PDA

View Full Version : Montblanc meisterstuck mozart set

bestyandere
October 2nd, 2018, 06:59 PM
Comes with FP, BP, and mechanical pencil with leather carrying case. Looking for $450 shipped. Prefer paypal https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181003/d9b846379c51b579c1128131add61e65.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181003/b7f9b4851fc2d132b2dd46b1f5c57057.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181003/d9aec95a9aa309c699da90135eb75418.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181003/31c0122adf9912790bc75b1eee789224.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181003/1e0715ce765f87fbbe1e5ed912580fdd.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181003/2203db0ca4c78c04a986089a65aae007.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181003/8e9e32c0ae578010a20e2561a8b025cc.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181003/7a36d5c76015482f2f1f47c71b52b502.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181003/75981ed626a6e991b4dadafb0069ba02.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

KBeezie
October 2nd, 2018, 10:06 PM
Why is the cap unscrewed like that?

Far as value, generally speaking unless it's rare, I see the starting price for used (or disassembled) to be 30% off retail, then down from there depending on grade

A starting point for MSRP : https://www.montblanc.com/en-us/collection/writing-instruments/meisterstueck/107706-meisterstueck-platinum-line-hommage-a-wa-mozart-fountain-.html

(ebay and other market places can be another guesstimation, by doing a search of sold listings and looking at the bulk of the green colored prices, then factor in the condition)

bestyandere
October 2nd, 2018, 11:04 PM
I was told people would want to see the insides of em. The condition is excellent I think. No wear and tear, don't even think the fountain pen was ever used but I'm no expert. They were my step dad's and he passed recently so we need money for expenses

Chrissy
October 3rd, 2018, 12:11 AM
I can't understand why all of the caps are unscrewed like that. :confused: They are definitely not meant to be unscrewed by end users at all. I believe I can see a split in the plastic BP sheath in the last picture. This is the type of thing that happens when pens are disassembled like this.

It's essential that the FP clip is positioned so that it lines up with the nib when the cap is posted on the end of the barrel. Now it's been taken apart is that the case?

Sorry, but I wouldn't buy them for any price after they had been disassembled. :shocked:

bestyandere
October 3rd, 2018, 01:21 AM
Damn. It's not hard to see I'm a complete noob. I was told that I should take em apart to show the insides, now I have to check if I cracked it or not. Any other tips would be extremely helpful

KBeezie
October 3rd, 2018, 01:30 AM
Fountain Pens (especially high end pens) should never be disassembled by an end user, they're not designed to be self-serviced. Not sure who gave you that advice tho.

I do know that MontBlanc typically has a lifetime warranty on their pens, least in the US. When in doubt contact one of their service centers see what it would take to get them serviced and cleaned. From there you'll have a much better time trying to get a good price on them especially if they been serviced (and authenticated) by MontBlanc.

Since they have serial numbers they're likely from after 1991, older vintage models I would more likely trust in the hand of a private restoration expert.

Edit : By the way to see the inside of the clip suggestion is only if they have a "PIX" text on the inside of the clip, which is usually just angled to show in photos instead of removing the clip. If there's no "PIX" or "LAITON" text on the inside then there's no reason to show the inside of the clip. A lot of people look for the "PIX" on the inside of the clip when trying to figure out if it's a fake Montblanc or not (in regards to like 146/149, which if either are cartridge/converter pens, then they are clearly fake, but a Mozart is a cartridge/converter pen to begin with). The Absence of the text inside the clip doesn't always mean anything.

bestyandere
October 3rd, 2018, 03:22 AM
It has pix on the clip.
Fountain Pens (especially high end pens) should never be disassembled by an end user, they're not designed to be self-serviced. Not sure who gave you that advice tho.

I do know that MontBlanc typically has a lifetime warranty on their pens, least in the US. When in doubt contact one of their service centers see what it would take to get them serviced and cleaned. From there you'll have a much better time trying to get a good price on them especially if they been serviced (and authenticated) by MontBlanc.

Since they have serial numbers they're likely from after 1991, older vintage models I would more likely trust in the hand of a private restoration expert.

