PDA

View Full Version : unknown Duofold...

Mod_wolves
May 9th, 2013, 12:45 PM
Hi guys my dad was cleaning out the loft the other day and found two pens that he has given to me.

i've had a look and it does say On the barrel it says Parker CEO. S. Parker REG. TM. DUOFOLD. i tried to get this on the pictures but i don't think it came out.

It's length (capped) is 131mm if that helps?

after doing some searching the only thing I can compare it to is a herringbone. But for the life of me I can't find any info on this style or it's possible age, I've found lots of pictures of green and and a couple red herringbone but none of this one which is like a golden brown

Does anyone have any info on this pen?

I have tried and FPN and a couple of people have tried (which i was very grateful for) but it would appear no one there has heard of it? (unless it's so common they've just left it haha)

It's in need of some serious tlc. I'm tinkering with pen repair but because of the sentimental value I'd rather get it professionally done.

Thanks for looking.

piscov
May 9th, 2013, 01:19 PM
Uau!! its a wonderful celluloid. I´ve never seem this on any Parker or in any other pen to be honest... maybe David Isacson can cast some light on it. The pen looks in very good shape. Maybe just needing a new sac.

Looks to be a streamlined Duofold. Pictures of the nib, clip and a pictures without the rear knob to see the filling mechanism would also help.

Laura N
May 9th, 2013, 01:57 PM
Whoa, that's amazing. Does it have a date?

I'd send it to Ron Zorn, FWIW, for restoration.

ETA: Sorry, I just noticed that you are in the UK.

rick propas
May 9th, 2013, 02:42 PM
You might try contacting Tony Fischier through his website
http://parkercollector.com/
if anyone would know about it, it would be he.

Laura N
May 9th, 2013, 02:46 PM
And while Rick was writing that, I happened to be on the parkercollector website, here (http://parkercollector.com/duofold.html), where there are two other unusual Duofold materials, one of which looks pretty similar to yours.

carlc
May 9th, 2013, 02:59 PM
Whoa, that's amazing. Does it have a date?

I'd send it to Ron Zorn, FWIW, for restoration.

ETA: Sorry, I just noticed that you are in the UK.

Send it to Eric Wilson http://eckiethump.webs.com/

david i
May 9th, 2013, 05:13 PM
Uau!! its a wonderful celluloid. I´ve never seem this on any Parker or in any other pen to be honest... maybe David Isacson can cast some light on it. The pen looks in very good shape. Maybe just needing a new sac.

Looks to be a streamlined Duofold. Pictures of the nib, clip and a pictures without the rear knob to see the filling mechanism would also help.

Hi,

Piscov pointed me at this thread, so I dragged myself away over from muh wee other board to look.

Your pen looks to be an English Parker Duofold, which offered a number of herringbone celluloids, both longitudinally and helically wrapped. I have pink and green pens at home. While the style is that of the USA's streamlined Duofold (1929-1935), in England I believe these were offered in the early 1940's, giving way in 1946-ish to the marbled Duofold that has shape and cap-band of a USA Parker Vacumatic.

These are desirable though the market is not broad as for USA pens, thus they are not nearly as valuable as their scarcity (relative to USA typical colors) would suggest.

Often the nibs are a bit smaller than those found in similar size USA pens of similar shape from prior decade.

The pens typically do not carry date codes.

I would expect a "Duofold" imprint on barrel, though often these imprints are faint on the English pens.

Very nice find.

regards

david

JMT
May 10th, 2013, 12:47 AM
Amazing pen. Congrats. Keep it.

Mod_wolves
May 10th, 2013, 02:04 PM
Thanks guys that's so much help.

Ill let the family know they're all interested to know more about the pen.

It's definitely a keeper. It has too much sentimental value.

Farmboy
May 10th, 2013, 10:34 PM
Nice pen. Reminds one of the pens made by Valentine around WW II. I believe I have one in green though the cap has a nasty split at the seem. As mentioned the we're made from rolled and fused sheet.