PDA

View Full Version : Parker 25 factory Italic?

calluna
May 16th, 2013, 08:16 PM
I received a small lot of English Parkers and in that lot was a Parker 25 Flighter. No big surprises there. Under all the crud there was a fantastic italic nib. It was not a cheesy calligraphy set sort of italic, but the sort of factory italic or oblique nib that you hope to find out of the box when you buy a nice Parker or Sheaffer. Glassy-smooth, crisp, lots of nice line variation, great for extended writing. Not something I was expecting.

So, the question is, did they even make a Parker 25 with italic nibs? I thought they were f/m/b only. Did they make Parker 25 calligraphy sets like the Vector sets you see nowadays only with higher quality nibs? These are not something I normally pick up on purpose and I know little about them. It was a nice surprise, though, and I'm indulging my curiosity.

cheers
calluna

View from the Loft
May 17th, 2013, 02:39 PM
Hi, Parker 25s were definitely available with italic nibs asstandard items. My first real pen was one, which took me all the way through school (from age 8) and college. I still have two of these (well almost - one has been claimed by one of our children). Great writers, albeit with rigid nibs.

carlc
May 24th, 2013, 03:28 AM
I've seen sales for one or two floating nibs around the web but as far as I know they didn't make calligraphy sets.

Parker do make some unusual nibs (or should I say non-standard nibs for pens you wouldn't think warranted the attention) - I had a factory italic for a Parker Frontier once.

carl