PDA

View Full Version : Esterbrook Estie

catbert
August 26th, 2018, 12:27 AM
Pen Boy Roy has a pre-release review of the Kenro Esterbrooks. Seems there will be an optional spare section to fit vintage nibs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNrPMrzh25s

Scrawler
August 26th, 2018, 01:15 PM
The 200 Million claim is believable because at that time "pen" referred to what we call a "nib" now.

penwash
August 26th, 2018, 02:02 PM
It doesn't look like an Esterbrook (any model).
It looks more like a Sheaffer Balance wannabe.

I'm sorry, when will these modern manufacturers learn to actually and faithfully make a modern version of a tried and true formula?

dapprman
August 26th, 2018, 05:13 PM

I'm sorry, when will these modern manufacturers learn to actually and faithfully make a modern version of a tried and true formula?
The Conway Stewarts by BBS are faithful updates, as are the pens of ONOTO ;) - I believe (but happy to be corrected) that the Conklin crescent filler is also a good modernisation of the original.

With Esterbrook I think the problem is their popularity is really due to the nibs and the ability to swap them, along with the modern pen enthusiast fixation with flex. As a whole their pens were dated work horse models that at the time were uninspiring. Should add, before you think I'm anti-Estie I have a J with a 9128 nib and a M2 with a 3312 (the latter I also replaced the sac on).

Kaputnik
August 26th, 2018, 05:28 PM

I agree, but even if it had more of the appearance of a J or Dollar Pen, I doubt that I would want one, with my nice selection of real Js, SJs, an LJ, and a couple of Dollar Pens.

The reviewer's repeated statement that this modern pen, with the Esterbrook name slapped on it, shares the "DNA" of the classic brand is essentially meaningless. Doesn't mean that it will turn out to be a bad pen on its own merits, of course. We'll see, at least if anyone around here buys one. Won't be me.

I'll concede one minor point, though. The adapter for vintage Esterbrook nibs might be good for people who want to try out some of the classic nibs without dealing with the restoration of old lever fillers. I don't know how many people that would be. I enjoyed doing sac replacements (and replacing a couple of J-bars) in mine, and I have a pretty wide variety of nibs, some of which are quite nice to write with. But if I were not into vintage pens in general, I don't know that I'd be that tempted. And I do have other nibs, both vintage and modern, which I prefer.

Robert
August 26th, 2018, 06:32 PM
Frankly, I don't know what the owners of the Esterbrook brand think they're bringing to the table with these new pens. A great big YAWN, imho.

catbert
August 26th, 2018, 06:59 PM

Why do you think I didn't post in the Esterbrook forum? :)

On the plus side, you get the generic functionality of modern replaceable nib units in a c/c body. (The option to use vintage nib units is a nice idea.)

The downside is they look generically 'vintagey'. I'd like to see a modern evolution that references aspects of the originals — a clip shape, a cap jewel, something. Car makers do a better job of evoking their heritage while staying current. Brand identity is more than just a logo.

These pens are not for me, but they're arguably closer in spirit to the brand than the efforts by the previous owner, even if the pricing isn't.

penwash
August 26th, 2018, 08:39 PM

On the plus side, you get the generic functionality of modern replaceable nib units in a c/c body. (The option to use vintage nib units is a nice idea.)

The downside is they look generically 'vintagey'. I'd like to see a modern evolution that references aspects of the originals — a clip shape, a cap jewel, something. Car makers do a better job of evoking their heritage while staying current. Brand identity is more than just a logo.

These pens are not for me, but they're arguably closer in spirit to the brand than the efforts by the previous owner, even if the pricing isn't.

Don't get me wrong, I am grateful for your post, otherwise I wouldn't have known about this preview since I watch zero pen video reviews nowadays. :)

You are absolutely right about the car industry analogy, that it is cool to have references to the originals, which could be obvious, subtle or creative.

But this pen is just ... uninspired. It features nothing that differentiate it from any other "vintage-inspired" C/C filler with generic JoWo nib unit. The least it could do is to engrave the brand on the barrel just like the original, but no, they had to opt for the quasi- Japan pens from the 1970's style of putting brand near the cap lip (see vintage Pilot Elite).

catbert
August 26th, 2018, 09:00 PM

Don't get me wrong, I am grateful for your post, otherwise I wouldn't have known about this preview since I watch zero pen video reviews nowadays. :)

You are absolutely right about the car industry analogy, that it is cool to have references to the originals, which could be obvious, subtle or creative.

