PDA

View Full Version : Blotting paper vs rockers?

CS388
May 13th, 2013, 07:36 AM
Hello all.

I've used blotting paper most of my life. Still do.

Usually, I cut a sheet to fit my book and just keep it nestled in there. After writing a page, just place the blotting paper over it, smooth it down with my hand and - done. ready to move on. No great shakes, but pretty reliable and efficient.
I have had mishaps, usually when I've been in a rush and been a bit ham-fisted, resulting in a messy smudge. But I imagine that the same thing may have occurred with a rocker, in those same circumstances?

So, my question is: Rocker blotters, is there any advantage?

I've seen some lovely ones (including some beauties here on FPG), but have never owned one.
Mainly because I cannot see the advantage - and it would just be another thing to carry about the place.
Am I missing something? I have used them (other peoples') in the past. They're fun and easy. The movement is very satisfying.
But a simple sheet of blotting paper does the same? No?

Not trying to start a fight with rocker owners/lovers/collectors. Just musing.

Thanks.

Laura N
May 13th, 2013, 07:49 AM
I have a Clairefontaine rocker blotter, nothing fancy, which I keep on my desk. I use it for things like checks or the last few lines in letters. I also have some 9 inch by 4 inch blotter paper from Pendemonium that I keep inside my journal, and use as you do. I don't like extremely wet inks, so I could live without either. But I do use them differently.

N.B., I started with the rocker blotter and added the blotting paper. Perhaps if I had started with the paper, like you, I would have stopped there.

jar
May 13th, 2013, 07:52 AM
Yes, rocking blotters do minimize smearing but they are not as portable as blotting paper.

Long long ago in a land far far away when I was but a ...

... one of my jobs was to fill the inkwells and change out the blotting paper on the rocker blotters and on the desk pads. Each desk had a leather desk pad that had a large sheet of blotting paper (usually with a calendar printed in the upper right corner) and at least one rocker blotter.

jbb
May 13th, 2013, 09:44 AM
Even though I've got several lovely vintage rocking blotters I mostly use sheets of blotter paper too. I also have my huge desk blotter which is so handy when you bump an inkwell and cause a spill.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5141/5624007237_28ef50d490_b.jpg

BikerBabe
May 13th, 2013, 03:21 PM
I haven't really tried using blotting paper alone, I always use my rocker blotter.
It took a few practice runs, but I got the hang of using it fairly fast.
I love my blotters, they're easy to use and very practical for whenever I write a card - usually birthday and christmas, or when I write down addresses in my notebook.
Some of my pens are fairly wet writers, that's when the rocker blotter is really handy to use.

cedargirl
May 13th, 2013, 05:50 PM
I've been thinking of getting a rocker blotter for my desk. At the moment I use blotter sheets, but I only have the ones that come in a writing pad. Where do people source their blotter sheets? If I search the web I can only find the small blotters with advertising print that are designed (I think) for rockers.

BikerBabe
May 13th, 2013, 05:59 PM
Google "desk blotter paper refill", you might find something useful. ;)

cedargirl
May 13th, 2013, 07:46 PM
Thanks. I'll give it a go.

Bogon07
May 13th, 2013, 10:58 PM
I've been thinking of getting a rocker blotter for my desk. At the moment I use blotter sheets, but I only have the ones that come in a writing pad. Where do people source their blotter sheets? If I search the web I can only find the small blotters with advertising print that are designed (I think) for rockers.

I bought a large sheet of blotting paper about A3 or A2? BLOTTING PAPER 445mmX570mm 135GM WHITE SHEET) from the City Stationery Office Penfolds in October last year for about $2.
I think I had to fold it two times or so to make it around an A4 size to carry home.

http://applications.penfoldstore.com.au/products.html?page=detail&cid=EDP-100516

cedargirl
May 14th, 2013, 08:25 PM

I bought a large sheet of blotting paper about A3 or A2? BLOTTING PAPER 445mmX570mm 135GM WHITE SHEET) from the City Stationery Office Penfolds in October last year for about $2.
I think I had to fold it two times or so to make it around an A4 size to carry home.

http://applications.penfoldstore.com.au/products.html?page=detail&cid=EDP-100516

Thanks Bogon,
I think I have tracked some down at Officeworks. I'll check next time I get up to Port Macq.
I was just searching on "blotter" and variations and it was just turning up facial/make-up blotters. I had to add in "desk" and "refill" to get google to deliver.
Claire

CS388
May 15th, 2013, 07:05 PM
Thanks to all for replies. Interesting stuff.

Yes, Jar. I, also, remember a time when cheque books and writing pads came with a sheet of blotting paper as standard.

But all your feedback has piqued my interest in rocking blotters.
Currently going through big life changes and leading a transient existence, moving about a lot, so keeping possessions to a minimum - but, once I settle down again, I think I'll be getting one (or two, or three etc etc - we all know how these things can mount up!) Maybe even have a desk set-up like jbb (beautiful!).

