PDA

View Full Version : London 'The Hole' Geek Gathering

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Annie
May 13th, 2013, 03:43 PM
Ladies, Gentlemen and Stevie,

I feel it is time another trip to The Hole was organised. I can reserve a table at the usual place. They have forgiven us for last time and it didn't cost too much to repair. Bring your own silicone grease. Please advise on your availability...

carlc
May 13th, 2013, 03:56 PM
<takes step forward>

I volunteer!

Sundays are good for me.

Annie
May 13th, 2013, 04:21 PM
<takes step forward>

I volunteer!

Sundays are good for me.

Fabulous. I will consult with fellow geeks and we will discuss. News to follow. Don't forget the grease. Can you supply disposable gloves? I would assume between the all of us, this is possible. I will bring ink and micromesh. Don't tell 'em your name Pike!

Annie
May 14th, 2013, 12:43 AM
In light of Brother Carl's availability, shall we aim for Sunday 2nd June? Noon?

dannzeman
May 14th, 2013, 07:27 AM
They have forgiven us for last time and it didn't cost too much to repair.
I think we need some details!

carlc
May 14th, 2013, 09:45 AM

A Gentleman never tells!

Annie
May 14th, 2013, 03:59 PM

A Gentleman never tells!

Thank you Carl. :)

Do you think we should revive 'cheapest pen of the month'? Somehow, I think Paul is always going to win but it's fun trying. Yet to speak with Bee on this matter but he would probably be swayed on the basis that Christopher's has reopened and it's only a short stagger from The Hole. My liver is still in shock from the last time but I'm willing to risk it. I will speak with the other member tomorrow, if he doesn't show up here before.

Obviously, we need to firm up numbers and draw straws on who is bringing the virgin. More details as and when...

carlc
May 14th, 2013, 04:08 PM
I don't even try to enter CPOM - I'm incapable of ever winning.

Annie
May 14th, 2013, 04:16 PM
I don't even try to enter CPOM - I'm incapable of ever winning.

Oh I'm sure fleabay can offer up something.
PS: Will ask the venue if they can provide more sawdust on the floor to cope with, er, spillage.

Annie
May 17th, 2013, 12:32 PM
Dear Brother Carl and various other esteemed members:

It's beginning to look a lot like the June 2nd meet is a goer. We have a small mammal, an old lady, Brother Carl and possibly a Bee (though yet to confirm.) Carl, you can find the virgin this month even though I'm sure that's a tricky one, given your neck of the woods. You'll cope manfully I'm sure. I have been rummaging and seem to have a fair amount of ink to donate (so that I can buy some more.)

Venue: The Hole
Time: Noon
Date: 2nd June (yes, this year.)

Carl, could you please alert Brother Paul and his lady wife?

I hope that's all clear...

carlc
May 17th, 2013, 12:58 PM
Consider it done Dear Lady

Let's put it this way it would be difficult to find three wise men round here never mind a maiden.

We could sacrifice a Bic biro (alternatively I'll see if the Tube driver will let me bring a goat on the train).

Annie
May 17th, 2013, 02:13 PM
Bring the Bic and the goat. As they say in the scouts; be prepared.

carlc
May 17th, 2013, 02:23 PM
Dib, dib ,dib.

Annie
May 23rd, 2013, 05:09 AM
Dib, dib ,dib.

Update: Seems we have sufficient numbers to make this enjoyable. :)

oldstoat
May 23rd, 2013, 03:39 PM
Can I come too?

carlc
May 24th, 2013, 01:56 AM
Can I come too?

I thought you already were.

Of course!

carlc
May 24th, 2013, 02:04 AM
Annie

Paul may, or may not, be coming - they have a Charity event on the Saturday and he may still be clearing up.

I've PM'd a few on FPN and had one definite and one 'can't'.

Annie
May 24th, 2013, 01:52 PM
Well we will forgive Paul his charity event. Wow, it must be quite a night if they are still clearing up the following day. Good for them. As for the rest of us, it will be fine. Me and my favourite engineer will be there to lower the tone. Now, what news of virgins and goats?

oldstoat
May 24th, 2013, 04:51 PM
It's London. Virgins and goats are in short supply.

Annie
June 2nd, 2013, 04:56 AM
Well I'm here. No sign of Brother Carl..most worrying.

Annie
June 2nd, 2013, 05:01 AM
I have located Brother Carl. :)

carlc
June 2nd, 2013, 10:12 AM
Impatient madam - 11:56!

I woz there two minutes late.

Edit: one minute according to post times!

Annie
June 2nd, 2013, 10:20 AM
I am still trying to get home. So is The Stoat.
The pens and the company were fun. Shame about the goat.

carlc
June 2nd, 2013, 10:43 AM
Mmm beer - one of my many weaknesses.

Hope you and the stoat make it home soon.

I must say by the time I'd got off the tube the anaesthetic had started to wear off.

Tracy Lee
June 2nd, 2013, 10:46 AM
Not surprised, since ya'll were clearly drinking upside down. ;)

Annie
June 2nd, 2013, 11:48 AM
Ah. I see I didn't press the buttons in the right order. I will see if I can straighten things out. Goodness Carl, you didn't have that much! I believe The Stoat made it back. Not sure if he still has all his Sheaffers. One or two might have gone missing. Carl, tell me again where you got that 13 quid pen?

carlc
June 2nd, 2013, 01:24 PM
Piccie has always been the right way up for me.

Okay maybe I meant analgaesic effect.

As for the pen - search for Kaigelu 316 on ebay.

Annie
June 2nd, 2013, 02:08 PM
Piccie has always been the right way up for me.

Okay maybe I meant analgaesic effect.

As for the pen - search for Kaigelu 316 on ebay.

Thanks for that. Off to fleabay...

carlc
June 3rd, 2013, 06:58 AM
Weird - on a PC I can see the issue with the upside down picture but on an ipod it was the right way up!

carl

Annie
June 3rd, 2013, 11:38 AM
Weird - on a PC I can see the issue with the upside down picture but on an ipod it was the right way up!

carl

I don't understand that but then there's quite a lot I don't understand. Anyway, your nib is done. Drop me a PM with your snail mail addy and I'll post it back to you.

Annie
June 14th, 2013, 12:35 PM
The next meeting at The Hole is 7th July 2013. All welcome. Stick your paw in the air if you can make it...

I will bring the goat this month.

oldstoat
June 15th, 2013, 02:32 AM
Hope to be there. By the way- the pic is the right way up. We were upside down. I blame the beer. Again

I may bring my scratchy CS for nib advice and tuning. It's a pretty pen, so I suspect that that a shameless pen person will once again try to smuggle it home without my noticing....

Annie
June 15th, 2013, 12:05 PM
Hope to be there. By the way- the pic is the right way up. We were upside down. I blame the beer. Again

I may bring my scratchy CS for nib advice and tuning. It's a pretty pen, so I suspect that that a shameless pen person will once again try to smuggle it home without my noticing....

Bring both your scratchy CS pens and I will deal with them. Do not touch either of them with your scalpel. I have given up trying to smuggle anything past you but can you blame a girl for trying?

carlc
June 18th, 2013, 01:35 AM
Paw in air (hopefully).

Annie
June 18th, 2013, 03:13 PM
Paw in air (hopefully).
Goody. :)

Annie
June 24th, 2013, 01:43 PM
Just a reminder....

Coal Hole on The Strand. Time: TBA but likely 12noon/2pm. All welcome. Bring pens/paper/ink/a willingness to giggle.

View from the Loft
June 28th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Paw tentatively in air, snag is it's silly season at work and much as I like playing/talking pens, my family could really do with some of my time. I'll see how it goes nearer the time.

Annie
July 1st, 2013, 03:35 PM
We are aiming for 2pm Sunday. Carl, are you able to attend?

carlc
July 4th, 2013, 01:39 AM
We are aiming for 2pm Sunday. Carl, are you able to attend?

EEk! Missed the last post - sorry things are going pear shaped in Watford - I'll have a sitrep in 24 hours or so.

Annie
July 6th, 2013, 12:52 PM
Wash the pear shaped bits out with warm water and refill with Diamine Chocolate Brown. It cures most things. Hope to see you tomorrow.

