PDA

View Full Version : Another take on diaries and journals, from Lynda Barry

Jon Szanto
May 21st, 2018, 09:29 PM
Came across this tonight - while certainly not fp specific, there is an abundance of creative thought going on here and a very motivating catalyst for people who are visually oriented to chronicle their days.

Lynda Barry’s Illustrated Field Guide to Keeping a Visual Diary and Cultivating a Capacity for Creative Observation (https://www.brainpickings.org/2014/12/02/lynda-barry-syllabus-book/)

https://i0.wp.com/www.brainpickings.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/lyndabarry_syllabus6.jpg?w=500&ssl=1

VertOlive
May 21st, 2018, 09:38 PM
Enjoying this, I'm thinking my journal would turn into a cross between The Oatmeal and H.P. Lovecraft.

Might be worth a shot...

Jon Szanto
May 21st, 2018, 11:19 PM
Employing this, I'm thinking my journal would turn into a cross between The Oatmeal and H.P. Lovecraft.

Might be worth a shot...

Honestly? That sounds fantastic!

Lady Onogaro
May 21st, 2018, 11:54 PM
Employing this, I'm thinking my journal would turn into a cross between The Oatmeal and H.P. Lovecraft.

Might be worth a shot...

You might have a bestseller on your hands. :)

suzy01
May 22nd, 2018, 02:32 AM
This is awesome. I tried art journaling and couldn't really get the hang of it. I think it's because my life is very dull and my brain hamsters don't really get on the wheel too often 🤣 I already draw my fellow comuters Teehee. Maybe I should give it another shot

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Sailor Kenshin
May 22nd, 2018, 06:37 AM
Loving cartoony stuff, I would have to say, Cute.

pajaro
May 24th, 2018, 02:40 PM
Drawing a cartoon to encapsulate the day: it would give you time to plot your revenge.

azkid
May 24th, 2018, 04:15 PM
I am not much for journalling or haven't been. It always ends up with a lot of "maybe", "perhaps", and "I wonder" ... But with dumb stuff in between. :D

I can see the value of just recording things happening like that. Hmm.

Plus I have a lot of ink samples to try.

What's there to lose? :)

FredRydr
July 8th, 2020, 08:53 AM
There's this: Step-by-Step — Writing A Personal History (https://www.atlasobscura.com/experiences/step-by-step-writing-a-personal-history)

https://assets.atlasobscura.com/media/W1siZiIsInVwbG9hZHMvZXhwZXJpZW5jZV9zZXJpZXNfaW1hZ2 VzL2U3NWI1M2YwLTQxYjQtNDcxZS1iODliLWNiNmMwZWUzMTI3 ZDQzN2M3ODlmZjQ0ZTVlYmJlNl9JTUdfMzcxNi5qcGciXSxbIn AiLCJ0aHVtYiIsIjExNjB4MTE2MCMiXSxbInAiLCJjb252ZXJ0 IiwiLXF1YWxpdHkgODEgLWF1dG8tb3JpZW50Il1d/IMG_3716.jpg

Ole Juul
July 8th, 2020, 12:22 PM
I'm in my 70's now and I've recently started writing down stories from my early childhood. It started with a little note book that my wife gave me. She started doing book binding a few years ago and it's a lovely little book. Sewn, with a painted cover, and 100% cotton bookmarked paper. It sat around for a couple of years. I just didn't want to spoil another notebook with a couple pages of irrelevant stuff, and then abandon it - as has happened so many times in the past.

Anyway, my wife passed away some months back, and I looked at that little book, and all of a sudden I realized what I wanted to write. I don't know howt the inspiration came, but all of a sudden I knew my voice and how to proceed.

I knew I had to use a fountain pen for this project, so I got my go to, which is a cheap model of Sheaffer. I've used that a lot, on and off over the years, and had two cartridges of black left. Anyway, when I went to find more cartridges, it turns out that what used to be carried by all drug stores and stationers, was no longer available, and they were an ungodly price on Amazon (over $12 for pkg of 6). Apparently they don't make a converter for these pens and the cartridges are proprietary. I've got 5 of these pens because I thought they should last me for the rest of my life. Well, the result it that I've said goodbye to Shaeffer for good - I'll never buy another product of theirs.

So, I went online to find a low end pen that I could identify with in the same way, and which used standard cartridges. That led me to the Kaweco Skyline Sport in the red fox color. I wasn't quite happy with the performance of the Kaweco ink - in their own pen even! Especially on this absorbent and rough paper. So I thought I'd try the mini converter, which I had enough foresight to order with it. I also had a bottle of Noodler's 54th Massachusetts left over from an earlier interest in fountain pens about four years ago. Bingo! I found the winning combination. Now I've got a pen that I can love, and which I'll be able to use for some years, unlike the Sheaffer. Now I won't run out of ink.

I'm over half way through my little book now, and still going strong. For some reason my memories of even when I was three are coming to me again. And like I say, I've found my voice - how I want to say it, and from the right (for me) perspective.

whych
July 8th, 2020, 04:51 PM
@Ole Juul
Keep the old cartridges and refill them using a ink from a bottle and a syringe.
If you don't have an old cartridge either buy some vintage ones on ebay or, I am sure a member closer to you will send you a couple.
Sheaffer carts can be refilled many times and last a long time.

Bottled ink is far cheaper than cartridges for any brand, plus it lets you try different inks: brand and colour!

Ole Juul
July 8th, 2020, 05:15 PM
Thankyou @whych. Well, I tend to feel and speak strongly about things, but I'm really much more flexible in real life. :) so I have a few empty cartridges and will considered refilling. Nice to know Shaeffer carts can be refilled many times. All is not lost.

Actually it looks like those pens might convert to eyedropper. Well see what happens. I'm quite happy to move on to the Kaweco now that I've gotten my head (and heart) around the situation. Since I started reading about pens and discovered the possibility of eyedropper operation, that elegant solution to keeping a pen inked really appeals to me.

Indeed bottled ink is the best. I just used the carts at first because of old habits and convenience and the Kaweco had that configuration, but now that I've committed to using pen and ink going forward, it'll be bottles all the way. And probably eyedropper all the way too.

Cyril
July 28th, 2020, 05:51 AM
I am into journaling and It is very hard to get into a start. It is becouse most of us have diffecult in filling the book although it is easy thing to get the book.

"Put all your thoughts onto the book in words and see how they will realise into your real ( inreality there is no real world iit is all your imagination) life." --JIM RHONE.

sharmon202
July 30th, 2020, 02:21 PM
I am starting my 2nd 5 year journal. I get them from Levenger and ever page has 5 sections for one page has the same date but the next years. It was interesting to see what we were dong that day last year. Some days I did not write in it, some days I wish I had more space. The last half of 2018 was completely empty due to health problems. I am finally able to get back to doing some things I like. I tink it made me more aware as I reviewed the day.

FredRydr
November 6th, 2020, 08:59 AM
FYI: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/writing-a-personal-history-with-hadley-meares-and-jessica-leigh-hester-tickets-125047056111