PDA

View Full Version : What nib?

Empty_of_Clouds
October 12th, 2018, 09:38 PM
So, as noted on another thread, this pen landed on my desk last week.
https://i.imgur.com/6T0u9v0l.jpg

Now, bit of quandary. It's currently sporting a steel Jowo#6 fine nib. Nothing wrong with that, it writes perfectly well. I don't care for the two-tone colour though. Was thinking about other grinds to go on this, just not sure what. FPNibs is the only place that I know where to get them. My choices are:

1. Semiflex fine or extra fine
2. A stub or italic
3. An architect's nib

I do have a couple of italic steel nibs and they are okay, demanding but useable. Never used an architect's nib so that would be a SITD.

I am wondering if anyone has combined the semiflex modification with an italic grind?

Thoughts and suggestions, or other places to buy?

Chrissy
October 13th, 2018, 02:11 AM
I like the two-tone nib, it picks out the colours in the pen. A steel one wouldn't look as nice. Maybe an all gold-plated one would.

I presume you selected the F nib version when you bought it, there's nothing wrong with it and it writes like a F nib should write.

Why start off by thinking about a different nib when you've just bought yourself a new pen? You've had plenty of nibs in the past that you haven't liked, that have eventually made you get rid of the pens they were in, so if I was you I would try to not go down that road again.

Enjoy it as it is and be happy with it. :)

Empty_of_Clouds
October 13th, 2018, 03:15 AM
When I embarked on the journey for this pen I decided on having a standard fine nib, and fully intended to swap it out at some point. That was the purpose of using the Jowo #6. Now it comes to it though I'm not entirely sure where to start.

My initial thought was to go for a plain 14k semi flexible nib. However, some of the reviews are a little unconvincing when weighed against spending $100 for a nib. I can grab a couple of other grinds in steel (with or without differing colouration) at the very good prices FPnibs.com offers, so it's not expensive to experiment that way.

Is there anyone else offering grinds on Jowo nibs that somebody here has experience with?

SIR
October 15th, 2018, 05:11 AM
Any #6 nib from Franklin Christoph, including those tuned by Mike Masuyama, will fit in place of a Jowo nib/unit.
:)

Farmboy
October 15th, 2018, 05:21 AM
You have had the worst possible luck with nibs being suitable as advertised, go with a standard fine or medium.

Empty_of_Clouds
October 15th, 2018, 01:23 PM
Any #6 nib from Franklin Christoph, including those tuned by Mike Masuyama, will fit in place of a Jowo nib/unit.

I don't think F-C are selling the Masuyama nibs separately anymore.

Empty_of_Clouds
October 15th, 2018, 01:29 PM
You have had the worst possible luck with nibs being suitable as advertised, go with a standard fine or medium.

As noted, the current nib was intended only as a place holder. Most of the other nibs I've not liked had characteristics that didn't suit me. The Parker lacked crispness, same goes for the Pelikan 400 with the BB nib. It would be much better if I could sit down with a nib expert who could tune an italic to my liking by watching how I write. Although there is a decent chance that I may be able to go to an American pen show next year - on the way the places beyond - as I understand it these nib experts are often booked out by more local people bringing fist's full of nibs with them, so I don't expect the opportunity to arise. Other than that it is all down to luck. I don't think any of you in the US really understand the logistical issues that we have to deal with over here.

catbert
October 15th, 2018, 04:41 PM

I don't think F-C are selling the Masuyama nibs separately anymore.

Weren't you disappointed by a Franklin-Christoph with a Masuyama nib, back in the mists of time?

Why not stick with fpnibs if you've been happy with their service to date?

Empty_of_Clouds
October 15th, 2018, 05:57 PM
I probably will, just asking if there were any other notable nib-fiddlers pumping out Jowo #6s.

And yes, to the other part.

dfo
October 16th, 2018, 10:49 AM
Fpnibs is the only nib-fiddler (I love this term and it will now added to my lexicon) I know of pumping out Jowo nibs. BTW, the pen is beautiful and I really like the section. Best of luck.

Dan

I probably will, just asking if there were any other notable nib-fiddlers pumping out Jowo #6s.

And yes, to the other part.

Kulprit
October 17th, 2018, 08:46 PM
I am wondering if anyone has combined the semiflex modification with an italic grind?

Thoughts and suggestions, or other places to buy?

