PDA

View Full Version : First pen show (probably)

Empty_of_Clouds
October 24th, 2018, 03:21 AM
Well, it looks like I will be having a long trip back to the UK next year. As neither my wife nor I relish 30 hours of travel all in one rush, we have decided to stop off in the US for a couple or three days. And I thought I could arrange this to coincide with a pen show. The chances of this happening again are vanishingly small.

Anyway, we had originally planned to go late April/early May, which would mean taking in the Chicago show. Although technically we are free to choose our dates, due to various work commitments and study (for me) it looks as though we will now be travelling in late August, so it would seem that the San Francisco show would be a better fit. 'Sides which SF is probably going to be more to my wife's liking (by the sea, famous China town area, generally more tourist oriented than Chicago I guess).

So, given that I will most likely only be able to attend the show on one day, which day is best? Bearing in mind that I have no idea what to expect and that I am not coming to look for anything specific. I understand that there is almost no chance to attend any calligraphy classes, so this will be more of a look-see and an opportunity to pick up pens and take notes on sizes and finishes and so on.

Also, as we won't know anybody, is there a kind of 'floor plan' of how the stalls are set out?

Any advice appreciated.

manoeuver
October 24th, 2018, 09:23 AM
The San Fran show is awesome, and a great choice if you're only going to make one show next year.

This year they had a large map/floor plan onsite that was easy to read. I do not know if it's available online beforehand, but you can find 2018's floor plan (https://www.sfpenshow.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Show_Map_2018_V2.pdf) at the show website (https://www.sfpenshow.com/).

Double check with the organizers (awesome people) about daily admission, I don't remember the specifics on the rates or availability and that info isn't up on the site anymore.

As with most any show, Saturday is the busiest day, Sunday is usually considerably calmer, with many dealers willing to make deals.

hope you make it!

Empty_of_Clouds
November 3rd, 2018, 04:42 AM
It's likely to be the only opportunity (barring a big lottery win!) that I get to go to a pen show.

Busy is not a problem, but does that mean that on Sunday all the good stuff has gone, and that's why it is quieter? What about earlier days, as I hear some shows run Thursday to Sunday (not sure if this happens at SF)? Admission prices are not a concern, I'd even pay for every day admission and only attend for one half day if it happens to be the best day to do so.

As noted above the reason for the visit is to be able to document pen sizes and fit for my hands. I will not be able to buy any ink unless I wish to ship it (not going to lug it around Europe with us), and I doubt that I'll be able to afford any pens whilst there, considering the continuing uptick in prices. The custom makers are out of bounds, so at least that narrows the focus somewhat. And I don't really want to meet anyone given the largely negative view people here (who may also attend) have of me. So having a paper/e-guide would be useful. I see nothing on the website yet, though it is obviously some months away!

Empty_of_Clouds
November 13th, 2018, 11:37 PM
Clarifying questions.

Are there any drop-in classes?

Do pen shows publish a list of vendors?

How early is this published (if at all)?

Is there a recommend selection of vendors that have 'must see' tables for a one-time visitor?

What are Americans like in person? :) (I've travelled extensively over most of the world in the last 30 years, but have spent only transfer time in the US)

I guess what I am asking here is, given a limited amount of time (likely just a couple of hours) should I have a viewing plan? I don't know how chaotic a show is in terms of volume of people. Jostling for a glimpse of something is not my thing, English politeness prevents me from shouldering my way to the front. Would this mean that I will miss out on a lot of stuff?

EDIT: ooh, forgot one thing. Do attendees have to pay by a certain deadline, or can they pay on the door?

junglejim
November 14th, 2018, 12:58 AM
Here EoC, try these articles from Richard Binder on attending your first show and what to expect.

Linky: http://www.richardspens.com/ref/shows/firstshow.htm

All the Best.

stub
November 14th, 2018, 01:11 AM
What are Americans like in person? :) (I've travelled extensively over most of the world in the last 30 years, but have spent only transfer time in the US)

There are almost as many ways to be American as there are Americans being it.

There is no easy answer to this without essentialising and being reductive. Plus there are regional & subcultural differences.
325 Million of them, all with different ways of being in the world.
& of course with 325 million, statistically speaking, there are going to be some awful people and also many astoundingly kind and generous people & everything between.
Keep an open mind. Be nice. Most will be nice back at you.

-

Empty_of_Clouds
November 14th, 2018, 02:41 AM
Here EoC, try these articles from Richard Binder on attending your first show and what to expect.

All the Best.

Just read all of those articles and they are quite off-putting. So much so that I am seriously in doubt about going at all. I just wanted to look around.

stub
November 14th, 2018, 02:46 AM

All the Best.

Just read all of those articles and they are quite off-putting. So much so that I am seriously in doubt about going at all. I just wanted to look around.

One guy's take. You don't have to like, or agree or conform with anyone's advice.

The more reasonable reaction would not be cancelation but just to disregard the advice.

The thing I truly wish to say here to you, I will just say to myself. As it involves exasperation and massive profanity.

You really are trying, difficult and too fragile FOR THE PEN WORLD (!?!). Honestly. Get a grip.

Empty_of_Clouds
November 14th, 2018, 03:00 AM
Richard Binder isn't just "one guy" though, is he?

Thing is, we have to stopover somewhere in the US to break our journey into bearable chunks (I'm getting too old for 24 hour flights). It's not like there's an agenda regarding the pen show, we can just as easily spend the day in Chinatown or sitting by the Bay. Binder's description is not encouraging.

You really are trying, difficult and too fragile FOR THE PEN WORLD. Honestly. Get a grip.

In real life I'm actually a gentle, quietly spoken person. Quick to smile, and often a bit baffled why anyone would want to talk with me. Totally different to the online "persona", where I feel I have to be "tougher" to avoid being exploited.

stub
November 14th, 2018, 03:06 AM
I am sure you have lots of wonderful qualities but you see how cancelling your long planned visit based on one person's advice (advice that you need not follow) is kind of ridiculous?

Maybe talk to a few more folks. Maybe toughen up a little. Maybe find your own way in the world? I honestly wonder how you get through your day.

Why would anyone want to talk to you? Well because you are a person and people are interesting & you share some concerns and interests with others who like pens, writing and calligraphy.

I am down with being self-deprecation. I am prone to darkness and such myself but you take it too far. Think you need to be reflexive about it.

Empty_of_Clouds
November 14th, 2018, 03:13 AM
I think you're overlooking the fact that the planned visit is to San Francisco as a rest stop on the journey to the UK. Assuming that the flight connections are okay we will be in the city regardless of whether the pen show was going on. Originally we were going to stop in Chicago but figured SF would be a little more tourist-friendly.

stub
November 14th, 2018, 03:33 AM
I think you're overlooking the fact that the planned visit is to San Francisco as a rest stop

okay. In any case whether you go to the SF pen show or not enjoy your stop-over. I still think you are overthinking this pen show biz but honestly you just do you. I wish you safe travels.

Empty_of_Clouds
November 14th, 2018, 03:37 AM
Perhaps I should stop over in Seoul on the return trip? :rolleyes:

stub
November 14th, 2018, 03:48 AM
Perhaps I should stop over in Seoul on the return trip? :rolleyes:

Shout out & let me know.

Nothing much pen related worth coming here for but so much else. Good eats too. I split my time between Seoul and Daegu during the semester but if I am there when you pass through I can show you about.

Chrissy
November 14th, 2018, 05:43 AM
Clarifying questions.
I guess what I am asking here is, given a limited amount of time (likely just a couple of hours) should I have a viewing plan? I don't know how chaotic a show is in terms of volume of people. Jostling for a glimpse of something is not my thing, English politeness prevents me from shouldering my way to the front. Would this mean that I will miss out on a lot of stuff?