View from the Loft
July 7th, 2013, 03:21 AM
Sorry folks, it was a really long night at work and I only got home an hour ago. I'm not going to make it today, but hopefully next time ...

Annie
July 7th, 2013, 12:32 PM
That's a shame. It was a small (but perfectly formed) gathering. Hope to see you next month.

RuiFromUK
July 9th, 2013, 01:36 AM
Apologies for not making it to the meeting in London but I was away in Zuerich for the weekend and only came back last night.

On the other hand I am a very happy geek having bought an older (but modern) Pelikan fountain pen ink OB nib at 50% discount and 2 bottles of the new Caran d'Ache FP ink: magnetic blue and cosmic black.

RuiFromUK
August 11th, 2013, 12:12 PM
Great to have met some of you this afternoon. Hopefully everyone understood my accent. Lol

Incorrigible me and not entirely satisfied with the £1.99 Berol fp purchase on my way to the station popped into Paperchase and bought the cheapest demonstrator I'll ever buy for £6.00. I nave added a converter and I am looking forward to fill it up with the fluorescent yellow Pelikan ink that should arrive tomorrow!

oldstoat
August 11th, 2013, 03:43 PM
Great to meet you Rui. Wonderful pens and great recipes!
See you next month, and I hope at the London Pen Show in October

Annie
August 11th, 2013, 11:27 PM
Great to have met some of you this afternoon. Hopefully everyone understood my accent. Lol

Incorrigible me and not entirely satisfied with the £1.99 Berol fp purchase on my way to the station popped into Paperchase and bought the cheapest demonstrator I'll ever buy for £6.00. I nave added a converter and I am looking forward to fill it up with the fluorescent yellow Pelikan ink that should arrive tomorrow!

Good to meet you too. :) At two quid, that Berol was over-priced! What was the point of trying to smooth that nib? Only that I like a challenge. It is interesting to note that so often at these things, we get on to the subject of food and if ever you write down that prawn recipe in your fabulous handwriting, I would love a copy. The Pelikan ink sounds amazing - hope to see it next month.

View from the Loft
August 12th, 2013, 06:02 AM
Yes, a good time yesterday, and although I can't eat fish, I'm sure the rest of my family would enjoy them.

Saving up the pennies now for the show in October, when I will stock up on some more ink without paying postage.

RuiFromUK
August 28th, 2013, 06:13 AM
Does anyone know when is the next gathering? I am thirsty. :)

Annie
August 29th, 2013, 12:50 AM
Does anyone know when is the next gathering? I am thirsty. :)

Rui - next thirst quenching is on Saturday 7th @ 2pm at the same place. I hope you can join us. :)

RuiFromUK
August 30th, 2013, 06:36 AM
Hi Annie,

Thank you.

To ensure I take everything necessary, I have already filled a 5ml vial with the fluorescent yellow ink and another with Akkermann China Town Red. As a precaution do not forget to take sunglasses. :cool:

Annie
August 31st, 2013, 12:23 PM
Hi Annie,

Thank you.

To ensure I take everything necessary, I have already filled a 5ml vial with the fluorescent yellow ink and another with Akkermann China Town Red. As a precaution do not forget to take sunglasses. :cool:

Note to self: Take flying goggles and don't wear a white shirt.:crazy_pilot:

View from the Loft
August 31st, 2013, 01:48 PM
Unfortunately, I can't persuade any one to swap, so I'll be working and unable to see you all this time.

Annie
September 1st, 2013, 02:09 AM
Unfortunately, I can't persuade any one to swap, so I'll be working and unable to see you all this time.

Oh, that's a shame. Perhaps we can get together at the London show on 6th October.

View from the Loft
September 1st, 2013, 12:40 PM

Oh, that's a shame. Perhaps we can get together at the London show on 6th October.

Sounds a good plan to me. I'm currently putting together a shopping list of things for that so that I can save on postage charges. My lucky younger son has acquired a really nice P45 Flighter with no convertor, that sort of thing.

RuiFromUK
September 9th, 2013, 02:28 AM
Another great session on Saturday. Thank you Annie for helping me with my pens' nibs.

Hopefully everyone has enjoyed the pens I took this time, including my small 'birds' collection (Swans and Pelikans). There are very few pens left for you to see from my collection.

Whenever someone has a spare moment, can I be provided with a link to the location of the London pen show next month? Many thanks.

Rui

RuiFromUK
September 13th, 2013, 02:00 AM
Just refreshing the thread to see if someone could please let me know where in Bloombury is the pen show next month.

Many thanks.

Rui

View from the Loft
September 13th, 2013, 01:07 PM
Just refreshing the thread to see if someone could please let me know where in Bloombury is the pen show next month.

Many thanks.

Rui

It's the Holiday Inn, Bloomsbury, which is in Coram Street, WC1N 1HT.

RuiFromUK
October 28th, 2013, 10:06 AM
Any estimate for the date of the next gathering?

Many thanks.

Rui

DavidDecorator
October 29th, 2013, 01:31 AM
I would say that the first weekend in December is a good bet. Not only will it allow me to use up some of the ink in my pens so that they can be flushed ready for a dip but it will also mean that I can come as I've got work every day this month.
We could also do a secret Santa type thing or not.
I missed you all at the London Pen show due to my bad memory and a dying battery.
Oh and where can I buy those nib smoother devices that Anne had?

RuiFromUK
October 29th, 2013, 06:37 AM
What no November meeting? You guys are slipping up!
Early December might be tricky for me as I always fly to the continent to buy Xmas stuff.
I bought my K&S Brass Shim sheets in Amazon. Or do you mean Micro Mesh polishing kit? It also came from Amazon.

DavidDecorator
November 27th, 2013, 06:19 AM
Hi Folks. How about Sunday the 8th of December. Usual time usual place. If anyone wants to paste this to the other forums feel free. I'll see you there with my lemonade.

View from the Loft
November 27th, 2013, 11:42 AM
Sorry folks, one of my colleagues will be off work for a few weeks, which means extra weekends at work for me. But to all who can make it, have a good time.

DavidDecorator
November 28th, 2013, 12:01 AM
Well I know the usual place is The Coal Hole Pub on The Strand up the road from Charing Cross Stn but what is the usual time. 13:30 perhaps.

Annie
November 28th, 2013, 02:19 AM
Sundays are awful for me because of trains but I hope there's a good turn out.

RuiFromUK
November 28th, 2013, 05:46 AM
Sundays are awful for me because of trains but I hope there's a good turn out.

I second Annie on Sunday meetings for exactly the same reason. December 1st is an example of no train service for most of the day.

For Sunday 8th of December I'll have to play it by ear and post another message closer to the time.

DavidDecorator
December 2nd, 2013, 09:32 AM
As some people have will have difficulty to come on Sunday and Saturday is out of the question due to Christmas Shoppers why don't we exercise plan B. and postpone this meeting to the second Saturday of January. So 8th of December is now off.

Annie
December 2nd, 2013, 09:43 AM
As some people have will have difficulty to come on Sunday and Saturday is out of the question due to Christmas Shoppers why don't we exercise plan B. and postpone this meeting to the second Saturday of January. So 8th of December is now off.

Grrr. Looks like I will be sitting on my own then as I was planning to brave the train madness and do the 8th. No matter, I don't mind talking to myself.

RuiFromUK
December 5th, 2013, 05:34 AM
Hi Annie,

Unfortunately it seems to be the case of no trainst again this coming Sunday so I'll not be able to make it.

Saturdays in general is a better option. Let us hold thumbs for January.

Meanwhile you just have to be patient until January for me to show you my own Xmas present to myself!

Have a Great Peaceful Christmas period everyone.

Rui

Annie
December 6th, 2013, 02:12 PM
It seems there are trains from Kent so I am sure I will find something to amuse myself with even if it isn't pens. Looking forward to seeing your gift. Mine is likely to be my favourite perfume. No, well spotted, I can't write with that. Best to you and yours for Christmas and the new year. xx

Tracy Lee
December 6th, 2013, 05:36 PM
If it were reasonable to catch a flight I would join you. I owe you a beer or three anyway!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Annie
December 12th, 2013, 12:02 AM
Hi Tracy!

I managed to find some simple entertainment at the British Museum, followed by lunch. Not a wasted trip at all.

Annie
December 27th, 2013, 01:48 AM
Does anyone fancy a pen meet in London at The Hole on Saturday 4th January?