But this pen is just ... uninspired. It features nothing that differentiate it from any other "vintage-inspired" C/C filler with generic JoWo nib unit. The least it could do is to engrave the brand on the barrel just like the original, but no, they had to opt for the quasi- Japan pens from the 1970's style of putting brand near the cap lip (see vintage Pilot Elite).

Yup, as I said — generic.

And in many ways not an Esterbrook yet, despite the label.

I can see they've put themselves in a difficult spot, trying to simultaneously evoke the past (that's the mistake, I think), appeal to a current generation, and stand out from a host of swirly acrylic c/c pens with size 6 nibs.

calamus
August 26th, 2018, 09:47 PM
Testing the vintage waters by buying a $200 pen plus a $40 adapter plus a $15 nib seems idiotic when you can test out the vintage waters by picking up a real Esterbrook for about $35 on eBay. That said, I think the pen itself looks purty, but I can't see spending $200 on one. I'd be surprised if these guys are still in business 2 or 3 years from now.

Kaputnik
August 27th, 2018, 07:13 AM
Testing the vintage waters by buying a $200 pen plus a $40 adapter plus a $15 nib seems idiotic when you can test out the vintage waters by picking up a real Esterbrook for about $35 on eBay. That said, I think the pen itself looks purty, but I can't see spending $200 on one. I'd be surprised if these guys are still in business 2 or 3 years from now.

I didn't notice a part of the video where it mentioned a price, but then, I find this fellow irritating and hard to listen to, and may have skipped over something. I was assuming a pen like this would go for maybe $40 to $50 with the adapter included.

Okay, I found the part of the video where he mentioned price. Did I mention that I find him hard to listen to? Okay, I remove my minor concession. Slapping the Esterbrook name on a very ordinary modern pen doesn't justify that.

catbert
August 27th, 2018, 07:59 AM

I didn't notice a part of the video where it mentioned a price, but then, I find this fellow irritating and hard to listen to, and may have skipped over something. I was assuming a pen like this would go for maybe $40 to $50 with the adapter included.

Okay, I found the part of the video where he mentioned price. Did I mention that I find him hard to listen to? Okay, I remove my minor concession. Slapping the Esterbrook name on a very ordinary modern pen doesn't justify that.

Not a fan of his style either. Prices are mentioned around the 10:26 mark.

Scrawler
August 27th, 2018, 11:28 AM
I have a significant number of Esterbrook pens made between about 1940 and 1955. The big mistake that Esterbrook made was to make their pens too robust, attractive and plentiful. The ease of interchangeability of nibs is a major factor in their usability. Given the numbers that have survived in excellent working condition, I can see no reason to buy what is effectively an acrylic Chinese pen. Perhaps I am a minority, but I am not in the market for just a name.

Deb
August 27th, 2018, 12:57 PM
I have a significant number of Esterbrook pens made between about 1940 and 1955. The big mistake that Esterbrook made was to make their pens too robust, attractive and plentiful. The ease of interchangeability of nibs is a major factor in their usability. Given the numbers that have survived in excellent working condition, I can see no reason to buy what is effectively an acrylic Chinese pen. Perhaps I am a minority, but I am not in the market for just a name.

I couldn't agree more.

azkid
August 27th, 2018, 04:16 PM
I was entertaining the notion of getting one, despite the various objections listed above, until someone mentioned $200, evoking a shocked "hell no" from me. :D I need to push my eyeballs back into their sockets now...

I'll stick to my old Estie J's thanks.

although
August 28th, 2018, 06:55 AM
[QUOTE=calamus;247187] ....I find this fellow irritating and hard to listen to, ....

The pen seems fine. I think the whole Esterbrook story has taken a turn for the better with the new owners.

