PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Boston/New England Pen Show

AndrewW
May 15th, 2013, 11:16 PM
Since the Boston pen show's finally returned and since this year marks my high school graduation, I'll definitely be going. This will be my first time at a pen show as well; if you see an Asian kid with a violin case, chances are, it's me. :wave:

So, the question is, who else here is going? And of course, which pens are you folks going to be looking for?
I know I'm dead set on either a PFM III or a nice Vacumatic to mark the occasion.

Cake
June 2nd, 2013, 10:22 AM
I'm going to try to go...anyone else??
It'd be my first show so I'm going to soak in all the pen glamour.

lsmith42
June 7th, 2013, 08:41 PM
Just a little more detail on the Boston show:

As some may already know, the show will be at the Boston Park Plaza Hotel (617-426-2000) on the famous Boston Commons. There are still a few rooms available at the show discount (if booked before Monday night). Discounted parking is available.

The will also be a Saturday night party with a live band! That will be worth checking out!

May not need to be said, but if you're not really into the pens, there's always the food! Boston is a great place to eat!

And no, I won't be able to make it to the show this year, but I will be delivering Roger to the airport at some ungodly hour...

Farmboy
June 7th, 2013, 09:16 PM

You moving furniture that weekend?

FB

AltecGreen
June 7th, 2013, 10:09 PM
And no, I won't be able to make it to the show this year, but I will be delivering Roger to the airport at some ungodly hour...

Better you than me. :lazy2:

plistumi
June 8th, 2013, 05:21 PM
I think I am going, but only Friday. Going to Broadway on Saturday so I have to be back in NY early Saturday.

Adhizen
June 10th, 2013, 07:14 PM
I'm thinking I will be going... not sure which days at this point. This will be my first pen show if my schedule works out :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

plistumi
June 15th, 2013, 07:59 AM
...snip... if you see an Asian kid with a violin case, chances are, it's me. ... snip...

I did, I did! It was nice meeting you at Pendleton's table. Congratulations on your graduation and on your new Pen! Show us what your (unexpected?) final choice was.

The show was great. I had a blast and ended up with good, no, great loot. Meeting Nathan Tardiff Noodlers was a treat. I am a fan of his political and social and pen-related commentaries. Look at those labels closely in the front and back.

plistumi
June 15th, 2013, 08:03 AM
Oh, and how could I forget? I had the luck of touching a Parker Aztec! Wow! I have not washed my hand yet.

Manny
June 15th, 2013, 09:38 AM
Oh, and how could I forget? I had the luck of touching a Parker Aztec! Wow! I have not washed my hand yet.

If I didn't know you already, that would be gross.

plistumi
June 15th, 2013, 05:01 PM
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2813/9051932351_748ef4edb1_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/69334333@N00/9051932351/)

By the way. This is what a thumb and forefinger look like after holding the Parker Aztec. I was told not to drop it, so I held on tight. See, Manny? That is why I do not want to wash that hand. You and your dirty, dirty mind. Phooey! Altecgreen took a picture of the Aztec in the midst of some Lamys. Here is the link to his post: http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/2501-Something-is-not-right?highlight=aztec Could the pen I had the honor to hold have been the same one?

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3768/9051932511_ea6a978be7_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/69334333@N00/9051932511/)

Manny
June 15th, 2013, 07:48 PM
Time with the Mrs. dictates "no pens".

AltecGreen
June 15th, 2013, 10:09 PM
Altecgreen took a picture of the Aztec in the midst of some Lamys. Here is the link to his post: http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/2501-Something-is-not-right?highlight=aztec Could the pen I had the honor to hold have been the same one?

I suspect that it is.

dobemom
June 16th, 2013, 12:59 PM
[QUOTEif you see an Asian kid with a violin case, chances are, it's me. :wave:[/QUOTE]

I wish I'd seen your post before I went! It was my first pen show too. I did see a young man with a violin case heading toward Pendleton's table at one point. Drat. It would have been nice to meet you. :)

I didn't go looking for a pen. I went to find someone to work on my old Balance, which needed a bladder and a good cleaning. Yes, I know I could have done it myself, but it's a pen I didn't want just any idiot working on ( that would be me...I'll work on my Jeep engine or my Harley, but not on an inhereted fountain pen ). I also wanted to replace the broken nib on an Esterbrook I happened on to. The one in it was extra fine and the tip was broken off...you could draw blood with that thing! So I went to Brian Anderson who hooked me up with a nice broad tip for it. Thumbs up to Brian for that! :thank_you2:

Originally I'd thought if I found something that made my knees weak I'd go for it, but on my way to pick up the friend I was going to the show with I blew a hole in my exhaust system on my Jeep and upon abreviated investigatin I saw it was the pipe from the manifold to the exhaust that contains two ( yes TWO! ) catalytic converters in it. That cut my budget down to only necessities. So my friend drove and I knew I didn't have the spare cash to get anything no matter how weak in the knees it made me. Then I fell in love with a pen with one of Pendleton's nibs and that one found a home...a Rosetta Vulcan stealth 1.1. I can't complain about my penmanship...those years in art school gave me pretty good control over my hands, but that nib just brought it to a whole other level. :dance3:

penultress
June 16th, 2013, 02:48 PM
plistumi - that is too funny!

AndrewW
June 16th, 2013, 06:51 PM
And speaking of marking the occasion...
...A Vacumatic Parker 51 "Custom" it turned out to be, thanks to Paul, Stan, Pendleton, and quite a few others. Also due to seeing a P51 demonstrator (coolest thing ever).

jacksterp
June 17th, 2013, 06:02 AM
AndrewW - is that a bottle of Purpillusion I spy?

If so, how do you like the ink?

AndrewW
June 25th, 2013, 04:13 PM
AndrewW - is that a bottle of Purpillusion I spy?

If so, how do you like the ink?

That would be a bottle of Bläkwä. Lovely ink in any EF nibs, although it starts looking a bit washed out in broader nibs like a broad stub.