PDA

View Full Version : Sailor fountain pen FL / "For Lawyers"

VulcanVulcanVulcan
October 17th, 2018, 08:31 AM
I came across a Sailor Profit Realo (21K) that has an FL ("For Lawyers") designation: https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/nagasawa/item/n-realofl/

I can't really tell what the difference is with the standard Sailor line? Something to do with how the pen is weighted? Can someone elucidate?

The finish also looks glossier than on other Profit Realos, but I'm not sure.

SIR
October 17th, 2018, 12:05 PM
The FL has a metal section (the theory being, more weight at the writing point and thus less effort to write with for extended periods), as far as i know that is the only difference compared to a regular Realo.

Be aware, that particular example you have linked to has store specific/exclusive cap band branding and nib which may or may not be a deal breaker to you.

VulcanVulcanVulcan
October 17th, 2018, 04:15 PM
The FL has a metal section (the theory being, more weight at the writing point and thus less effort to write with for extended periods), as far as i know that is the only difference compared to a regular Realo.

Be aware, that particular example you have linked to has store specific/exclusive cap band branding and nib which may or may not be a deal breaker to you.

Thank you. I think I actually like the Nagasawa branding. Do you know if the FL thing actually makes a difference?

Kulprit
October 17th, 2018, 08:02 PM
Thank you. I think I actually like the Nagasawa branding. Do you know if the FL thing actually makes a difference?

I’ve never used one, but shifting the balance most definitely makes a difference. Whether that difference is a positive or negative one is entirely up to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SIR
October 18th, 2018, 02:35 AM
Do you know if the FL thing actually makes a difference?

I’ve never used one, but shifting the balance most definitely makes a difference. Whether that difference is a positive or negative one is entirely up to you.

Likewise no experience of use by me, but i'd agree with Kulprit's assessment - some people like heavier sections (and heavier pens in general), some don't.

If you didn't want the Nagasawa branding they might be willing to swap the nib and cap for you, but it'd be a bit of an ask.

Barry B. Gabay
October 18th, 2018, 08:48 AM
Very nice model: Realo with metal section & unique nib. Would love to try it. Sometimes a metal section does enhance comfort for me.

Ahriman4891
October 18th, 2018, 09:09 AM
Interesting. I like nose-heavy pens, and to me the non-Realo Sailors feel well-balanced thanks to the brass core around which everything else is built. The Realo does not have any metal within, (http://kmpn.blogspot.com/2009/09/sailor-1911-realo.html) so I guess the metal grip section is meant to restore the balance.

Wile E Coyote
October 18th, 2018, 11:49 AM
It's a shame it only comes in XF, F, MF & M.

Daniel K
November 16th, 2018, 07:38 PM
This seems not to be the large size version. Is there a full size version of the FL edition?

Thanks!

EDIT: Nevermind, it is large. In fact, there are no small or slim 1911 Realo (Piston filler) anyways.

ilikenails
December 26th, 2018, 07:17 AM
I came across a Sailor Profit Realo (21K) that has an FL ("For Lawyers") designation: https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/nagasawa/item/n-realofl/

I can't really tell what the difference is with the standard Sailor line? Something to do with how the pen is weighted? Can someone elucidate?

The ad says

It is a pen can write by Univ. devised by Mr. Kawaguchi pen doctor fit the brass before the center of gravity low pressure.
To take bar exam, such as for ineffably thoughts or becomes a fountain pen, was developed.
Now become out of print in the sailor fountain pen, giving the original kazami chicken PEN where we had them reprinted.

...A kazami chicken is a sort of wind vane. So I hope that's clear now...

azkid
December 30th, 2018, 04:19 PM
Crystal clear. Yeah...

:D