PDA

View Full Version : This place is a ghost town!

caleath
May 10th, 2013, 02:06 PM
I suppose all that complaining about Fpn was some hot air. Traffic seems to be way down recently.

david i
May 10th, 2013, 02:09 PM
All in good time, son...

regards

d

KrazyIvan
May 10th, 2013, 02:15 PM
Ghost? Where?

caleath
May 10th, 2013, 02:21 PM
Ghost? Where?

He is behind you!

Marsilius
May 10th, 2013, 02:39 PM
Nobody here but us ghosts:

THE LISTENERS

by: Walter de la Mare (b. 1873)

'S there anybody there?' said the Traveller,
Knocking on the moonlit door;
And his horse in the silence champ'd the grasses
Of the forest's ferny floor:
And a bird flew up out of the turret,
Above the Traveller's head:
And he smote upon the door again a second time;
'Is there anybody there?' he said.
But no one descended to the Traveller;
No head from the leaf-fringed sill
Lean'd over and look'd into his grey eyes,
Where he stood perplex'd and still.
But only a host of phantom listeners
That dwelt in the lone house then
Stood listening in the quiet of the moonlight
To that voice from the world of men:
Stood thronging the faint moonbeams on the dark stair,
That goes down to the empty hall,
Hearkening in an air stirr'd and shaken
By the lonely Traveller's call.
And he felt in his heart their strangeness,
Their stillness answering his cry,
While his horse moved, cropping the dark turf,
'Neath the starr'd and leafy sky;
For he suddenly smote on the door, even
Louder, and lifted his head:--
'Tell them I came, and no one answer'd,
That I kept my word,' he said.
Never the least stir made the listeners,
Though every word he spake
Fell echoing through the shadowiness of the still house
From the one man left awake:
Ay, they heard his foot upon the stirrup,
And the sound of iron on stone,
And how the silence surged softly backward,
When the plunging hoofs were gone.

drgoretex
May 10th, 2013, 03:55 PM
I suspect there will be some who go back to mostly hanging out there, and some who prefer to continue hanging out here. What can ya do?

Ken

Manny
May 10th, 2013, 04:29 PM
http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/gclef1114/Tutuguans/0510131827-1_zps4e9e797e.jpg

JustinJ
May 10th, 2013, 04:55 PM
It is does not bother me that there are not as many people at FPG. I enjoy conversation with a few interesting people than a room full. I have already noticed some of the people from the Land of the Rising Sun Sub Forum joining FPG.

ardgedee
May 10th, 2013, 05:12 PM
I suppose all that complaining about Fpn was some hot air. Traffic seems to be way down recently.

Hey, I just got here!

caleath
May 10th, 2013, 05:33 PM

Hey, I just got here!

We are glad you're here.

ethernautrix
May 10th, 2013, 06:10 PM
Not all traffic is worth playing in. Heh.

AltecGreen
May 10th, 2013, 06:15 PM
http://youtu.be/slmb4ZZ5pkY

cwent2
May 10th, 2013, 06:16 PM
I for one enjoy the atmosphere here, folks have helped me and not treated me with disdain for asking a "newbie" (hate that term) question

cwent2
May 10th, 2013, 06:20 PM
Just ordered a TWSBI 580 - they were out of fine nib so I ordered medium - then I saw they had fine nib unit so I asked could I do a nib swap, was told no can't do that "but you are welcome to order the fine nib unit" Is it me or would that miff you?

earthdawn
May 10th, 2013, 06:36 PM
Boo !

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac10/thevaporcafe/579B71FD-BA38-4EFD-8B34-230122FE45A3-3385-000000D7469FD3DF_zpsc46ac210.jpg

Laura N
May 10th, 2013, 06:58 PM
Just ordered a TWSBI 580 - they were out of fine nib so I ordered medium - then I saw they had fine nib unit so I asked could I do a nib swap, was told no can't do that "but you are welcome to order the fine nib unit" Is it me or would that miff you?

Naw, that's how TWSBI does it. It happened to me with the 540 and I had to order the 1.1 stub separately. But it was worth it -- great stub.

jacksterp
May 10th, 2013, 07:08 PM
I, for one, have always enjoyed a good ghost story.

toc
May 10th, 2013, 07:27 PM
I like the fact that there's less traffic here. Less time wasted weeding though repetitive threads.

ardgedee
May 10th, 2013, 07:38 PM
We are glad you're here.

Thanks and I'm glad to be here.

More seriously -- it was only a couple weeks ago that I rekindled an old obsession with pens. fpgeeks was the first forum I started reading, and was the first site I joined.

When FPN came back up, I got an account there too, but of the two boards this one has been more useful; There seems to be greater interest here in lower-end and practical pens, and the long thread about Chinese pens (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/541-So-What-s-the-Story-on-Chinese-Pens) was better than anything I could readily find on FPN, and it came at a time when I was trying to decide what to get for my first FP in years.*

I figure I'll continue keeping an eye on both sites and there's no reason not to, but currently I enjoy this site more.

