PDA

View Full Version : Estate sale find

Rapidray
August 10th, 2018, 11:49 PM
I went with my sister to my first estate sale. I found what is a Virginia Metalcrafters ink well. I was hesitant about buying it in till my sister found it and the selling price for that items was enough to jump off the fence and pay their asking price. I will be using it with my dip pens. Not getting back to Orlando untill Tuesday.

although
August 11th, 2018, 12:02 AM
Sweet! All I found at the estate sale that I went to was a fair to middling pad of paper and a dog whistle :)

Chrissy
August 11th, 2018, 02:25 AM
That is very nice. :) I would have also been tempted to buy it. :)

penwash
August 11th, 2018, 10:06 AM
My wife and I love to go to Estate Sales. Most of the time we don't see anything interesting or relevant to post here, but about once or twice in a year we see things like this:

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/933/43932041082_fa97b850e0_c.jpg

This is a vintage (probably around 1950's) Nieman Marcus writing station (or deskpad) that looks cool and there is a marking that says "Handmade in Italy".
I'll be bringing this to the Dallas Pen Show and set it up on my table, we'll see if anybody here in Dallas can tell me more about it (Nieman Marcus is from Dallas).

By the way, that desk pen is not a bad pen either, it's a Parker 51 Special :)

FredRydr
August 11th, 2018, 03:21 PM
I like having items like this around, and I have more inkwells, rocker blotters, desk sets and the like out where they can be seen than pens themselves.

A plug: if you're looking for desk items and other such cool stuff, check out our own jbb's etsy webpage (https://www.etsy.com/shop/JBBPensPaper).

BamaPen
August 18th, 2018, 06:40 AM
I agree with FredRydr that many desk items are attractive and fun. I found this Bradley & Hubbard desk set and added matching pieces until I had the whole thing. There is a set like this in the Smithsonian collection, so I used it as a guide to the pieces. Since parts were quite tarnished, I took them to a local musical instrument shop and had them cleaned and a new coat of varnish applied. I think that these look like new. Bradley & Hubbard also offered similar pieces in a sort of oiled bronze finish. Here's the restored set:
https://cigarboxpenstorage.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/bradley-hubbard-desk-set-with-letter-holder.jpg?w=686&h=

Deb
August 18th, 2018, 07:49 AM
Your desk set looks wonderful.

Rapidray
August 18th, 2018, 11:14 AM
Those are some very nice desk sets! Thanks for sharing them.

Eddie Southgate
November 30th, 2018, 04:12 PM
I went with my sister to my first estate sale. I found what is a Virginia Metalcrafters ink well. I was hesitant about buying it in till my sister found it and the selling price for that items was enough to jump off the fence and pay their asking price. I will be using it with my dip pens. Not getting back to Orlando untill Tuesday.

Beautiful at any price but a steal at that one . Congratulations .

Eddie

VertOlive
November 30th, 2018, 10:41 PM
Very nice, enjoy!