PDA

View Full Version : how many pens do you have inked up right now?

KKay
July 10th, 2018, 09:09 AM
I have 9 pens inked up right now. That is as high as I usually go in the winter, when I write more. I prefer to have 7 inked up at most. When I am busy 5 pens would be plenty to have inked up though.

Scooby921
July 10th, 2018, 09:37 AM
Currently four, and that's too many for me. Partly because I don't write enough to keep them from running dry and partly because I waste too much money on pens and don't care to carry that much value to the office and risk someone running off with it.

KKay
July 10th, 2018, 09:45 AM
It doesn't have to be how many you carry with you. How about how many are inked up at home, and then how many you have inked that you carry? I usually don't take any fountain pens with me, if I leave the house. If I do, it is just one and a cheaper pen to boot. The Kaweco Sport is perfect for my purse. I keep my pens inked up, and on top of my computer table. I do rotate here and there, but not often enough.

jar
July 10th, 2018, 10:04 AM
Two too many; three at the moment.

adhoc
July 10th, 2018, 10:46 AM
I’ve had in the past up to 15 pens inked. Ridiculous. Nowadays I keep a rollerball on me and two fountain pens.

KKay
July 10th, 2018, 11:04 AM
Well I just cleaned a pen, and plan to take it out of the rotation. So I am down to 8. I need to pull one more very soon.

Cyril
July 10th, 2018, 11:53 AM
I had 20 pens and some cleaned and now I have about 11 pens.

Jon Szanto
July 10th, 2018, 01:00 PM
I'm not exactly sure. Looks like about 20 or so.

Medieval
July 10th, 2018, 01:25 PM
Just 4, but 4 very good ones.

Robert
July 10th, 2018, 04:39 PM
Four (4) here, too - that seems to be a popular number in this thread.

KKay
July 10th, 2018, 04:51 PM
You people with 20 or more pens that are inked up at one time are amazing. I have more pens, but I find it difficult to flush and refill so many at once. I think the most I've ever had inked at once was 13, and that was pushing it for me. If the ink stayed good with no problems, I could have more ink in more pens. Many of the inks I use though, would not do well kept in a pen for too long. I tend to like permanent inks or at least water resistant. That isn't all I have, but I clean them out much more often. It saves a headache on down the road. I am a serial ink switcher too, and it is not very often that I refill with the same color. (except for the safety pens, those are the exception)

Kulprit
July 10th, 2018, 08:45 PM
All of them. Well, not quite; I have maybe four that are currently NOT inked. But that leaves me with close to 20 that are inked. I'm ashamed to say I don't even know how many pens I own.

Except for the ones that are inked and stashed away somewhere for potential use, I use each pen at some point during the week. Many/most pens have some specialized use--either because of their design, their nib size, or the color ink within--which means most of them see regular use. As for the others, I will go out of my way to use a pen if I feel like it's being neglected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

azkid
July 10th, 2018, 09:33 PM
Between trying a few new pens, playing guess the ink, and participating in Mystery Ink reviews, I have 8 or more inked, which I find overwhelming.

Nevertheless, and at long last, today I turned my attention to one of my many languishing samples, Diamine Registrar's Blue Black to write a check. Looks promising but I have a few other inks to consider for addessing & check writing.

BlkWhiteFilmPix
July 11th, 2018, 03:23 AM
You people with 20 or more pens that are inked up at one time are amazing. I have more pens, but I find it difficult to flush and refill so many at once. I think the most I've ever had inked at once was 13, and that was pushing it for me. If the ink stayed good with no problems, I could have more ink in more pens. Many of the inks I use though, would not do well kept in a pen for too long. I tend to like permanent inks or at least water resistant. That isn't all I have, but I clean them out much more often. It saves a headache on down the road. I am a serial ink switcher too, and it is not very often that I refill with the same color. (except for the safety pens, those are the exception)

You make an excellent point. It is difficult to switch ink in so many pens.

The only way for me to keep all those pens filled is to not switch inks.

Thank you for starting the thread. :crazy_pilot:

Sailor Kenshin
July 11th, 2018, 07:51 AM
Four, five...? I THINK. But then, I don't count Varsities, Petits, Preppies and the like. Nor do I count my 3776 Bourgogne, which has been in constant use since I got it some three years ago. Maybe that needs a cleaning, and then it will go right back into contstant use. ;)

mana
July 11th, 2018, 08:48 AM
Let me see...