Also, I have to say, I really enjoy PenBoyRoy's style. Fresh, flashy, a little irreverent, a little self deprecating. I love his humor, and I really like reading the things he writes in his writing samples when his voice-over is saying something completely different. It's a nice break from the usual fare. Of course, I also like SBRE Brown and Waski Squirrel. They also aren't afraid to show a little personality. Give Roy another chance. You gotta admit, his fancy graphics are really next level :)

Cheers!

jacksterp
August 30th, 2018, 04:28 AM
Very difficult style of review - brash and grating - and that's being generous.

Regardless, the pricing for theses 'Esties' is comical. Pilot Falcon, Sailor 1911, Pilot CH92, Platinum 3776, Lamy 2K, Pelican m200 and many others come in well under $200 - some under $100. Add that to the fact that the design is uninspiring makes this a 'not even slightly interested' option for me.

Talk about missing the mark...

calamus
August 31st, 2018, 08:26 PM
If resurrected faux vintage is your cup of tea, you can get a very attractive Conklin Duragraph for $52 on Goulet Pens, with a #6 Bock nib. You could buy four of them for the price of one "Estie."

https://fromthepencup.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/p1050703.jpg

ethernautrix
September 1st, 2018, 02:55 AM
[QUOTE=calamus;247187] ....I find this fellow irritating and hard to listen to, ....

The pen seems fine. I think the whole Esterbrook story has taken a turn for the better with the new owners.

Also, I have to say, I really enjoy PenBoyRoy's style. Fresh, flashy, a little irreverent, a little self deprecating. I love his humor, and I really like reading the things he writes in his writing samples when his voice-over is saying something completely different. It's a nice break from the usual fare. Of course, I also like SBRE Brown and Waski Squirrel. They also aren't afraid to show a little personality. Give Roy another chance. You gotta admit, his fancy graphics are really next level :)

Cheers!

PenBoyRoy is my favorite pen reviewer. I enjoy Waski and SBRE, et al, but I love PBR's sense of humor.

southpaw52
September 1st, 2018, 12:47 PM
Initially, I was excited about Kenro taking over Esterbrook. Being a big a fan of vintage Esterbrooks. These pens areseverely overpriced considering what else is available at that price point. Kenro has missed the mark on these.

calamus
September 1st, 2018, 03:37 PM

Cheers!

PenBoyRoy is my favorite pen reviewer. I enjoy Waski and SBRE, et al, but I love PBR's sense of humor.

There's been an error in editing the html tags. If you check earlier in the thread, before the post I'm quoting, you'll find it was Kaputnik who found the reviewer irritating, not me. The quote attributed to me was not mine; I never mentioned Pen Boy Roy. But since enquiring minds want to know, allow me to reveal that I find him simultaneously mildly amusing and mildly annoying.

catbert
September 5th, 2018, 02:21 PM
Brian Anderson's take.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ynlh0JaVmYI

calamus
September 10th, 2018, 10:12 AM
Brian makes the Estie sound like a steal at a mere $200. Go figger. I don't think that Roy's brash style is winning many converts. And I find it disturbing that I'm so easily swayed by presentation.
The main problem for me is that I can't afford to spend $200 -- or $600, or $900, or more -- on a pen. I could swing $200, maybe, for the Holy Grail of pens, if I could find it for that, but as enticing as Brian makes the Estie sound, I don't think I'd hear angels singing if I ever saw one in the flesh... errr, resin.

Jon Szanto
September 10th, 2018, 11:16 AM
I wanted to be positive about the latest homage to Esterbrook, but they have placed the pen in a very crowded price-point area. Lots of pens at that strata, including the recent flood of well-made Chinese offerings. Taken just as is, the pen is nice but nothing remarkable when compared on the market. My biggest disappointment is that while the pen supposedly will sell at the discounted price of $156 (or so), simply adding the section that threads in for original Estie nib use increases the price by $40. For a simply piece of machined plastic I honestly believe they missed a golden opportunity. When it must only cost pennies to create and include in the package, they could pull in a lot of people who love those old nibs and would like to use them with a converter. Would *I* pay $200 for a modern pen just to use those nibs? No, I wouldn't.

Time will tell. The marketing may be a hit with a 'new' (i.e. young) market but I have my doubts at their chosen MSRP.