I may have read this wrong, but I hope you aren't planning to visit a pen show in SF during a two hour connection time for your onward flight. That would be absolutely impossible. It would still be absolutely impossible with a five hour connection. You will need at least an overnight stay in SF, if you want to visit the SF pen show.
Wherever an "alien" first lands in the US, they have to first go through immigration, say at least one hour, depending on airport, time of day and time of year. Then they have to collect their luggage and go through security for a connecting flight, say at least one hour, depending on the same factors. This is a quirk of the US. "Aliens" must collect their luggage when they first land on US soil, even when on a connecting flight. They then have to take that luggage to a designated place for the onward flight. As far as the UK is concerned, the minimum connection time for flights that land in the US is 4 hours. It might take that long to get through immigration and security.
If you are anticipating a two hour connection time, you will need to be able to run fast and have special assistance. I can't do it within two hours at Atlanta and I have wheelchair assistance.

migo984
November 14th, 2018, 06:46 AM
I may have read this wrong, but I hope you aren't planning to visit a pen show in SF during a two hour connection time for your onward flight. That would be absolutely impossible. It would still be absolutely impossible with a five hour connection. You will need at least an overnight stay in SF, if you want to visit the SF pen show.
Wherever an "alien" first lands in the US, they have to first go through immigration, say at least one hour, depending on airport, time of day and time of year. Then they have to collect their luggage and go through security for a connecting flight, say at least one hour, depending on the same factors. This is a quirk of the US. "Aliens" must collect their luggage when they first land on US soil, even when on a connecting flight. They then have to take that luggage to a designated place for the onward flight. As far as the UK is concerned, the minimum connection time for flights that land in the US is 4 hours. It might take that long to get through immigration and security.
If you are anticipating a two hour connection time, you will need to be able to run fast and have special assistance. I can't do it within two hours at Atlanta and I have wheelchair assistance.

Going by his original post I think EoC is planning a longer stopover, which may coincide with a pen show.

.........we have decided to stop off in the US for a couple or three days.

Farmboy
November 14th, 2018, 09:12 AM
Any event, pen shows included, are what you make of them.

Empty_of_Clouds
November 14th, 2018, 10:41 AM
Yeah, it's a 2-3 day stop, but my wife will be with me and she has no interest in fountain pens.

Ah, another question that I forgot to ask. On the webpage for the SF show this year it does not show the prices of entry, and next year's prices aren't displayed either. Does anyone recall what the rates are please?

Farmboy
November 14th, 2018, 10:08 PM
All show pass 60
Friday 1-5 is 25
Saturday or Sunday 10-close is 10

But some guy said he would leave a Saturday pass for you at the desk.

There are usually a number of art type classes on Saturday as well as other activities nonpeners can enjoy.

Empty_of_Clouds
November 15th, 2018, 04:07 AM
Hmm, all show is 60, but Fri+Sat +Sun is 25+10+10=45. Odd math.

Okay cool. Gives me an additional savings target to budget for in the whole trip cost.

Chrissy
November 15th, 2018, 04:58 AM
All show pass 60
Friday 1-5 is 25

Okay cool. Gives me an additional savings target to budget for in the whole trip cost.
Did you not spot what Farmboy said?

catbert
November 15th, 2018, 06:24 AM

Here: https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/26287-Conundrum?p=252429&viewfull=1#post252429

Chrissy
November 15th, 2018, 07:54 AM
All show pass 60
Friday 1-5 is 25

There are usually a number of art type classes on Saturday as well as other activities nonpeners can enjoy.

Here: https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/26287-Conundrum?p=252429&viewfull=1#post252429

So many started threads....

Empty_of_Clouds
November 15th, 2018, 12:23 PM
What's the problem? I have the information that was requested, and I can factor this in when arranging the trip (both for times and costs).

Chrissy
November 15th, 2018, 10:54 PM
No problem. Just mentioning the fact that you already have a ticket so you actually don't need to factor a ticket price in if you can go on Saturday.

Quote from Farmboy: But some guy said he would leave a Saturday pass for you at the desk.

Empty_of_Clouds
November 16th, 2018, 03:14 AM
Saw it. Didn't think it would be a very wise move for me to identify myself; given the general consensus of opinion of me on the forum (of people who may well be at the show). Best to keep a low profile.

Shane Cavitt
November 16th, 2018, 09:33 AM
You might possibly be the most exasperating person I have ever encountered. Every time I read one of your posts all I see is a picture of Eeyore or one of those cartoon characters who have a black cloud constantly hanging over their head. Do you really think that a crowd of people are going to be hanging out at the SF Pen Show waiting for the infamous EoC to pick up his free ticket just so they can accost you? That is not going to happen. Why does your mind always go to the worst possible outcome? Accept the generosity of others that is so often sent your way. Try and look at the positive side of things.

ethernautrix
November 16th, 2018, 11:36 AM
^^Eeyore.

Gotta admit. I've thought that, too. Not tryna pile on....

junglejim
November 16th, 2018, 12:23 PM
No worries, Shane. In my very short time here at fpgeeks, I enjoy clicking on EoC's threads in the same way bystanders slow down to look at a car accident. I know that 80% of the time the thread will wind-up as a Charlie-Foxtrot, 10% of the time it is simply innocuous, and 10% of the time EoC actually has some pretty good insights that I can learn from. Sometimes you have to sift through "a whole shitload of gravel and fines to find the rare gold nugget." (And often, it's pretty tiny.)

Empty_of_Clouds
November 16th, 2018, 01:10 PM
Glad to be of entertainment value. Working on those percentages.

In real life I'm a quiet, shy guy who abhors conflict or even bad language and raised voices. Online I fall prey to the "forum curse" whereby behaviour can often be the opposite of real life. Sorry about that.

catbert
November 16th, 2018, 04:48 PM
In fairness to the literary Eeyore (and it's been a while since I read it), I recall him being rather gracious and sensitive when a distressed Pooh and Piglet gave him their botched birthday presents (empty honey jar, burst balloon). Not just a one-note gloomy curmudgeon.

Empty_of_Clouds
November 18th, 2018, 03:49 AM
Looks like organising flights to go via SF shouldn't be a big problem, :) but currently hemming and hawing about dividing our "in the US time" between SF and Boston now.

Likely to be a bit random of course... weather, other attractions to visit, wife's whims etc.

Chemyst
November 18th, 2018, 04:46 AM
Looks like organising flights to go via SF shouldn't be a big problem, :) but currently hemming and hawing about dividing our "in the US time" between SF and Boston now.

Likely to be a bit random of course... weather, other attractions to visit, wife's whims etc.

Boston will be much warmer than SF in August. It will also be much more of a mad house in late August as all the students return and try to move into their accommodations while navigating the maze of one-way colonial cow paths that we call streets.

Personally, I’d recommend that if want to visit Boston, and are not just looking for a convenient layover, you visit in mid-October.

Empty_of_Clouds
November 19th, 2018, 02:10 AM
Another question.

Is it likely, at a pen show, that I would be able to replace the pens I foolishly sold in the last couple of years without having to take out a 2nd mortgage? I have no idea (obviously) how extensive (or not) the stock on display will be.

Chrissy
November 19th, 2018, 03:04 AM
Another question.

Is it likely, at a pen show, that I would be able to replace the pens I foolishly sold in the last couple of years without having to take out a 2nd mortgage? I have no idea (obviously) how extensive (or not) the stock on display will be.
That's a question that no-one can answer unless they are at the show, asking the sellers who are there, questions about your pen choices that you've changed your mind about in the past.

The sellers will get to the show with whatever stock of pens they currently have in their possession that they want to sell.

Empty_of_Clouds
November 19th, 2018, 03:48 AM
Yeah, stupid question really.

Here's a better one. Do the sellers allow the buyers to write test the pens?

Edit: Also, what overseas companies are likely to have displays?

penwash
November 19th, 2018, 09:37 AM
Do the sellers allow the buyers to write test the pens?

I do. I welcome visitors to my table to write with any of my pens.

But I'm not going to be at the SF pen show next year, so to answer your question, some vendors do allow and some don't but it is always okay for you as the show attendee to ask each vendor whether you can write test their pens or not.

Farmboy
November 20th, 2018, 09:52 AM
Yeah, stupid question really.

Here's a better one. Do the sellers allow the buyers to write test the pens?

Edit: Also, what overseas companies are likely to have displays?

Altec Green will start putting confirmed vendors on the show website soon.

Empty_of_Clouds
November 20th, 2018, 06:07 PM

But I'm not going to be at the SF pen show next year, so to answer your question, some vendors do allow and some don't but it is always okay for you as the show attendee to ask each vendor whether you can write test their pens or not.

