View Full Version : Icicle? Transitional?

May 8th, 2013, 05:56 PM
So...I have seen these terms. What do these terms refer to? Are they more valuable and why???

May 8th, 2013, 06:56 PM
Richard Binder has some good resources (http://www.richardspens.com/?page=ref/profiles/j.htm) on this. Esterbrook.net (http://www.esterbrook.net/index.shtml) is also a really nice resource.

Essentially the Transitional pens are ones that show characteristics of earlier Dollar Pens, such as the flat bottoms, and characteristics of the newer J series, such as the stepped cap jewel.

Icicle is one of the finishes you find on J series pens. But both sites say all of this better than I do, and with photos to boot. :)

As to value... the value has more to do with scarcity than anything, and these less common models and finishes create their own demand among collectors. Intrinsically, they are simply other well-made, nicely functioning Esterbrooks.

May 8th, 2013, 07:11 PM
Many thanks for the information!\gforce

Jon Szanto
May 8th, 2013, 10:06 PM
As long as you are talking about "Esterbrooks" and "value", be sure to see the set that new member Procyon posted here (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/2398-How-About-Some-Estie-Pics?p=26816&viewfull=1#post26816) - a set in the quite rare finish known as "cracked ice".