Grind beans
Warm cup
Pour slooooowly
Drink hot
Write the Day

https://i.imgur.com/lzKUXOv.jpg?1

FredRydr
May 17th, 2018, 09:55 AM
WHAT?! No Pelikan Cafe Creme? No matter, the early resin 146 EF will do verrry nicely (better in fact).

AzJon
May 17th, 2018, 10:04 AM
WHAT?! No Pelikan Cafe Creme? No matter, the early resin 146 EF will do verrry nicely (better in fact).

One of my favorite pens. I had a sample of Robert Oster Cafe Crema, which is a lovely brown, but I used it all up. Really need to get on a full bottle...

azkid
May 17th, 2018, 10:51 AM
Good stuff. For me the morning starts with warming up the Gaggia, grinding, brewing and making an iced latte. Call it sacrilege but for me it makes every day better. On occasion I will even go so far as you roast my own beans (I <3 Sweet Maria's). What would I do without the stuff?? :)

AzJon
May 17th, 2018, 10:55 AM
Good stuff. For me the morning starts with warming up the Gaggia, grinding, brewing and making an iced latte. Call it sacrilege but for me it makes every day better. On occasion I will even go so far as you roast my own beans (I <3 Sweet Maria's). What would I do without the stuff?? :)

You do you, honey boo-boo.

I like fancy, delicious coffee, but won't knock someone for liking it a different way.

I've been toying with roasting my own for a while now, but have lacked the want to take that dive. I have a tendency to dive super deep into a topic and I've got three others occupying my mind at the moment, but soon...

azkid
May 17th, 2018, 11:20 AM
And roasting is one really deep rabit hole... All the types of beans, ranges of roast... Then espresso adds another maze to explore... Pressures, mass, time, grind, tamp... Ack.

AzJon
May 17th, 2018, 12:36 PM
And roasting is one really deep rabit hole... All the types of beans, ranges of roast... Then espresso adds another maze to explore... Pressures, mass, time, grind, tamp... Ack.

Yeah, I'm sure I'll get there some day, I'm just working on self restraint enough to not dig a new hole until I meticulously explore all the other ones first.

Jon Szanto
May 17th, 2018, 12:40 PM
Hey, he doesn't come around that often but you guys need to hook up with FPG'r Tim Hoffman (goes by "manoever", I think). He has a coffee business in the Pittsburgh area (I think?) and I see his stuff on Instagram all the time. He has started shipping his beans once or twice a month. I'm going to try to poke him and see if he'll check out this thread. His place is called The Coffee Mess.

Bold2013
May 17th, 2018, 01:13 PM
I do a little roasting and a lot of drinking. Stovetop espresso and a touch of heavy whipping is my favorite brew.

VertOlive
May 17th, 2018, 01:19 PM
So happy for coffee!

Jon Szanto
May 17th, 2018, 01:24 PM
Stovetop espresso and a touch of heavy whipping is my favorite brew.

That belongs in another subforum...

FredRydr
May 17th, 2018, 02:44 PM
Stovetop espresso and a touch of heavy whipping is my favorite brew.

That belongs in another subforum...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Wai0KpzGIPQ/SCCO3TqI8OI/AAAAAAAAAy8/0NDL9PxoRMI/s400/rick-louie-gambling.jpg
"I'm shocked, shocked...!

FredRydr
May 17th, 2018, 02:59 PM
So many addictions to choose from!

Foreground: early resin 146 EF just like AzJon's, a Pelikan Cafe Creme EF. The Rest: a semi-vintage (using pen lingo) '60s press reserved for caffeine (just replaced another glass beaker), a burr grinder, a vintage '50s silver-plate press (one of the first presses produced and PITA for fitting replacement glass) reserved for decaf, and two lbs. of local roast from a little shop next to Juniata College in Huntingdon, Pennsylvania USA. Oh, I'm not all snob; the big Costco bags of beans are under the counter.

manoeuver
May 17th, 2018, 03:13 PM
Hey, he doesn't come around that often but you guys need to hook up with FPG'r Tim Hoffman (goes by "manoever", I think). He has a coffee business in the Pittsburgh area (I think?) and I see his stuff on Instagram all the time. He has started shipping his beans once or twice a month. I'm going to try to poke him and see if he'll check out this thread. His place is called The Coffee Mess.