RuiFromUK
December 27th, 2013, 04:30 AM
Hi Annie,

I am up for it.

Rui

View from the Loft
December 27th, 2013, 05:51 AM
If I can get a pass out from the family, yes. Will confirm tomorrow.

Annie
December 27th, 2013, 02:45 PM
Excellent. Looking forward to it.

View from the Loft
December 29th, 2013, 09:13 AM
OK, have managed to gain pass out, so will be attending.

Annie
December 29th, 2013, 10:05 AM
OK, have managed to gain pass out, so will be attending.

Good stuff. Suggest a meet time of noon.

View from the Loft
December 29th, 2013, 10:18 AM

Sounds a good plan.

Anyone got any particular inks or pens they want me to bring? Just remember that my pens are stubs or italics.

Annie
December 29th, 2013, 02:31 PM

Sounds a good plan.

Anyone got any particular inks or pens they want me to bring? Just remember that my pens are stubs or italics.

Anything you like! From my experience, anything you bring will be lovely.

RuiFromUK
December 30th, 2013, 04:19 AM
It is definitely going to be a 'stub' meeting as I am taking with me my latest daily pen... and if I recall I'll also pack a couple of script pens of the same brand which have, guess what, stub nibs. :)

Unless someone asks me otherwise I'll not take any inks with me. Maybe just one to try any pens that have not been inked.

As I am going shopping in the morning with my wife I might be a bit late but I'll be there.

migo984
December 30th, 2013, 04:39 AM
I haven't been to one of these meet-ups in London yet. Would it be OK for me to join in, if I can get there on Saturday (not sure yet)? Are there any special arrangements and whereabouts do you meet in 'The Hole'?

As a first-timer offering, if I manage to get there, would anybody be interested if I bring some Tomoe River paper for people to try?

RuiFromUK
December 30th, 2013, 04:47 AM
Anyone is welcome to the very informal meeting at The Hole. Probably the only requirement is that you are interested in fountain pens and related materials.

Otherwise no requirements at all and usually we meet in the downstairs room away from the noise.

Please feel free to bring any pens, ink and I would love to try the Tomoe River paper that some of the members talk about.

Annie
December 30th, 2013, 05:41 AM
I haven't been to one of these meet-ups in London yet. Would it be OK for me to join in, if I can get there on Saturday (not sure yet)? Are there any special arrangements and whereabouts do you meet in 'The Hole'?

As a first-timer offering, if I manage to get there, would anybody be interested if I bring some Tomoe River paper for people to try?

Do join us if you can. As Rui says, it's very informal. Yes, some paper would be good to try. 'The Hole' is actually a pub called The Coal Hole on The Strand. The lower bar is quieter and the entrance to it is to the left of the main door.

I will bring some ink for dipping and I don't mind doing a bit of nib fettling/smoothing if anyone wants to bring nibs that need attention.

RuiFromUK
December 30th, 2013, 06:45 AM
I will bring some ink for dipping and I don't mind doing a bit of nib fettling/smoothing if anyone wants to bring nibs that need attention.

And Annie is excellent at this and always willing to help clueless souls like me.

Annie
December 30th, 2013, 09:51 AM

And Annie is excellent at this and always willing to help clueless souls like me.

You're not clueless Rui. Anyone who has such an interesting collection can't be.:)

oldstoat
January 2nd, 2014, 12:56 AM
I'll put my paw up too- see you there!

RuiFromUK
January 3rd, 2014, 02:23 AM
Annie,

By accident my colleague dropped my M800 pen on the floor and the nib is now bent. Tomorrow would you mind having a look at it? He says he will pay for a new nib but it costs £145 and I can only hope that it is fixable.

Many thanks for your help once again.

Rui

oldstoat
January 3rd, 2014, 09:00 AM
AAAARGH!

I feel your pain.

Annie
January 3rd, 2014, 03:29 PM
Annie,

By accident my colleague dropped my M800 pen on the floor and the nib is now bent. Tomorrow would you mind having a look at it? He says he will pay for a new nib but it costs £145 and I can only hope that it is fixable.

Many thanks for your help once again.

Rui

Rui - not sure if you got my PM but yes, do bring it along and I will bring a few additional tools to see if I can fix it.

Jon Szanto
January 3rd, 2014, 04:25 PM
:postpics:

(Well, not worthless, but it would sure be fun to see you guys having... fun!)

migo984
January 4th, 2014, 02:59 AM
Apologies folks - turns out I'm a fair weather geek. This weather is just too awful to make the trip into town. Have fun, and I hope to join you next time.

Annie
January 4th, 2014, 05:01 AM
Just a note for anyone attending... The downstairs bar can be accessed throughout the main bar. Just follow your nose and the signs for 'ladies / downstairs'.

Annie
January 4th, 2014, 01:11 PM
A fairly typical Pen Molesters meeting at The Hole today, featuring various members, inky fingers, beer, wine and some lovely pens. Photos as reqested...

Tony Rex
January 4th, 2014, 06:34 PM
I can't see the photos.

Jon Szanto
January 4th, 2014, 06:40 PM
I can't see the photos.

I couldn't either, Tony, and I've sent a report in to the admins. I think something is bonked in the attachments software. Or something.

KrazyIvan
January 4th, 2014, 06:51 PM
See post 6 of this thread: http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/4518-Attachment-photos-not-working

Jon Szanto
January 4th, 2014, 07:21 PM
See post 6 of this thread: http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/4518-Attachment-photos-not-working

Bummer.

Annie
January 5th, 2014, 01:23 AM
I think I've sorted out the photos now...

Jon Szanto
January 5th, 2014, 01:29 AM
Yay! Oh, that does look like a good bit of fun. And if you tell me that Helen Mirren is actually a regular at these meetings, I'll start looking at airfares... :) <3

Annie
January 5th, 2014, 01:33 AM
Yay! Oh, that does look like a good bit of fun. And if you tell me that Helen Mirren is actually a regular at these meetings, I'll start looking at airfares... :) <3

You're not the first to have said it though I just don't see it.

oldstoat
January 6th, 2014, 03:19 AM
Actually, it's a little-known fact that Ms Mirren, or "Annie" as she prefers to be known when incognito, is not only a fine actress but a fountain pen lover and a fine nib fettler.

RuiFromUK
January 6th, 2014, 05:07 AM
Actually, it's a little-known fact that Ms Mirren, or "Annie" as she prefers to be known when incognito, is not only a fine actress but a fountain pen lover and a fine nib fettler.

And a fine artist, painting in different mediums to top up this informal CV.

RuiFromUK
January 6th, 2014, 05:08 AM
On another note tomorrow the M800 and the two nibs are going to be sent to the local servicemen appointed by Pelikan for their evaluation. Holding thumbs and toes.

RuiFromUK
January 6th, 2014, 08:24 AM
At the meeting some one was mentioned as a possible source for the Conklin nib. Is it possible if someone could please let me know the details?

Many thanks.

Rui

Annie
January 6th, 2014, 01:42 PM
At the meeting some one was mentioned as a possible source for the Conklin nib. Is it possible if someone could please let me know the details?

Many thanks

Rui

Not sure I can supply a source for a Conklin. If memory serves, I suggested checking the bay and looking for a junker with a decent nib. Yours is, having looked at it, knackered, unless you are wanting to get it re tipped.

Re your Pelikan... Really sorry that despite straightening it, the ink don't flow. If you have no joy with Pelikan, I have spoken to a mate this evening - ex Pelikan chap with a shedload of new old stock and we can better the price you have quoted on a new nib by quite a long way. First though, see what Pelikan have to say because there may be more going on with that pen than the naff nib. Really hope you are making your colleague see the error or his ways on your pen. Personally, I would have already ripped his head off and spit down the neck.

Annie
January 6th, 2014, 01:55 PM
Right, so let's get this straight. I look like Helen Mirren? I know this; it's been said before and a random stranger on a train asked me for an autograph/asked me out to lunch/suggested a quickie in an hotel. All this when I was off to no2 child's graduation. All refused. The thing about all of this is that I do not see that I look anything like Ms Mirren and actually, she is 16 years older than me. This does not fill me with confidence so suggestions that I look 16 years older than I am are likely to get the rough edge of my tongue. In addition, I am happily spoken for. I work, I paint, I grind nibs, make pen wraps and (mostly) stay out of trouble.

mhosea
January 6th, 2014, 02:43 PM
Ouch. Oldstoat, I suggest a hasty retreat, noting that Helen Mirren has apparently been a beautiful woman for her whole life, and that the confusion here is that Annie reminds you not so much of Helen Mirren today as of her two decades ago.

