PDA

View Full Version : New PM inbox?

KrazyIvan
May 15th, 2013, 01:29 PM
I am unable to delete individual PM's or maybe I am missing where it went since the changes. I like the thread layout but I can only choose to dump all my PM's. The old setup let us select individual PM's to delete.

fountainpenkid
May 15th, 2013, 01:56 PM
Hmmm... I love the new p.m box thing but that is a problem.

Laura N
May 15th, 2013, 02:59 PM
I deleted my entire inbox by mistake. My fault for clicking before looking. On the other hand, the new pm interface looks great.

inky
May 15th, 2013, 03:24 PM
Yeah I searched around for a bit but couldn't find an option to delete single ones either. Glad it wasn't just me though!

jar
May 15th, 2013, 04:33 PM
Fortunately I never have any messages worth saving.

cwent2
May 15th, 2013, 07:51 PM
You go to the folder picker - pick the folder you wish to delete mail from on the right side there are little boxes - put a check next to the ones you want to delete and hit the selection bar - that opens a box where you have several options including delete

I hope this was useful

KrazyIvan
May 15th, 2013, 09:42 PM
Does not work for me. It does work for sent items, not the inbox. That's both on a win 7 box with Chrome and iPad with Safari.

Bogon07
May 15th, 2013, 11:51 PM
I have the single message deletion boxes in my Sent folder but not the Inbox folder as per KrazyIvan.

Jon Szanto
May 16th, 2013, 12:04 AM
Same here. *Definitely* seems like the Inbox should act exactly as the Sent folder does. I smell a glitch.

dannzeman
May 16th, 2013, 12:53 PM
Same here. *Definitely* seems like the Inbox should act exactly as the Sent folder does. I smell a glitch.
Unfortunately, it's not a glitch, just a lack of features.

The new layout for PMs was the best solution to having a threaded conversation I could find. I thought it was much better than the old method, but I can certainly switch it back if the community wants. As far as archiving your messages or clearing space in our inbox, I'd download them in the 3 formats available and then empty your PMs.

I'm certainly open to ideas.

KrazyIvan
May 16th, 2013, 01:33 PM

The new layout for PMs was the best solution to having a threaded conversation I could find. I thought it was much better than the old method, but I can certainly switch it back if the community wants. As far as archiving your messages or clearing space in our inbox, I'd download them in the 3 formats available and then empty your PMs.

I can work with downloading them. Odd thing is, I emptied my box and it says I have zero messages but I can still see the threads.

dannzeman
May 16th, 2013, 04:09 PM
I can work with downloading them. Odd thing is, I emptied my box and it says I have zero messages but I can still see the threads.
Bonus!

Mags
May 17th, 2013, 04:28 AM
I prefer the unthreaded older style...just my personal preference.

Mags sent from my blackberry playbook using tapatalks

dannzeman
May 17th, 2013, 09:24 AM

Can you give some reasons why?

Laura N
May 17th, 2013, 05:09 PM
I really like the new threaded style. Replies especially are much easier.

I have to say, unintentionally deleting all my inbox messages wasn't so bad. It kind of feels like spring cleaning. :)

Jon Szanto
May 17th, 2013, 05:11 PM
I have to say, unintentionally deleting all my inbox messages wasn't so bad. It kind of feels like spring cleaning. :)
There go all my sekrit luv letters to you... :(

Mags
May 17th, 2013, 07:54 PM

Can you give some reasons why?

I can select specific emails to delete unless mistaken and can download a single PM.

Laura N
May 17th, 2013, 08:21 PM

Yeah, but I still have all the ones I sent you. :)

Jon Szanto
May 18th, 2013, 12:29 AM

Yeah, but I still have all the ones I sent you. :)

Sailor Kenshin
May 21st, 2013, 05:19 AM

Please please please pleeeez switch it back! Thanks.

KrazyIvan
May 21st, 2013, 08:44 AM
So are the threads going to just drop off on their own after a certain amount of time? We can't delete them, it's going to get messy eventually.

Jon Szanto
May 22nd, 2013, 11:48 PM
Ok, here is another thing, and correct me if I'm wrong, but...

I always used to be able to go into a 'conversation' and by clicking on reply or whatever, it would quote the initial message into my reply. Tonight I got a PM, and the only way I could make a reply with a quote in it was to copy/paste it into a quotation set of tags in the quick reply.

Uhhh, computers are supposed to make our lives easier. What happened here? This doesn't seem right At All.

KrazyIvan
May 23rd, 2013, 06:39 AM
Do you really need to quote? Its just you and the other person in the thread. Unless what your're quoting is out of sequence in relation to the thread itself, it's sort of redundant. Unless you have multiple participants as in a public thread then yes, quotes are handy.