I’ve not used one, but maybe look for a used F-C flexible SIG nib? I’ve seen one or two pop up here and elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

catbert
October 18th, 2018, 07:19 AM
Franklin-Christoph are auctioning the last of their 14K SIG nibs, including an EF flex (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Franklin-Christoph-Rouse-S-I-G-14K-FLEX-Extra-Fine-nib-unit/392149280906?hash=item5b4deb288a:g:eT8AAOSwfdNbxid Z:rk:2:pf:0) and an F flex (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Franklin-Christoph-Rouse-S-I-G-14K-FLEX-Fine-nib-unit/392149282467?hash=item5b4deb2ea3:g:eT8AAOSwfdNbxid Z:rk:1:pf:0), on eBay. Proceeds to benefit Jim Rouse's grandchildren.

Empty_of_Clouds
October 18th, 2018, 03:06 PM
The SIG nib raffle ended on the 2nd October. No problem. Pablo it is.

wingwiper
October 21st, 2018, 11:36 AM

agreed...............:big_boss:

Empty_of_Clouds
October 22nd, 2018, 06:01 PM
My wife was home on the weekend. She doesn't like either of my custom pens, so it looks like I will be selling them.

KBeezie
October 22nd, 2018, 06:11 PM
Thinking of how weird it would be to have a Architect Flex nib... (broad strokes across no matter what, but line variation from Fine up to Broad across depending on stroke pressure).

catbert
October 22nd, 2018, 06:35 PM
My wife was home on the weekend. She doesn't like either of my custom pens, so it looks like I will be selling them.

Your logic escapes me. (Unless those pens were for your wife?)

Still, sorry to hear this. You seemed to be on the verge of a collection that didn't entirely displease you.

Empty_of_Clouds
October 22nd, 2018, 10:44 PM
As they say in China 幸福的妻子幸福的生活 Happy wife, happy life. That's as much logic as there is in this.

In terms of nibs, the best ones I've used are modern Pilot nibs. Perhaps I am wrong to have any kind of ambition, no matter how small with respect to fountain pens, and should just walk the the main road.

We are visiting a US city next year on the way points far beyond, and I was hoping to take in my first and only pen show. Looks like I'll likely be changing that plan too.

dfo
October 23rd, 2018, 10:58 AM
I got rid of one vintage pen because my spouse was creeped out by it—so I understand to some extent.

I hope you do get a chance to get to go to a pen show and find the pen of your dreams.

KBeezie
October 23rd, 2018, 07:27 PM
I got rid of one vintage pen because my spouse was creeped out by it—so I understand to some extent.

I hope you do get a chance to get to go to a pen show and find the pen of your dreams.

I wonder how that works...

my current s/o oddly enough loves how much I sometimes "passionately nerd out about pens", lol. Not sure if that's a good or a bad thing, but she has her thing too and we're both bad about impulse spending so we're more than likely to inquire with each other on both things.

catbert
October 24th, 2018, 05:42 AM
As they say in China 幸福的妻子幸福的生活 Happy wife, happy life. That's as much logic as there is in this.

In terms of nibs, the best ones I've used are modern Pilot nibs. Perhaps I am wrong to have any kind of ambition, no matter how small with respect to fountain pens, and should just walk the the main road.

We are visiting a US city next year on the way points far beyond, and I was hoping to take in my first and only pen show. Looks like I'll likely be changing that plan too.

I hear you. I'm fortunate that the beloved tolerates (sometimes even encourages/enables) this relatively harmless obsession.

Here's hoping you find something at the pen show that pleases both of you. :)

dfo
October 24th, 2018, 11:59 AM
I wonder how that works...

my current s/o oddly enough loves how much I sometimes "passionately nerd out about pens", lol. Not sure if that's a good or a bad thing, but she has her thing too and we're both bad about impulse spending so we're more than likely to inquire with each other on both things.

My partner has ONE fountain pen and we share of a love of fine paper. I honestly think she could care less about the pens I own, though she doesn't understand why I need multiple expensive pens. MUhhhhahhha. One time in passing, she told me that a 1930s Canadian Sheaffer's fountain pen I owned creeped her out because of the smell and the grimy patina. It wasn't one of my favorites and I subsequently got rid of the pen. No weird power struggle was going on. It just helped me solidify my decision about the pen.