PDA

View Full Version : Tokyo International Pen Show

hungrynerd
September 20th, 2018, 02:17 AM
Who's going?

Who's traveling? I'm heading there from California.

penwash
September 20th, 2018, 08:25 AM
Excellent! Have fun, take lots of photos and share your impression here when you're back.

Sammyo
September 20th, 2018, 09:41 PM
I may or may not be going... depending on funds and the family... I'll keep you posted [emoji106]

Sent from my SCV36 using Tapatalk

hungrynerd
September 21st, 2018, 08:52 PM
For overseas visitors, Bruce (thinkpaper.co) and the show organizers have planned a meet-up on Saturday evening!

Sammyo
September 23rd, 2018, 09:43 PM
Looks like I'll probably be going, it will only be the Saturday I'd I do go though. It's close enough to home to make a day trip out of it [emoji106]

Sammyo
September 24th, 2018, 05:05 AM
I'm definitely going on Saturday [emoji106]

Jon Szanto
September 24th, 2018, 11:07 AM
Who's going?

Just out of curiosity, how many people do you think have the time and resources to fly half-way around the world to attend a pen show? It would be nice, but that just isn't in the cards for me.

da vinci
September 24th, 2018, 03:02 PM
I am sure it will be a fabulous event and if I had the time to combine it with a holiday in Japan then maybe one day...I hope you take lots of photos hungrynerd and give us a write up of your experience!

An interesting question by Jon. I do travel internationally for pen shows once or twice a year, but the distance involved is less than than the distance between the East and West coasts of the US.

hungrynerd
September 24th, 2018, 03:14 PM
Well, for ppl outside of Asia, like me, I started planning and saving for this trip as a vacation months ago.

for people within Asia, it's more like traveling from SF to Ohio or Denver.

For people within Japan it's also a short and sometimes cheap trip - budget airlines make it easy.

Beyond that, there are a lot of people in this hobby who have the resources to travel whenever they want. So... I guess I would think there's a lot?

Sammyo
September 24th, 2018, 04:13 PM
Who's going?

Just out of curiosity, how many people do you think have the time and resources to fly half-way around the world to attend a pen show? It would be nice, but that just isn't in the cards for me.Sorry, I thought this was a global forum!
The amount of times people ask
"Who's going to DC?"
"Who's going to the London show?"
"Who's going to the Frankfurt show?"

Not everyone I this forum is based in the US.
So many people say "I'm based in Asia, I wish I could go to a show like the DC show!".
What an incredibly xenophobic comment! Why only ask this about an Asian show and never about a European one?
Come on Jon, I expect better.
No wonder I feel so isolated and segregated out here. Most people here in Japan don't speak English, I was hoping to find someone going that I might be able to meet from here and say hi to.

hungrynerd
September 24th, 2018, 04:16 PM
I am sure it will be a fabulous event and if I had the time to combine it with a holiday in Japan then maybe one day...I hope you take lots of photos hungrynerd and give us a write up of your experience!

I will try not to get starry eyed and lose focus! It's been a goal to attend one of the dept store FP fairs in Japan for some time so I'm thrilled to be able to go and check out the first pen show of this kind in Japan!

Jon Szanto
September 24th, 2018, 05:44 PM
Sorry, I thought this was a global forum!

I realize that. Which is why I directed my comment specifically to hungrynerd, whom I happen to know. I knew that this was a person *in* the US who would be travelling *to* Japan for the show. I didn't mean to hinder communication or get anyone upset. I was poking the person who wrote that comment. I think they can speak to my lack of xenophobia, and I am sorry to see that you have leaped to that rather large assumption, even if - momentarily - I was addressing someone from this time zone.

I'll make certain to not repeat the error.

Have a great time - both of you (and anyone else attending). Please give us a couple of photos!

Sammyo
September 25th, 2018, 06:18 AM
Sorry, I thought this was a global forum!

I realize that. Which is why I directed my comment specifically to hungrynerd, whom I happen to know. I knew that this was a person *in* the US who would be travelling *to* Japan for the show. I didn't mean to hinder communication or get anyone upset...

Have a great time - both of you (and anyone else attending). Please give us a couple of photos!
No, fair play, I made a boo boo.
I wrote something while half asleep, thinking it was a response to a thread I started (I have asked in many places if anyone was going).
Also, it came off the back of a bunch of US people in another place basically saying "if it's not American, it's junk, only America can make good x" type of comments.

I know you Jon, I know you are not... I should not post when half asleep and in a bad mood.

Apologies, I'm getting irritable as I get older... My bad, the funny thing is, I'm writing this one while half asleep too!

Pebblestationeryco
September 27th, 2018, 08:26 PM
I want to go to this pen show so much! Please post photos!

hungrynerd
October 16th, 2018, 02:12 PM
A bit overdue, but here's two photo dumps.
I'll will eventually write things up with a bit more detail, but for now, hope the photos suffice: https://imgur.com/a/7x7O7Y7, https://imgur.com/a/A9LlSqw

penwash
October 16th, 2018, 03:52 PM
Awesome photo travelogue. Thank you so much.

Looking forward to your detailed reportage.

Saki
November 4th, 2018, 04:26 AM
Fantastic! Thanks for the photos.

junglejim
November 4th, 2018, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the photos! Great Sumgai haul and broiled eel bento box and Kito-Kato! Yum-yum. Glad your travels went safely.

All the Best.

Chrissy
November 4th, 2018, 03:52 PM
No, fair play, I made a boo boo.
I wrote something while half asleep, thinking it was a response to a thread I started (I have asked in many places if anyone was going).
Also, it came off the back of a bunch of US people in another place basically saying "if it's not American, it's junk, only America can make good x" type of comments.

I know you Jon, I know you are not... I should not post when half asleep and in a bad mood.

Apologies, I'm getting irritable as I get older... My bad, the funny thing is, I'm writing this one while half asleep too!

Can I just pop in here to say there's one great thing about this forum, that not everyone remembers: You can edit or even delete entire posts no matter how long it is between when you post and when you might want to change something. :)

fountainpagan
November 5th, 2018, 01:58 AM
Thank you so much for the photos.
It is very nice to enable us to travel with you, and enjoy a little of the atmosphere, not to mention discovering new brands.

azkid
November 5th, 2018, 08:19 AM
I am totally blown away by many of those incredible pens. I had no idea the heights to which Japanese pen art could soar. Absolutely incredible. Thanks for sharing pics.

Sagebrush64
November 5th, 2018, 01:37 PM
Wow, thank you for sharing your photos. I really wish I could have made it but I'm not going until May of 2019. I will hopefully be visiting the Namiki museum and visiting lots of pen/stationary stores!