Thanks Jon! I check in daily but haven't had much to say of late.

I'm roasting coffee in Northwest Columbus OH (Hilliard to be exact.)

I'm a sponsor of the Ohio Pen Show- 2018 will be my third year.

If anybody has coffee questions, I've been in the biz for about 20 years, roasting for 6.

I do ship coffee at the end of every month.

I start my day with a whole pot of auto drip, and if I'm being good, a bout of Morning Pages to clear out the ol' skull...

Wuddus
May 17th, 2018, 03:29 PM
I only have maybe one or two cups of coffee a week. I don't get a lift from it the way most folks seem to. To me, coffee is a thoroughly effective laxative, only to be enjoyed when I'm not planning on leaving the house anytime soon. If I overdo it, I can end up feeling quite washed out rather than energised, and if I drank it everyday... well, I dread to think... reconstructive surgery probably...

AzJon
May 17th, 2018, 04:06 PM
I only have maybe one or two cups of coffee a week. I don't get a lift from it the way most folks seem to. To me, coffee is a thoroughly effective laxative, only to be enjoyed when I'm not planning on leaving the house anytime soon. If I overdo it, I can end up feeling quite washed out rather than energised, and if I drank it everyday... well, I dread to think... reconstructive surgery probably...

I don't get a "lift" per se, one cup of coffee barely phases me to be honest. I enjoy the flavors and my morning rituals. I'm usually up 30 minutes to an hour before the Mrs. to make my coffee and sip it in the early morning calm. I watch the birds and breathe in the day with my coffee. Its as much about the coffee drinking as it is the moment, the dharma of my father and my father's father, starting the day in silence with a hot cup of coffee.

FredRydr
May 17th, 2018, 07:07 PM
I like the scent of freshly ground beans. I wish coffee tasted like that.

penwash
May 17th, 2018, 09:30 PM
This thread reminded me of my previous hobby

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/123/369593057_21014e6080_o.jpg

Both my wife and I love coffee and she's the brewer in our house.

Empty_of_Clouds
May 17th, 2018, 09:42 PM
I've never got the buzz from coffee, same goes for my mother too. At one time a doctor I worked with would regularly bring me back a sack of coffee beans from the Blue Mountains in Jamaica (where he lived), and I would be happy enough drinking that. As an Englishman though my heart belongs to tea. And now being part of a Chinese family, that relationship has been strengthened. Tea all the way for me. There are still rituals enough if you want them. :)

AzJon
May 18th, 2018, 10:35 AM
I've never got the buzz from coffee, same goes for my mother too. At one time a doctor I worked with would regularly bring me back a sack of coffee beans from the Blue Mountains in Jamaica (where he lived), and I would be happy enough drinking that. As an Englishman though my heart belongs to tea. And now being part of a Chinese family, that relationship has been strenghtened. Tea all the way for me. There are still rituals enough if you want them. :)

I started with tea a number of years ago. I've got a handful of yixing pots and a respectable pu-erh collection. At some point in my tenure in San Francisco, I started dipping into the coffee world (while simultaneously frequenting tea shops) and never really went back. I still enjoy good teas and the ritual around them, but coffee supplanted my early morning routine.

Being a bit of an anglophile, tea is still consumed in the afternoon en masse. :)

ethernautrix
May 18th, 2018, 11:44 AM
I am, uh... here in Poland, in the cafes, the coffee is very, very tasty, but where I live, um... (prepare to gasp!) I drink instant. This thread might not be for me. Although I do have a small accumulation of coffee cups from various travels.

Also tea. Not instant. Bags and loose. I also like tea. ("Herbata" po polsku.) (Lubię herbatę.)

FredRydr
May 18th, 2018, 11:52 AM
I'm married to an Englishwoman. The four teapots were just out of the photo.