KrazyIvan
May 23rd, 2013, 06:40 AM
Ugh my phone keybord is acting weird.

Sailor Kenshin
May 23rd, 2013, 06:46 AM
I would still prefer the older interface....being able to delete all but the newest replies, a few other features that make the Inbox easy and convenient to use

dannzeman
May 23rd, 2013, 09:42 AM
Ok, here is another thing, and correct me if I'm wrong, but...

I always used to be able to go into a 'conversation' and by clicking on reply or whatever, it would quote the initial message into my reply. Tonight I got a PM, and the only way I could make a reply with a quote in it was to copy/paste it into a quotation set of tags in the quick reply.

Uhhh, computers are supposed to make our lives easier. What happened here? This doesn't seem right At All.
Quoting the other person's message would be redundant and waste space in the threaded layout. The entire conversation is listed below the comment box.

dannzeman
May 23rd, 2013, 09:54 AM
So are the threads going to just drop off on their own after a certain amount of time? We can't delete them, it's going to get messy eventually.
No, they won't drop off. Why would it get messy? All the messages are grouped into threads, sorted by newest at the top, making them easier to read.

I would still prefer the older interface....being able to delete all but the newest replies, a few other features that make the Inbox easy and convenient to use
I have to disagree. The old inbox was far from easy and convenient to use. If one person forgot to quote the conversation then you had to go through all your PM's to find the rest of the convo. Having it grouped into a thread is so much easier to read. As far as deleting PM's, I'm not sure it makes a difference. When I installed the mod it brought back PM's from a year ago that had long been deleted, but aren't counted against my PM count.

Jon Szanto
May 23rd, 2013, 10:03 AM
Do you really need to quote? Its just you and the other person in the thread. Unless what your're quoting is out of sequence in relation to the thread itself, it's sort of redundant. Unless you have multiple participants as in a public thread then yes, quotes are handy.
Hrrmmm.

I guess I needn't feel the need to justify my request, but... If a person writes me a long msg, with many points, I find it handy to quote that, and maybe even break it up as I go, so as to answer the points in order. No, it isn't drop-dead necessary; yes, that is the way it has functioned in the past.

If that functionality has changed, fine, I'll deal. I haven't seen the upside to this, but assuming it was something that just rolled in with a platform update or something, one must just get on with it, I suppose.

dannzeman
May 23rd, 2013, 10:28 AM
Jon, I don't think you need to justify your request, but explaining how you use it might help others understand and recommend an alternative.

I'm with you, I regularly break down the conversation and respond directly to certain points within quotes. I don't think the new threaded PM style has made this any more difficult. Either way, you'd be cutting, copying, pasting, or deleting parts of the conversation and wrapping quote tags around certain elements.

If a majority of the users really thinks the threaded PM's is less useful, and not just complaining about change, then we'll go back to the old style.

Jon Szanto
May 23rd, 2013, 10:41 AM
Thanks, Dan. I was mostly thrown by the initial response-to-a-post, which was missing the "Reply with Quote" button. Not a huge issue, not even a small one really.

Carry on!

Sailor Kenshin
June 3rd, 2013, 05:29 AM

So is there any way to delete individual PMs from the Inbox?

KrazyIvan
June 3rd, 2013, 11:16 AM
What I don't get is that the inbox is filling up again but they don't disappear when you empty your inbox.

sloegin
June 20th, 2013, 04:41 PM
Did the old PM system send an email notice? The deleting thing is odd but I can live with it. Will it auto delete? Or do I have to go in when it is full and delete everything myself? As that seems counter productive; as if I'm in the middle of a conversation and my inbox becomes full, I now have to delete the conversation that I'm having to be able to get a response.

Jon Szanto
June 20th, 2013, 06:44 PM
Just yesterday I got an automated email letting me know it was 90% full. I did the only thing you can do at the moment (download the msgs in some format), and then emptied the Inbox.

Which then leads to that odd situation: you now have 100% storage available, but the old msg subject lines are still listed, and, sure enough, clicking on them brings up the conversation.

Truly odd.

KrazyIvan
June 20th, 2013, 08:35 PM
Yeah, they don't go away. From what I can tell, it looks like the mod just creates your own personal forum linking the PM's to threads and the PM box is in the background

Flounder
July 7th, 2013, 11:59 AM
Dan, can I double-check with you that you've received a couple of PMs from me? I don't mind what your response to them is, or if you've not had a chance to read them etc. It's just I got a PM from you which made me think there's a bug in the PM system or something.

Annie
July 7th, 2013, 12:38 PM
I'm beginning to think there's a bug too. Tried to delete a whole pile of stuff and it just won't go. Am I doing something wrong?