At this rate, reading this and the other thread, I don't think I'll be going either. I'll be in SF and certain there are many alternative attractions with which to occupy our time.

amk
November 21st, 2018, 01:19 AM
Hey EOC, my tuppence worth; you should go to the pen show. Don't go with any expectation of buying a great pen or anything more than just seeing an interesting anthropological/sociological phenomenon. If you've never seen a pen show it will be of interest, but just don't lay too much expectation on it. I spent part of a long trip in India searching down fountain pens (and also bamboo flutes, professional quality). Sometimes I was lucky, sometimes not lucky, but the search took me to places most tourists don't go and introduced me to some lovely people, including one gent who talked English literature over endless cups of chai, and the confectionery vendors of Chanderi who soon adopted me and tried to make me nice and fat. Yes, I did find one or two fantastic pens but I also had great fun. So that's the way I'd say look at the pen show. Just go like a kid in a candy store and you'll be fine.

You should also see loads of other interesting stuff and enjoy SF.

Empty_of_Clouds
November 21st, 2018, 03:25 AM
Thank you, amk, for your thoughts on this. There was never an intention to buy anything, though one can never be certain until that day arrives! I am travelling with my wife, and spending time with her in SF is infinitely more significant than attending a display of old pens and stuff. My decision is firming up.

carlos.q
November 21st, 2018, 04:51 AM
EoC: you are very lucky you will get to go to a pen show. Like you, I live thousands of miles from any city that hosts a pen show, posse, meet up or anything like it.

You probably know this but sure to check out Richard Binder's article on pen shows: http://www.richardspens.com/ref/shows/firstshow.htm

stub
November 21st, 2018, 07:26 AM
You probably know this but sure to check out Richard Binder's article on pen shows: http://www.richardspens.com/ref/shows/firstshow.htm

https://media.giphy.com/media/Hvhx4i6Vq4vDO/giphy.gif

AzJon
November 21st, 2018, 10:10 AM
Something else to consider, EoC, is that while its called the San Francisco Pen Show is not actually in San Francisco proper, its in Redwood City, which is just south of San Francisco. That means you will need to organize transit from SFO to the pen show. SFO is also almost dead-center between Redwood City and China Town's location within SF.

Fortunately, you will be able to take the BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) from SFO to Redwood City and China Town (or very nearby). Other public transit will be required as well. Alternatively, you could rent a car for your time on the peninsula, especially if you want to get some ocean time.

Jon Szanto
November 21st, 2018, 10:44 AM
Something else to consider, EoC, is that while its called the San Francisco Pen Show is not actually in San Francisco proper, its in Redwood City, which is just south of San Francisco. That means you will need to organize transit from SFO to the pen show. SFO is also almost dead-center between Redwood City and China Town's location within SF.

Part of that is correct: the show is south of SFO. It's only about 5 miles or so, which means the show is actually closer to the airport than downtown SF and all the main SF attractions. BART is the preferred way into the city from there but going to the show would probably be better by Lyft/Uber. *Anything* is do-able, as there are a lot of transportation options.

AzJon
November 21st, 2018, 04:37 PM

Part of that is correct: the show is south of SFO. It's only about 5 miles or so, which means the show is actually closer to the airport than downtown SF and all the main SF attractions. BART is the preferred way into the city from there but going to the show would probably be better by Lyft/Uber. *Anything* is do-able, as there are a lot of transportation options.

Looks like 11 miles to the Pullman from SFO and 15 to Chinatown. Agreed about using Lyft/Uber to get to the hotel. You could also use Super Shuttle to get down there, too. Very reasonable, iirc.

Either way, knowing that the show is definitely not in the city is useful information to have beforehand.

Jon Szanto
November 21st, 2018, 08:19 PM
Looks like 11 miles to the Pullman from SFO and 15 to Chinatown. Agreed about using Lyft/Uber to get to the hotel. You could also use Super Shuttle to get down there, too. Very reasonable, iirc.

Either way, knowing that the show is definitely not in the city is useful information to have beforehand.

Ok, it seemed a lot closer (airport/venue). The other thing is that it isn't just raw miles but how congested it is! But, whatever, it's all doable for the adventurous. I know people that won't cross the street if it means broadening their horizons and others who trek the Himalayas. All humans differ to an extent.

Empty_of_Clouds
November 21st, 2018, 11:34 PM
EoC: you are very lucky you will get to go to a pen show. Like you, I live thousands of miles from any city that hosts a pen show, posse, meet up or anything like it.

Yes, I saw that article a while back. He makes the whole endeavour sound awful.

Academic anyway, we are not going to the show. The recent spiteful action of a person who is often lauded as a "decent person" tipped the balance of the decision. Despicable behaviour, and unethical.

We are going to go and enjoy Chinatown and a few other places in the area, and you know... talk to normal people.

Chrissy
November 22nd, 2018, 01:19 AM

Yes, I saw that article a while back. He makes the whole endeavour sound awful.

Academic anyway, we are not going to the show. The recent spiteful action of a person who is often lauded as a "decent person" tipped the balance of the decision. Despicable behaviour, and unethical.

We are going to go and enjoy Chinatown and a few other places in the area, and you know... talk to normal people.

You know EoC, after all 3 pages of this thread that you started, and all of the really helpful input many people have gone out of their way to put forward for you, even if I had thought that I would never have actually come on here and typed it for all to see. :(

Empty_of_Clouds
November 22nd, 2018, 02:06 AM
There's been some helpful information (for which I thank those who have offered it), and there has also been some stuff (here and off-forum) that has been quite depressing. On the balance of these things my decision will mean a more enjoyable visit for my wife and I (which is of course the main thing).

azkid
November 22nd, 2018, 08:03 AM
SF is one of my favorite cities thus far visited; I hope you and your wife enjoy it at least as as much as I have!

PS: I would love to hear about it when you return.

carlos.q
November 22nd, 2018, 08:27 AM

So you are letting the actions of one person deprive you of the rare opportunity to go to a pen show? I really can't understand this. But it's your choice.

However, and I say this with the utmost respect, please refrain in the future to complain about how far away you live, how you can't try out pens in person and why you are limitted to buying pens sight unseen. You have been given the opportunity to experience something new that many of us can only dream of. And you are choosing the "safe" way out. I sincerely hope you never regret this decision.

Chrissy
November 22nd, 2018, 10:16 AM
I've been to San Francisco, and specifically Chinatown. With the greatest of respect, I thought it was missable, and if there had been a pen show when I was there, it would certainly have looked like a much better option.

Empty_of_Clouds
November 22nd, 2018, 10:56 AM
Most of you are overlooking the fact that we were never going to SF for the pen show, but as a stopover in our longer journey. Not going to the show allows us even more freedom with regard to travel times. As for the pen show, it's just a pen show. While it may have been passably interesting it is not the be all and end all of things. When making decisions one must consider all sorts of angles. In this case the show is awkwardly placed for people like us who are just passing through, reports of what shows are like (that I've read) seem quite mixed, and while some people are encouraging others most certainly are not. Overall it's just a lot less hassle to not bother with the show. It's not a big deal.

Farmboy
November 22nd, 2018, 03:09 PM
Most of you are overlooking the fact that we were never going to SF for the pen show, but as a stopover in our longer journey. Not going to the show allows us even more freedom with regard to travel times. As for the pen show, it's just a pen show. While it may have been passably interesting it is not the be all and end all of things. When making decisions one must consider all sorts of angles. In this case the show is awkwardly placed for people like us who are just passing through, reports of what shows are like (that I've read) seem quite mixed, and while some people are encouraging others most certainly are not. Overall it's just a lot less hassle to not bother with the show. It's not a big deal.

OK, going to the SF Pen Show (or any show) may not work out. How about you let us know when you will be around and we can set up a pen club meeting of one sort or another. I'm sure we could get to the level of a mini-pen show for an out of town visitor.

penwash
November 22nd, 2018, 04:25 PM

At this rate, reading this and the other thread, I don't think I'll be going either. I'll be in SF and certain there are many alternative attractions with which to occupy our time.

Okay I'm confused now, what exactly I said above that contributed to you deciding not to go to the pen show?

Empty_of_Clouds
November 22nd, 2018, 06:38 PM
Nothing, I was merely following the theme of not going.

Sid the Cat
December 18th, 2018, 03:12 PM
What are Americans like? We're all fat and carry guns.
If you end up in San Francisco, you'll be in one of the most cosmopolitan cities in the States, and most people more-or-less speak English.
Have fun!

Empty_of_Clouds
December 18th, 2018, 05:35 PM
Hah! I was already aware that most Americans speak an approximation of English (this is the eternal English-US jibe of course!)

Anyway, it will be good to stopover and stretch the old legs. No doubt we will meet some wonderful Americans among the throngs of tourists!

