PDA

View Full Version : Barrel/section thread problem. Cannot unscrew section from barrel.

Storm Cat
May 16th, 2013, 10:58 AM
:help: I have two Danitrio Cum Laudes--the brown fleck and blue/gray fleck. One has a fine nib, the other a medium nib. To look at the sections and barrels they would seem to be identical. Or... maybe they're not...

I decided I wanted to use the medium nib, which was on the blue/gray pen. But, since I like the brown more, decided ho hum, I'd just move the section over to the brown pen.

The road to hell is paved with simple decisions made on mornings when one has had insomnia and only 3 hours of sleep.

I screwed the medium nib's section into the brown barrel and I guess I did not notice that there was some tightness to the way it it screwed in. The upshot is that I cannot unscrew the section at all. It is wedged into place. I've tried using some squares of rubber pads to give me a better grip. I've asked someone with a stronger grip than I have to to give it a try.

I'm loathe to try anymore of my brilliant ideas at the moment, which include using heat from an embossing gun to warm and expand the barrel, or getting a pair of section/spark plug pliers and trying that.

I'm banging my head in complete frustration at the moment, mostly at myself for not paying attention to what was happening, and hope someone here can give me some advice on what to do. Heat? Section pliers? Something else? Send it to someone for repair? :help:

heraclitus682
May 16th, 2013, 11:00 AM
Soak?

Storm Cat
May 16th, 2013, 11:12 AM
Soak?

In warm water to expand the barrel?

I do know that dried ink isn't the problem. It's some kind of mismatch in the threads of section and barrel or a slight size difference. Something I should have noticed while I was screwing the section onto the barrel. Excuse me while I bang my head again. I shouldn't have dealt with anything more complicated than a pencil yesterday morning. :(

heraclitus682
May 16th, 2013, 11:13 AM
Oh, then nevermind. I'm not to sure about using heat on celluloid. Sorry.

KrazyIvan
May 16th, 2013, 11:14 AM
Soaking wont help that. I am thinking heat but are they celluloid? Odd that they are not fully interchangeable.

Storm Cat
May 16th, 2013, 11:23 AM
Soaking wont help that. I am thinking heat but are they celluloid? Odd that they are not fully interchangeable.

I'm not sure whether they're celluloid or not. I might ought to contact Winedoc and ask him about that. They look exactly the same, though the fine nib is a 2-toned IPG nib, and the medium nib is a gold toned nib with the Danitrio logo on it. Any differences in the two sections must be very very slight. The last turn I gave it was tight and I should have realized that something was wrong.

Storm Cat
May 16th, 2013, 11:26 AM
Oh, then nevermind. I'm not to sure about using heat on celluloid. Sorry.

Are they indeed celluloid? I always thought celluloid had a camphor type of smell, and these two don't.

I appreciate the suggestions. Thank you. :)

KrazyIvan
May 16th, 2013, 12:12 PM
Drgoretex or was it Brian Gray said it only smells of camphor while it is being cut.

heraclitus682
May 16th, 2013, 12:36 PM
I believe they are celluloid, but Kevin can tell you for sure.

Deb
May 16th, 2013, 01:08 PM
There's no particular problem with heat and celluloid but there can be a problem with hot water and celluloid. In these situations I find a judicious application of dry heat - with patience and repetitions if necessary - does the job.

Storm Cat
May 16th, 2013, 02:15 PM
There's no particular problem with heat and celluloid but there can be a problem with hot water and celluloid. In these situations I find a judicious application of dry heat - with patience and repetitions if necessary - does the job.

Thanks Deb. So maybe a very very careful application of heat at the joint will work.

Are section pliers helpful in a situation like this, or are they likely to cause a problem if you're not used to using them?

jacksterp
May 16th, 2013, 02:26 PM
Sounds to me like you have cross-threaded the section. In other words, either the threads do not match or the section was screwed in at a slight angle.

Just a guess - Good luck!

Deb
May 16th, 2013, 03:14 PM
Yes, I think section pliers can help, but care is the watchword. They can apply a fierce grip and the lever action of the handles gives considerable torque, so gently does it. I rarely use section pliers myself. I use those thin latex or nitrile gloves that tattooists use. They give a lot of grip. Another handy tool for gripping is a piece of bicycle inner tube.

calluna
May 16th, 2013, 03:25 PM

+1 on this answer...

Chi Town
May 18th, 2013, 08:13 AM
Winedoc seems to me to be the most appropriate path for this problem......

Storm Cat
May 18th, 2013, 01:00 PM
Yes, I think section pliers can help, but care is the watchword. They can apply a fierce grip and the lever action of the handles gives considerable torque, so gently does it. I rarely use section pliers myself. I use those thin latex or nitrile gloves that tattooists use. They give a lot of grip. Another handy tool for gripping is a piece of bicycle inner tube.

Thanks, Deb. I have a little warning bell going off in my mind about using pliers, and you've confirmed it. If I try a pair on this, I'll be very careful. But before that, I think I'll....

Winedoc seems to me to be the most appropriate path for this problem......

contact Winedoc first. I'm going to contact him this weekend. It's a problem totally of my own making, but since he's very familiar with the pen and the material its made from, he might can give me some advice.

I appreciate all the help and the virtual back pats from all of you. :)

Chi Town
May 19th, 2013, 05:38 AM
Keep us posted, Please.....

hari317
May 19th, 2013, 05:47 AM
The pens are made of Cellulose Acetate not Cellulose Nitrate(camphor smelling type). HTH.

Storm Cat
May 22nd, 2013, 10:10 AM
Keep us posted, Please.....

Just a quick update. Winedoc has offered to take a look at the pen, so I'll be sending it to him. I've also offered to pay him for any repair since it's my error and nothing to do with the pen itself. I thought he might could advise me on using section pliers, or heat, but he offered to take a look himself. That's very generous of him. He is a great guy. :)