Thanks again.

Enjoy.

SeaGRick
May 27th, 2013, 09:50 PM
jbb,

Beautiful desk! I was inspired to spiffy up my studio desk and am going to revive my desk blotter!

May I ask.., what are those two, interesting nibs in the handles to the left? They look interesting and unique, but I cannot make them out.

I'm into obscure writing tools.

Thank you,

Rick

jbb
May 28th, 2013, 06:49 AM
jbb,

Beautiful desk! I was inspired to spiffy up my studio desk and am going to revive my desk blotter!

May I ask.., what are those two, interesting nibs in the handles to the left? They look interesting and unique, but I cannot make them out.

I'm into obscure writing tools.

Thank you,

Rick

Those nibs are no longer in those holders.... I switch nibs a lot but I think they are Henry 387 EF nibs.

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6099/6394505027_12def1917c_o.jpg

OakIris
May 29th, 2013, 07:57 AM
I should think that for "out and about" use, a small sheet of blotter paper slipped into your journal or notebook would work perfectly - as it has for you, CS388 . Some of those vintage advertising blotter sheets are pretty cool looking, too. There is no real need to get a rocker blotter, in lieu of using the sheets, except that there are some really nice vintage ones to be had out there that might tempt you.....

Rocker blotters are more for desk use, in my opinion, unless you get one of these:

These mini-blotters are really only sufficient for blotting signatures, but still kind of cute! :P

Holly

SeaGRick
May 29th, 2013, 06:04 PM
Thank you.

Rick

Runnin_Ute
May 30th, 2013, 08:49 PM
I have this really gorgeous desk that belonged to my grandfather in my basement collecting dust and propping up a pc with a 386 or 486 processor and some other stuff. I need to set it up somewhere other than where it is. I also have a set of books that belonged to him that date to 1923 and a pocket watch that dates to 1908.

OakIris
June 1st, 2013, 10:48 AM
I have this really gorgeous desk that belonged to my grandfather in my basement collecting dust and propping up a pc with a 386 or 486 processor and some other stuff. I need to set it up somewhere other than where it is. I also have a set of books that belonged to him that date to 1923 and a pocket watch that dates to 1908.

Sounds like a really nice desk - I hope you will share some pictures of it when you get it all set up again.

(Just curious - did you intend to post this in a thread about blotter sheets vs rocker blotters? Perhaps the mention of rocker blotters as a desk accessory reminded you that you had your grandfather's desk.)

Holly

tintak
June 1st, 2013, 01:08 PM
I have found large blotter sheets difficult to source.
My leather bound desk pad is lined with a large sheet of white blotter paper (from Pendemonium). I'd love to be able get green or a marbled blotter paper, but they don't seem to be available these days.
One of my large blotter sheets had to be chopped up to make liners for a 6" wooden rocker that I use at the desk. The Herbin (10 pack) blotters were not long enough to fit my rocker.
At my desk I prefer to use the rocker, but on the go, a small blotter sheet will do the trick.
There is always an Herbin or nibs.com blotter kept in my journal,...just in case.

jbb
June 1st, 2013, 01:19 PM
I have large moss green blotter paper but the ebay seller I got it from seems to only ship in the U.S.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190504781675?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_440wt_917

tintak
June 2nd, 2013, 06:44 PM
Thanks JBB.
A green sheet would be perfect to re-line my desk pad. The white sheets I have will do, though they can be eye-searing during long writing sessions.
Too bad the seller is on e-bay.
If only I could source it from a traditional merchant,... without having to use PayPal.
And of course, I need to have it shipped North of the Border.

jbb
June 2nd, 2013, 08:35 PM
Thanks JBB.
A green sheet would be perfect to re-line my desk pad. The white sheets I have will do, though they can be eye-searing during long writing sessions.
Too bad the seller is on e-bay.
If only I could source it from a traditional merchant,... without having to use PayPal.
And of course, I need to have it shipped North of the Border.

A while back I used some Canson art paper (?) as a blotter. It's not really blotter paper but it was okay and it comes in wonderful colors

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5113/7432459568_160fca1fff_c.jpg

tintak
June 4th, 2013, 11:02 AM
The art paper is a great idea.
Thanks.

(BTW, what's arranged on your pad greatly enhances the look of that mustard coloured paper.
You must have a wonderful collection.)

Before I was able to source four large white sheets of "real" blotting paper from Pendemonium (no longer available), I also used a smooth, soft-finished art paper to cover my regulation desk-pad. My Board of Education issued a dark olive/green desk blotter till the mid 80s, but after that, art paper became the substitute.

The white blotter on my current desk-pad is not there for its blotting qualities, but to provide some padding under my writing sheets. I tend to be fairly heavy handed with my edged nibs.
Lately I've also placed 12"X12" art cards of various pastel colours under my writing, just to help outline the edges of the paper. This works but a contrasting sheet that completely lines my desk-pad would be the best.