Given that we will most likely only have a couple of whole days, any "must do/see/experience" things we should know about? (Of course, I could look some of this up online, but hearing first-hand accounts can often lead to more interesting adventures in my experience)

Chemyst
December 18th, 2018, 07:33 PM
Given that we will most likely only have a couple of whole days, any "must do/see/experience" things we should know about? (Of course, I could look some of this up online, but hearing first-hand accounts can often lead to more interesting adventures in my experience)

Have an Irish coffee at the place that put them on the map, The Buena Vista. Then walk out the front door and take in Alcatraz in the harbour.

Ride a streetcar to Coit Tower. Take in the vista and the art inside. Walk down Telegraph Hill among the small old houses and look for some of the famous parrots among the trees.

Head over to Pier 39. Eat chowder out of a SF sourdough bread bowl and then look for the famous sealions basking on rafts in the marina.

penwash
December 18th, 2018, 08:55 PM
David, given that you have a few days, there are interesting places around San Francisco that you can go to like Sonoma vineyards, Carmel By-the-Sea where you can visit Detlef and Cindy Bittner in their pen store. And of course, meet Todd and the Pen Posse gang at the pen show (just saying).

Within SF, I'd recommend to see the Lombard Street, Japan Town, Chinatown (especially if you like street photography), and of course, the Gold Gate which can be enjoyed from different points (different experience and views). Muir Woods are excellent day trip.

Some of my SF photos, sorry it's in B&W.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4416/35888176094_18b4fb70a9_c.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8258/29092690921_955be3ee4e_c.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8726/29064898052_e69be2d1c5_c.jpg

Empty_of_Clouds
December 18th, 2018, 09:35 PM
Thanks, Will. Good suggestions. And I really like B/W photos (yours are excellent examples).

Empty_of_Clouds
December 21st, 2018, 09:16 PM
Oh, given the relatively short time there (anywhere from 2 to 4 days) we will probably have to be compact in our choices to avoid schlepping for miles and miles. Pen stuff is not on the agenda.

da vinci
December 24th, 2018, 09:00 PM
UK has pen shows too. Maybe worth a google to check dates and see if any fit with your itinerary?

Empty_of_Clouds
December 29th, 2018, 03:12 AM
Sure, but I don't think any of them do. Besides which, our time in the UK is mostly fully booked up with family matters.

I still have to find a reasonable hotel in SF yet that doesn't charge an arm and a leg. The US seems very expensive in that regard compared to where I am now (NZ) and where I come from (UK). Or maybe I'm just out of touch with such things.

da vinci
December 31st, 2018, 08:50 AM
Well good luck, I hope that you find what you are looking for in terms of pens and hotels! :)

AzJon
January 2nd, 2019, 03:28 PM
Sure, but I don't think any of them do. Besides which, our time in the UK is mostly fully booked up with family matters.

I still have to find a reasonable hotel in SF yet that doesn't charge an arm and a leg. The US seems very expensive in that regard compared to where I am now (NZ) and where I come from (UK). Or maybe I'm just out of touch with such things.

San Francisco, and the Bay Area in general are insanely expensive. Finding something for less than ~$100-$150/night can be a challenge.

Chemyst
January 2nd, 2019, 06:23 PM
Over in the East Bay, we try to book most visitors into the Hotel Shattuck (http://www.hotelshattuckplaza.com/). It’s an older property, but centrally located and very reasonable rates.

Empty_of_Clouds
January 2nd, 2019, 07:00 PM
AzJon, I am addressing that challenge right now! :) Cost will determine how many nights we are willing to stay, and location will also impact on this. We will figure it out.

Empty_of_Clouds
January 4th, 2019, 04:46 AM
Being slow-witted as I obviously am - I just remembered that SF is has a strong connection with the Beat poets! Always been a fan of Ginsburg, Kerouac et al, despite their many flaws and often mediocre writing.

So, my short list thus far is, in no particular order:

The Bay - because it's there, and my home town (Plymouth, UK) sits on a most beautiful bay, thus I am drawn to such features.
Chinatown for food (I'll let my Chinese wife be the judge of that)
Golden Gate Bridge (even if from a distance)
City Lights Bookstore
Lombard Street
Japan Town (may even shift the travel dates to accommodate the Nihonmachi festival, and there is a Kinokuniya there too, so I can have a quick rummage for stationery).

That should keep us entertained for a couple of days. :)

AzJon
January 4th, 2019, 06:39 AM
Being slow-witted as I obviously am - I just remembered that SF is has a strong connection with the Beat poets! Always been a fan of Ginsburg, Kerouac et al, despite their many flaws and often mediocre writing.

So, my short list thus far is, in no particular order:

The Bay - because it's there, and my home town (Plymouth, UK) sits on a most beautiful bay, thus I am drawn to such features.
Chinatown for food (I'll let my Chinese wife be the judge of that)
Golden Gate Bridge (even if from a distance)
City Lights Bookstore
Lombard Street
Japan Town (may even shift the travel dates to accommodate the Nihonmachi festival, and there is a Kinokuniya there too, so I can have a quick rummage for stationery).

That should keep us entertained for a couple of days. :)

City Lights Bookstore is interesting and on the outskirts of Chinatown. I personally recommend the R&R Lounge (sounds dodge, is actually very high end Cantonese) for some of the best food in Chinatown. Z&Y is also good.

It is very reasonable to start near Lombard St. around 10 or 11 and walk down through Little Italy to City Lights Bookstore, then head to Chinatown for dinner. This of course depends on how much time you spend at each location.

Japantown is much smaller than Chinatown, but you can still kill a number of hours there.

Edit to add: Red Blossom Tea Co is in Chinatown in higher end Chinese tea is your thing.

penwash
January 4th, 2019, 03:28 PM

That reminded me of this photo I took at the SF Japan Town in 2007:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/188/482289989_27cae3b0df_o.jpg

This was the Cherry Blossom festival, tons of people and good experience. Also, while you're there, don't miss Maido, which has more fountain pen selection than Kinokuniya.

Empty_of_Clouds
January 4th, 2019, 03:37 PM
Funny thing, I've actually bought stuff from the SF Maido a couple of years ago. Online only though of course. Great pic! Before I was married I knew a girl in Tokyo (met when I visited the city) who was a member of a Taiko group.

Empty_of_Clouds
February 4th, 2019, 03:11 AM
Bit frustrating. Still waiting on the funding to come through for this trip. Kicking heels in the meantime.

Incidentally, there was no answer to an earlier question about calligraphy classes at the show. The website doesn't list any, and I know that Michael Sull sometimes goes to the LA show, which I understand is just sorta up the road from San Fran. So I was hoping he (or similar) may be there. I would be tempted to attend a class (if they would make an exception to include a distant traveller over their quota).

RWS
February 4th, 2019, 09:57 AM
Sorry to jump in on this thread, but I am also having a stopover in SF, timed to coincide with the pen show. I will be travelling in the opposite direction, arriving from Manchester UK on Thursday 22nd August, leaving Monday 26th Aug.
My thought was to stay in the downtown area if I can afford it, then travel to the pen show one of the days. I would be grateful if anybody can help with a couple of questions -
My guide book says that the BART system only goes as far as the airport. Does it reach to Redwood City?
My idea was to use Amtrak to Belmont station, and walk to the hotel from there. Is this feasible?
Any ideas welcome!

Farmboy
February 4th, 2019, 07:07 PM
CalTrain is the best bet to Belmont but it is a bit of a walk.

There is a shuttle from SFO to the Pullman but they check your room booking. Stay one night at the Pullman?

RWS
February 5th, 2019, 12:50 AM
Thanks Farmboy for the information and suggestion. I should arrive at SFO around 2pm, and had thought of staying Thur evening at the Pullman. But the pen show doesn't open to the general public until Friday afternoon, so it means hanging around the hotel Thur evening and Fri morning, which I see as wasting good sightseeing time. Apart from having to pay premium admission to the show on Friday.

I will continue to investigate my options. Further ideas welcome.

Farmboy
February 5th, 2019, 09:11 PM
I’d suggest staying in the Pullman on Saturday night since there is a party after the show closes.

There may be other options, I’ll discuss with the elders.

RWS
February 7th, 2019, 02:15 AM
Thank you for the invitation to the party. It sounds fun. How does it compare with Saturday night in the Castro district?

AzJon
February 7th, 2019, 01:04 PM
Thank you for the invitation to the party. It sounds fun. How does it compare with Saturday night in the Castro district?