*(A Nemosine EF which has turned out to be a good writer on all kinds of paper, even the junkiest office notepad. Didn't see KrazyIvan's review of the Nemosine (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/785-Nemosine-Sungularity-Hand-Written-Review) until after buying them, weirdly enough, though I can more or less second his opinions. Unfortunately, the Nemosine F my wife got at the same time hasn't been as good, and we might exchange it if it doesn't improve with other inks.)

Jon Szanto
May 10th, 2013, 08:01 PM

inky
May 10th, 2013, 09:00 PM

This to me has always been my impression of the FPGeeks Forum and website. I much prefer to be here then on FPN anytime. For me, this place feels like home where as FPN feels like visiting my parents... nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there! :)

jbb
May 10th, 2013, 10:06 PM
:grouphug: I'm in.

heraclitus682
May 10th, 2013, 10:17 PM
I'm here. I don't contribute much, but I'm here. I still stop by FPN but I seem to stay here more and more.

cedargirl
May 10th, 2013, 10:39 PM
There's a lot of useful information on the FPN site, so I'll still go there from time to time, if it's info I'm after.
But this site is much nicer to just hang out on, generally.
But I do hope we can avoid too many (yes, I know that is subjective) junk threads with a lot of dross in them, just for the sake of someone's thread count.

Zanshin
May 11th, 2013, 01:15 AM
I for one enjoy the atmosphere here, folks have helped me and not treated me with disdain for asking a "newbie" (hate that term) question

Same here, but to be honest, I could say exactly the same about FPN.

manoeuver
May 11th, 2013, 05:32 AM
A year ago I chose this forum over the big one just because I could wrap my mind around the amount of activity here. Since then I've also met the proprietors in person (and several of the community members too) and can vouch for their awesomeness.

For those refugees who choose to continue to hang out here: welcome welcome welcome.

I am glad the other place is back up.

Sailor Kenshin
May 11th, 2013, 05:59 AM
We are glad you're here.

Thanks and I'm glad to be here.

More seriously -- it was only a couple weeks ago that I rekindled an old obsession with pens. fpgeeks was the first forum I started reading, and was the first site I joined.

When FPN came back up, I got an account there too, but of the two boards this one has been more useful; There seems to be greater interest here in lower-end and practical pens, and the long thread about Chinese pens (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/541-So-What-s-the-Story-on-Chinese-Pens) was better than anything I could readily find on FPN, and it came at a time when I was trying to decide what to get for my first FP in years.*

I figure I'll continue keeping an eye on both sites and there's no reason not to, but currently I enjoy this site more.

*(A Nemosine EF which has turned out to be a good writer on all kinds of paper, even the junkiest office notepad. Didn't see KrazyIvan's review of the Nemosine (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/785-Nemosine-Sungularity-Hand-Written-Review) until after buying them, weirdly enough, though I can more or less second his opinions. Unfortunately, the Nemosine F my wife got at the same time hasn't been as good, and we might exchange it if it doesn't improve with other inks.)

Go Nemo! I currently have three. Might get a fourth.

Annie
May 11th, 2013, 07:25 AM

mhguda
May 11th, 2013, 08:17 AM
What's that ink!?
I'm still here. Not a ghost.

Marsilius
May 11th, 2013, 09:39 AM

Cool. Deep, dude!

carlos.q
May 11th, 2013, 10:28 AM
I ain't afraid of no ghost! :dance3:

Pendragon
May 11th, 2013, 11:27 AM
This place does have spirit! :)

southpaw52
May 11th, 2013, 11:46 AM
This is the cool place to hang out and discuss our geek for fp.

KrazyIvan
May 11th, 2013, 12:06 PM

Annie
May 11th, 2013, 02:42 PM
What's that ink!?

http://www.artisanpastellier.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=203&osCsid=nmjtocebrazrpbx

silver seller
May 11th, 2013, 02:47 PM
I like this forum I have been to the other but to be honest this is friendly and informative enough the other one is too big and seems to be run more like a buisness

seffrican
May 11th, 2013, 03:09 PM

I've never seen the word nouse before, and can't find a meaning of it that makes sense in the context.

Please explain what it means?

Annie
May 11th, 2013, 03:16 PM

I've never seen the word nouse before, and can't find a meaning of it that makes sense in the context.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nouse

Marsilius
May 11th, 2013, 04:22 PM

I was reading it as intellect or mind, from the Greek?

mhguda
May 11th, 2013, 09:05 PM
What's that ink!?

http://www.artisanpastellier.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=203&osCsid=nmjtocebrazrpbx

Thanks Annie, what a beuatiful color. Already thinking how I could mix something like it from inks I do have... Red, burgundy, purple...? More inky goodness to come!

