PDA

View Full Version : Waterman 7 pink nib..

Jaws
June 29th, 2018, 06:10 AM
Legendary flex icon.. now i understood the pleasure of flexwriting. Ignore the spelling mistake " legendary", i was way too busy enjoying the flex nib, forgot even how to spell it :p..https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180629/150a1d13a0cf7ab5a9394c91f7b0a9e0.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180629/b85efb355cc767a2281709b88b6f8a55.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

Scrawler
June 29th, 2018, 07:12 AM
I have one of these, but in not such a nice body. I am not an artist so don't get the best use out of it, but it is great fun to use to write to my mother. As you pointed out the pleasure of using it can make you forget to also focus on spelling.

Jaws
June 29th, 2018, 10:32 AM
I have one of these, but in not such a nice body. I am not an artist so don't get the best use out of it, but it is great fun to use to write to my mother. As you pointed out the pleasure of using it can make you forget to also focus on spelling.Yes exactly[emoji1] that's what happened.. so soft and flexible i wonder why can't modern pens come with such nib any more..

Cyril
July 10th, 2018, 11:48 AM
Amazing pen . It is a real beauty..:cheers:

Deb
July 11th, 2018, 04:27 AM
Flex doesn't come much better than that!

Scrawler
July 11th, 2018, 04:41 AM
The Pink nib has controllable flex. It is not sloppy like, say, an Imperial 101, but does not need much conscious pressure to open up either. It also snaps back very actively making transitions from broad to narrow sharp and precise. It rewards a fluid hand that does not pause, but writes all the way through. Unfortunately that is not me anymore as I now have advanced arthritis. I used to use it and an early Waterman Persian 94 to write to my mother because she learned to read and write in a style of writing these pens were made for.

Scrawler
July 11th, 2018, 04:45 AM
Yes exactly[emoji1] that's what happened.. so soft and flexible i wonder why can't modern pens come with such nib any more..

The exact alloys, the cutting and tempering, were all done by craftsmen. Each nib was made by someone who understood the material. These arts and crafts are disappearing.

Deb
July 11th, 2018, 07:17 AM
The Pink nib has controllable flex. It is not sloppy like, say, an Imperial 101, but does not need much conscious pressure to open up either. It also snaps back very actively making transitions from broad to narrow sharp and precise. It rewards a fluid hand that does not pause, but writes all the way through. Unfortunately that is not me anymore as I now have advanced arthritis. I used to use it and an early Waterman Persian 94 to write to my mother because she learned to read and write in a style of writing these pens were made for.

That's sad, about the arthritis. I have it myself, though not too badly. It does become very limiting.

jmccarty3
July 15th, 2018, 12:30 PM

I have one of these as well, and am also losing fine motor control due to age. It's really frustrating to have such fine pens and not to be able to use them optimally.

Scrawler
July 15th, 2018, 12:50 PM

I have one of these as well, and am also losing fine motor control due to age. It's really frustrating to have such fine pens and not to be able to use them optimally.
I have become rather anxious about it and have slowed down coming in here as a result. I see a time coming when I will have to give my pens away.

Jaws
July 16th, 2018, 10:29 AM
Yes exactly[emoji1] that's what happened.. so soft and flexible i wonder why can't modern pens come with such nib any more..

The exact alloys, the cutting and tempering, were all done by craftsmen. Each nib was made by someone who understood the material. These arts and crafts are disappearing.True.. and also when i took off the nib it is so thin and light in cross section. Wonderful craftsmanship

Pen Tom
August 6th, 2018, 06:22 PM
The pink #7 is indeed a wonderful pen. Many Waterman nibs from the 1920s and early 30s are fun to write with.

The thing about the #7 pink is that it is also a status symbol. I've been collecting old Watermans for a few years and now have 4 pink nibs. 3 are on #7 red ripple pens and one is on a #5 celluloid.