I'm not sure anything compares with Saturday night in the Castro.

Empty_of_Clouds
February 13th, 2019, 04:18 AM
My wife has been working on me about this. She knows I wanted to go, she also knows why I got cold feet. She also, also knows how to apply subtle pressure on me.

Then I received a lovely letter from an American penfriend which included the promotional postcard with the front design by Lisa Miyako (ethernautrix?). It's a great cover! (could be a pen, could be an object of interest at a crime scene, heh).

Anyway, between this and that, and assuming that the funding for the trip to the UK eventuates (which at the moment is uncertain), it looks as though I will be able to have a day at the show. My wife is hoping there will something for her to do while I examine all the pens I cannot afford :) but as noted before there is nothing listed on the website that I can see.

And, even though I don't anticipate any enthusiasm for the idea, I would be somewhat humbled if any Geeks would like to meet and say hi.

RWS
February 13th, 2019, 09:55 AM
Hello EoC, I still haven't decided which day to visit the show. We may bump into one another - how will I know you? Oh yes, the one with a bored wife sitting in a corner. But there may be more than one bored wife / geek husband combination!

junglejim
February 13th, 2019, 10:49 AM
Wonderful that you both may be able to attend the pen show. Hope the funds come through for you EoC! Could you post a picture of the promotional postcard by ethernautrix? It's not posted anywhere at the SF Pen Show website or their Facebook page.

Anyone know who is doing the limited edition ink for the SF Show?

All the Best.

Empty_of_Clouds
February 13th, 2019, 02:12 PM
Sure thing! Here you go:

https://i.imgur.com/FNsEQDvl.jpg

Farmboy
February 13th, 2019, 06:55 PM
Wonderful that you both may be able to attend the pen show. Hope the funds come through for you EoC! Could you post a picture of the promotional postcard by ethernautrix? It's not posted anywhere at the SF Pen Show website or their Facebook page.

Anyone know who is doing the limited edition ink for the SF Show?

All the Best.

As I understand it, the post cards are generally unique with several different ones each year. A new one will be out at the LA show this weekend.

Empty_of_Clouds
February 25th, 2019, 03:18 AM
Hello EoC, I still haven't decided which day to visit the show. We may bump into one another - how will I know you? Oh yes, the one with a bored wife sitting in a corner. But there may be more than one bored wife / geek husband combination!

Hey RWS, the funding is looking very promising right now. As soon as it is resolved and I have booked my tickets I will let you know what days I am going to be there. We expect to be in San Fran for 3 days (that will include all the pen show days), so we can be quite flexible. It would be super to meet another enthusiast, and as you are the only one to express such an interest in doing so, it looks like you are it! :)

RWS
February 25th, 2019, 09:51 AM
Hello EoC, I'll correspond nearer the time, when I have firmed up my itinerary.

Empty_of_Clouds
March 11th, 2019, 06:59 PM
Woohoo! :bounce:

Funds have come through - and now for the tricky part, arranging flights, accommodation, connections, and car hire, so that they all line up. First big trip since our wedding in Shanghai in Feb 2018, and I haven't been back to the UK since 2007. Wonder how different it will be compared to rose-tinted memory.:)

junglejim
March 11th, 2019, 07:22 PM
Congrats, EoC!! :applause:

catbert
March 11th, 2019, 09:02 PM
:thumb::thumb:

Empty_of_Clouds
March 29th, 2019, 09:39 PM
Flights are booked, but unfortunately due to the vagaries of connecting a bunch of flights we will still be in San Fran for 3 days although arriving a day earlier than planned. So the only realistic day I can get to the show would be on the 23rd Aug - and then most likely only an afternoon. Wondering if it is worth taking the time to go under these circumstances (also because Friday would cost me $50 instead of $20 - I'm a bit cheap you see).

RWS
March 30th, 2019, 01:36 AM
Congratulations. I am sure that the entrance price even on Friday will be totally insignificant compared to the sums spent while in the show. And I'm not talking about the odd coffee...

By strange co-incidence, I have recently started again planning my stay in SF. Accommodation is a bit of a nightmare. Either very expensive, or in areas that carry a warning in the guide books.

There must be an affordable hotel accessible to the tourist sights, not too far from a BART station, clean and not too fancy. I know it's there, just beeds to be found.

UK is still very beautiful, especially away from the South East. Getting more crowded especially on the roads. We may even know where we stand with the EU by then but don't hold your breath.

ethernautrix
March 30th, 2019, 02:28 AM
Sure thing! Here you go:

https://i.imgur.com/FNsEQDvl.jpg

Cool!

Sadly, I won't be attending the SFPS again. *sigh*

BUT! Pen Show Poland is in two weeks, and I'm definitely anticipating a fun time with pen friends I see only at (and around) this show. (Some pen friends come to Wrocław either before or after the show. And then all heaven breaks loose. Ha!)

Have fun in my native city. Hug all of my Pen Posse pals - enjoy the awkward!

Empty_of_Clouds
March 30th, 2019, 02:39 AM
Congratulations. I am sure that the entrance price even on Friday will be totally insignificant compared to the sums spent while in the show. And I'm not talking about the odd coffee...

Not planning on spending any money at the show - and with my wife in tow it seems likely that I will stick to that! That $50 is more significant to me due to relative differences in living costs between the US and NZ.

Chrissy
March 30th, 2019, 03:58 AM

Not planning on spending any money at the show - and with my wife in tow it seems likely that I will stick to that! That $50 is more significant to me due to relative differences in living costs between the US and NZ.
If you're not planning on spending any money at the show, and the $50 entrance fee is significant enough to you that you don't really want to spend it, then it looks like you've already made up your mind what to do.

Actually, I would probably think the same about spending $50 to get in for a short time on a Friday afternoon. It's not like you will be first in to get the bargains at the start. :)

Empty_of_Clouds
March 30th, 2019, 04:30 AM
Bargains are not really the sort things that fall in my favour, so no worries on that account!

Yeah, it's a shame about the cost to time ratio for that Friday afternoon, but there is not much I can do about it.

Chrissy
March 30th, 2019, 04:32 AM
Bargains are not really the sort things that fall in my favour, so no worries on that account!
I know for certain if my OH and I were in SF and I asked him if he wanted us both to spend $50 each to go to a pen show for a couple of hours he would say "No, I'll see you later."

ethernautrix
March 30th, 2019, 12:34 PM
Didn't FarmBoy offer to put your name on a guest list?

Empty_of_Clouds
March 30th, 2019, 02:22 PM
No idea, but I may have missed posts here and there (I don't always read them all). It's no big deal, just how connections work out (or not) sometimes. On the plus side we get an extra day in Singapore on the return trip, so that should be fun.

Chrissy
March 30th, 2019, 03:29 PM
Didn't FarmBoy offer to put your name on a guest list?
It's all at the beginning of the thread

Empty_of_Clouds
March 30th, 2019, 08:52 PM
Ah, saw it via a link. As I recall that was for Saturday or Sunday, so it does not really apply to us because Friday is the only time available. It's a pity to travel all that way and not be able to go to the show, but I hear there are some good stationery shops around, so there is that. And then there are the foodie places! :) nom nom nom

Farmboy
March 30th, 2019, 09:00 PM
How about a two-for-one on Friday?
You buy yours and I’ll buy your wife’s, she can sit with the other pen casualties or stroll around.

Empty_of_Clouds
March 31st, 2019, 06:20 PM
It's a kind offer but we will be making the decision - to go/not go - on the day. My enthusiasm is not very high right now, my elderly Mom has just had another TIA and is in generally poor health, and the whole trip is starting to look like a "last chance to see" thing.

Empty_of_Clouds
May 10th, 2019, 11:36 PM
Finally!

Accommodation booked. Have decided to stay in Daly City. No doubt some may see this as a poor choice, but economics being what they are...

Anyway, just need to book a couple of nights in London and hire a car for a couple of weeks and we're all set to go.

Still have to nail down the must-see things to do (for us) in SF.

Empty_of_Clouds
May 11th, 2019, 07:33 PM
Been reading up a little about San Fran, and was quite surprised to find that it is quite a small city by population. Less than 1 million apparently. For some reason I had imagined it to be somewhat more populous. Mind you, that is still about a fifth of the population of the whole of New Zealand. :)

ethernautrix
May 12th, 2019, 04:38 AM
That's the resident population. During business hours, the population swells to well over a million. Explains the daily (M-F) commute nightmare.

