PDA

View Full Version : Is Pelikan Blue-Black still banned in the States?

AzJon
October 6th, 2018, 03:47 PM
I see Vanness has a bottle and it pops up on Amazon. Is it suddenly available again? Did Pelikan change the formula?

Anyone? Bueller?

azkid
October 6th, 2018, 05:26 PM
A little background for those, like me, who had no idea:

Unfortunately, 4001 Blue-Black is not available in the United States and has not been since around 2011. *The reason for this now 5 year absence is in part due to the fact that the ink*includes an ingredient(s) that is not listed in the United States Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA). *That act stipulates that any*chemical substance, mixture, or article containing a chemical substance or mixture*(including microorganisms and mixtures) may be refused entry [into the United States] if it fails to comply with the TSCA, or is offered for entry in violation of section 5, 6, or 7 of the TSCA.

https://thepelikansperch.com/2016/04/20/pelikan-4001-blue-black-story/

I came into the hobby six months ago so I missed this.

Now I want to get some to try! :)

AzJon
October 6th, 2018, 10:14 PM

Unfortunately, 4001 Blue-Black is not available in the United States and has not been since around 2011. *The reason for this now 5 year absence is in part due to the fact that the ink*includes an ingredient(s) that is not listed in the United States Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA). *That act stipulates that any*chemical substance, mixture, or article containing a chemical substance or mixture*(including microorganisms and mixtures) may be refused entry [into the United States] if it fails to comply with the TSCA, or is offered for entry in violation of section 5, 6, or 7 of the TSCA.

Indeed. I found it at the above mentioned places and on eBay as well direct from Germany. Now, given its semi-legendary status, I really want to try it. I just wonder if this is a new formulation, the States relaxed their rules, or its NOS.

Runnin_Ute
October 6th, 2018, 10:58 PM
Unless the formulation has changed and I don't think it has, you could always get it. Pelikan just isnt formally importing it into the US. I don't know where Vanness gets their inventory. Probably not Chartpak (US distributor for Pelikan).

The US was a relatively small market I imagine for 4001 Blue Black. So why reformulate for one market?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The Good Captain
October 7th, 2018, 01:37 AM
4001 is still my favourite ink of all time but of course, residing in the UK supply has never been a problem. Hope you get hold of some soon.

Stickler
October 7th, 2018, 02:53 PM
If anyone needs some, I go back and forth between the UK and the US all the time. I could carry some home.

Chrissy
October 7th, 2018, 04:12 PM
I've also seen it available on Amazon.com from time to time. You can sometimes find it available on Amazon.de with reasonable shipping to the US. :)

azkid
October 7th, 2018, 06:19 PM
I see that fountainfeder.eu carries it and their shipping was reasonable when I ordered a few weeks ago.

AzJon
October 8th, 2018, 09:11 AM
I'll have to put some in the lineup. Just acquired some older Montblanc blue-black IG, which I'm pretty stoked about. :)

Lloyd
October 8th, 2018, 06:12 PM
How does this compare to ESSRI?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hawk
October 8th, 2018, 07:39 PM
We bought the ink through FPG this year from a person living in an Eastern Europe.

AzJon
October 10th, 2018, 03:38 PM
Well, as it turns out, I will be going to Germany this coming March.

I can pick some up there. :)

On that note, I know Pelikan has a headquarters in Switzerland, is that just a corporate office or and actual facility? Anyone know?

jmccarty3
October 10th, 2018, 06:59 PM
I got some from Pendemonium some time back. It's the only ink that's been able to tame my wet Wahl-Eversharp Decoband Superflex nib.

maddington
October 11th, 2018, 02:37 AM
I echo Pendemonium as a resource. They import the iron gall Pelikan Blue-Black and had several bottles at the Dallas pen show a couple of weeks back. According to their website, they still have stock: http://www.pendemonium.com/Pelikan.html.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sid the Cat
March 15th, 2019, 04:22 PM
The government wants to protect you from raw-milk cheese as well.

inklord
March 16th, 2019, 09:29 AM
... why is this ink so "legendary"? it's in my (limited) experience a blue(ish) grey(ish) black(ish) ink with poor shelf life (my 5 year old bottle is simply dark grey now, though being stored in total darkness in a cool place), the ink is extremely dry and, well why? R&K "Salix" easily fills that niche, as do a number of other IG inks, not to mention pigmented inks.

inklord
March 16th, 2019, 09:35 AM
Well, as it turns out, I will be going to Germany this coming March.