Annie
July 7th, 2013, 12:39 PM
Just yesterday I got an automated email letting me know it was 90% full. I did the only thing you can do at the moment (download the msgs in some format), and then emptied the Inbox.

Which then leads to that odd situation: you now have 100% storage available, but the old msg subject lines are still listed, and, sure enough, clicking on them brings up the conversation.

Truly odd.

Same oddness here.

KrazyIvan
July 7th, 2013, 12:41 PM
Check my posts earlier in the thread. That's the way it works. Just empty your inbox and you get to keep your PM's. but the counter goes down to zero messages. Don't forget to empty your sent items too. They count against your quota.

Annie
July 7th, 2013, 12:48 PM
Thanks Ivan. Did what you dun said and all fine now.

dannzeman
July 7th, 2013, 08:32 PM
I've switched things back to the old original style. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Dan, can I double-check with you that you've received a couple of PMs from me? I don't mind what your response to them is, or if you've not had a chance to read them etc. It's just I got a PM from you which made me think there's a bug in the PM system or something.
Can you send them again? I don't see them in my inbox.

Flounder
July 8th, 2013, 10:36 AM
Dan, I've just now forwarded the messages. If that doesn't work, I can try copying and pasting the content to a new message.

dannzeman
July 8th, 2013, 02:15 PM
Dan, I've just now forwarded the messages. If that doesn't work, I can try copying and pasting the content to a new message.
I still haven't received anything from you. Can someone else try sending me a PM just to see if the system is working?

Flounder
July 8th, 2013, 02:24 PM
Could this be an old system to new system crossover type thing? I joined on May 5th, and don't remember the "old" PM system Ivan mentions. Maybe joining up after the switch to the new system has something to do with this? Though I am getting messages through to other members. Bit of a head scratcher.

Also, two dannzemans show up when I was forwarding the old PMs, if that's at all relevant.

Flounder
July 8th, 2013, 02:30 PM
I had a brainwave! I've forwarded one of the PMs to the second dannzeman on the list. Has that worked?

Jon Szanto
July 8th, 2013, 02:40 PM
Can someone else try sending me a PM just to see if the system is working?
Done.

Tracy Lee
July 8th, 2013, 04:58 PM
Just thought I would share that I am rarely on the forum from the computer, almost always my phone and my tablet with Tapatalk. I can delete messages just fine via that app, keep the ones I want in both inbox and sent messages, and I never run into space issues. So if you ever use the app, give that a try to free up your space and manage messages. :-)

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

dannzeman
July 9th, 2013, 07:24 AM
Can someone else try sending me a PM just to see if the system is working?
Done.
Thanks, Jon.

I've figured out what the problem was. There was a duplicate "dannzeman" account created and all the PMs where going to that account. When I logged into it I had 15 new messages waiting! I've got it sorted out and am responding to PMs.

Jon Szanto
August 24th, 2013, 12:08 PM
Back to the email:

I've just discovered that I have lost virtually all my old PMs. I currently show 10 in my inbox, and 54 replies. By going through the replies, I can see that there are quite a few original messages that must have gone poof.

I remember when we went through an alteration in the PM display that when msgs were deleted, they still showed in the inbox. No more.

In the big picture, I suppose it isn't catastrophic. That said, I always was careful to keep under the limit, deleting posts that weren't needed, and would save anything I thought valuable. A member contacted me in late spring, early summer, wanting to get together over pens (same city), and now I have no mail from him and I can't remember member name, etc.

I'm not saying it is a bug. It may have been something on my end, but I'm pretty sure I'd remember deleting dozens of posts all at once. Just putting the info out there, hope it isn't something that affects others.

dannzeman
August 24th, 2013, 01:08 PM
Jon, I'll switch it back to the threaded PM system to see if they reappear. Let me know.

reprieve
August 24th, 2013, 01:11 PM
Jon, I'll switch it back to the threaded PM system to see if they reappear. Let me know.

Just want to say that I very much prefer the threaded system.

dannzeman
August 24th, 2013, 01:12 PM

I do to, but it seems a number of other users don't.

Always looking for more feedback.

Sailor Kenshin
August 24th, 2013, 01:30 PM

Same here.

Avastgard
August 28th, 2013, 10:52 AM
Why not make a poll asking which kind of PM system users prefer?

Flounder
August 28th, 2013, 10:57 AM
If the threaded system is the one that's running at the moment, I like it.