Empty_of_Clouds
May 12th, 2019, 05:01 AM
It's probably because most of my "big city" time over the last 10 years has been in Shanghai. 22 million people is rather a lot! :)

edit: what is M-F?

Chrissy
May 12th, 2019, 06:57 AM
edit: what is M-F?

Monday-Friday....

Empty_of_Clouds
May 12th, 2019, 12:20 PM
Heh, and there was me thinking it was some exotic form of urban transport. Duh!

AzJon
May 12th, 2019, 02:57 PM
That's the resident population. During business hours, the population swells to well over a million. Explains the daily (M-F) commute nightmare.

I just had a minor panic attack remembering days I had to get across the Bay Bridge. Who knew you could only go 10 miles in 3 hours?

Empty_of_Clouds
May 13th, 2019, 04:51 AM
Walking would have been quicker! I like walking.

I've got a new item on my agenda now - to walk on a Californian beach (maybe dip a toe in the Pacific - I expect it's warmer there than here).

We very nearly got a place to stay smack in the middle of Chinatown. That would have been a blast. Alas they couldn't host us for all the days. Maybe next time.

I think the visit is going to be firmly centered on food. ;)

Chrissy
May 13th, 2019, 04:59 AM
Walking would have been quicker! I like walking.

I've got a new item on my agenda now - to walk on a Californian beach (maybe dip a toe in the Pacific - I expect it's warmer there than here).

We very nearly got a place to stay smack in the middle of Chinatown. That would have been a blast. Alas they couldn't host us for all the days. Maybe next time.

I think the visit is going to be firmly centered on food. ;)
Monterey Bay and Carmel. :)

Empty_of_Clouds
May 13th, 2019, 05:13 AM
Those are quite a long way from where we are staying; like over 100 miles! Might go Thornton or Mussel.

Chrissy
May 13th, 2019, 05:14 AM
Those are quite a long way from where we are staying; like over 100 miles! Might go Thornton or Mussel.
We stayed in SF and drove down to Big Sur via Monterey and Carmel. On the other hand we didn't book to stay in SF all of the time. We wandered around and stayed in other places.

Empty_of_Clouds
May 13th, 2019, 05:16 AM
On another trip, with a car, I may be tempted to do the same. No car in the US this trip for us. Public transport only... and Shank's pony of course.

Chrissy
May 13th, 2019, 05:19 AM
On another trip, with a car, I may be tempted to do the same. No car in the US this trip for us. Public transport only... and Shank's pony of course.
We drove from SF to the Grand Canyon and back to Yosemite

ethernautrix
May 13th, 2019, 05:20 AM
Surfers at Ocean Beach or near Ft. Point wear wetsuits cos very cold Pacific.

San Francisco Bay Area is fantastic for food tourism. Enjoy! And report back, please.

AzJon
May 13th, 2019, 11:46 AM
The waters in San Francisco are very cold, but a toe dip is usually fine.

Fully agreed that you can make your whole trip about food. So much good food. The Z&Y Cafe and R&R Lounge are both in Chinatown and both have fantastic cuisine.

Empty_of_Clouds
May 13th, 2019, 05:28 PM

What about all those films showing people surfing in their togs? :eek: Duped by Hollywood again!

My wife has a hankering for a crab sarnie on the Wharf, and I've heard there is a great sourdough place where you can have chowder in a hollowed loaf. We have simple pleasures.

AzJon
May 13th, 2019, 05:34 PM

What about all those films showing people surfing in their togs? :eek: Duped by Hollywood again!

My wife has a hankering for a crab sarnie on the Wharf, and I've heard there is a great sourdough place where you can have chowder in a hollowed loaf. We have simple pleasures.

Both of those are good choices. The American Sourdough Breadbowl is certainly a unique thing.

You certainly could go out surfing without a wet suit, but it would be a bit chilly. Gotta head down to LA or San Diego to see the surfers just out in a pair of shorts. Even then, though, pretty cold. It's those Hawaiians that go out in very little.

Empty_of_Clouds
May 13th, 2019, 06:10 PM
I was talking to a colleague the other day and was telling them how surprised I was to find the San Fran was north of LA! I had been to LA, but for some strange reason thought it was north of San Fran. My American geography was (and no doubt still is) a shocker.

The American Sourdough Breadbowl - that's the one that was mentioned to me by said colleague. :)

Farmboy
May 13th, 2019, 07:41 PM
https://boudinbakery.com/location/boudin-sf-south-coast-plaza/

Empty_of_Clouds
May 13th, 2019, 08:02 PM
And that is the place that was mentioned. My colleague speaks French and the name sounded French.

We'll have a couple of days to take in that steep winding street, City Lights bookshop, Maido (for stationery, maybe), food, Chinatown, more food, Fisherman's Wharf, even more food, and a long walk or two on the beach to get the digestive juices running. Should fill all the time we have available.

AzJon
May 13th, 2019, 08:19 PM
And that is the place that was mentioned. My colleague speaks French and the name sounded French.

We'll have a couple of days to take in that steep winding street, City Lights bookshop, Maido (for stationery, maybe), food, Chinatown, more food, Fisherman's Wharf, even more food, and a long walk or two on the beach to get the digestive juices running. Should fill all the time we have available.

That sounds reasonable. Boudin's is pronounced BOO-DEENS by the way.

All of those things are in pretty decent walking distance. In that area is also Crissy Field which is a nice enough area. If you want to get to the beach, you'll need to take public transport. Fortunately, it's a straight-shot from downtown. Head into the underground and get on the N-Judah. Takes you all the way to Ocean Beach. Takes about an hour and there is a little cafe called the Java Street Cafe. Not bad. Good for a hot beverage if the day is cold. Four blocks south on Noriega is the Devil's Teeth Bakery that is fantastic (If you're strolling).

ethernautrix
May 14th, 2019, 03:13 AM
Plenty of bus lines will take you to Ocean Beach. 5 Fulton, 32 Balboa, 38 Geary, probably 1 California (this one stops near the golf course where the road leads to the California Palace of the Legion of Honor (a room of Rodin sculptures is there, and other art. It's a lovely building in a lovely location.).

I'm sure much has changed since my last visit (I'm a native San Franciscan). Just heard that The Punch Line, one of my favorite comedy clubs, is closing in August. The usual reason - price hike on the lease. They're scouting for locations. I was sad when The Purple Onion closed. That was my favorite comedy club. Doc's Lab "replaced" it - and a Google inquiry shows that Doc's shut down without notice last year. Swell. (Nods to '70s SF cop Dirty Harry Callahan.)

Well... ain't that just the way. The hospital where I was born is now a Lucasfilms campus. (Pre-deleting a list of changes, haha.)

The Green Apple bookstore on Clement St (new & used books) is still there. Yay!

Writers With Drinks is a monthly literary reading at The Make Out Room in "The Mish" (the Mission district). Oh my god, the burritos! The Mish has got burritos and tacos and new, hipster restaurants that might be worth trying. My favorite burrito is from Gordo, the original location on Clement and 24th Ave. Still there!

Looks like my favorite alt-theater (cinema) is still on the same block as Gordo - Four Star. I saw foreign movies and films like REPO MAN there.

BTW, the bus lines I mentioned - those are the street names. Those streets run east-west and end (going east) at Market Street, which runs diagonally (insert map here) and begins with the Ferry Building.

I remember when the Embarcadero freeway cast its long, shadowy pall along the waterfront. The Loma Prieta earthquake (1989) convinced city planners to remove, rather than repair, it. A beautiful decision.

Oh lordy. I sound like an old.

Hahaha.

ethernautrix
May 14th, 2019, 03:14 AM
Boudins sourdough... oh man. Lucky you.

Empty_of_Clouds
May 14th, 2019, 04:23 AM
Thanks, Lisa. We are really looking forward to seeing the city for the first time. Because of our respective work commitments there is often a year or more between spells of significant leisure time.

And you don't sound like an old. You sound like someone who is connected to her childhood roots. I feel exactly the same way about my home town.

AzJon
May 14th, 2019, 10:57 AM
Ethernautrix,

I lived in SF from 2009 to 2014. Went back in 2016 and was shocked how much had changed in two years.

When was the last time you were back? While I was there it was simpliy "The Mission", but more commonly people would refer to intersections more than the Mission as a whole and use Mission st as the coordinate marker. 16th and Mission or 24rd and Mission. Largely because of the Bart stops there, I think.