Kaputnik
September 10th, 2018, 02:10 PM
Brian makes the Estie sound like a steal at a mere $200. Go figger. I don't think that Roy's brash style is winning many converts. And I find it disturbing that I'm so easily swayed by presentation.
The main problem for me is that I can't afford to spend $200 -- or $600, or $900, or more -- on a pen. I could swing $200, maybe, for the Holy Grail of pens, if I could find it for that, but as enticing as Brian makes the Estie sound, I don't think I'd hear angels singing if I ever saw one in the flesh... errr, resin.

The calmer, more matter of fact presentation does make a more persuasive sales pitch, and I don't forget that it is part sales pitch. Brian Anderson, unlike the other fellow, will actually be selling these. But of course, one could say that he will be selling them because he believes in the product, and I've never had any qualms about buying from him in general. His review does answer most of the questions one might have about the pen itself. And it shows the vintage nib converter, so that's a bit more information, regardless of whether it's worth the extra $40 that they want for it.

It's still not persuasive to me, as I think the Esterbrook name is being used to justify a higher price than this pen would otherwise go for. But that point has already been made, and it will be interesting to see if people do buy these. Goulet's is also advertising them for October, $156 for the smaller one, $200 for the larger. Not for me, thanks.

By the way, this may seem hopelessly old-fashioned, but in general I don't like sitting through these video reviews. I think the same information would be much more palatable in written form, with a few still photographs where necessary. Some repair instructions benefit from video demonstrations, but there was nothing in these reviews that required that. One would think that pen people would prefer reading a review to watching it. But evidently, one would be wrong.:noidea:

dapprman
September 10th, 2018, 03:18 PM
PenBoyRoy has purposely chosen a style different to the other reviewers (and took advice from David 'Figboot' Parsons). I like his reviews though I can understand why some people would not. On Brian Anderson, I think he's in a very difficult position. On the one hand he runs the main Estie info website, on the other one of his suppliers, Kenro, have asked/told him to sell a pen and as aresult he can't say anything bad about it - it's the same situation Brian Goulet finds himself in (and any other retailer out there).

My personal views - it's missed the brief by a long shot. Forget about being able to use the old nibs - it's a nice touch, but the core product is flawed. I've no problem with it being generic, after all only the most hardcore of Estie fans could deny the originals had the same failing. The problem for me is the price. Esterbrook were late to the fountain pen show, but they made and sold cheap, reliable, rugged, work horse pens that have proved themselves over time. For me for the Esterbrook Estie to have the same cache it would need to be in the $50-80 range, not $200.

My 2p

Jon Szanto
September 10th, 2018, 03:42 PM
By the way, this may seem hopelessly old-fashioned, but in general I don't like sitting through these video reviews. I think the same information would be much more palatable in written form, with a few still photographs where necessary. Some repair instructions benefit from video demonstrations, but there was nothing in these reviews that required that. One would think that pen people would prefer reading a review to watching it. But evidently, one would be wrong.:noidea:

I can't do anything but agree with you. My time is valuable and most of the reviewers on video are amateurish at best. I won't sit through shit like that UNLESS they have some drop-dead great info, and that is rarely the case. It's all just opinionating and garnering fans and being a pencelebrity. The worst part is there is no true way to skim through a video review as you can with a written review (I'm a fast reader).

Not my style, inefficient in delivery and rarely well done. They certainly are poplular with a percentage of people, though, so they are here to stay.

catbert
September 10th, 2018, 04:45 PM
On Brian Anderson, I think he's in a very difficult position. On the one hand he runs the main Estie info website, on the other one of his suppliers, Kenro, have asked/told him to sell a pen and as aresult he can't say anything bad about it - it's the same situation Brian Goulet finds himself in (and any other retailer out there).

Indeed. And I see Pen Boy Roy is sponsored now.

More from the Andersons around 5:50 in this (roughly a 6-minute segment). Perhaps I read too much into that sigh at the beginning:

https://youtu.be/x3qhFekppJA?list=PLFvdhcu7xScgsOskryoBlHz3xho_E1q0 n&t=350

Tried to embed at the relevant timecode. Didn't seem to work.

catbert
September 10th, 2018, 04:52 PM

I can't do anything but agree with you. My time is valuable and most of the reviewers on video are amateurish at best. I won't sit through shit like that UNLESS they have some drop-dead great info, and that is rarely the case. It's all just opinionating and garnering fans and being a pencelebrity. The worst part is there is no true way to skim through a video review as you can with a written review (I'm a fast reader).

