PDA

View Full Version : Latest album bought/listened to?

SIR
July 8th, 2018, 07:36 AM
Ok music lovers, what's the most recent refreshment to your listening experience?

I have been chopping and changing between 'the best of Mamas and Papas' and 'Surrealistic Pillow', in car and at home, which i bought after tunes from both were featured in adverts for "Really's" (channel 17 on UK Freeview) Serial Killer Season.

Paddler
July 9th, 2018, 05:56 AM
Johann Joachim Quantz Flute Concertos with Rachel Brown flute and the Brandenburg Consort.
This is some of the finest Baroque music I have ever heard. Bach and Handel move over!

SIR
July 9th, 2018, 08:05 AM
Johann Joachim Quantz Flute Concertos with Rachel Brown flute and the Brandenburg Consort.
This is some of the finest Baroque music I have ever heard. Bach and Handel move over!

Nice, i will check them out for sure!

Lady Onogaro
July 9th, 2018, 10:50 AM
Balas y Chocolate by Lila Downes
Nothing More to Say by The Frightnrs (checked this out of the library--loved it and will buy it)
Nashville Sound by Jason Isbell and 400 Unit

VertOlive
July 9th, 2018, 02:51 PM
Besa Me Mucho by the Ted Lint Trio. Epic Bossa Nova!

Robert
July 9th, 2018, 04:36 PM
Guitar Concertos/Julian Bream on RCA LSC-2487, which contains concertos (or concerti, if you prefer) by Mauro Giuliani and Malcolm Arnold with Bream and the Melos Ensemble. This title from 1961 is a reissue on vinyl offered by Acoustic Sounds, but it's also available (or will be) on SACD.

JohnUphill
July 10th, 2018, 10:33 PM
Tree of Forgiveness by John Prine. A songwriting legend gives us a new album that hangs with his best work ever.

grantbob
July 11th, 2018, 05:58 PM
Ziltoid the Omniscient

countrydirt
July 21st, 2018, 09:25 AM
I recently completed a Zeppathon while flying to Tokyo and Hanoi from Denver and then reversed that 10 days later. That's a lot of Zeppelin!

alexwi
July 21st, 2018, 09:08 PM
I can't remember the last time I bought an album for myself.

A few years ago, I bought one for my wife and it's in a drawer, as we mostly listen to music on youtube.

I miss having a stereo. Listening to music back then was a deliberate act and it involved a limited number of albums, so I knew at all times who played what. Now, with music relegated to the background, I only know a few songs that I like. The rest, are just vaguely familiar.

alex

sgtstretch
July 22nd, 2018, 09:27 AM
All Ashore by Punch Brothers, as much as I love hard rock and heavy metal, sometimes a good bluegrass album is in order.

SIR
July 22nd, 2018, 09:38 AM
chopping and changing between 'the best of Mamas and Papas' and 'Surrealistic Pillow'

really liking both.

btw, i found this which amused me slightly;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBa5nN_JyPk

BlkWhiteFilmPix
July 28th, 2018, 04:36 AM
Playlist of Dan Fogelberg's songs (God rest him) including Tucson Arizona, Part of the Plan, Heart Hotels, Hard to Say.

Dan left us much too early. His web page (https://www.danfogelberg.com/contact) has copies of some handwritten letters he sent to his fans.

VertOlive
July 28th, 2018, 09:01 PM
I helped a man locate a tombstone which had been lost for fourteen years. He happened to be a singer and just this week came to town to thank me. He gave me a signed copy of his album "Tributes" (by Johnnie Helm). It's the first Country Western album I've ever owned.

dankdan63
August 4th, 2018, 03:52 PM
I'm sorry... someone has to say this...

What's an album? Haaa...

dan

SIR
August 5th, 2018, 09:00 AM
I'm sorry... someone has to say this...

What's an album? Haaa...

dan

I was waiting... but seriously, do people now only buy single songs, surely even digital music is still also sold in packages/collections?

;)

Paddler
August 6th, 2018, 05:21 AM
I buy music on CDs. To play downloads, I would have to convert them to a medium that my outdated equipment can cope with. Too much hassle. Buy modern hardware? Ahhhh, no.

Nowadays, most people treat music as an agreeable background noise. As a musician, I prefer to actually listen to music (or make it myself). This modern smart phone mentality doesn't cut it.

VertOlive
August 7th, 2018, 07:48 PM
Had to own the soundtrack to "Only Lovers Left Alive", my (only) favorite vampire flick.

SIR
August 8th, 2018, 02:45 AM
Had to own the soundtrack to "Only Lovers Left Alive", my (only) favorite vampire flick.

There really aren't that many great vamp films, so 7.3 on IMDb is definitely worth a bite ;), thanks!

VertOlive
August 9th, 2018, 05:35 PM

There really aren't that many great vamp films, so 7.3 on IMDb is definitely worth a bite ;), thanks!

Oh. I think it deserved a better rating but there you have it. I was attracted by Tom Hiddleston/Tilda Swinton as the "Only Lovers".

And that glove thing!

jmccarty3
August 12th, 2018, 12:35 PM
Most recently purchased CD:

The Fitzwilliam Virginal Book, vol. 6, Pieter-Jan Belder, harpsichords and virginal, Brilliant Classics.

Image not yet available. This is the final volume of this complete recording. P-J does a great job--highly recommended!

Old Man
August 16th, 2018, 08:59 AM
Purchased Monday this week.....

Quintesential
Django Reinhardt & Stephane Grapelli

Fermata
August 17th, 2018, 01:40 AM
Unhalfbricking by Fairport Convention, listened to it last week and still enjoyed it.

amk
August 17th, 2018, 04:16 AM
My usual listening is traditional (English, French), world music and classical.

This week, something really out of my comfort zone but completely, wildly inspirational - Bobby McFerrin's "Medicine Music". A scat singer, major jazz musician, 100% inspiring man.