EDC:
Pelikan 100N Black / EEF
Pelikan 100N Green / B
Pelikan 400 Tortise / BB

At home:
Woodshed Pen Co. / 1.1mm Italic (Jowo #6)
rOtring Art Pen / 1.1mm Italic
rOtring Art Pen Turquoise / 1.5mm Italic
Lamy 2000 (Pre 1970) / MK
Lamy 99 36 / OF
Parker 51 Aerometric / F
Parker 51 Aerometric / M
Monte Rosa (?) / EF/M

So, the total is 11... used to have more inked but then came to my senses. Should pare down that number too, don't really rotate my EDC pens now that I have found that trio which just works 100% of the time and feels awesome to use. Should actually just clean all of the other pens at home, maybe leave the Lamy 2000 as I am trying to come to a conclusion about it (as in, whether I hate it or find it to be just ok, have been trying to like them for several years now with little luck).

fqgouvea
July 11th, 2018, 08:52 AM
I have fewer than usual, only four.
The usual number is determined by taking the number of pens I have and subtracting the number of spaces to store them. If it’s sitting outside, it’s usually inked.

KKay
July 11th, 2018, 08:58 AM
Kulprit, I don't have a number on how many pens I have either. After I read your post I thought about counting them. Then I decided it was better if I didn't know. LOL. I do have a pen log, with each pen written down on different pages. Under that I write with different inks to see what they look like with that certain pen. Two are on the counter waiting to go back in pen storage. I don't need any more pens, or ink for that matter. But that doesn't mean I don't want more. My local friend who is also into pens found me an Esterbrook LJ in Copper color, with a medium nib. He put a new sac on it for me too. The nib writes like I would've tuned it for myself. I have my faux Peacock Blue in it now. I've never had an Esterbrook before. He knew I admired his copper colored one. He finally ran across one in very good condition the other day. I have a problem wanting more inks than pens though.

Paddler
July 11th, 2018, 09:19 AM
Three, and that is probably too many, right now. It is summer and there are too many things to do outside instead of sitting and writing. Ideas for stories go in my shirt pocket notebook for now. Later, when the weather curtails outside activities, I will ink up three or four more of my favorite pens and inflict even more blather on my journals.

junglejim
July 11th, 2018, 06:02 PM
One, always just one. I'll fill the pen up and write until it's empty. It gives me a good idea of what the ink can do under different writing conditions and paper. Then on to another pen and ink combination.

All the Best.

Dronak
July 14th, 2018, 12:05 PM
At the moment, I have 9 fountain pens inked, which is probably more than I really need. Not more than 6 would probably be better, but I have a 12-pen case and feel like it should be filled. :) I do put non-FPs in there though, to fill the case and to help reduce the number of FPs I have inked, but with ~6 favorites I like to keep inked regularly, I wouldn't rotate many pens in and out if I only kept 6 pens inked. So I've currently at 9 as a sort of compromise.

FredRydr
July 21st, 2018, 02:29 PM
how many pens do you have inked up right now?
Six, nine less than usual.

alexwi
July 21st, 2018, 09:04 PM
Way more than I should and a few others that have been inked but have been sitting in a cup on my desk for a while. I'll probably need a whole morning to flush them all and put them away.

alex

carlos.q
July 22nd, 2018, 06:30 AM
I'm on a trip right now so I only have three pens inked with me:
Parker 45 with Sheaffer Skrip black
Lamy 2000 with vintage Skrip blue-black
Pelikan M250 with Edelstein Topaz

rickap
July 22nd, 2018, 07:33 AM
Two: Pelikan M1000, fine nib, with Pelikan 4001 Dark Green ink; Pilot VP FERMO, fine nib, with Pilot Blue Black cartridge ink.

I've got a Montblanc 146, medium nib, sitting in the pen vase with them but it's not filled. It had been filled with a mixture of Montblanc Midnight Blue and Montblanc Royal Blue. I cleaned it to put it away but forgot to do so the last time I was in the pen case.

Rick

wingwiper
July 22nd, 2018, 09:58 AM
At the moment, I have 9 fountain pens inked, which is probably more than I really need. Not more than 6 would probably be better, but I have a 12-pen case and feel like it should be filled. :) I do put non-FPs in there though, to fill the case and to help reduce the number of FPs I have inked, but with ~6 favorites I like to keep inked regularly, I wouldn't rotate many pens in and out if I only kept 6 pens inked. So I've currently at 9 as a sort of compromise.

At least 8.......[emoji106]

calamus
August 8th, 2018, 01:45 PM
I usually keep five inked at one time. Right now I have one with a semi-flex nib at home to play with, one with a fine nib at work, and three that I carry with me, with a fine nib, a medium nib and a broad nib (one in my pocket and two in a leather carrying case in my backpack). Usually I keep them inked with five different flavors of ink, but currently I've got four colors going, with two of the pens inked with Diamine Havasu Turquoise. I don't ink my italic-nibbed pens unless I'm doing a project that calls for them, and I clean them afterwards, because I've been known to let them sit way too long inked up and unused.

azkid
August 8th, 2018, 04:06 PM
Now one more with the Elite. But one less because I've lost my Safari Petrol (arrrgh!)