These days, if timeliness is your goal, I would eschew the buses (unless you want to hit sights along the way, of course) because it can take absolute ages to get across the peninsula via bus. When I was there, Taking a bus from Chinatown to the Richmond/Land's End would take and hour and a half under good conditions. Then again, I lived off the Judah, so I may be a bit biased there.

I think my favorite Mission burritos were either La Cumbre or Pancho Villas, both north Mission.

Ugh... Now I'm feeling homesick. Obviously not my uralter home, but man I miss that place sometimes.

Jon Szanto
May 14th, 2019, 11:28 AM
The city is certainly changing and it has been a handful of years since I spent any great length of time there, but I've never found a city I enjoy more than San Francisco. It can reward you in almost any direction you like.

I often used Union Square as a semi- base of operations because so much could be gotten to on foot, whether heading to SoMa or anywhere else. More than once we would head north on foot through Chinatown in the morning, taking a leisurely stroll towards North Beach. We'd get to Molinari's Deli and order a couple sandwiches and then continue, taking our lunch all the way up to Coit Tower. We'd sit on the walls, looking out over the bay and enjoy a delicious meal, then continue down to the Embarcadero. By the time the day was done we'd likely - if the line wasn't too bad - take a cable car back. Touristy, the last bit, but something one can't do in many other places, and it can give a unique view of the neighborhoods in the hills heading back into downtown.

Like Ether said, many old haunts are no longer there; I'm quite certain the belly dance clubs I checked out in the 70s in No. Beach aren't there anymore, but that was a great time of wild music and exotic environments. These days there are other things - MOMA has been a remarkable addition, and I love the farmer's market (twice a week, maybe?) at the old Ferry Terminal building.

Too much to do in that city. I hope old San Francisco can survive the ongoing tech boom, but I have faith there will always be ragged and quirky and fascinating things that last there.

Empty_of_Clouds
May 14th, 2019, 01:34 PM
I'll probably have to find a good street map. We won't be going north of the bridge nor much further south than Daly City, so it doesn't have to be a map of the whole of San Fran.

Jon Szanto
May 14th, 2019, 01:49 PM
It may seem obvious, but Google Maps will get you a lot of info prior to your trip. I simply typed San Francisco into the search and took a screen shot. You'll see that it shows the boundaries of the city, which don't extend past the bridge or all the way to Daly City. You could plan an awful lot of your itinerary by using it, including walking/transit distances between areas you become interested in. In a way, I wish I had this decades ago, but I also feel that learning an area with a map and your feet gives a more intimate experience. Might be just me.

https://i.imgur.com/JqpBKUo.png

Empty_of_Clouds
May 14th, 2019, 02:55 PM
Yes, that is certainly a resource I have used before. Generally though, and no doubt because I'm a bit old and haven't totally adopted modern tech, I've always preferred the map and feet method.

AzJon
May 14th, 2019, 03:10 PM
Well, Jon, the belly-dance clubs in North Beach aren't there anymore, but there still is a strip of clubs of a...uh...different nature.

Jon Szanto
May 14th, 2019, 05:26 PM
Well, Jon, the belly-dance clubs in North Beach aren't there anymore, but there still is a strip of clubs of a...uh...different nature.

Yeah, but with Carol Doda gone, what's the point? ;)

ethernautrix
May 15th, 2019, 06:19 AM
I dated this musician from New Jersey who played at clubs on Broadway -- the Mabuhay Garden, for instance. Long gone but the memories. When my best friend turned 21, a group of us buddies from high school (she was the last to turn "legal") celebrated at Finocchio's. Gone.

School where I attended third grade, now a high school. Sixth grade -- now a college-prep school.

I think Louis' diner out near Land's End (close to the Cliff House overlooking Ocean Beach) is still there.

This is embarrassing, but once, when I was in high school, I took the bus at, like, four in the morning to go to Ocean Beach to watch the sunrise. I got off at 32nd or 33rd Avenue, cos I didn't want the bus driver to worry about my going to the beach. I walked the remaining 15 or so blocks, then made my way over to "my rock" (as I called it, this protruding rock from the cliffs that suggested "sit here") (it meant walking through a short tunnel with a hole in the ground where I'd usually stop and watch the ocean for a moment). Settled in on my rock, I awaited the magnificent sunrise... which occurred behind me, cos I was, of course, facing west. (California public schools!)

Anyway, the last time I visited the City was in late 2017. (My last Gordo burrito. Sigh. My last visit to SFMOMA. I still have my membership card. My last visits to The Punch Line and (down the Peninsula) Rooster T. Feathers and San Jose Improv. Sigh, sigh, sigh.) One of my friends, who lived in The Mish for 30 years (on Capp St.) was finally evicted about a year ago cos the landlord wanted to cash in on the keerazy rents. Landlord's daughter moved in, will probably move out in a year, wink, wink. Name of the game in that town, always has been. Stakes just keep rising.

I started saying "the Mish," cos that's how my friend refers to it, maybe ironically cos "the Mish" sounds hipster. Maybe it's just between us.

I always loved riding the bus. I'd walk down to, say, Montgomery at Market so I'd have a longer ride to watch the people on the street and look at the buildings. Right now, I can see City Hall and the War Memorial Opera House (not on Market, but seen from the 5 Fulton after the turn) (I saw Baryshnikov dance there, SRO, a couple of times -- in his prime! Stood outside the backstage entrance with my best friend to get his autograph (I handed him my copy of the Turning Point (paperback), I think I kept only the cover with his signature in ballpoint. I kept that ballpoint -- a Bic (white with blue cap) for years. Tossed it during one of numerous pre-move paring-downs, along with ballpoints used by Robin Williams, Andy Gibb, Rex Smith (ask Google), and so on.)). Also, handed him a letter... and his assistant replied that Mr.Baryshnikov thanked me very much, so, you know. he and I are still married, in my inner squealing 14- or 15-year-old's heart.).

But, yes, I have noticed the many changes in "my" City. When I first returned to California (after some years on the east coast), I noticed that I could not afford to live there. Hahaha. It's even further out of reach now. It's like New York when I lived in San Francisco -- New York was unattainable, unimaginable, far too expensive. Well, congratulations, San Francisco, you have attained New Yorkhood. (And yet, I managed to live in New York for about three years--even started a business, with an ex-con. But that's a different city, different story.)

San Francisco is a walker's paradise (as long as that walker loves cities). I used to work at a radio station downtown, and I'd walked from there along the Embarcadero through Fisherman's Wharf to Fort Mason, where I'd catch the bus home to "the Avenues." I'd pick movies by the theater's location -- The Cannery? Sign me up! Then I'd walk all the way home. Cos I just loved... that city. And night.

And, for contrast, there are the mentally ill and the addicts, the homeless and the bums. Still. When I lived on the east coast and returned for visits, I noticed the stench of urine in the FInancial district and wondered, was it always like that? I didn't think so. I'm mentioning this so you, EoC, won't be surprised. Someone might say to you in passing, "When it's night, I'm gonna put an axe in your head." Don't even respond. Don't look. Definitely don't look. Just keep walking. (That was circa 1986. No one put an axe in my head, at night, any night, that I noticed.) Probably wasn't even talking to me. I'm pretty sure I was among the first to make the observation that Bluetooth would make it hard to distinguish the mentally ill from those talking on their cellphones. Feels like a hundred years ago. Or the one bum, lying in presumably his own urine on the sidewalk,
who offered my then-husband a blow job for a dollar. My ex said, "Okay! But not with that mouth!" Bum laughed. We just kept walking. And, okay, yeah, the homeless guy in North Beach who would wave me over to the parking spot I already was heading towards (on my way to The Purple Onion)... yeah, I'd give him a coupla bucks. You know... comme-see comme-sah.

The City has it all. Opera? Check. Live music? Yep. (Saw so many greats and favorites: Warren Zevon, Richard Thompson, Randy Newman (he broke a piano string at the Warfield!), Gogol Bordello, U2, and bands playing at smaller clubs and so on.) Comedy? Yeah, of course. Theatre (as opposed to theater, and plenty of that, too). Libraries and book readings and museums. All the stuff I took for granted po angielsku that I can't really enjoy po polsku (cos this Polish language is a CODE!).