Edit : By the way to see the inside of the clip suggestion is only if they have a "PIX" text on the inside of the clip, which is usually just angled to show in photos instead of removing the clip. If there's no "PIX" or "LAITON" text on the inside then there's no reason to show the inside of the clip. A lot of people look for the "PIX" on the inside of the clip when trying to figure out if it's a fake Montblanc or not (in regards to like 146/149, which if either are cartridge/converter pens, then they are clearly fake, but a Mozart is a cartridge/converter pen to begin with). The Absence of the text inside the clip doesn't always mean anything.

Triaed
October 3rd, 2018, 08:27 AM
Well, attempting to answer your question directly I would say:
Fountain: $300
BP: $150
Pencil: $150
assuming that they are in good condition and with a full kit. You'll need to adjust down if there are any cosmetic or functional defects. You should also consider price adjustments if you want to sell all together or piecemeal. Lastly, some buyers may have access to better prices due to their personal experience and relationships, you may be offered a different price regardless of what you think the fair value is.
Good luck with the sale!

Chrissy
October 3rd, 2018, 09:14 AM
I would recommend checking out ebay for prices of "Sold Listings."

That would give you a good idea of prices they have actually fetched on there during the last 3 months

Annamarsc
October 3rd, 2018, 10:34 AM
If the cap is cracked and the pen has been taken apart, I don’t think $300 is a fair price for the Mozart set. I can get it brand new from certain authorized retailers for about $435. This would mean nib of choice and 2 year warranty.

bestyandere
October 3rd, 2018, 10:48 AM
K so I checked out the "crack". It's not cracked at all. The pens are still in excellent shape, at least to my eyes. But I'd defer that to the fine folks here. I'll adjust the price but it seems the price u gave was spot on. Should i just erase this post and make a new thread?

bestyandere
October 3rd, 2018, 10:51 AM
The cap isn't cracked. So ur telling me in excellent condition, that these 3 pieces with the leather case isn't worth $300?
If the cap is cracked and the pen has been taken apart, I don’t think $300 is a fair price for the Mozart set. I can get it brand new from certain authorized retailers for about $435. This would mean nib of choice and 2 year warranty.

Chrissy
October 3rd, 2018, 12:08 PM
I agree with this. :) Even if none of the internal caps look damaged, I would never trust them now they've been taken apart by someone other than Montblanc. I wouldn't pay $300 for the set either - I would also pay more to buy them from an AD with warranty and choice of nib. :)

There is definitely a crack in the white plastic interior of the BP, at 12 o'clock, in the last picture.

bestyandere
October 3rd, 2018, 12:12 PM
It's not a crack.

I agree with this. :) Even if none of the internal caps look damaged, I would never trust them now they've been taken apart by someone other than Montblanc. I wouldn't pay $300 for the set either - I would also pay more to buy them from an AD with warranty and choice of nib. :)

There is definitely a crack in the white plastic interior of the BP, at 12 o'clock, in the last picture.

Chrissy
October 3rd, 2018, 02:19 PM
It's not a crack.

Fair enough.

Triaed
October 3rd, 2018, 05:47 PM

Crissy and Annamarsc
I'd like to point you to the sentence immediately after the price:
"assuming that they are in GOOD condition and with a full kit. You'll need to adjust DOWN if there are any cosmetic or functional defects"

In the end, it is up to the seller to set the initial price and to the market to react to it.

SM-G965W using Tapatalk

KBeezie
October 4th, 2018, 02:57 AM
You'll find that of many brands, Montblancs usually, regardless of their models, can have some of the more heated discussions when it comes to asking for their value to potential buyers.

Not something to take personally, just being one of the most counterfeited brands (just look at most MontBlanc sections on user groups and forums and count how many "Is this fake" questions that pop up), and also one of the brands often acquired for a status symbol, there's going to be a lot more resistance to get a desired price (especially now that there is an internet history of them having been taken apart by an end user).

Chrissy
October 4th, 2018, 04:22 AM
Crissy and Annamarsc
I'd like to point you to the sentence immediately after the price:
"assuming that they are in GOOD condition and with a full kit. You'll need to adjust DOWN if there are any cosmetic or functional defects"

In the end, it is up to the seller to set the initial price and to the market to react to it.

SM-G965W using Tapatalk

No worries. Exactly as you said. :)

ajn108
November 10th, 2018, 11:43 AM
Are these still for sale?