Annie
January 6th, 2014, 03:28 PM
Ouch. Oldstoat, I suggest a hasty retreat, noting that Helen Mirren has apparently been a beautiful woman for her whole life, and that the confusion here is that Annie reminds you not so much of Helen Mirren today as of her two decades ago.

Mike - I do hope you work in the diplomatic corp somewhere because that was a fine response. :) No ouch necessary. The stoat knows me pretty well.

whych
January 6th, 2014, 03:49 PM
Re your Pelikan... Really sorry that despite straightening it, the ink don't flow. If you have no joy with Pelikan, I have spoken to a mate this evening - ex Pelikan chap with a shedload of new old stock and we can better the price you have quoted on a new nib by quite a long way.
Sorry to hijack the thread, but do you think he would have an M600 cap hiding around somewhere?
I am looking for a cap, 2nd user is fine.

Annie
January 6th, 2014, 04:04 PM
Re your Pelikan... Really sorry that despite straightening it, the ink don't flow. If you have no joy with Pelikan, I have spoken to a mate this evening - ex Pelikan chap with a shedload of new old stock and we can better the price you have quoted on a new nib by quite a long way.
Sorry to hijack the thread, but do you think he would have an M600 cap hiding around somewhere?
I am looking for a cap, 2nd user is fine.

No problem, not a hijack. I will ask my mate. He seems to have everything else.

RuiFromUK
January 7th, 2014, 12:16 AM
Fantastic Annie. Thank you very much.

On my desk is the packed pen and nibs to be sent to Pelikan and as you said there seems to be something else besides the nib otherwise we could not explain the identical behaviour of the O3B :jaw: nib!

Annie
January 7th, 2014, 01:33 AM
Fantastic Annie. Thank you very much.

On my desk is the packed pen and nibs to be sent to Pelikan and as you said there seems to be something else besides the nib otherwise we could not explain the identical behaviour of the O3B :jaw: nib!

Exactly. I suggest a covering letter explaining or they might be tempted to just switch out the nibs and return it. Please post it special delivery too. I hope 'The Banker' is suitably humbled by this experience and is prepared for the bill.

RuiFromUK
January 7th, 2014, 01:43 AM
Exactly. I suggest a covering letter explaining or they might be tempted to just switch out the nibs and return it. Please post it special delivery too. I hope 'The Banker' is suitably humbled by this experience and is prepared for the bill.

On the accompanying form I described the problem written with a Pelikan M400 OBB nib telling them that this is the type of performance I am going to compare to ( :mad2: ) when the items are returned. Great idea about special delivery, I thought about registering it.

You should have seen my colleague's face when I showed your letter. :)

Annie
January 7th, 2014, 01:56 AM

On the accompanying form I described the problem written with a Pelikan M400 OBB nib telling them that this is the type of performance I am going to compare to ( :mad2: ) when the items are returned. Great idea about special delivery, I thought about registering it.

You should have seen my colleague's face when I showed your letter. :)

He's very lucky it was only a letter! His 'gentlemen's vegetables' would have been in danger if I'd got near him. Yes, do send special delivery because you can specify the amount of insurance and you get a signature and tracking. I send all pens worth over 40 quid special - it's just safer.

View from the Loft
January 8th, 2014, 10:51 AM

Many thanks.

Rui

PM sent

Annie
January 10th, 2014, 03:27 PM
Just a note about the next geek gathering. How about Saturday 8th February? Usual place.

Jon Szanto
January 10th, 2014, 03:58 PM
All refused. The thing about all of this is that I do not see that I look anything like Ms Mirren and actually, she is 16 years older than me.

Of course, all of this was meant in both good fun and complimentarily. The thing about public personas, especially (maybe) with actors, is that we 'know' them from differing time periods. I have no doubt that the image in my mind of Ms. Mirren is from quite a few years ago, and besides that, I think she has aged magnificently. I fondly remember a New Yorker profile on her from a few years ago, and the other thing is that she is a strong, feisty person, which also reminds me of you.

All to say that you come across as a delight. And that's the last I'll say of it! http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb204/EnvoyC/emotes/flower.gif

Annie
January 11th, 2014, 12:45 AM
All refused. The thing about all of this is that I do not see that I look anything like Ms Mirren and actually, she is 16 years older than me.

Of course, all of this was meant in both good fun and complimentarily. The thing about public personas, especially (maybe) with actors, is that we 'know' them from differing time periods. I have no doubt that the image in my mind of Ms. Mirren is from quite a few years ago, and besides that, I think she has aged magnificently. I fondly remember a New Yorker profile on her from a few years ago, and the other thing is that she is a strong, feisty person, which also reminds me of you.

All to say that you come across as a delight. And that's the last I'll say of it! http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb204/EnvoyC/emotes/flower.gif

Noooo! Keep shipping in the compliments. Offers of expensive perfume/pens/fast cars also work. Feisty? Yes, possibly a character trait I share with Ms Mirren. I think she is taller than me though I note that most people are.

Annie
January 14th, 2014, 01:14 AM
Just a note about the next geek gathering. How about Saturday 8th February? Usual place.

Any takers for this?

RuiFromUK
January 14th, 2014, 02:04 AM

Many thanks.

Rui

PM sent

Thanks for the pm. I have emailed him few days ago and I still have not heard anything. Probably he has no Conklin nibs.

RuiFromUK
January 14th, 2014, 02:08 AM

Any takers for this?

At the moment I am waiting for the boss, she is stuck on delayed trains (maybe due to sun shining today?). As soon my wife calls me back I'll confirm.

RuiFromUK
January 14th, 2014, 02:41 AM
Hi Annie,

Yes I'll be there.

Kind regards,

Rui

View from the Loft
January 14th, 2014, 05:23 AM

Any takers for this?
Sorry, I've been trying to get a swap at work and can't get one. I'm out this time around.

View from the Loft
January 14th, 2014, 05:25 AM

Many thanks.

Rui

PM sent

Thanks for the pm. I have emailed him few days ago and I still have not heard anything. Probably he has no Conklin nibs.

I understand that Eric is working at the moment as well as pen repairs, so it may take him a while to reply.

RuiFromUK
January 15th, 2014, 04:43 AM
I understand that Eric is working at the moment as well as pen repairs, so it may take him a while to reply.

Thank you very much. I'll be a patient.

Annie
January 15th, 2014, 10:45 AM

Any takers for this?
Sorry, I've been trying to get a swap at work and can't get one. I'm out this time around.

Oh, that's a shame. :(

Annie
January 21st, 2014, 02:04 AM
Update: So far, there's little me, Rui, oldstoat. Will email/text Stevie and Carl. Please feel free to cross post to anyone interested.

RuiFromUK
January 31st, 2014, 06:30 AM
Unfortunately Annie I have to drop out of the meeting. I had some surgery las week Thursday which requires another small procedure this coming Thursday therefore I doubt I'll be in any conditions on Saturday.

I should be more than fit for the next one though.

Now an apology. At the last meeting we were talking about how many pens each of us have. I think I mentioned around 82. Well I was wrong and during my surgery recovery period I sorted my pens out and count them.

Scroll down if you want to have a shock... ;)

106!:jaw:

Annie
February 3rd, 2014, 02:05 AM
Only just seen this Rui. Sorry to hear you're out of action but on the plus side, you have a lot of pens to play with while you recover! Hope you feel better soon. xx

DavidDecorator
February 4th, 2014, 02:44 AM
Sorry to hear about your op Rui.
I will be coming on the 8th and I will be drinking sparkling water as I'm having a month off the booze to stop it getting a hold of me (occupational hazzard).
If you see me with an Ale in my hand then beat me.
All I've got to do now is sort out some pens to put in the lovely wrap I bought from Annie last year some of which will need some nib smoothing.
Unfortunately I don't really have any ink samples to share as overheads have increased and I can't afford to buy any at the moment so I might be revisiting my bag of cartridges again soon. I'll probably arrive at about 12ish if I can.
I'll also have a couple of nibs for Annie to smooth if she'd be so kind.

