PDA

View Full Version : Platinum 3776

southpaw52
October 17th, 2018, 09:52 AM
I have been reading reviews of how troublesome the nibs are on the 3776, that they require adjustments to write properly. Is this a common problem for all 3776?

SIR
October 17th, 2018, 11:48 AM
Only experience of owning one example, in my case the SF nib, but truly one of the best nibs I have ever used; required no adjustment out of the box and writes sublimely - very smooth.

Deb
October 17th, 2018, 01:16 PM
Only experience of owning one example, in my case the SF nib, but truly one of the best nibs I have ever used; required no adjustment out of the box and writes sublimely - very smooth.

I'll second that.

carlos.q
October 17th, 2018, 01:44 PM
I have had only one and it needed no adjustment whatsoever. However I sold the pen because I dislike the nib's feedback that makes it feel like you're writing with a pencil. This is my personal feelings for this nib and I know that many people adore the feedback.

jar
October 17th, 2018, 02:13 PM
I have four #3776 fountain pens and none have needed nib adjustments.

Jon Szanto
October 17th, 2018, 02:15 PM
Don't believe everything you read. Pens (and nibs) have differing qualities and while there are some total dogs out there, the 3776 series is not in the canine realm. I've had probably 10 of them over the years, and now am settled into 6 regulars, plus a Nakaya (which has essentially the same nib). This photo has come in handy when this topic comes up, because I only have one other 'family' of pens that rivals this number. These are here to stay.

https://i.imgur.com/gqBRWl3h.jpg

ambimom
October 17th, 2018, 03:57 PM
Mine wrote superbly out of the box -- no adjustments necessary. If you buy one that requires extensive fiddling, unless it's used, send it back and get a new one. It's a great pen and it never dries up if you don't use it for a while. Platinum says it can go for two years. I believe them. I sometimes leave it unused for weeks at a time, but it flows like a champ as soon as it's uncapped again.

Kulprit
October 17th, 2018, 07:59 PM
I’ve owned five and still have four. One needed a little smoothing but the tines were perfectly adjusted. The other four were perfect out of the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldsalt
October 17th, 2018, 08:50 PM
Mine was perfect out of the box

KrazyIvan
October 17th, 2018, 09:35 PM
Like others, I have only had one and it was a super smooth writer requiring no adjustment at all. Mine was a double broad.

wingwiper
October 17th, 2018, 10:03 PM
I have been reading reviews of how troublesome the nibs are on the 3776, that they require adjustments to write properly. Is this a common problem for all 3776?

I have a slew of them......no issues whatsever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stub
October 18th, 2018, 03:12 AM
Have had 6 of them. Still have 4. All were stellar right out of the box.

amk
October 18th, 2018, 03:44 AM
I have seven 3776s. No, eight: got a new Sai recently. And while the 3776 nibs are not my favourite nibs in the world, none of them have ever been faulty. They're a bit intolerant of the drier inks, so I'm choosy with the inks I use in them. And they do give a bit of feedback, which isn't unpleasant for the fine nib - on the other hand, they never, ever seem to pick up fibres from the paper - you couldn't call them scratchy. (I have had scratchy nibs. They drive me up the wall.)

I have to say that if I had to choose between Platinum and a big bouncy Pelikan or Lamy gold nib, it might not go Platinum's way. But the world is big enough for both and it's refreshing to have a change of style now and again.

PS. I have nine. I forgot the Yamanaka!

Deb
October 18th, 2018, 05:35 AM
I've had one for three years during which time it has been in almost constant use. It's a soft fine. It requires a light touch but if you're writing with fountain pens you should have developed that anyway. Given that, it's the perfect writer.

titrisol
October 18th, 2018, 06:59 AM
I only have exeprience with 1, a SF nib which was above my ability as a pen user
Great pen, was a bit too dry for me but that was me, not the pen! the F nibs from platinum are a lot finer than the german ones
It is more an issue of the user getting used to the pen that ontherwise

Check this thread:
http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/311370-is-my-platinum-3776-faulty-or-it-is-expected/

KBeezie
October 21st, 2018, 09:28 PM
I've owned three Platinum Century 3776, two of them brand new in the box from Japan (ordered thru Rakuten from the Bunkidou seller, both were about the 75$ to 90$ price range shipped depending on exchange rate), and one of them was second hand from someone who got it off nibs.com (which is usually tuned and checked by the shop before it is sent out unless you tell them not to).

I had the SF, M, and FM nib, the SF was a bit toothy which was to be expected but not horrible, it did work, but there were nicer soft nibs than that (mostly vintage leaning, and I prefered a pilot's SEF on a falcon to it).

The Medium nib had a slight drag depending on the ink, but put down a nice consistent line and didn't skip, but wasn't as nice as the 18K Medium in a Platinum PTL-10,000 (like a thicker more elegant version of a PTL-5,000) which runs about the same price. The 18K M on the PTL-10K was smoother/wetter (most of their 18K nibs in the skinnier pens seem like they tend to be wetter than the 14K in the Century 3776s)

The FM was perfect for me out of the three, and could be because Mottishaw tuned it, but it was just the right wetness, didn't skip, perfectly aligned, had the typical feedback you'd expect of most platinum nibs.

All three didn't have any major issues with the nibs out of the box, was more a personal preference thing and appeared to be up to factory specs from what I heard from others.