PDA

View Full Version : VINTAGE FS: Sheaffer Balances w/ NPT (incl. odd Canadian variants)

popcod
September 30th, 2018, 03:13 PM
Offered below are several Sheaffers from the 1930s in celluloid with nickel-plated trim, including a couple of highly unusual Canadian variants. Despite being some of Sheaffer's best-selling pens at the time, it is difficult to find clean examples of these color-and-trim configurations, which are particularly prone to discoloration and plating-wear. These pens are cleaner than most – a couple are exceptional. Nibs are on the finer side, for the most part, and range from Firm to Full Flex. I've found Sheaffer nibs from the 30s-50s to be some of the smoothest, most reliable writers ever made. And these are no exception. As always, all are fully restored and ready to write.

https://i.imgur.com/xzFTDpu.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/x0dDiEu.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/CbV5A83.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/nk4Bmm3.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/FQR99kM.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/xEXJmPf.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/9NJEa6d.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/4GAxXqV.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/WOtjZXC.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/cSUTb3v.jpg

Condition (n.b.): All pens listed below have been disassembled, cleaned and restored with new sacs installed (if applicable) in the last couple months. Each is guaranteed to fill and write as designed without leaks or other issues. When necessary, nibs have been tuned to ensure a "smooth and consistent" writing experience, meaning that they exhibit no scratchiness, unevenness, hard starts, skipping, or ink bombs. These pens have no cracks, chips, personal engravings (except #7 & #8), missing parts, bent nibs, misaligned tines, or threading problems.

1. 1934-5 Sheaffer Junior (Grey Pearl–Red Vein, NPT, lever filler, 14k XF Flex nib). Measures 4.5" capped and 5.6" posted. Resembling a Balance with truncated ends, these pens are often confused with the Balance Jr., which supplanted it in 1935-6. According to Sheaffer catalogues, however, this was a distinct model, called simply a Junior. As indicated by the flat-ball clip, this is a later model. Beautiful grey marble and red vein pattern shows none of the greenish discoloration that typically plagues this color. Flexible 14k Sheaffer Junior nib (old style) lays down a smooth and consistent XF line that widens to a BB+ under moderate pressure (see writing sample). **Condition:** excellent. side from a pin-sized spot of wear here and there on the clip, the trim is exceptionally clean. The cap band shows some dulling of the finish on the sides but no full-fledged brassing. Color is superb and imprint is sharp. Celluloid has a smooth, lustrous finish with no significant blemishes. Matching mechanical pencil available for an extra $15 (fully functional and in similar cosmetic condition). Price: $120 SOLD

2. 1931-4 Sheaffer Junior** (Grey Pearl–Red Vein, NPT, lever filler, 14k XF Flex nib). Measures 4.5" capped and 5.6" posted. This is the earlier version of the Junior, having a short round ball humped clip. In all other respects it's identical to pen #1 but it's not quite as clean. Flexible 14k Sheaffer Junior nib (old style) lays down a smooth and consistent XF line that widens to a BB+ under moderate pressure (see writing sample). **Condition:** excellent/very good. Sharp, fully legible imprint. Color is excellent: grey as opposed to green, and vibrant red veins. Brassing is limited to the edges of the lever and one side of the cap band (last photo shows the worst of it). But there is some pitting on the sides of the clip and scratches covering the lever. Surface is smooth and lustrous aside from a handful of light nibble marks around the very top of the cap. It writes every bit as nicely as pen #1, but these flaws have been factored into the price. Matching mechanical pencil available for an extra $15 (fully functional and in similar cosmetic condition) Price: $95 SOLD

3. 1935-6 Shaffer Balance Jr. (Ebonized Pearl, NPT, lever filler, XXF Semi-Flex nib). Measures 4.8" capped and 5.6" posted. Ebonized Pearl one of the scarcer catalogued Balance colors. And it's especially prized by collectors for its distinctive charm and beauty. Genuine abalone chips embedded in the celluloid. Too often one finds the clear, upper layers of plastic on these pens discolored, giving the abalone a colorless brown appearance. This pen shows no discoloration, so that the chips retain their quartz-like appearance, coruscating and refracting light like a prism. Semi-flexible 14k Sheaffer Junior (new style) nib lays down a smooth and consistent XXF line that yields a couple line widths of variation under moderate pressure (see writing sample). Sheaffer excelled at shaping and finishing iridium tipping and this nib is surprisingly smooth for such a fine point – the slight flex making it even smoother. **Condition:** excellent. The trim is extraordinarily clean aside from some pitting to the edge of the clip and dulling to the finish on the sides of the cap band. Smooth, lustrous finish with no significant blemishes apart a ding near the lever. Sharp, fully legible imprint and outstanding color. Price: $90 SOLD

4. 1931-4 Sheaffer Balance 33 "Craftsman" (Grey Pearl–Red Vein, NPT, lever filler, 14k XF nib). This is the full-length, slender girth model, measuring 5.5" capped. This color is featured in catalogues on the Lifetime (white dot) models with gold trim, but I've always thought nickel complimented it better. The #3/#33 (a size later dubbed the Craftsman) is the only catalogued full-length Balance in the grey-red/nickel configuration. 14k Sheaffer 33 nib lays down a smooth and consistent XF line with just enough softness/springiness to accentuate its smoothness (see writing sample). Condition: Color is superb with no discernible discoloration. Trim is also incredibly clean aside from some microscratches on the lever and some brassing to one side of the cap band (see last photo). No other brassing. Clip immaculate. Smooth lustrous finish to the celluloid with no significant flaws. Deep, fully legible imprint. A scarce pen in this condition and a lovely writer. Price: $120 SOLD