Annie
February 4th, 2014, 01:21 PM
I hate to be a killjoy but I'm going to have to bail out of the meeting. Perhaps we can re-arrange for a few weeks time as life seems to have intervened for most of us. David - if you have nibs that need urgent attention you can always post them to me. PM me for details of address, charges and the like. I have ink to give away and just purchased a candidate for 'cheap pen of the month.' My first pen with a glass nib. I blame Rui completely!

DavidDecorator
February 6th, 2014, 12:39 AM
Ah Thankyou Annie. I will pm you once I've finished using the pens that need smoothing so Thankyou for that. I actually will turn up on Saturday just in case someone else does. If nothing else
it'll be an afternoon out for me.

Annie
February 6th, 2014, 01:48 AM
Ah Thankyou Annie. I will pm you once I've finished using the pens that need smoothing so Thankyou for that. I actually will turn up on Saturday just in case someone else does. If nothing else
it'll be an afternoon out for me.

For info, Carl is otherwise engaged, no idea about Stevie and View from The Loft is also unavailable. Not sure about anyone else. Hoping we can all get together soon. Perhaps some date suggestions for late Feb/early March??? I think we are all agreed that Saturdays are better than Sundays.

DavidDecorator
February 6th, 2014, 06:58 AM
Ok, so yes I was looking forward to it most things I look forward to don't turn out as planned so I must stop doing that.
How about "Saturday the First of March" which is a lovely day because it's St . David's day and it would be nice to meet some friends then. About 13:30 or so.

Annie
February 6th, 2014, 11:41 AM
Ok, so yes I was looking forward to it most things I look forward to don't turn out as planned so I must stop doing that.
How about "Saturday the First of March" which is a lovely day because it's St . David's day and it would be nice to meet some friends then. About 13:30 or so.

Right at this moment, I know exactly how you feel.

RuiFromUK
February 7th, 2014, 03:44 AM
I hate to be a killjoy but I'm going to have to bail out of the meeting. Perhaps we can re-arrange for a few weeks time as life seems to have intervened for most of us. David - if you have nibs that need urgent attention you can always post them to me. PM me for details of address, charges and the like. I have ink to give away and just purchased a candidate for 'cheap pen of the month.' My first pen with a glass nib. I blame Rui completely!

Just when I was about to post that I was going there! I am recovering very fast and between today and tomorrow I should be fine to go on Sunday.

No problem. I'll follow the thread until the next date has been firmed.

Great to hear you finally found a glass nib pen. I know you have been looking for one for a while.

Next time we meet I also have a little present for you as a thank you for having helped me with the Pelikan M800 which is still somewhere in Germany for repairs. No, the little gift is not a glass nib pen.

Annie
February 7th, 2014, 09:19 AM
Glad to hear you're better Rui. My plans fell through so I will be in central London tomorrow (Saturday 8th.) I'll swing by The Hole at 13:00. If anyone is there, great. No problem if everyone is busy, I will shuffle off and find some trouble to get into.

View from the Loft
February 7th, 2014, 01:11 PM
Glad to hear that you're healing well Rui.

After the last couple of days, I could really do with good company in pleasant surroundings talking pens. No such luck - I'll be catching up with the work that was postponed while I was truly back on the front line.

Ah well, there's always next time ...

RuiFromUK
February 10th, 2014, 02:48 AM
Thank you both for the wishes.

On Saturday I was still a bit drowsy (drowsier than I am at the moment as it takes a bit of time every time I have anaesthetic) so I did not want to venture going to London on my own.

No worries I'll keep Annie's little gift pen safe so that when she gets it will be a bit more vintage. ;)

Annie
February 10th, 2014, 12:05 PM
Thank you both for the wishes.

On Saturday I was still a bit drowsy (drowsier than I am at the moment as it takes a bit of time every time I have anaesthetic) so I did not want to venture going to London on my own.

No worries I'll keep Annie's little gift pen safe so that when she gets it will be a bit more vintage. ;)

Goodness, I am intrigued! I hope your Pelikan is back by the time we next meet up. I did swing by The Hole and the place was rammed with people. Still I managed to amuse myself and didn't get covered in ink this time.

carlc
February 19th, 2014, 03:47 PM
I'm baaaack!

Is there a new date?

I just noticed the 1st March - is that a goer?

It's just before Lent and being a good Catholic boy etc.. Though there is a dispensation for pilgrims. :angel:

RuiFromUK
February 20th, 2014, 12:51 AM
Hi Carl,

So far my March Saturdays are open but this could change any time.

Looking forward to hear from the others.

p.s. Annie, your gift is now slightly more vintage! I am sure you will love it. :)

Annie
February 20th, 2014, 01:13 AM
I'm baaaack!

Is there a new date?

It's just before Lent and being a good Catholic boy etc.. Though there is a dispensation for pilgrims. :angel:

There is no way you are a good Catholic boy Carl. The 1st March is good for me. Are you bringing the goat? I still think I'm going to win CPM and it's a beauty too. :)

Annie
February 20th, 2014, 01:17 AM
Hi Carl,

So far my March Saturdays are open but this could change any time.

Looking forward to hear from the others.

p.s. Annie, your gift is now slightly more vintage! I am sure you will love it. :)

Rui - you are a sweetie but really wasn't necessary. I have to admit to being curious as to what it might be. And yes, I am on for the 1st March, flooding/unreasonable deadlines permitting.

RuiFromUK
February 20th, 2014, 01:27 AM
Hi Annie,

You are welcome.

Just in case I might take my swimming costume. Two months without a Geek gathering is a NO NO in my life, unless it is due to a force majore factor like my wife having booked me for something else.

Annie
February 20th, 2014, 01:31 AM
Hi Annie,

You are welcome.

Just in case I might take my swimming costume. Two months without a Geek gathering is a NO NO in my life, unless it is due to a force majore factor like my wife having booked me for something else.

A good rule to follow is never ever mess with wife bookings. Other than that, I follow The Rules as per Gibbs :)

Annie
February 20th, 2014, 01:35 AM
So far that's Rui, CarlC and The Stoat. Will pm View from The Loft and see if I can find Stevie though not hopeful on the latter.

RuiFromUK
February 20th, 2014, 01:51 AM
Hi Annie,

You are welcome.

A good rule to follow is never ever mess with wife bookings. Other than that, I follow The Rules as per Gibbs :)

The 'force majore of my life' (= 'wife' in the new Cockney or 'trouble and strife' in old Cockney) has cleared my outing to the gathering on 1st of March.

Just in case someone suggests 8th of March I am not available then.

RuiFromUK
February 20th, 2014, 01:55 AM
Another thing that amazes me: lately there have been quite a few new members living in London that have joined this forum, why none of them mentioned anything about joining us? As far as I know we are a very, very civilised little group :jaw:

Annie
February 20th, 2014, 03:37 PM
Another thing that amazes me lately: lately there have been quite a few new members living in London that have joined this forum, why none of them mentioned anything about joining us? As far as I know we are a very, very civilised little group :jaw:

Blimey Rui; not sure I can do civilised! Is there a dress code? I'll probably just sit in the corner and grind nibs, if nobody minds.

carlc
February 21st, 2014, 01:24 AM
I'm baaaack!

Is there a new date?

There is no way you are a good Catholic boy Carl. The 1st March is good for me. Are you bringing the goat? I still think I'm going to win CPM and it's a beauty too. :)

Okay as a Catholic boy I say here and now that the goat will be trussed and delivered at 12MD on the 1st March (except in the event of acts of Bob Crow).

BTW: 'Good' is a relative concept.:amen:

RuiFromUK
February 21st, 2014, 02:17 AM

Absolutely ( I mean relatively ;-) ) :)

carlc
February 21st, 2014, 09:06 AM
I'd just like to point out it's Ragnarok tomorrow so the whole conversation may be moot anyway.

View from the Loft
February 21st, 2014, 11:04 PM
Will negotiate pass out from family as soon as the rest of them are awake and confirm back here later.

Annie
February 22nd, 2014, 01:48 AM
I'm baaaack!

Is there a new date?

Okay as a Catholic boy I say here and now that the goat will be trussed and delivered at 12MD on the 1st March (except in the event of acts of Bob Crow).