Annie
May 12th, 2013, 01:08 AM

Exactly.

seffrican
May 12th, 2013, 07:11 AM

Well, if Annie meant "nous", presumably that's what she would have written.

I'm still unclear what the student newspaper of the University of York has to do with this discussion, but I'm probably missing some inside joke. I'm new here, and English isn't my first language anyway. Would someone please explain?

Marsilius
May 12th, 2013, 09:06 AM
Seffrican,
I just went with what seemed closest to what it could be, looked at the same link you did, and figured, close enough?

English is a mess of a language, BTW, and I was taught once that many non-native speakers can understand each other in English better than any of them can understand someone from the US, because that version of the language is so full of colloquial speech and expressions, and is in some ways, "less correct."

I am always fascinated by the earlier versions of our wacky spellings. For example, mean probably used to be (and still is in some places I think) pronounced me-an, just after it lost its middle d (median), or how regal, royal, and real are all pretty close. And if you want to enjoy someone butchering the language to glorious effect, read the comic poet Ogden Nash!

Well, with apologies for going all wiki on you, here is a link on nous:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nous

Best off-topic wishes!

seffrican
May 12th, 2013, 09:36 AM
Seffrican,
I just went with what seemed closest to what it could be, looked at the same link you did, and figured, close enough?

English is a mess of a language, BTW, and I was taught once that many non-native speakers can understand each other in English better than any of them can understand someone from the US, because that version of the language is so full of colloquial speech and expressions, and is in some ways, "less correct."

I am always fascinated by the earlier versions of our wacky spellings. For example, mean probably used to be (and still is in some places I think) pronounced me-an, just after it lost its middle d (median), or how regal, royal, and real are all pretty close. And if you want to enjoy someone butchering the language to glorious effect, read the comic poet Ogden Nash!

Well, with apologies for going all wiki on you, here is a link on nous:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nous

Best off-topic wishes!

Thanks Marsilius, for the explanation. I've also seen Annie's post that says you are right - curiously it wasn't visible last time I loaded the thread.

Bute Ogdene Nashe stille makese ae lote more sense thane whatevere ite ise we are talkinge aboute ine thise threade.

Marsilius
May 12th, 2013, 09:51 AM
There once was a pen fan named Seffrican
Whose English was somewhat South Effrican
He got loose from a noose
But not yet from the nouse
Can you tell me how? No, but Jeffrey can.

This is pretty lame, I know. (And pardon for any gender assumptions.)

calluna
May 12th, 2013, 11:11 AM
I learned a new word today. :bounce::bounce::bounce:

It is quieter than it was when I joined a few weeks ago. I don't really count myself a refugee - more a migrant, and I will probably still go back to FPN for the classifieds and a few other things, without apology. This forum is pretty comfortable for someone who chose a small undergraduate university in order to avoid 200-person classes...

cwent2
May 12th, 2013, 11:34 AM

Quite apropos - I learned something new today. "common sense", Nous Thank you

thagbert
May 13th, 2013, 08:37 AM
The weather is starting to improve in most areas.

I think people are spending more time outside and less time glued to a screen!

I know my screen time is down considerably.

Annie
May 13th, 2013, 12:36 PM
The weather is starting to improve in most areas.

I think people are spending more time outside and less time glued to a screen!

I know my screen time is down considerably.

Me too. I have punishing work commitments, 'life admin', letters to write, those I love to spend time with. Time spent here is for fun when I have nothing more pressing to do.

anaximander
May 18th, 2013, 12:52 AM
I know the poem is supposed to be sad, but the fact that it says "smote" twice makes me happy.

Marsilius
May 18th, 2013, 01:44 AM
I know the poem is supposed to be sad, but the fact that it says "smote" twice makes me happy.

I get that. Words like e'er and ne'er and yon and twain . . .

I always feel the dark melancholy of the poem, but not sure it translated to my kids when I read it to them. All it needs are illustrations by James Thurber, like the ones he did for Longfellow's Excelsior, to make it totally comical.

firstpancake
May 18th, 2013, 02:24 AM
Lol!

Well, I'm still here. I rather like the geek-factor.

Sailor Kenshin
May 18th, 2013, 10:00 AM
I'm doing yard work. Sigh....

View from the Loft
May 18th, 2013, 11:06 AM
It's the weekend, so housework and cooking for me ...

I like mango pudding
May 18th, 2013, 08:58 PM
I'm still here. I only go to FPN to look a the classifieds.

Same thing happens on my other hobby forums. Once one site is down the other gets flooded and then when the site is back up it gets a bit quite.

Flounder
May 20th, 2013, 01:25 PM
Sometimes a lot can be said in few words. This may be one of the smaller forums, but reading a few very informative recent threads has probably saved me from future scam-rage. I'm almost inclined to petition that the Lounge section be rechristened "The Straight Dope".