5. 1935-40 Sheaffer Balance Sovereign (Grey Pearl striated, NPT, lever filler, 14k two-tone XF nib). This is the full-length, slender girth *Lifetime* model (same proportions as #4), measuring 5.4" capped. Features white dot signifying Sheaffer's Lifetime guarantee, 14k two-tone Lifetime nib, ink-view window in the section, and the streamlined radius clip Sheaffer adopted in the mid 30s. Firm 14k nib lays down a buttery smooth and consistent XF line (see writing sample). Condition: This is an extremely well-preserved pen. Although it shows some microscratches, there is no brassing to the trim (a rarity on a NPT Balance). Sharp, fully legible imprint. And smooth, lustrous finish to the celluloid with no noteworthy blemishes. This once comes from my own personal collection – I decided I simply have too many Balances in this pattern. You'd be hard-pressed to find a nicer example. Price: $120 SOLD

6. 1935-40 Sheaffer Balance Statesman (Grey Pearl striated, NPT, lever filler, 14k two-tone XXF nib). This is the full-length, standard girth model, measuring 5.5" capped. Priced at $10 (equivalent to $180 today), the Statesman was eclipsed only by the oversized Balance Premier among Sheaffer's top of the line models. It features a white dot above the clip, signifying Sheaffer's Lifetime guarantee, 14k two-tone Lifetime nib, ink-view window in the section, and streamlined radius clip. Firm 14k nib lays down a smooth and consistent XXF line (see writing sample). A precision line with reliable ink delivery. Condition: Another pen with exceptional color and trim. Trim is clean aside from some microscratches and the thinnest slivers of brassing on the very edges of one side of the cap band (see last photo). Sharp, fully legible imprint. And smooth, lustrous finish to the celluloid with no noteworthy blemishes. A full-sized pen for those who prefer a needlepoint line. Price:$150 $140

7. 1930s Canadian Balance 5-30(Carmine, NPT, lever filler, 14k two-tone M nib). Full-length, standard girth model, measuring 5.5" capped. When one looks into the Balances produced by Sheaffer Canada at their Toronto factory in the 30s, things get weird and none of the usual rules apply. With the exception of the Balance Junior, all known versions of the red striated "Carmine" Balance in US catalogues have gold-plated trim. Yet this one has nickel. Moreover, Carmine was a very late color. It made its debut in the US in 1939. But this Carmine Balance features the round ball short hump clip that was phased out in the US in 1934-5. This is to say nothing of the two-toned "Made in Canada" nib, which resembles a Feather Touch nib but is marked 5-30 (a marking phased out in the early 30s as well). All of this makes for a rather unusual pen, one that combines the most attractive trimmings of the Balance over the course of its production IMHO. So scarce is this pen that I'd be willing to bet you won't find another like it for sale on any online storefront. But all of this may register as nothing more than esoterica to anyone but the most devoted Sheaffer nut. In any case, it's a very pretty pen and another delightful writer. The 14k nib lays down a smooth and consistent M line (see writing sample). Condition: very good. Both this pen and the next have professional, heat-stamped engravings on the barrels, which are mostly worn away (see [photo](https://imgur.com/a/bRXHHoS). They're subtle, but detectable if you're looking for them. The nickel plating on the clip is clean, but there's a small spot of brassing on lever and half the cap band shows significant brassing (last photo shows the worst of it). Cap band spins but rests securely in its groove. There is also some wear to the platinum masking on the nib near the tip. These flaws have been factored into the price. Apart from the personalization, the celluloid retains a smooth and lustrous finish and the Canadian imprint remains sharp, deep, and fully-legible. Price: $120 SOLD

8. 1930s Canadian Balance 5-30 (Jet Black, NPT, lever filler, 14k XXF nib). Full-length, standard girth model, measuring 5.5" capped. Another scarce Balance 5-30 variant from Canada (cf. #7 above), this one with a peculiar, WASP-like clip that's known to crop up from time to time (WASP was a sub-brand of the W.A. Sheaffer Company). Like the pen above it, this full-sized Balance features reverse-trim (full-sized black American Balances appear in catalogues only with gold-plated trim). Canadian 14k 5-30 nib lays down a smooth and consistent XXF line (see writing sample). The nib shows no signs of ever having been two-tone and its imprint is slightly different than that of the other Canadian Balance above. My guess is that this nib was monotone from the factory, not that the masking has entirely worn away. Condition: Like #7, this pen has a professional, heat-stamped engravings on the barrel, which is mostly worn away (see [photo](https://imgur.com/a/bRXHHoS). Nikle plating shows significant scratching on the clip and cap band and some brassing to the center of the lever. Apart from the personalization, the celluloid retains a smooth and lustrous finish and the Canadian imprint remains sharp, deep, and fully-legible. Price: $75 $65

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shipping: To CONUS locations buyer may opt for either:

• USPS First-Class with tracking for $4;
• USPS Priority with tracking for $8.

Please contact me for shipping quote if located overseas (delivery confirmation required).

Order, Payment, & Guarantee: Pens are placed on hold for the first person to PM me with firm request to purchase, to which I’ll reply with payment details. If I haven't received Paypal payment within 24 hrs, then they become available to the next person. All pens are guaranteed to be in the condition in which I've described them. If I've missed something or the filling mechanism is not fully functional, the buyer may contact me up to 7 days after receiving the pen for a full refund (issued once I receive the pen back in the same condition as sold). I've sold pens online for over a decade. Please check my past listings here as well as on the classifieds and historical sales forums on FPN (username: Estragon) for some of my previous offerings.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

popcod
October 7th, 2018, 03:23 PM
prices reduced on remaining pens