KrazyIvan
May 18th, 2018, 06:47 PM
Oh yeah, I love coffee.

https://scontent-dfw5-1.cdninstagram.com/vp/6f7de0fee5d8fb0ceb48ba6a5ac9ee96/5B8C8D29/t51.2885-15/e35/30591186_218454332073111_7349104426923065344_n.jpg

https://scontent-dfw5-1.cdninstagram.com/vp/bfe3cd65df5883a3bd919e08bb27c5b5/5B92C106/t51.2885-15/e35/27573686_578787265826879_3411988308467646464_n.jpg

https://scontent-dfw5-1.cdninstagram.com/vp/c69549b67dd23f303444e264f48b164d/5B7F7A39/t51.2885-15/e35/19122318_307951159647532_2821183958828449792_n.jpg

Best budget coffee I've found.
https://scontent-dfw5-1.cdninstagram.com/vp/aeba772198e441b0d4a1095fd0f2c4af/5B7F9CFA/t51.2885-15/e35/17587122_395182310862819_5323291691975704576_n.jpg

Kaputnik
May 19th, 2018, 04:34 PM
As with pens, I have more Coffee gear than I strictly need. Particularly for someone who drinks all coffee black (except for a little sugar in Turkish coffee only) and uses all dark roasts (except that Turkish coffee uses a medium roast).

For years I've been using a French press, but lately I've been experimenting with pour over makers and an Aero Press for travel. I got a collapsible electric kettle to heat up the water.

I have four hand grinders set up. One for coarse grind, one for medium fine, one for extra fine, and one for the powdery Turkish grind.

But it's an odd thing about caffeine, I've never noticed it having any effect on me at all; and I wake up at the same speed if for some reason I have to go without coffee entirely; I just like having it. I avoid decaf on principle; somehow it just seems wrong, but apparently some people are genuinely "sensitive" to it. Human physiology is an odd thing.

Wuddus
May 19th, 2018, 04:48 PM
As regards "kit", my set up is incredibly simple. I have a cafetiere for fresh coffee, but two out of every three cups I drink will be instant. Sometimes I might go a month without any fresh coffee in the house. Likewise with tea, I do have a decent sized teapot, but mostly I'll just brew up with a teabag in a mug. I'm never without teabags at home though. I don't buy decaffeinated anything. If I want caffeine free, I'll drink something else.

FredRydr
May 19th, 2018, 06:53 PM
https://www.pelikan.com/pulse/vfs-public/exclusive/products/classic-special-editions/classic-m-200-cafe-creme-large.png

AzJon
May 20th, 2018, 08:58 AM
My daily kit is simple pourover with Melitta filters and a ceramic pourover that my wife made.

I also have a German "Kaffe Kanne" which is pictured above that is all ceramic and does not use a paper filter, but has crosshatched ceramic that does the filtering job. Makes a cleaner cup than a french press while maintaining that nice oil.

I've really been thinking of getting a Nano-presso for home espresso shots because I can't, in any reality, drop multiple thousands of dollars (or counter space) on a good-to-decent espresso machine.

FredRydr
May 20th, 2018, 10:36 AM
I just make stronger coffee in my press by adding more grounds.

Jon Szanto
May 20th, 2018, 11:37 AM
I think it is pretty funny, the whole pour-over thing. I actually thought it must be something else and went to a couple of places to have it. Nope, it's just the same as the Melitta setup I used in college back in the 70s. The first local coffee roaster had opened in town and suggested I either use that system or a french press. Being a college student I went the less expensive route. Got one of the gold mesh filters so I wouldn't have to keep buying paper cones.

Now it's pour-over. Everything old is new again.

Two recent tastes, via p-o, at the lovely coffee bar at station KEXP in Seattle...

https://i.imgur.com/jlWMsgP.jpg

FredRydr
May 20th, 2018, 01:21 PM
In the coffee shop I’m in right now in New Oxford, Pennsylvania.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180520/a3f5182d378abe9a1ab9fc7a8a5dbb01.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180520/74ba21e90cad7561159ed5e354db681e.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180520/d1b1d32c44afb0007086d84204f80239.jpg

Jon Szanto
May 20th, 2018, 02:13 PM
In the shop I’m in right now in New Oxford, Pennsylvania.

Well, yes, there is that. On the wall of the above-mentioned coffee area, a quote by the Italian coffee master who inspired the location:

https://scontent.fsan1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/30743265_1822017357821758_8249579462182921246_n.jp g?_nc_cat=0&oh=eea347940eec86c2357a5e12a1180d4f&oe=5B87D3C1

FredRydr
May 20th, 2018, 04:11 PM
Well, yes, there is that. On the wall of the above-mentioned coffee area, a quote by the Italian coffee master who inspired the location....
You're trying to out-class me! Well, New Oxford isn't exactly the crossroads of civilization. On the other hand, there are lots of antiques shops here for hunting pens in the wild.

