PDA

View Full Version : Pilot's Waverley nib

gylyf
May 9th, 2013, 10:47 PM
Hi, everyone. The video on this (http://www.asahiyakami.co.jp/shop/pilot_custom743/pilot_custom743.htm) page has me curious about Pilot's Waverley nib. Does anyone have any experience with it, by any chance? Thanks,

David

hari317
May 9th, 2013, 11:35 PM
David, I have a 742 WA nib which I have used for some time so i think I know about this nib. what would you like to know about it?

gylyf
May 10th, 2013, 12:36 AM
I'm mainly interested in how it compares to a normal Pilot M (assuming I'm correct in thinking the WA is closest to a M). Is it smoother? Wetter? I suppose I'm curious as to how the experience of writing with one differs from other round nibs. I've read the descriptions of the nib, but I'm still not sure I understand what its purpose is. Thanks!

hari317
May 10th, 2013, 01:43 AM
I'm mainly interested in how it compares to a normal Pilot M (assuming I'm correct in thinking the WA is closest to a M). Is it smoother? Wetter? I suppose I'm curious as to how the experience of writing with one differs from other round nibs. I've read the descriptions of the nib, but I'm still not sure I understand what its purpose is. Thanks!

The line width is comparable to the plain pilot medium of which I have an example. FWIW, I did not find it any different than the plain M.

Usually nibs are shaped so that there is a smooth pad on the tipping underside that contacts the paper. if you tend to rotate the pen(thus nib) as you move on the page from left to right or top to bottom, only a part of the pad will touch the paper so it will lead to a less than optimal smooth feeling. Thus, normal nibs are rotation sensitive. By bending the tines upwards like in the WA nib, I think what happens is that more of the pad touches the paper despite rotation and even a push stroke, thus a slightly smoother feeling nib results.

HTH.

gylyf
May 10th, 2013, 06:54 AM
It does, thanks. What's always puzzled me about the nib is that, precisely for the reasons you've cited, you tend to see Waverley nibs on superfine tips, not medium tips. I've always found the tipping on Pilot's mediums to be generous enough to not pose a problem. Hearing it's no different than a regular M in terms of writing experience definitely makes it less of a must-have. Best,

David

Laura N
May 10th, 2013, 07:48 AM
I am always a little confused about the "Waverly" term, but these do remind me of Sheaffer's Triumph nibs. I have used Triumph nibs extensively, and based only on that I agree that the upturned nib has no effect on line width. But at least with Sheaffer, the upturned nib does give a different writing feel. To me, there is an extra smooth feel as you write with a Triumph nib. It's like the ride in a classic Cadillac. I love Hari's explanation for that; it makes perfect sense.

iosepus
May 10th, 2013, 10:19 PM
In my limited experience, I would say the Pilot size 10 waverly nib is closer to a F nib than to an M.

2601 (http://estilofilos.blogspot.jp/2011/08/size-10.html)

2602 (http://estilofilos.blogspot.jp/2011/08/size-10.html)

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Iosepus (http://estilofilos.blogspot.com)

gylyf
May 10th, 2013, 10:31 PM
Very much so, thanks!

David

cedargirl
May 10th, 2013, 10:33 PM
I agree with Laura. I use a Sheaffer Triumph nib that is upturned (although Sheaffer never used the Waverley term, due to copyright, I understand). For a steel fine tipped nib it is very smooth. And thinking on what Hari said, this shaped nib is definitely an advantage on F or smaller nibs on the push stroke - which is when they are at their most vulnerable. I generally don't like writing with very fine nibs for this reason; but the Waverley shape is very smooth.

jacksterp
May 11th, 2013, 06:40 AM
Iosepus - never saw the nibs compared like that.

Thanks for this very informative post!

Wubi
March 1st, 2015, 11:33 PM
I remember reading that the WA nib is based on (or bent from?) the FM nib.

moynihan
January 22nd, 2016, 05:16 AM
I have a number of Pilot/Namiki pens. A Custom 742 with a WA is for me, my smoothest Pilot nib. But it not "soft" like the Pilot soft nibs. I would say if want uber-smooth and do not seek line variation, you might want to check the WA out.