PDA

View Full Version : Kenedy Space Center News

Tracy Lee
May 14th, 2013, 06:38 PM
Hi all, hate to pass up a chance to share a picture of Space Shuttle Atlantis’ payload bay doors fully opened as it is being prepared for display in the “Space Shuttle Atlantis” exhibit, a 90,000-square-foot facility, scheduled to open June 29, 2013. Mark your calendars! :-) I decided that while this is off topic, it is pen related. Astronauts do use space pens and pencils, after all. Maybe not fountain pens, but . . .

inky
May 14th, 2013, 06:44 PM
That is so cool! Thanks for sharing! I always wanted to see one of these blast off. They are sure amazing craft!

GourmetPens
May 14th, 2013, 09:32 PM
Cooooool! I totally bought a space pen just so I could pretend to be cool.

Tracy Lee
May 15th, 2013, 05:15 AM
Ours will be the only one displayed as if in full flight. Platforms around the top will let you see it from the top, and because it is suspended on poles, you will be able to walk under as well. We are all quite excited for it to open, while feeling bittersweet about a vehicle we just saw fly not ago, now a museum piece. There are mock solid rocket boosters set up just outside of the building, too. Those went up just a week or so ago. And, Inky, it was an amazing program and seeing them launch and land was breathtaking every single time. :)

KrazyIvan
May 15th, 2013, 08:29 AM
That is just so cool and sad at the same time.

Tracy Lee
May 15th, 2013, 04:43 PM
That is just so cool and sad at the same time.

Did you see the news that JSC in Houston is keeping one of the 747 shuttle carrier aircraft (SCA)? They are building a display at the visitor center that will have the shuttle mock up on top of it, and a walk up gantry to get you up and in the 747 (almost empty inside, it's a neat thing to see). Says that will open maybe in another year and a half?

Carole
May 16th, 2013, 01:11 AM
Fantastic picture! I haven't yet gone over to the Science Center to see " Endeavour" but it's a really popular exhibit here-- in part because we all saw the shuttle flying low altitude overhead before landing. Quite an event! Can't wait to hear about the Atlantis exhibit!

Storm Cat
May 16th, 2013, 02:06 PM
That's a great photo. Thanks for posting it. I was at Merritt Island Refuge in January and saw the space center from one of the roadways nearby. I hope the next trip down we'll have more time to see the center.

It is sad to see the program end. There should have been a follow-up to it.

Tracy Lee
May 16th, 2013, 03:36 PM
That's a great photo. Thanks for posting it. I was at Merritt Island Refuge in January and saw the space center from one of the roadways nearby. I hope the next trip down we'll have more time to see the center.

It is sad to see the program end. There should have been a follow-up to it.

We are working on the next program, known as SLS or Space Launch System. First launch should be in late 2017. The rocket is as big or bigger than the Saturn V we used for getting to the moon! :-)