Jon Szanto
May 20th, 2018, 04:44 PM
Well, yes, there is that. On the wall of the above-mentioned coffee area, a quote by the Italian coffee master who inspired the location....
You're trying to out-class me! Well, New Oxford isn't exactly the crossroads of civilization. On the other hand, there are lots of antiques shops here for hunting pens in the wild.

Not at all, those are great. Just had it handy from a trip a couple weeks ago.

AzJon
May 20th, 2018, 05:58 PM
I think it is pretty funny, the whole pour-over thing. I actually thought it must be something else and went to a couple of places to have it. Nope, it's just the same as the Melitta setup I used in college back in the 70s. The first local coffee roaster had opened in town and suggested I either use that system or a french press. Being a college student I went the less expensive route. Got one of the gold mesh filters so I wouldn't have to keep buying paper cones.

Now it's pour-over. Everything old is new again.

Indeed it is. Allows for more control for the brewer with timing and temperature than a machine (unless you drop a small fortune on one). It also allows coffee shops to offer samples of a wider selection of roasts/beans without needing to have dozens of coffee pots ready to go.

Jon Szanto
May 20th, 2018, 06:38 PM
Indeed it is. Allows for more control for the brewer with timing and temperature than a machine (unless you drop a small fortune on one). It also allows coffee shops to offer samples of a wider selection of roasts/beans without needing to have dozens of coffee pots ready to go.

Also labor-intensive AF. Makes sense to me on a home level, but it just cracks me up at the local pop-ups (one right next to Symphony Hall, my office) with a line of people waiting for the drip... drip... drip...

But, yeah, probably a great way to make a fine cup.

FredRydr
May 23rd, 2018, 05:31 AM
And then there's another coffee-themed item...

Though I've owned it for a few years, I've not noticed until now that the blob on the bottle's label is a coffee bean!

oldstoat
May 23rd, 2018, 09:58 AM
Chronologically I've had two percolators, three filter machines, half a dozen cafetieres, a couple of stove top thingies- you know, the octagonal aluminium things, and now an Aerporess. The Aeropress is good but I do like the cafetiere and occasionally the stovetop one. But the treat is the result, not the means.

Bzzer
May 23rd, 2018, 10:55 AM
Nice garden too Stoat.

Anyone else prefer their coffee from an earthenware mug, ideally without a glaze.

Something like this -

http://www.giskaa.com/earthenware-clay-round-coffeetea-cup-longpi-black-pottery

TMac
May 23rd, 2018, 04:02 PM

Thanks Jon! I check in daily but haven't had much to say of late.

I'm roasting coffee in Northwest Columbus OH (Hilliard to be exact.)

I'm a sponsor of the Ohio Pen Show- 2018 will be my third year.

If anybody has coffee questions, I've been in the biz for about 20 years, roasting for 6.

I do ship coffee at the end of every month.

I start my day with a whole pot of auto drip, and if I'm being good, a bout of Morning Pages to clear out the ol' skull...

Tim, glad to here everything is good. I met you a few years ago when you were with Zekes in Baltimore. I still go there every Saturday morning!

Craig Ruhl
May 29th, 2018, 09:54 PM
Best time of day for me is early morning, before turning on the computer, TV, or radio. I sit in my reading/writing nook with some freshly brewed coffee along with my journal, pen, ink, and thoughts. On a really good day, that time can last for many hours.

usk15
May 30th, 2018, 12:54 AM
An old photo, still enjoying espresso and pens:

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5466/17958977291_09ddaec287_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/tmYsgv)

manoeuver
May 30th, 2018, 08:11 AM
Tim, glad to here everything is good. I met you a few years ago when you were with Zekes in Baltimore. I still go there every Saturday morning!

The new cafe is awesome, isn't it?

I'll touch base next time I'm in town and we'll grab a cup!

chalkdust
June 4th, 2018, 07:16 AM
I had no idea that the fountain pen set and the coffee roasting set would have such a large intersection. I have been wasting coffee at home for 17 years now. However, I am by no means an expert at anything other than Just The Way I Like It.