PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Blue-Black

liapuyat
May 9th, 2013, 12:16 AM
Hi everyone! I have a vintage bottle of Pilot Blue-Black (bought from an old bookstore that has since closed down), and I really like the flow and water resistance of it. Is the current production Pilot Blue-Black similarly water-resistant? Because if so, I might pay a visit to Jetpens...

Nonsensical
May 9th, 2013, 12:40 AM
Yes, I have a bottle of Pilot BB that I purchased recently, and it is indeed a great ink. Water resistant and good flow. Definitely worth getting some more.

liapuyat
May 9th, 2013, 01:44 AM
Thanks, Nonsensical! I was thinking of getting it to ink in a new Pilot Custom 823 :) It's one of those lower-maintenance blue-blacks I don't have to worry about in a vac-filler.

Nonsensical
May 9th, 2013, 03:25 AM
If you like low maintenance blue-blacks, I would also have a look at Platinum BB as well. It's not AS water resistant as Pilot BB until it's given some time to dry (at least 10 minutes), but it's also a great ink.

reprieve
May 9th, 2013, 06:52 AM
Pilot Blue-black is one of my go-to inks. I love it! The flow is generous, the color is lovely, it shades nicely, it cleans up easily and is generally low-maintenance (no clogging or hard starting!), and the water-resistance is just a really big bonus. Pilot Blue is similarly well-behaving and water-resistant, but I like the color of Blue-black even better.

Platinum Blue-black is a really nice ink also, and it is indeed water-resistant, but it can be a bit pale in some pens. It has an interesting grey tinge that changes shades; it's pretty but, more often than not, I prefer Pilot Blue-black's vibrancy.

Laura N
May 9th, 2013, 06:56 AM
Pilot Blue Black is a fantastic ink. I really like the color; it emphasizes the blue in blue black.

Frank
May 9th, 2013, 08:02 AM
It IS a great ink, but I wish it were darker...

More Blue than "Blue-Black" to me.

Frank

The Good Captain
May 10th, 2013, 01:37 AM
I just wish I could get it from a European source.

Margana
May 10th, 2013, 02:19 AM
Pilot BBk is very smooth and even shades a little with my Namiki Falcon SF.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8525/8583544205_55e25a631c_z.jpg

jde
May 10th, 2013, 10:12 AM
Just adding to the "Yays" for Pilot Blue-Black. I got hooked, too, via a vintage bottle of the stuff. The current production seems the same to this ol' scribbler. Pilot B-B, and Namiki Blue are my every day inks.

I order the 350ml refill bottles of Pilot B-B from Japan via ebay. Pretty decent price per ml even with shipping.

The Good Captain
May 10th, 2013, 10:33 AM
I'll have a look into that idea.