I see you attended the same Catholic school as I did. Moving on...

A reminder that you wanted a stub nib grind on er... something - can't remember the pen. If you still want it, bring it with you and I'll do it there and then. Better than entrusting it to the postal service.

Annie
February 22nd, 2014, 01:52 AM
Dear Boys and Girls,

It seems there's going to be quite a few of us. Should I call The Hole and reserve that room at the back? It would be awful if there wasn't room enough for the goat...

Jon Szanto
February 22nd, 2014, 02:00 AM
It seems there's going to be quite a few of us. Should I call The Hole and reserve that room at the back? It would be awful if there wasn't room enough for the goat...

I live for moments when I read things like this!

View from the Loft
February 22nd, 2014, 05:41 AM
Reserving the room sounds good to me. I'll be there.

Annie
February 22nd, 2014, 06:49 AM
Right - table 14 (the little room at the back) is booked for high noon on the 1st March. Plenty of room for all of us and the goat (obviously.)

carlc
February 22nd, 2014, 02:41 PM
What I like is that the room is virtually a dungeon - no chance of offending the 'innocent'.

Just need sound proofing!

carlc
February 22nd, 2014, 02:43 PM
I'm baaaack!

Is there a new date?

A reminder that you wanted a stub nib grind on er... something - can't remember the pen. If you still want it, bring it with you and I'll do it there and then. Better than entrusting it to the postal service.

Are you sure you want to? It's the YoL...

DavidDecorator
February 23rd, 2014, 02:05 PM
A little room at the back. Is it upstairs or downstairs?

carlc
February 23rd, 2014, 02:17 PM

Downstairs - at the very back on the left and through a small door. If you can't find us ask the staff for "table 14" (and wink as you say it :wink:) - there's no phone reception down there so keep looking.

We'll put up a post if it's cancelled.

Annie
February 23rd, 2014, 03:51 PM
What I like is that the room is virtually a dungeon - no chance of offending the 'innocent'.

If it could also be equiped with a drainage system to cope with (ahem) spillage, that would also make it pretty perfect.

Annie
February 23rd, 2014, 03:55 PM

David - remember where we were sitting before, just at the bottom of the stairs? Table 14 would be behind and to the right of where you were sitting. Winking isn't completely necessary but the 'funny handshake' is.

Annie
February 23rd, 2014, 03:57 PM

Downstairs - at the very back on the left and through a small door. If you can't find us ask the staff for "table 14" (and wink as you say it :wink:) - there's no phone reception down there so keep looking.

We'll put up a post if it's cancelled.

Of course there's no phone reception in a lead lined room and 'the rules' call for a total communications blackout, just in case...

Annie
February 23rd, 2014, 03:59 PM
I'm baaaack!

Is there a new date?

Fine by me but it's entirely up to you and once it's done, tears and begging me to glue the tipping back on are not going to work. I will leave you to have a think...

carlc
February 23rd, 2014, 04:44 PM

If it could also be equiped with a drainage system to cope with (ahem) spillage, that would also make it pretty perfect.

I was referring to when Stoat does his full costume Liza Minnelli in Cabaret impression!

(Perhaps you were too!)

carlc
February 23rd, 2014, 04:45 PM
I'm baaaack!

Is there a new date?

Fine by me but it's entirely up to you and once it's done, tears and begging me to glue the tipping back on are not going to work. I will leave you to have a think...

I know the rules.

I'm going to ink it and drive it for a few days to make my mind up.

Annie
February 24th, 2014, 12:49 PM

I was referring to when Stoat does his full costume Liza Minnelli in Cabaret impression!

(Perhaps you were too!)

No that wasn't it. As it is, The Stoat will not be attending, so I believe.

RuiFromUK
February 25th, 2014, 07:24 AM
Powers that be have confirmed that I can attend this Geeks meeting.

At the moment not sure what I should bring with me since the Pelikan M800 is still out of my reach somewhere in Germany, courtesy of having taken more than 2 weeks to get there...

Please let me know if you would like me to take any inks?

Annie, I can also confirm your little present has been packed in the usual pen pouch which otherwise is empty.

View from the Loft
February 27th, 2014, 09:18 AM
Having spent a pleasant hour sorting through pens and inks, I will be bringing some ink samples along on Saturday that are looking for new homes. For whatever reason, these inks just don't appeal to me and I'd rather move them along to homes where they will be used.

Rather more shamefully, I have just discovered another 25 samples that I don't seem to have tried.

Never mind, it's an excuse to try out some more combinations :clap2:

Annie
February 27th, 2014, 11:50 AM
This should be fun: I have sorted out some ink too so I expect to be multicoloured when I leave. :)

RuiFromUK
February 28th, 2014, 03:24 AM
LOL to both of you.

On my side I am planning to show (off) one of my latest acquisitions to 'View from the Loft': a beautiful fp and pencil blue with gold lines CS set. Not that he needs that as he seems to have plenty of CS equipment. ;-D

Meanwhile I'll see what else I can bring.

* 'View from the Loft' Actually I meant the Stoat but I see he is not coming to the gathering.

carlc
March 2nd, 2014, 01:58 AM
"Hold it still!"

Well it has taken overnight to get over the goat insemination procedures (picture attached).

As always a great meeting involving View, Annie, David, Rui and myself.

Look forward to next month (how long are goats pregnant for)?

Annie
March 2nd, 2014, 07:02 AM
http://fpgeeks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=10232&stc=1
"Hold it still!"

Well it has taken overnight to get over the goat insemination procedures (picture attached).

As always a great meeting involving View, Annie, David, Rui and myself.

Look forward to next month (how long are goats pregnant for)?

Good to see you all and thanks for the Slimfold Carl and presents Rui. xxx

Ah yes, the goat... Gestation is (on average) 150 days so early August.

RuiFromUK
March 13th, 2014, 09:04 AM
It is obviously early to discuss these things but are there any estimates on the April meeting date?

Why I would like to know the answer is because there is a possibility I might not make it on the 5th of April.

Annie
March 13th, 2014, 11:47 AM
It is obviously early to discuss these things but are there any estimates on the April meeting date?

Why I would like to know the answer is because there is a possibility I might not make it on the 5th of April.

Shall we say Saturday 12th April? I'll drop Carl a line to see how he's fixed.

RuiFromUK
March 14th, 2014, 01:58 AM
Yes Saturday 12th of April would be great for me. Let us see what the others say.

View from the Loft
March 14th, 2014, 06:55 AM
12th April works for me too.

Annie
March 14th, 2014, 12:31 PM
Excellent stuff Rui and View. The Stoat is also able to join us. No word from Carl yet but I don't mind bringing the goat if nobody else can...

RuiFromUK
March 17th, 2014, 02:31 AM
Since it is almost middle of the month, hopefully the goat is going to behave this time around.

:jaw:

DavidDecorator
March 17th, 2014, 08:50 AM
I can do the 12th of April. I did put a post on FPN. I'm going to bring the repair bag so Rui can pick a couple of things to practice on if he wishes. I put a post on FPN about doing a pen swap. One for one as the ink went so well. If anyone can come up with another theme which doesn't involve fancy dress or......blank.

RuiFromUK
March 17th, 2014, 08:57 AM
Hi David. That would be brilliant. Looking forward to see it. Yesterday I attended the 3rd and last pen repair workshop organised by WES.

I have a duplicate bottle of Pelikan Edelstein ink Ruby colour in case someone wants it or at least some of it. Not sure what else you guys would like me to bring so please let me know.

Annie
March 17th, 2014, 11:29 AM
Hi David. That would be brilliant. Looking forward to see it. Yesterday I attended the 3rd and last pen repair workshop organised by WES.

I have a duplicate bottle of Pelikan Edelstein ink Ruby colour in case someone wants it or at least some of it. Not sure what else you guys would like me to bring so please let me know.

I'll bring some more ink along and some small empty bottles if anyone wants samples. You could, if you wanted, bring that prawn recipe... :)

Annie
March 17th, 2014, 11:32 AM
Brother Carl is also able to make it. I'll call and reserve the usual padded cell...

