PDA

View Full Version : RIP, Jim Rouse

Jon Szanto
July 15th, 2018, 06:43 PM
We've just received news, both from Scott Franklin and Richard Binder, that Jim Rouse has passed away. This is a very tough loss for the pen world, as it would be hard to find a nicer guy and a better penman. Holding Jim and his family and friends in the Light.

jar
July 15th, 2018, 07:26 PM
Agreed.

MaxG
July 15th, 2018, 07:43 PM
Very sorry to hear this.

FredRydr
July 15th, 2018, 09:09 PM
Jim was the man who introduced me to fountain pens when he had the former Bertram's Inkwell store in downtown Baltimore. I took an "office use" 146 to his store for repair, where he performed a miracle on it and then proceeded to get me hooked on the world of fountain pens when he convinced me to buy another, the turquoise-green Aurora Optima that I recently posted here about sending for repair. Here he is in his store handing me a Visconti Wall Street LE. (I used visits to Jim as an excuse to ride down to Baltimore on my motorcycle, hence my leather gear.) Of course, Sheaffer was his specialty.

Jim is on the left behind the counter.

We continued to remain as friends while he worked for other pen oriented companies, finally Franklin-Christoph in Raleigh NC, but no matter where he worked, he continued to call Randallstown, Maryland, his home. There is much more I could share, but I'll keep it short. He always had a smile and a laugh at pen shows and PCA board meetings. I shall miss him.

Brilliant Bill
July 15th, 2018, 09:14 PM
Best of many pictures I have of Jim -- Baltimore Pen Show, 2016...

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Stationery/i-bV7t3hk/0/807d9cc9/M/DSCF0229-M.jpg

stub
July 16th, 2018, 07:20 AM
Man, just so bummed all day over this news. Really awful. Condolences to all that knew him. I have a piece of that slightly pink F-C paper that he tested a nib on for me and signed his name. I'll keep that now. I wish I hadn't written on it too.

jar
July 16th, 2018, 07:50 AM
The Rouse family are great examples of just what Americans should be; from James Sr to his son, from Patty to all of the contributions they have made to the quality of life in the US and to the concepts of livable communities. Along with a few others like Charles Fraser and his brother are among the unknown heroes.

whichwatch
July 16th, 2018, 07:57 AM
A pretty good day just turned sour. What terrible news.

Jim was always a gentleman, and at shows was always smiling and had time for a chat no matter how busy he was. Besides being a great person, he did really good nib work, too.

I'll sure miss seeing Jim at shows. condolensces to his family.

Rapidray
July 16th, 2018, 09:06 AM
Prayers sent.

penwash
July 16th, 2018, 10:24 AM
I will remember him as one of the figures who cemented my fascination with this hobby when he assembled my FC P40 pocket demonstrator, right in front of me. One of my first few fountain pens ever.

The following years, as one of the organizers of the Dallas Pen Show, I got the chance to interact with him, and I remembered that he's always friendly even though I imagine how tired he must be working almost around the clock (those of you who know how busy F-C tables are at shows, always).

Later I found out that he made his own pens (the Sheaffer Legacy fantasy) and of course his reputation as one of the veteran nibmeisters.

So here is my only photo of him when he worked on my pen years ago:

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5735/21531461428_a031f3b7da_c.jpg

A small way to remember a great man.

My condolences to the family and his close friends.

KrazyIvan
July 16th, 2018, 11:29 AM
Condolences to his family.