KrazyIvan
August 28th, 2013, 02:03 PM
I got used to the threaded system and actually got to like it once I got the hang of it. I was a bit disappointing to see it go away but am glad it's back.

drgoretex
September 3rd, 2013, 12:05 PM
Just noticed the change to threaded. Like it ++

Ken

Sailor Kenshin
September 5th, 2013, 02:41 PM
So can individual PMs now get deleted to clear your Inbox? If so, I can't see how.

dannzeman
September 5th, 2013, 04:31 PM
So can individual PMs now get deleted to clear your Inbox? If so, I can't see how.
With the threaded PM system you won't actually run out of space. The counter will fill up, but it shouldn't stop you from receiving PMs.

drgoretex
September 7th, 2013, 09:42 AM
With the threaded PM system you won't actually run out of space. The counter will fill up, but it shouldn't stop you from receiving PMs.

Ah. Was wondering about that, after getting the warning to clear my inbox. Figured out how to clear selected 'sent items', but not how to clear selected 'inbox items'.

Ken

Sailor Kenshin
September 7th, 2013, 11:28 AM

Ah. Was wondering about that, after getting the warning to clear my inbox. Figured out how to clear selected 'sent items', but not how to clear selected 'inbox items'.

Ken

Lol, don't keep us in the dark!

drgoretex
September 8th, 2013, 11:51 AM

Ken

Lol, don't keep us in the dark!

Go to Inbox. Hit 'edit folders' in the 'my messages' window upper left. Then, hit 'sent items' in the 'standard folders' window. You can then tick off which sent items you want to delete. This does not work, however, with 'inbox items'.

Cheers,

Ken

Jeph
February 1st, 2014, 02:25 AM

It might not, but apparently it DOES stop you from sending any more. I got this today:

The following errors occurred with your submission
You have reached your stored private message quota and cannot send any further messages until space has been created.

Sailor Kenshin
February 1st, 2014, 06:44 AM

It might not, but apparently it DOES stop you from sending any more. I got this today:

You have reached your stored private message quota and cannot send any further messages until space has been created.

That would be a Catch-22.

Jeph
February 2nd, 2014, 11:58 PM
It looks like Dan tweaked things and I can send PM's again. Yeah Dan!

KrazyIvan
February 3rd, 2014, 05:49 PM
Yeah, I think there was a security issue so Dan disabled it. I guess it has been re-enabled?

Flounder
February 26th, 2014, 11:51 AM
I ran out of space yesterday, and got this auto email:
"has just tried to send you a private message. However, your private messages box on FPGeeks Forum has reached the specified quota. In order to receive further private messages, you must delete some messages. Please visit this page to do so:"

The message didn't get through, so I guess the counter applies now.

Jeph
February 26th, 2014, 01:17 PM
Yes, I am shut back off again. I just tried to send a message and got this:

:whip:

Sailor Kenshin
March 17th, 2014, 07:17 AM

Yet during InCo, I was unable to send a PM to several members because their Inboxes were full. And I just got a warning message that mine is full and I won't be able to send or receive.

So what's the real story?

dannzeman
March 17th, 2014, 07:30 AM

Yet during InCo, I was unable to send a PM to several members because their Inboxes were full. And I just got a warning message that mine is full and I won't be able to send or receive.

When I first installed the plugin the forum software was a different version. When I had filled my inbox back then, I didn't receive any error message. The only thing I can think of is that one of the updates changed the functionality and now the limit still applies.

If you can't send or receive PMs then you'll have to delete them. There is an archive function that you can download them in various formats before you delete them.

jar
March 17th, 2014, 07:40 AM

When I first installed the plugin the forum software was a different version. When I had filled my inbox back then, I didn't receive any error message. The only thing I can think of is that one of the updates changed the functionality and now the limit still applies.

If you can't send or receive PMs then you'll have to delete them. There is an archive function that you can download them in various formats before you delete them.

So as a test I just used the Empty Folder option on both inbox and sent. The result is that the counter shows 0 messages of 100 allowed on both folders BUT all the old messages seem to be there.

I think that the error messages folk are getting are just an aberration, misreading the message counter instead of actual messages and emptying the folders resets the counter.

KrazyIvan
March 17th, 2014, 10:52 AM
Hey Jar, you might want to check those PM's again. I have had my PM box fill up since the last upgrade. I deleted everything and the counter returns to zero but the threaded PM's are there. The thing is the threaded PM's have all the responses removed and only my replies or maybe the other way around I have not looked to be sure. It makes for a very confusing threaded PM. Kind of annoying.

jar
March 17th, 2014, 11:42 AM
Hey Jar, you might want to check those PM's again. I have had my PM box fill up since the last upgrade. I deleted everything and the counter returns to zero but the threaded PM's are there. The thing is the threaded PM's have all the responses removed and only my replies or maybe the other way around I have not looked to be sure. It makes for a very confusing threaded PM. Kind of annoying.

Yup, seems to be true. Of course I've never had a pm so important it mattered I guess.