PDA

View Full Version : Krone Old School Fountain Pen

Northern Gentleman
May 14th, 2013, 06:08 PM
I came across a listing on eBay for a yellow Krone Old School pen - the asking price is $150:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/121108099041?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2648

The pen has a pretty simple design, which appeals to me, although I'm wondering if it may look a bit too "plastic". Maybe the photograph doesn't do the pen justice. Does anyone have any experience with these pens? Are they smooth writers? Are they worth the money?

Laura N
May 14th, 2013, 09:13 PM
My general advice is never go for a BIN unless you know the price something should be. And general advice is all I am good for, since I don't know this pen. :) But considering some other pens one could buy for $150, I wouldn't really be tempted here, personally.

If you are a fan of this brand or this model, however, he's a reputable seller from what I've seen, and you could ask him some questions. He might eventually put it up for auction or drop the price.

KrazyIvan
May 15th, 2013, 10:05 AM
I don't know that pen but I know the seller and if he has a BIN, it is probably right around what the pen is worth. Most of his sales are not BIN. The only thing is he does not clean out the pens if they are used.

Northern Gentleman
May 15th, 2013, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the words of widom. I think I'll hold off for now.

Northern Gentleman
May 15th, 2013, 12:59 PM
Make that "wisdom"!

caribbean_skye
May 15th, 2013, 01:19 PM
Erm, what is BIN? Thanks.

KrazyIvan
May 15th, 2013, 01:21 PM
BIN = Buy it Now. Sorry, Maybe I am too comfortable with eBay speak. :shocked::redface:

caribbean_skye
May 15th, 2013, 01:23 PM
Ahhh, here I was thinking it was a FP term. Hah! I try and avoid eBay as there's always something there that tempts me. Must avoid temptation.

Thanks KI.

LocoBurns
June 1st, 2013, 02:03 AM
Tempted eBay purchase lands you in trouble. Learned this the hard way. Really, if you can't control yourself then may be you will also not be able to control your anger also. eBay items must always be given second thoughts. About the $150 pen, it still looks fishy.

Northern Gentleman
October 31st, 2017, 02:15 PM
By way of "and what ever happened...", in the end I didn't buy the Krone Old School pen. But I wish I had. The pen was simple looking and practical, with a nice nib. The little I was able to find out about that Krone model was all positive. I haven't seen one up for sale since then. Another one of those "I should have..." moments along my fountain pen collection journey. Oh well, a lesson learned.

catbert
November 1st, 2017, 08:33 PM
By way of "and what ever happened...", in the end I didn't buy the Krone Old School pen. But I wish I had. The pen was simple looking and practical, with a nice nib. The little I was able to find out about that Krone model was all positive. I haven't seen one up for sale since then. Another one of those "I should have..." moments along my fountain pen collection journey. Oh well, a lesson learned.

Thanks for the update and a useful lesson. Sometimes things speak to us but others are not enthused. You do you.

Also, 'buy it now' doesn't necessarily mean overpriced. I've seen some relisted as auctions sell for more than the previous asking price. I rarely remember what I paid for the pens that make me happy. My mistakes are another story.

aggoo
November 5th, 2017, 11:01 PM
What was the old school pen? That original link no longer has images.
Was it one of the mini 4.5" button fillers like the Metaphor etc? I have 2 of them at the moment - a blue/yellow marbled one and a plain ivory one. They seem well built but the sacs need replacing. The nibs are soft and very wet, and one mine at least run much wider than indicated. If you still want one, let me know - I don't need both.