I can pick some up there. :)

On that note, I know Pelikan has a headquarters in Switzerland, is that just a corporate office or and actual facility? Anyone know?

... just offices as far as i know, in the tiny community of Feusisberg (population less than 6000). probably a tax fraud effort to be outside of EU jurisdiction :)

calamus
March 17th, 2019, 07:13 PM
So why is 4001 banned in the US but other IG inks readily available?

countrydirt
March 17th, 2019, 07:16 PM

The information is in post #2 of this thread.

junglejim
March 17th, 2019, 11:45 PM
Calamus, last time I checked (yesterday) Vanness still has 4ml samples available. No bottles, unfortunately.

All the Best.

calamus
March 18th, 2019, 08:55 AM

The post doesn't mention it, but the linked article does mention a banned unnamed substance in the ink, presumably something other than IG. Wonder what it is.

calamus
March 18th, 2019, 09:08 AM
Thank you kindly Mr. junglejim. I don't plan to buy any IG content inks any time soon. However, I do see Pelikan Blue-Black 4001 on eBay pretty often.

BTW, are you anywhere near SLO? I love that whole Pismo Beach to Morro Bay area.

countrydirt
March 18th, 2019, 10:11 AM

The post doesn't mention it, but the linked article does mention a banned unnamed substance in the ink, presumably something other than IG. Wonder what it is.

Probably something that will make your children be born naked or bare-footed or something.

Kulprit
March 26th, 2019, 06:37 PM
I’ve had the misfortune of running headlong into the TSCA. Often, it’s not a matter of a chemical or substance actually being toxic, rather it’s simply a matter of that substance not appearing on an “approved” list.

I suspect that Pelikan (or, rather, their US distributor) simply can’t be bothered to go through the expense of getting “ingredient X” tested and approved just so they can bring one shade of ink into what is, admittedly, a very small market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AzJon
March 26th, 2019, 09:40 PM
... why is this ink so "legendary"? it's in my (limited) experience a blue(ish) grey(ish) black(ish) ink with poor shelf life (my 5 year old bottle is simply dark grey now, though being stored in total darkness in a cool place), the ink is extremely dry and, well why? R&K "Salix" easily fills that niche, as do a number of other IG inks, not to mention pigmented inks.

I grabbed a few bottles recently and just inked up a pen. I find the color very nice, actually.

My personal desire for it is that the 4001 inks work very well in my vintage Pelikan that is a fire-hydrant otherwise. Salix is fine, but so dry that it can make even the smoothest nibs have feedback.

I only said "semi-legendary" because it was (relatively) loved (once upon a time in america) for its safe use in pens and its permanence. Now, it being no longer imported, is hard to find domestically (indeed, even Vanness only carries it if they happen to get some bottles brought over). Of course, online retailers make that all but a moot point.

manoeuver
March 27th, 2019, 02:06 PM
no justice no peace.

Baisao
November 3rd, 2020, 08:48 PM
no justice no peace.

Now that was a prescient post!

azkid
November 3rd, 2020, 10:12 PM
I am thinking about ordering some from fountainfeder.de

guyy
November 4th, 2020, 04:32 AM
Pendomonium down Arizona was selling it this spring.

NumberSix
November 5th, 2020, 09:19 PM
I ordered it from Endlesspens.com a few months back - they charged no more than any other 4001 ink.

FredRydr
November 6th, 2020, 07:02 AM
Has Pelikan been selling both IG and non-IG versions of blue-black simultaneously with labels that make them hard to distinguish (like Montblanc did a few years ago)?

Pterodactylus
November 6th, 2020, 08:38 AM
Has Pelikan been selling both IG and non-IG versions of blue-black simultaneously with labels that make them hard to distinguish (like Montblanc did a few years ago)?

As far as I know Pelikan Blue-Black was always an IG ink.

Spirit
November 7th, 2020, 04:33 AM
No, the closest non-IG would be Pelikan Edelstein Tanzanite.

Runnin_Ute
November 13th, 2020, 09:00 PM
I just picked up two bottles of Pelikan 4001 Blue Black from Cult Pens and had them shipped to me in the US. So still relatively easy to get, just have to wait a little longer.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk