PDA

View Full Version : Restoring Stickered Pens

RayCornett
October 11th, 2018, 07:49 PM
What are your methods for protecting the sticker/chalk marks?

Jon Szanto
October 11th, 2018, 08:27 PM
What are your methods for protecting the sticker/chalk marks?

Not restoring them, for starters. If I wanted those pens to remain in that untouched condition, I can't see why I would restore. If it was a pen with a sac or diaphragm I would remove all that material to prevent any degradation of the pen itself, give the pen the lightest of cleaning to remove any surface dust/dirt, and leave it at that.

For me (and maybe only that), a pen goes only one of two directions: into a collection for preservation, display and as an example, or into the group of users. If I had a stickered pen that - for whatever reason - was destined for use, I'd go all in: do a full restore and not necessarily preserve sticker/marks. If it was to be used, how much sense would it make to have that stuff on the pen? I have one pen that might be in the middle: a previously unused Argentine-made Parker 61, with chalk mark. This is such a magnificent pen and shown to be a great, great writer that I simply had to put it into my regular use. It is niche but not what I would consider ultra-rare, so I don't feel I've deprived the pen community at large of a significant piece.

Just my thoughts on all this, Ray.

RayCornett
October 11th, 2018, 08:37 PM
Thank you. It is just a Sheaffer Valiant Vac. I fully see your points. At least I think it needs a good exterior cleaning. The cap and barrel look a little grubby but otherwise it's NOS. As for the 61 I have a gold one made there as well and love it. No chalk marks but gorgeous condition and tipping like a bowling ball.lol

Chrissy
October 13th, 2018, 01:58 AM
If I had a stickered pen that - for whatever reason - was destined for use, I'd go all in: do a full restore and not necessarily preserve sticker/marks. If it was to be used, how much sense would it make to have that stuff on the pen?

I agree that if a pen is going to be used then there is no point in trying to preserve stickers/chalk marks on it.

I've tried keeping a sticker on a Montblanc that I use. It just wears away at the edges and looks awful. It's far easier to remove it before it degrades.

The last time I bought a pen from a Montblanc store, they removed the sticker without even asking me whether I wanted to keep it on there or not. :confused:

carlos.q
October 13th, 2018, 07:21 AM
Personally I think stickers are overrated. But then again I believe that flex is overrated so go figure.... :noidea:

Jon Szanto
October 13th, 2018, 11:15 AM
Personally I think stickers are overrated. But then again I believe that flex is overrated so go figure.... :noidea:

You are certainly welcome to that belief. However, if someone seeks to preserve the pen in that state (stickered) because of intended resale, they are being a smart person. You may find them overrated, but you simply can't argue with the fact that, more often than not, pens in this condition fetch higher prices when sold.