Not my style, inefficient in delivery and rarely well done. They certainly are poplular with a percentage of people, though, so they are here to stay.

I’d much rather read if the writing is good.

On YouTube I skip intros, use thumbnails to fast-forward, and treat long videos as radio. It all depends on the delivery and ratio of content to self-indulgent waffle.

whichwatch
September 10th, 2018, 04:54 PM
This is the first time I've seen a review by Roy Boy and I rather enjoyed his fast moving style. I'm not sure how his style will stand the test of time with me, but I enjoyed my first experience. As for the Estie, the only word that comes to mind is "meh".

I am surprised that a company and people that make livings based on marketing have fallen into the trap of introducing a product that is basically a "me too" that offers little of advantage compared to well established competitors.

If I want to use Esterbrook nibs, original Esties are readily available at a fraction of the price.

If I want good looking cartridge converter pens with a wider array of models and materials in a similar price range, I can choose from Franklin Christoph, Edison, Jonathan Brooks, and others. Quite honestly, I would prefer to support any of those companies.

If I consider other pens where a street price or a lightly used pen is available at a comparable price, Platinum 3776 or several Sailor lines offer gold nibs.

If the Estie offers anything different, I suppose one could argue that with the adapter it does provide the ability to use vintage Esterbrook nibs with the convenience of a cartridge converter filling system. Personally, that is not of much interest to me and if the marketers felt it was an important differentiating factor I think it should have been a standard feature, not an extra cost option. But then, that would have led to less favorable financial comparisons with the competition.

I'll stop by Kenro's table at the next show to say hello to Brian, Ryan, and Kerry, but I don't think I'll be greeting any Esties.

FredRydr
September 10th, 2018, 07:10 PM
...pencelebrity....

The Kardashian wannabes of pendom?

Jon Szanto
September 10th, 2018, 07:17 PM
...pencelebrity....

The Kardashian wannabes of pendom?

Lower tier. More in line with Instagram stars. But you have the right idea.

Farmboy
September 10th, 2018, 10:15 PM
Did anyone look at the box?

catbert
September 10th, 2018, 10:57 PM

Even nicer than the first reboot, according to Brian (around 12:57 in video above).

Jon Szanto
September 11th, 2018, 12:24 AM

A few.

azkid
September 11th, 2018, 08:56 AM
I’d much rather read if the writing is good.

On YouTube I skip intros, use thumbnails to fast-forward, and treat long videos as radio. It all depends on the delivery and ratio of content to self-indulgent waffle.

I feel you. On the other hand, how-to videos showing & narrating steps transfers knowledge more efficiently than trying to describe steps in words and stills.

With a written blog, one could use short video clips to show writing, ink, and nib behavior.

My advice to all vloggers: don't wing it, script it and practice it. That's the only way for the vast majority of speakers to talk fluidly and engagingly.

Oh, and get to the damn point immediately. If you need a ten minute video to monetize then do multiple review segments per episode, don't goof around for 8 minutes then do a 2 minute review.

Kudos to anyone willing to go thru the massive amount of effort to do a vlog.

calamus
September 11th, 2018, 09:42 AM
Not to beat dead horse, but, yeah.

calamus
September 13th, 2018, 10:56 AM
Does anybody know where these resurrected "Esties" are being manufactured? If in the US, that might account for the price point being on the high side.

catbert
September 14th, 2018, 01:54 AM
Does anybody know where these resurrected "Esties" are being manufactured? If in the US, that might account for the price point being on the high side.

Taiwan.

gbryal
September 14th, 2018, 03:37 AM
I kind of like it. It wouldn't be the most expensive JoWo holder I'd bought, though I feel better buying something from Edison or Bexley; seems more personal. And for cheaper you can get a Rosetta Coronado if you just like the nib. And the pen police wouldn't come and take away my vintage Esterbrooks just because I bought a modern pen with the same name.

The video seems fine, but I like pen videos. I prefer reference and instructional information in text with pictures, and like reading text reviews also, but videos are fine. I fast forward them more now than I did the first 100 or so I watched, but still watch them; they aren't just informational, they are a moment of shared humanity also.

I haven't committed to buying one but I'll keep an eye on it.

carlos.q
September 14th, 2018, 04:18 AM
Here is a thought: maybe the MV adapter can be used with other pens that use Jowo nib units... This would mean that for the price of the $40 adapter you could use your vintage Esterbrook nibs with many other pens.

What do you think? :rain:

catbert
September 14th, 2018, 04:30 AM
Here is a thought: maybe the MV adapter can be used with other pens that use Jowo nib units... This would mean that for the price of the $40 adapter you could use your vintage Esterbrook nibs with many other pens.

Interesting idea.

Empty_of_Clouds
September 14th, 2018, 05:13 AM
It is indeed an interesting idea, but based on my own sampling of quite a few original Esterbrook nibs I can't see it being of appeal. I don't think any of the vintage Esterbrook nibs are that good. Adequate, yes. Still, an interesting idea, nonetheless.

catbert
September 14th, 2018, 07:05 AM
It is indeed an interesting idea, but based on my own sampling of quite a few original Esterbrook nibs I can't see it being of appeal. I don't think any of the vintage Esterbrook nibs are that good. Adequate, yes. Still, an interesting idea, nonetheless.

I can see it appealing to people who prefer bigger pens, dislike lever fillers, and are curious about the range of Esterbrook nibs compared to what you get in a standard no. 6.

I enjoy my J and LJ, and a range of interesting 9xxx nibs, but sometimes it's fun to put those nibs in a slightly larger Rapidograph body with a piston filler.

Kaputnik
September 14th, 2018, 07:18 AM

I can see it appealing to people who prefer bigger pens, dislike lever fillers, and are curious about the range of Esterbrook nibs compared to what you get in a standard no. 6.

I enjoy my J and LJ, and a range of interesting 9xxx nibs, but sometimes it's fun to put those nibs in a slightly larger Rapidograph body with a piston filler.

Interesting. I don't have any Rapidographs, but didn't know you could do that.

I like slim pens, preferring the SJ to the J, but for those who don't want to deal with lever fillers, M2s are not hard to find. Built in squeeze filler, still Esterbrook quality.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1892/30804672138_910c406e01_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/NW6ZNS)[/url] [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/77103607@N00/] (https://flic.kr/p/NW6ZNS)

catbert
September 14th, 2018, 07:28 AM
Interesting. I don't have any Rapidographs, but didn't know you could do that.

I like slim pens, preferring the SJ to the J, but for those who don't want to deal with lever fillers, M2s are not hard to find. Built in squeeze filler, still Esterbrook quality.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1892/30804672138_910c406e01_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/NW6ZNS)[/url] [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/77103607@N00/] (https://flic.kr/p/NW6ZNS)

The limiting factor with Esterbrook nibs in the Rapidograph has been that longer-tined nibs (the flexy ones, for example) feel like they're scraping the inside of the cap. A stubbier (in both senses) 9668 is a good fit.

I go back and forth whether I prefer the J or LJ (don't have an SJ) in hand.

Good point about the M2, though I get the impression that sac fillers of any kind are off-putting to some.

azkid
September 14th, 2018, 10:16 AM
I suppose there is a lot to be said for cartridges.

I am guessing the Esterbrook cartridge pens (CX-100, ...?) use proprietary cartridges that no other cartridge fits?

catbert
September 14th, 2018, 04:09 PM
I suppose there is a lot to be said for cartridges.

I am guessing the Esterbrook cartridge pens (CX-100, ...?) use proprietary cartridges that no other cartridge fits?

I believe so, though I recall hacks involving other brand cartridges.

Jon Szanto
September 14th, 2018, 06:14 PM

Um... I think there is some erroneous thinking here. I'm pretty certain, from watching the vid, that the adapter has to thread into the barrel, not into where the section would take a Jowo threaded unit. The section that comes with the pen must be threaded into the barrel as well. The only way you could use the adapter is if you cut off the end of a barrel and put thread *inside* to accept the adapter.

carlos.q
September 14th, 2018, 08:43 PM

Um... I think there is some erroneous thinking here. I'm pretty certain, from watching the vid, that the adapter has to thread into the barrel, not into where the section would take a Jowo threaded unit. The section that comes with the pen must be threaded into the barrel as well. The only way you could use the adapter is if you cut off the end of a barrel and put thread *inside* to accept the adapter.

Curses... Foiled again!

However this could be a nice project for an amateur pen turner. :wink:

catbert
September 14th, 2018, 09:11 PM

Curses... Foiled again!

However this could be a nice project for an amateur pen turner. :wink:

Assumed you meant find an existing pen with barrel threads that match the MV section. Might still be possible.

Jon Szanto
September 14th, 2018, 09:14 PM
Assumed you meant find an existing pen with barrel threads that match the MV section. Might still be possible.

I may buy one of the 'sections' to see if it fits any contemporary pens I have (or friends have). Next step would be to get one of the pen-turners - or any good craftsman - to check the thread pitch on it.

catbert
September 14th, 2018, 09:22 PM

I may buy one of the 'sections' to see if it fits any contemporary pens I have (or friends have). Next step would be to get one of the pen-turners - or any good craftsman - to check the thread pitch on it.

Would be useful to compile a list of pens that fit (if any).

Jon Szanto
September 14th, 2018, 09:36 PM

Would be useful to compile a list of pens that fit (if any).

Hehe, I'm not going to hold my breath for success - that would just be too easy. I'll certainly post results when/if the time comes.

catbert
September 14th, 2018, 09:49 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao4gKsFpqys

Old Man
September 18th, 2018, 10:02 AM
They did.....It uses a nib, draws in ink, and has a cap that posts.....What more is it that you see that is lacking.....

Jon Szanto
September 18th, 2018, 10:12 AM
They did.....It uses a nib, draws in ink, and has a cap that posts.....What more is it that you see that is lacking.....

What it is lacking is any visual connection to an original Esterbrook. ANY model Esterbrook. If someone wants to market a generic pen, fine, but if they appropriate a name from a venerated brand AND they trade off that name in their marketing, one would expect even the slightest nod to it's lineage.

KKay
September 23rd, 2018, 10:12 PM
I like the acrylic, and the cap spring. I prefer caps with rings though, like my LJ has. The price though was a big surprise, and not a good one. I would prefer a Sailor that has a gold nib, and it is wonderful. (If I was looking at a similar priced pen.) I doubt seriously that I would purchase the Estie. I love the vintage ones though. This new Estie may drive up the price of the old vintage nibs, and that is disappointing. Now if they remade some of the Dollar Pens, I'd love that.

As far as Pen Boy Roy, I like his reviews overall. His channel is different, no doubt about it.

catbert
September 24th, 2018, 03:55 AM

What it is lacking is any visual connection to an original Esterbrook. ANY model Esterbrook. If someone wants to market a generic pen, fine, but if they appropriate a name from a venerated brand AND they trade off that name in their marketing, one would expect even the slightest nod to it's lineage.

Car makers have made new versions of old classics while still evoking their lineage. Think Mini, VW Beetle, Fiat 500. It can be done.

https://cdn.bmwblog.com/wp-content/uploads/minioldnew.jpg (https://www.bmwblog.com/2014/08/28/good-things-small-packages-new-mini-vs-old/)

https://s3.caradvice.com.au/thumb/3000/1500/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/2017-volkswagen-beetle-old-v-new-2.jpg (https://www.caradvice.com.au/530978/volkswagen-beetle-old-v-new-1965-v-2017/photos/)

http://imagesvc.timeincapp.com/v3/foundry/image/?q=70&w=1920&url=http%3A%2F%2Fd254andzyoxz3f.cloudfront.net%2Fi mg_1896hero.jpg (http://www.thedrive.com/new-cars/2674/2016-fiat-500-vs-1972-fiat-500l)

And, unlike, car makers, pen makers are not constrained by safety tests and fuel efficiency requirements. (It might be argued that modern pens have lower ink efficiency requirements, but maybe that's a different thread.)