RuiFromUK
March 18th, 2014, 02:00 AM
I'll bring some more ink along and some small empty bottles if anyone wants samples. You could, if you wanted, bring that prawn recipe... :)

Excellent suggestion. Since I always carry the prawns recipe with me what about, for everyone interested in it, bringing their favourite fountain pens and paper to write it down? It has to be fountain pens though as it is a very traditional recipe from where I come from and they might not taste right if the recipe is written down by any other means (perish the thought on an email or any other digital format)?

Actually it would be great if the person who mentioned back in December Tomoe River paper could be there so that everyone could try writing on some different paper.

Annie
March 19th, 2014, 03:51 PM

Excellent suggestion. Since I always carry the prawns recipe with me what about, for everyone interested in it, bringing their favourite fountain pens and paper to write it down? It has to be fountain pens though as it is a very traditional recipe from where I come from and they might not taste right if the recipe is written down by any other means (perish the thought on an email or any other digital format)?

Actually it would be great if the person who mentioned back in December Tomoe River paper could be there so that everyone could try writing on some different paper.

I will bring my favourite paper for this special recipe. My favourite pen stays at home, always as I can't replace it. This thread has received one heck of a lot of attention (over 100 views in the last day) and yet it's only about us half dozen or so geeks at a local pen meet. I wonder why it receives such attention. Maybe it's the goat.

RuiFromUK
March 20th, 2014, 01:52 AM
This thread has received one heck of a lot of attention (over 100 views in the last day) and yet it's only about us half dozen or so geeks at a local pen meet.

Nah, I think the problem is that they believe we are too FP Geeky for them and this geekiness could be contagious.

View from the Loft
March 20th, 2014, 06:02 AM
This thread has received one heck of a lot of attention (over 100 views in the last day) and yet it's only about us half dozen or so geeks at a local pen meet.

Nah, I think the problem is that they believe we are too FP Geeky for them and this geekiness could be contagious.

Us? Geeky?

Blimey, we are as far removed from geeks as it is possible to be. We just enjoy fine pens and inks, with convivial company. What on earth is geeky about that?

RuiFromUK
March 20th, 2014, 06:52 AM

Us? Geeky?

Blimey, we are as far removed from geeks as it is possible to be. We just enjoy fine pens and inks, with convivial company. What on earth is geeky about that?

Tell them, tell them.

Jeph
March 21st, 2014, 02:33 AM
...This thread has received one heck of a lot of attention (over 100 views in the last day) and yet it's only about us half dozen or so geeks at a local pen meet. I wonder why it receives such attention. Maybe it's the goat.

I think it is that most of us don't have a convenient Geek Gathering to attend, and as this one is the most chatty, we are living vicariously through yours. That is my excuse, anyway. And that is also why there should be more pictures!

LunaAzurina
March 23rd, 2014, 12:05 AM
...This thread has received one heck of a lot of attention (over 100 views in the last day) and yet it's only about us half dozen or so geeks at a local pen meet. I wonder why it receives such attention. Maybe it's the goat.

I think it is that most of us don't have a convenient Geek Gathering to attend, and as this one is the most chatty, we are living vicariously through yours. That is my excuse, anyway. And that is also why there should be more pictures!

I like to follow this thread because it is fun. Also, I visited London last fall on business, prior to InCoWRiMo and falling down the fountain pen rabbit-hole. I keep tabs on this thread because if I have the chance to return, it would be fun to meet some of you. Annie, in particular, is a riot. Lastly, I admit to being curious about the goat.

LunaAzurina
March 23rd, 2014, 12:06 AM

Way to call out the lurkers! :wink:

RuiFromUK
March 23rd, 2014, 08:39 AM

Thank you Luna. :D

Since you are in InCoWriMo I have added your details to my small list of people to whom I post postcards whenever I travel if you are happy with it. I do not belong to InCoWriMo because I haven't got much time to do regular letter correspondence but I am more than happy to send some postcards whenever my wife and I travel. Next time we travel will be in April so expect a postcard from Northern Germany after that.

Kind regards,

Rui

LunaAzurina
March 23rd, 2014, 11:09 PM

Thank you Luna. :D

Since you are in InCoWriMo I have added your details to my small list of people to whom I post postcards whenever I travel if you are happy with it. I do not belong to InCoWriMo because I haven't got much time to do regular letter correspondence but I am more than happy to send some postcards whenever my wife and I travel. Next time we travel will be in April so expect a postcard from Northern Germany after that.

Kind regards,

Rui

I would absolutely love that!

Annie
March 24th, 2014, 11:59 AM

I will try to remember to take a camera. What do you want pictures of? Pens (obviously) but us lot getting inky too? Carl photographed the 'goat insemination procedure' and posted it further back in the thread.

Annie
March 24th, 2014, 12:10 PM

I like to follow this thread because it is fun. Also, I visited London last fall on business, prior to InCoWRiMo and falling down the fountain pen rabbit-hole. I keep tabs on this thread because if I have the chance to return, it would be fun to meet some of you. Annie, in particular, is a riot. Lastly, I admit to being curious about the goat.

Everyone is curious about the goat. It really is just a bog standard goat - you know, leg in each corner, daft beard, IQ in single figures. As for riots...I only do that when Oldstoat steals chips off my plate. You would be most welcome to join us when you are next in London.

migo984
April 2nd, 2014, 07:21 AM
Is there going to be a London meet up in April? Thanks

RuiFromUK
April 2nd, 2014, 08:18 AM
Hi Migo on the 12th of April. Are you popping in?

migo984
April 2nd, 2014, 10:52 AM

I hope to. I haven't managed to get to one yet due to other commitments but the 12th looks free so far :)

View from the Loft
April 2nd, 2014, 11:05 AM
Great, we look forward to meeting you.

Annie
April 2nd, 2014, 11:55 AM

I hope to. I haven't managed to get to one yet due to other commitments but the 12th looks free so far :)

Excellent. Another newbie to initiate... :)

migo984
April 2nd, 2014, 01:53 PM

Excellent. Another newbie to initiate... :)

Oooo errr - sounds painful! :blink:

oldstoat
April 3rd, 2014, 03:03 PM
It's not too bad

You just get the gang tattoo with Baystate Blue...

And you have to sacrifice a mod from FPN. We provide the obsidian knife.

RuiFromUK
April 4th, 2014, 12:44 AM
Oldstoat is right, you will also be introduced to the surgical scalpel uses in fountain pen repairs. You will even get introduced to the goat that Annie mentions often enough in this forum.

Just don't forget to bring some of that imported paper that you mentioned back last year.

migo984
April 4th, 2014, 12:58 AM
Oldstoat is right, you will also be introduced to the surgical scalpel uses in fountain pen repairs. You will even get introduced to the goat that Annie mentions often enough in this forum.

Just don't forget to bring some of that imported paper that you mentioned back last year.

I'll bring Tomoe and inky goodies (BungBox, Kingdom Note and L'Artisan Pastellier).......... but only if I'm spared the tattoo and knife!
Mind you, you might not want me there. I kinda like FPN!

oldstoat
April 4th, 2014, 01:39 AM
I'll bring Tomoe and inky goodies (BungBox, Kingdom Note and L'Artisan Pastellier).......... but only if I'm spared the tattoo and knife!

We're not that bad really.

Honest.

We'll put the tattoo where it won't show...

Wile E Coyote
April 4th, 2014, 05:30 AM
We're not that bad really.

Honest.

We'll put the tattoo where it won't show...

Ouch! I'd prefer to have it somewhere less sensitive.

RuiFromUK
April 4th, 2014, 05:36 AM

We are not worried about that. We are not of the jealous type.

Annie
April 5th, 2014, 12:57 AM

That's okay. All welcome no matter what side of the tracks you're from.

DavidDecorator
April 8th, 2014, 01:51 PM
I am going to unveil something at this meeting. Something long and red.

RuiFromUK
April 9th, 2014, 01:03 AM
A red pen, that sounds beautiful to my ears. Looking forward to see it.

Since I am taking with me a bottle of Pelikan Edelstein Ruby Red you might want to fill it with this ink, in case of being a fountain pen of course.

Please let me know in the next 48 hours if there is anything else you would like me to take to the meeting, actually that sounds too formal, initiat... I mean gathering is probably more correct.

oldstoat
April 9th, 2014, 07:49 AM
See you there- I'll bring some Noodler's Black Swan in Australian Roses. Are we meeting at 12 or 1 pm?