I lusted after my first pink #7 ripple pen. I was very happy when I finially bought one. As much as I love the 'pinks' I have other model 52, 12, 54 and 14 Watermans with #2 and #4 nibs that feel the same or better. I'm referring to flex, snap-back and control of the flex

The thing that I love about Waterman is the number of variations of each size were made. You could just collect pens with the #2 nib and have a collection with lots of variation in color, number and type of cap rings. Some are chased, some are smooth. They are all great pens

FredRydr
August 6th, 2018, 08:24 PM
I've had the hard rubber pinks in No. 5 with the cool cap shape and No. 7, but I prefer the No. 7 jet black celluloid version. Here is one that I had to transfer a pink button from a mediocre barrel to a great barrel. The end result was quite nice, and the buyer was ecstatic.

I agree they are wonderful flex writers, yet their stellar flex nib performance can be duplicated with other pens for far less cash outlay. It's just that with a pink, you know what to expect.

FredRydr
August 6th, 2018, 08:28 PM
Here's another pink in jet celluloid with a full set of its brethren. Oh, and there's a pencil, too!

Pen Tom
August 14th, 2018, 04:25 PM
That is a beautiful set of 7 7's. My first Waterman was a #7 black celluloid with a black #7 plug. But the nib was a non-color #7. Great pen.

Jaws
August 25th, 2018, 03:26 PM
The pink #7 is indeed a wonderful pen. Many Waterman nibs from the 1920s and early 30s are fun to write with.

The thing about the #7 pink is that it is also a status symbol. I've been collecting old Watermans for a few years and now have 4 pink nibs. 3 are on #7 red ripple pens and one is on a #5 celluloid.

I lusted after my first pink #7 ripple pen. I was very happy when I finially bought one. As much as I love the 'pinks' I have other model 52, 12, 54 and 14 Watermans with #2 and #4 nibs that feel the same or better. I'm referring to flex, snap-back and control of the flex

The thing that I love about Waterman is the number of variations of each size were made. You could just collect pens with the #2 nib and have a collection with lots of variation in color, number and type of cap rings. Some are chased, some are smooth. They are all great pensThanks for sharing the wonderful knowledge and experience

Jaws
August 25th, 2018, 03:27 PM
Here's another pink in jet celluloid with a full set of its brethren. Oh, and there's a pencil, too!

41565Wowww.. thanks a nice collection

Cyril
September 14th, 2018, 09:54 AM
Amazing set of pens and they are well preserved ! well done!

pajaro
September 14th, 2018, 10:09 AM
Timeless elegance.

Sid the Cat
March 15th, 2019, 04:09 PM
Hey guys! If your hands get worse, I'd be pleased to give one (or two) of those fellows a good home.

It's a mistake I've made with cats, too.

Empty_of_Clouds
March 15th, 2019, 04:23 PM

The Hunt Imperial 101 (and yes I have a few that I use) is not a sloppy instrument. It has a high degree of precision. However, it does require skill to use. Perhaps what you are seeing here is that a Waterman Pink nib requires less skill. Don't blame the tools!

Cyril
March 17th, 2019, 08:44 AM
I happened to buy three Vintage Watermans last week.
All three pens are great and in good conditions.
But one pen seems to be Odd as the pen seems a "Franken Pen". It was due to the strangely faded Hard rubber cap and the condition of the worn-out, skipping states of the nib. It write very very dry. Not a normal character from an Old waterman. It seems a nib badly ground by some one like me. So I had desided to change that Obelique italique nib into an old fine italique 14kt Ideal nib . It is temporarly until I fix this nib to reconstruct into a new broad Italique ( by redoing the tip meterial and getting regrounded by Fountaain Nib .com in Spain. I have already experience of there work.

This pen is a lovely pen . I'll post the rest of the two Pens soon when I get the photos.

45888https://fpgeeks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=45888&d=1552832909&thumb=1&stc=1

Cyril
April 6th, 2020, 07:08 AM
Well hello again,
I just happened to buy my first PINK NIB and I am sure this pen is the that is going to host it. I am very happy and excited.
Can someone tell me what is the worth of a good pink nib, please?
This nib I got is not very shiny but once it is cleaned and polished it will look better.

Cyril
June 4th, 2022, 09:08 AM
[ATTACH=CONFIG]70420[/ATTACHi

At last I got a N05 waterman's In "red nib". I am so excited to see this pen.