PDA

View Full Version : Hero Bent-nib Calligraphy Pens

Cathy Johnson (Kate)
May 12th, 2013, 07:29 AM
...does anyone else play with these? They're really inexpensive, but great for sketching, and make a very brush-like mark.

Sailor Kenshin
May 12th, 2013, 07:56 AM
Yes! I love it. I also collect pens with such nibs from other makers; they're called fude, and my current favorite is a little five-dollar bargain, the Guanleming 193, because it makes my dreadful handwriting took gooood. ^^

Beautiful sketch!

Cathy Johnson (Kate)
May 13th, 2013, 05:43 PM
Yes! I love it. I also collect pens with such nibs from other makers; they're called fude, and my current favorite is a little five-dollar bargain, the Guanleming 193, because it makes my dreadful handwriting took gooood. ^^

Beautiful sketch!

I hadn't heard of that kind...where did you get it, Sailor?

Sailor Kenshin
May 14th, 2013, 05:39 AM
Isellpens used to carry the Guanleming line. If they no longer do, you might try ebay.

Cathy Johnson (Kate)
May 14th, 2013, 07:03 AM
Isellpens used to carry the Guanleming line. If they no longer do, you might try ebay., thanks, I will! Does it feed well? I sometimes have to kickstart my Hero pens.

Sailor Kenshin
May 14th, 2013, 07:19 AM
Isellpens used to carry the Guanleming line. If they no longer do, you might try ebay., thanks, I will! Does it feed well? I sometimes have to kickstart my Hero pens.

I think it depends on the ink. And some inks don't play well in the Hero fude either. Look for a 'wet' or free-flowing ink. Like, the opposite of Pelikan, which is known to be dry.

Hope this helps!

Cathy Johnson (Kate)
May 14th, 2013, 07:34 AM

I think it depends on the ink. And some inks don't play well in the Hero fude either. Look for a 'wet' or free-flowing ink. Like, the opposite of Pelikan, which is known to be dry.

Hope this helps!

I usually use Noodler's Lexington Gray, which works best in most of my pens, so I'll give it a shot! Thanks!

KrazyIvan
May 14th, 2013, 08:57 AM
Great drawing! I play with the Fude nibs but I really don't know how to use them.

CapeClear
May 14th, 2013, 11:57 AM
I have two Jinhao fude nibbed pens, both appear to be the same size as the x750. Love to play with them but like Ivan I'm not quite sure how to use them the right way.

Lovely sketch!

Cathy Johnson (Kate)
May 14th, 2013, 07:09 PM
Great drawing! I play with the Fude nibs but I really don't know how to use them. Thanks, it does take some practice! It all depends on how you hold the pen--at what angle to the paper.

Cathy Johnson (Kate)
May 14th, 2013, 07:10 PM
I have two Jinhao fude nibbed pens, both appear to be the same size as the x750. Love to play with them but like Ivan I'm not quite sure how to use them the right way.

Lovely sketch!

Thank you! I'm not sure there is a right way, I just kept changing my grip to get different effects!

Sailor Kenshin
May 15th, 2013, 06:31 AM
There are prolly Youtube vids on how to use this kind of nib for both sketching and writing. I haven't used mine for sketching that much, but with the Guanleming I just write as I would with any fountain pen and my hand becomes magically legible and almost nice. The effect is very flex-like.

Cathy Johnson (Kate)
May 15th, 2013, 06:53 AM
There are prolly Youtube vids on how to use this kind of nib for both sketching and writing. I haven't used mine for sketching that much, but with the Guanleming I just write as I would with any fountain pen and my hand becomes magically legible and almost nice. The effect is very flex-like.

I haven't tried writing much with mine, other than the occasional quick caption on a sketch...but yes, I love the flexy effect. Thanks again, I found the Guanleming and it's on its way to me!

Sailor Kenshin
May 15th, 2013, 07:07 AM
Woohoo! Hope you like it as much as I do.

The Hero is a cartridge/converter filler. The Guan has a squeeze fill mechanism, permanently attached. If you can slide off the metal tube that fits over the squeeze bulb, you can watch the ink fill. Plus, it's easier to actually get it filled.

Cathy Johnson (Kate)
May 15th, 2013, 07:16 AM
Woohoo! Hope you like it as much as I do.

The Hero is a cartridge/converter filler. The Guan has a squeeze fill mechanism, permanently attached. If you can slide off the metal tube that fits over the squeeze bulb, you can watch the ink fill. Plus, it's easier to actually get it filled.

Wow, I hadn't thought of sliding off the metal tube! I'm not that insane about squeeze fills, but maybe I just have control issues. I like to see it fill, hence my love for transparent pens! (Which Heros aren't, of course...I often put the nib into a Noodler's body...)

Sailor Kenshin
May 15th, 2013, 08:26 AM
One other thing to be aware of with the squeezy filler: it's easy to fill, but if it's overfilled, ink will spew back into the cap and make it look like the pen sprung a leak. Do as you do with piston fillers, that is, fill it, then squeeze a couple of drops back into the bottle.

The tube comes off with a gentle twist. Usually. You can put it back on after filling or not.

I once thought a Hero 616 had sprung a leak, when it was just Too Full. And with Leverger Shiraz. Eek.

Cathy Johnson (Kate)
May 15th, 2013, 04:24 PM
One other thing to be aware of with the squeezy filler: it's easy to fill, but if it's overfilled, ink will spew back into the cap and make it look like the pen sprung a leak. Do as you do with piston fillers, that is, fill it, then squeeze a couple of drops back into the bottle.

The tube comes off with a gentle twist. Usually. You can put it back on after filling or not.

I once thought a Hero 616 had sprung a leak, when it was just Too Full. And with Leverger Shiraz. Eek.

Thanks, I had no idea about squeezing a few drops back out! Will give it a try.

Cathy Johnson (Kate)
June 10th, 2013, 07:47 AM

Here's a more recent sketch done with the Hero pen, an M-86 nib I put into a Noodler's Creaper body...

Sailor Kenshin
June 10th, 2013, 10:51 AM
Niiiice! I like the color-spotting.

Cathy Johnson (Kate)
June 10th, 2013, 11:35 AM
Niiiice! I like the color-spotting.

Thanks! One of my other pens had developed the spit reflex, so I decided to add some spatter with it before I refilled it!

donnamcm
October 2nd, 2013, 06:36 AM
I put my M-86 nibs onto Twsbi 540 & 580. Twsbi's hold a huge amount of ink, so I can get a ton of drawing done before refilling. Here is a drawing I did with my frankenpen.
http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/3865-Drawing-with-my-Frankenpen

miatapaul
October 5th, 2013, 10:32 AM
Wow, that is some great stuff! If I could sketch like that, I would sketch all the time and never get anything done at all. I am more of a 3d artist, for some reason I just have issues working in 2d. They kind of remind me of a sketch my mother has from when she met Johnathan Winters in a bar one time and he did a quick sketch. it is one her most prized possessions. Of course yours have more detail (I am sure you spend more time on them than the time it takes to have a drink in a bar!) but these have the same vintage 50's/60's feel to it.