RuiFromUK
April 9th, 2014, 08:31 AM
12pm I think. At the crack of dawn for some.

Also I need to leave around 3:30pm to 4pm to meet my wife.

Annie
April 9th, 2014, 10:54 AM

Er... doesn't sound like it requires grinding. :)

Annie
April 9th, 2014, 10:57 AM
See you there- I'll bring some Noodler's Black Swan in Australian Roses. Are we meeting at 12 or 1 pm?

Oh good grief. Try to keep up. Noon, okay? Would be good if you bring that pretty green Waterman.

migo984
April 9th, 2014, 11:46 AM
What's the form for bringing things like inks? Is it bottles or samples vials? And are you meeting upstairs or downstairs?

RuiFromUK
April 9th, 2014, 12:15 PM
What's the form for bringing things like inks? Is it bottles or samples vials? And are you meeting upstairs or downstairs?

In my case I am bringing the bottle and some empty sample vials and a pipette if I remember for whoever would like some of the ink.

This time I do not think I can bring much more, unless there is a desperate need for something I can help with, as from there I am going to meet my wife and then with her and her family we are going to a concert (more about this when we meet LOL).

We are meeting downstairs.

RuiFromUK
April 9th, 2014, 12:18 PM

Er... doesn't sound like it requires grinding. :)

Just do not forget there will be at least one initiation procedure! :bounce:

View from the Loft
April 9th, 2014, 02:02 PM
I'll be bringing some more samples of inks that are looking for new homes

oldstoat
April 9th, 2014, 03:43 PM
Oh good grief. Try to keep up. Noon, okay? Would be good if you bring that pretty green Waterman.

I can probably be up by then...

DavidDecorator
April 10th, 2014, 03:57 PM
A red pen, that sounds beautiful to my ears. Looking forward to see .

I never said it was a pen Rui.

RuiFromUK
April 11th, 2014, 12:27 AM
A red pen, that sounds beautiful to my ears. Looking forward to see .

I never said it was a pen Rui.

That will make it even more interesting! :)

View from the Loft
April 11th, 2014, 12:43 AM
David, are you still looking for samples of greys and blacks?

RuiFromUK
April 11th, 2014, 12:47 AM
David, are you still looking for samples of greys and blacks?

If you are please let us know by the end of the working day as I am more than happy to share a few vials of my latest grey ink acquisition but in this case I am taking whatever is left back home as I have not even had a chance to try it out as it only arrived yesterday.

DavidDecorator
April 11th, 2014, 03:11 AM
Yes I am still looking for samples of Greys or Blacks.

RuiFromUK
April 11th, 2014, 04:19 AM

Great. I'll take another bottle of ink with me to share with you people.

View from the Loft
April 11th, 2014, 05:24 AM

And I'll be looking some out tonight.

DavidDecorator
April 12th, 2014, 03:10 AM
Having packed the bag full of Pens and accoutrements it is now time to cleanse myself and head off to a Hobbit Hole in the Strand. Shame I haven't got any bread in. No bacon sandwich this morning.

View from the Loft
April 12th, 2014, 04:01 AM
I have the pens, inks, paper and kitchen roll in my bag, and even remembered to run back and get by Oyster before the bus arrived. See you all shortly.

oldstoat
April 12th, 2014, 04:24 AM
I have the pens, inks, paper and kitchen roll in my bag, and even remembered to run back and get by Oyster before the bus arrived. See you all shortly.

En route, also with kitchen towel
The deepest darkest pit is booked in my name so it shouldn't be taken over by tourists

oldstoat
April 12th, 2014, 03:37 PM
An aubergine?
I don't remember that.

Jon Szanto
April 12th, 2014, 03:53 PM
I can't tell if that is an ink sample or if the establishment is performing random drug screening tests...

Wile E Coyote
April 12th, 2014, 04:15 PM
It's not the US, therefore; odds are it's an ink sample.

Annie
April 12th, 2014, 04:21 PM
Pregnancy test on the goat. She's having a kid!

Annie
April 12th, 2014, 04:23 PM
An aubergine?
I don't remember that.

I was still thinking about pens when I picked up some vegetables on the way back. Although I like eating them, I especially liked this one because I thought it would be great to find a pen with that kind of finish.

RuiFromUK
April 14th, 2014, 12:48 AM
An aubergine?
I don't remember that.

Me neither.

In my case it must have been the wine or was it all the ink?

RuiFromUK
April 14th, 2014, 12:50 AM
An aubergine?
I don't remember that.

Me neither.

And it must have long term effects as I am still seeing two photos of each one.

Annie
April 14th, 2014, 11:19 AM
An aubergine?
I don't remember that.

Me neither.

And it must have long term effects as I am still seeing two photos of each one.

Oh bugger it. Can you tell that I had two large glasses of wine and then attempted to poke my ipad? I'll try to edit so we are not all seeing double. Rui - how was the gig?

DavidDecorator
April 14th, 2014, 01:57 PM
I had a lovely time on Saturday sat in the half light attempting to consume a massive chicken breast burger, playing with inks and pens. Interesting conversation and surreal shenanigans.
Now I've just finished playing guess the ink sample and labelled all the wonderful ones I was given. I might have got one wrong but does that really matter. I've also managed to see the photos which show the weight I have to lose. All 3.5 stone of it.

oldstoat
April 14th, 2014, 02:28 PM
Well Annie managed to photograph several of my chins so the diet will have to be serious. Next time I'll ask for a small fish and chips. Talking of surreal sheanaigans, I still think the hole in the wall above your head was due to someone bashing theitr head against it in an attempt to get out.

RuiFromUK
April 14th, 2014, 05:26 PM
Definitely it must have been the ink, I mean the wine. I am having terrible heartburn tonight, reason why I am up at midnight. Oh dear.

The gig was great and I enjoyed it very much albeit not having been very heavy 'heavy metal'.

DavidDecorator
April 15th, 2014, 04:37 AM
It's nice to know that there's another Rocker into Fountain Pens.

migo984
April 15th, 2014, 04:49 AM
Hi folks

Saturday was really interesting and it was very nice to meet you all. Wow you all know a lot about pens and own some corkers! My little stonewashed blue Kaweco AL Sport looked a bit pathertic in such august company :wink:

But boy is that Hole dark!! David - you need to bring those brighter light bulbs you mentioned.

I must say I found the goat under the table a bit off-putting though and my Bay State Blue tattoo is really painful still - did you really have to insist I got *that* design?!:shocked:

See you all next time I hope
Marie

ps no comment about the photos but next time I'll insist on you getting a "Permission to Publish" waiver ;-)

RuiFromUK
April 15th, 2014, 04:50 AM
Oh yes. Few of us around.

David please pm me your postal details for me to send you the spare gauge that I have to help choosing the correct size of ink sac.

DavidDecorator
April 15th, 2014, 04:54 AM
Well I'm not sure they'd be much brighter as those fittings only take 40w bulbs but I think there's 25's in there at the moment. The hole above my head is where the landlord......

RuiFromUK
April 15th, 2014, 04:55 AM
Hi folks

Saturday was really interesting and it was very nice to meet you all. Wow you all know a lot about pens and own some corkers! My little stonewashed blue Kaweco AL Sport looked a bit pathertic in such august company :wink:

But boy is that Hole dark!! David - you need to bring those brighter light bulbs you mentioned.

I must say I found the goat under the table a bit off-putting though and my Bay State Blue tattoo is really painful still - did you really have to insist I got *that* design?!:shocked:

See you all next time I hope
Marie

ps no comment about the photos but next time I'll insist on you getting a "Permission to Publish" waiver ;-)

Also thank you for all the paper samples you gave us. Tonight I am going to try mine with a new pen I received yesterday: a vintage wood grained coloured PLATIGNUM lever filler with a very interesting nib.

RuiFromUK
April 15th, 2014, 04:57 AM
Well I'm not sure they'd be much brighter as those fittings only take 40w bulbs but I think there's 25's in there at the moment. The hole above my head is where the landlord......

Anything will help really as I do struggle a bit in looking close at the pen nibs. Reason why I have a magnifier with a light.

DavidDecorator
April 15th, 2014, 08:17 AM
The trouble is that the management might object to that but they'd probably object more to a Halogen Tripod sight light. We'd all need sunblock if I brought one of those.