PDA

View Full Version : Aurora nib sizes

carrolljc
May 30th, 2018, 09:22 PM
I'm fairly new to fountain pens. I understand that Japanese pens tend to run a size or so smaller than European pens. I'm looking at an Aurora Optima and wondering whether the extra fine would be equivalent to a Japanese fine.

RocketRyan
May 30th, 2018, 10:48 PM
The fine on my optima is the finest fine I have, but that may not be true for all.

rubendh
May 31st, 2018, 04:22 AM
I know it's not much of a help but my broad is like an actual broad

catbert
May 31st, 2018, 06:24 AM
Have you tried the nib comparison tool on the Goulet site?

carrolljc
May 31st, 2018, 09:13 AM
Thanks for those tips. I'll try the Goulet nib comparison tool.

Robert
May 31st, 2018, 04:45 PM
Here's another tipping size resource from CFP: https://www.nibs.com/content/nib-tipping-sizes

carrolljc
May 31st, 2018, 11:32 PM
Here's another tipping size resource from CFP: https://www.nibs.com/content/nib-tipping-sizes

Thanks, Robert. That's very helpful. That clears things up a lot. Lamy isn't on there, but I suspect Lamy is similar to Pelikan. One of my first pens was the Lamy Al Star. I got it and a Pilot Metropolitan together, both in a fine point. The Metropolitan suited me perfectly. The Lamy was way too broad for my particular handwriting style. So I got the Lamy XF nib to replace the fine nib. STILL too broad.

I see that the Pelian XF is .4mm. The Pilot fine is .3 mm. So the Pelikan doesn't go down as far as I need it to go, even in XF. My Lamy 2000 XF is too broad for my preference also, but I can kind of make it work by slanting the nib.

With this chart, I can see that the Aurora XF (.3) would hit my sweet spot. When I come to buy another good pen, I'll probably looking at an Aurora XF. Montegrappa in XF would be another possibility.

FredRydr
June 1st, 2018, 06:45 AM
Mind you, a 0.1mm difference can arise just from manufacturing variance. You might be better off by have someone like Mike Masuyama fabricate a custom needlepoint to your specification from a steel Bock, Pelikan, Jowo (etc.) nib/feed unit to pop into a pen you already own.

RocketRyan
June 1st, 2018, 01:38 PM
GVFC extra fine is very pleasant.

carrolljc
June 1st, 2018, 05:45 PM
GVFC extra fine is very pleasant.

I had not thought of them. I just looked them up. Very appealing pens. I'll add them to my list of pens to consider when I come to buy another.