KKay
August 8th, 2018, 04:36 PM
I'm down to 7 now. I may pull two more out of the rotation. I would have just 6 going, but recently got an old safety pen. So now I have two vintage pens so far.

junglejim
August 8th, 2018, 04:47 PM
I'm down to 7 now. I may pull two more out of the rotation. I would have just 6 going, but recently got an old safety pen. So now I have two vintage pens so far.

Oh, I love safety pens! Which two vintage pens do you have KKay? I only have 3 modern pens so far; 2 Pilot Metros and a Faber-Castell Loom but I think my next pen will have to be a vintage pen from the 1920's to 1930's with an oblique broad nib. :applause:

All the Best.

KKay
August 8th, 2018, 07:16 PM
Junglejim, I have 3 safety pens in total now. Two of them are Boston Safety Pens, which are new but based on an old design. The latest one I got is an old Waterman safety pen.
I just pulled one more pen out of the rotation. Now I'm down to 6 inked up. Do I dare bring it down to 5? I dunno, but I'm tempted. I will stay with 6 and see what it is like. I might not
be able to handle that low of a number. Oh, the other vintage pen I have now is an Esterbrook LJ. Nothing fancy there, but I really like it.

I don't have a Pilot Metro, but I do have a Loom. They have great nibs, but the cap's clip isn't as tight as it once was.

Woody
August 8th, 2018, 08:41 PM
4. 2 with blue, one with some kind of teal. And another with Sailor grape.

mlp2147
August 8th, 2018, 08:54 PM
Currently I have three. Two with black and one with blue/black. Trying different nibs to decide which I'll get the most mileage out of.

calamus
August 9th, 2018, 04:42 PM
Junglejim, I have 3 safety pens in total now. ... The latest one I got is an old Waterman safety pen. ...

Was it one of these?

https://vintagepens.com/images/perm/Wmansafetyinstr.jpg

KKay
August 12th, 2018, 12:09 PM
No, but it is similar. Mine is a Red Ripple, but it did not come with the original nib. I thought it was a French knock-off, but was told it was made in the 1923-1926 time frame.

Sailor Kenshin
August 12th, 2018, 12:34 PM
Right now, eight, I think...two downstairs, the rest up.

One of them is new, both pen and ink: Monteverde Moonstone in a Moonman. I sense a theme here.

calamus
August 12th, 2018, 06:24 PM
Now up to 7, and expect to be up to 8 in 24 hours. These things seem to go out of control...

KrazyIvan
August 12th, 2018, 09:50 PM
I just inked up three pens today.

https://scontent-dfw5-1.cdninstagram.com/vp/a272518e2241c5cadd12052e3c17ecbb/5C07221B/t51.2885-15/e35/38517596_519597818493637_6416992362144202752_n.jpg

https://scontent-dfw5-1.cdninstagram.com/vp/55eb2f1e1083062cd4a14a6d23588630/5C136803/t51.2885-15/e35/38926013_663875177338598_6793158195066961920_n.jpg

ms8109
August 13th, 2018, 05:57 AM
Currently I have 22 Fountain Pens inked up at the moment! As when I write letters to my penpals, I use multiple pens with multiple inks! It is not uncommon for me to use about 12 pens with 12 inks in one letter......

FredRydr
August 13th, 2018, 06:03 AM
how many pens do you have inked up right now?
Six, nine less than usual.
Now up to a dozen: https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/17584-How-Many-Pens-Do-You-Have-Inked?p=246433#post246433

KKay
August 13th, 2018, 10:29 AM
I didn't realize there was another thread on this. I will take a look at it.

I see that thread started in 2016, and sort of died in May of this year. Then it was revived in August by you. (FredRydr) My thread was started in July, in another section. I mainly stay in the ink section these days. Sorry for the confusion. I don't know what to do about it.

FredRydr
August 13th, 2018, 12:26 PM
...I don't know what to do about it.
Don't do anything, and don't give it a second thought. Stuff is all over the place. Just keep on writing and typing and posting.

ethernautrix
August 14th, 2018, 05:24 PM
One.

Hahaha. Kidding. Four. Two Nakaya Piccolos and two Pilots (CH912 and Falcon/Elabo).

Plus all the ones that I don't count that hold the seldom-used not-black inks.

azkid
August 15th, 2018, 04:29 PM
And now three more inked with MI #20 :D