I don't know how much I've gone on and on, cos phone screen is small. So I'll just stop -- and come back with a link to a song.

ethernautrix
May 15th, 2019, 06:24 AM
https://youtu.be/iP8_Dbvpi-A

https://youtu.be/iP8_Dbvpi-A

I won tickets to the album release party held at Wolfgang's (now Cobb's Comedy Club) and saw the members of Journey (got their autographs on the album that I no longer have, cos so many moves). I was scandalized that they were drunk! (Laughing, cos it was probably so much more than alcohol.)

ethernautrix
May 15th, 2019, 06:28 AM
Oh yeah, and sports. San Francisco has sports. Candlestick Park -- gone. But the stadium within the city limits -- don't know if it's still AT&T. Corporate names tend to change without notice.

Chemyst
May 15th, 2019, 07:12 AM
I lived in SF from 2009 to 2014. Went back in 2016...

https://youtu.be/WN5_9bqAHJU

Empty_of_Clouds
May 19th, 2019, 02:08 AM
A quick question.

Is Mai Do the best of the stationery / pen stores in the SF downtown area?

If there are others worth a visit I would appreciate a heads-up. :)

Farmboy
May 19th, 2019, 10:31 AM
Check with Ricky but I believe he has the best of the best coming from Japan to the SF Show.

Empty_of_Clouds
May 19th, 2019, 01:07 PM
Not in the downtown area (or near enough), so not possible. No idea who Ricky is, although not relevant either.

Farmboy
May 19th, 2019, 04:51 PM
Ricky is one of the three people that run the SF Pen Show.

True, the SF show is in Redwood City but it is closer to SFO than SF is!

Empty_of_Clouds
May 19th, 2019, 06:15 PM
Daly City and points north (our intended area for exploration) do not include Redwood City.

ethernautrix
May 21st, 2019, 02:32 AM
There's a Mai-do in Japantown, and if you go there, I recommend Mifune (restaurant) for udon. Granted, it's been a few years since I've enjoyed their udon... and now I'm thinking about udon. *Sigh*

I've had "udon" and "ramen" in Poland, but... let's just say that it's in the ballpark but not on the field of play. Anyway, if you like udon or soba, give Mifune a try.

Ricky is AltecGreen, a fount of fountain pen knowledge (and science! ).

Empty_of_Clouds
May 21st, 2019, 04:10 AM
Thanks! We do like all things noodly :) so will look up Mifune.

Ricky/Altecgreen? I am no wiser, but it's not important. Paths will never cross kind of thing.

catbert
May 21st, 2019, 04:22 AM
Ricky/Altecgreen? I am no wiser, but it's not important. Paths will never cross kind of thing.

Originator of this (https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/2141-Vintage-Italian-Pen-series) thread, among others.

Chemyst
May 21st, 2019, 04:33 AM

Originator of this (https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/2141-Vintage-Italian-Pen-series) thread, among others.

A giant in the community!

junglejim
May 22nd, 2019, 07:43 PM

A giant in the community!

+1. He's also an extremely knowledgeable resource and collector/user of Nakaya fountain pens.

calamus
May 24th, 2019, 02:56 PM
The last time I was in San Francisco there were people camped out in tents and defecating on the sidewalks downtown. As for those who are not homeless there, they tend to be, in general, among the most arrogant people I've ever encountered. Most of them seem to feel that they are superior to everyone else in the world. I may be going to the pen show in Redwood City, but I'll be avoiding what's turned into the most unpleasant city I've ever seen. True, it has some nice architecture, but it's also very dirty and pretty dangerous. It's also one of the most expensive cities in the U.S.

You may find that it doesn't live up to its romantic image.

Empty_of_Clouds
June 3rd, 2019, 02:17 PM
That's a pretty damning statement. Would anyone else like to comment on the veracity of this?

AzJon
June 3rd, 2019, 02:46 PM
Eh. "Dangerous" is a relative term. "Dangerous" maybe at night and not greats parts of town, but largely not an issue if you have any sense about you.

Yes, you will probably catch a whiff of urine while in the city. Yes there are places where people are homeless and living in tents, but that won't be where you are, broadly.

Californians, in my opinion, generally have an air of superiority, that CA is God's gift to humanity. This is not a unique trait, but it is a bit amplified in the City. You will likely not encounter this unless you are being intentionally combative about their home having flaws.

San Francisco is one of the wealthiest and most gentrified cities in the world. During my time there, "dangerous" sections were cleaned up and cleared out. Plenty of rich white hipsters walking around. Are their bad neighborhoods? Sure, but they are very easy to avoid.

Empty_of_Clouds
June 3rd, 2019, 03:10 PM
Thanks. I was asking because my wife is not an experienced traveller and has expressed some concern over things she has read about online. As a result she is somewhat leery of the idea of walking anywhere.

AzJon
June 3rd, 2019, 03:37 PM
I can understand being hesitant, but the itinerary you have mentioned puts you in places, in the day time, that also have other tourists around. Sure, don't walk random neighborhoods in south mission at night (or Hunter's Point, sheesh), but you would have no real reason to be there anyways. You might have to deal with a shouting homeless person, but, and I mean this very honestly, the homeless people in SF are some of the least aggressive I have ever met. Shouty, sure, but leave you alone if you just ignore them. My first week back in Arizona from SF, I had a homeless guy follow me for TWO BLOCKS harassing me for money. Never had that happen in SF, despite working in the Mission, in 4 years.

ethernautrix
June 4th, 2019, 03:36 AM
The Tenderloin continues to be...a problem area for the city.

But I used to walk all over the city (not Hunter's Point, cos not in my route areas, although my family lived in the military transition housing there for a few days or a month, I don't remember) and didn't encounter difficulties, outside the city's well-documented homelessness problem.

My walk routes traversed the city (in my youth), mostly the Financial District, North Beach, Inner Richmond, Outer Richmond (the Richmonds collectively referred to as "the Avenues"), Haight-Ashbury.... Through the Tenderloin sometimes but parallel streets (Bush, California, Sacramento) get you east or west without going through the Tenderloin.

Walk with alacrity and purpose, and you should be fine. Feel free to talk to people, ask for directions or recommendations. The city I remember was friendly and open. I loved talking to tourists, felt lucky to live (by accident of birth and parents) in a city some folks saved up for a long time to visit.

AzJon
June 4th, 2019, 11:54 AM
The Tenderloin continues to be...a problem area for the city.

But I used to walk all over the city (not Hunter's Point, cos not in my route areas, although my family lived in the military transition housing there for a few days or a month, I don't remember) and didn't encounter difficulties, outside the city's well-documented homelessness problem.

My walk routes traversed the city (in my youth), mostly the Financial District, North Beach, Inner Richmond, Outer Richmond (the Richmonds collectively referred to as "the Avenues"), Haight-Ashbury.... Through the Tenderloin sometimes but parallel streets (Bush, California, Sacramento) get you east or west without going through the Tenderloin.

Walk with alacrity and purpose, and you should be fine. Feel free to talk to people, ask for directions or recommendations. The city I remember was friendly and open. I loved talking to tourists, felt lucky to live (by accident of birth and parents) in a city some folks saved up for a long time to visit.

The Tenderloin is a problem, but because it's a well known problem, there tends to be a pretty solid police presence. Indeed, I knew a number of very well to do people that would go to the Tenderloin for food because of some of the newer restaurants in the area. I would be more concerned walking parts of the Mission than the Tenderloin *at night.

ethernautrix
June 4th, 2019, 01:44 PM
I looked at renting a studio apartment in the 'loin about 2010. I realized I wouldn't feel comfortable returning home after dark, police presence or no.

I did used to hang out with my friend who lived on Capp at 21st. Yeah. The many tales she had of the hookers and drug dealers and public urinators/defecators. Definitely a sketchy area, but she'd lived there for about 30 years before the landlord's daughter's moving in evicted her and her family.

It's a big city packed into seven square miles, so, you know, danger can lurk anywhere. Just keep your wits about you and respond to potential threats with humor and deflection and if it turns out to be a fight-or-flight situation, choose flight.

ethernautrix
June 4th, 2019, 02:00 PM
I'm not trying to scare anyone. I know plenty of people who have visited the city in the past few years (and last year), and they had no scary tales to tell. Just praise and wonder...and one lady (yesterday, in fact; a Polish nurse who travelled to SF with her husband last year (they're planning on a trip to China next year. I've never been.)) mentioned how cold it was in San Francisco, in California at all (they travelled up/down the coast).

So... wear layers!

AzJon
June 4th, 2019, 02:49 PM
I looked at renting a studio apartment in the 'loin about 2010. I realized I wouldn't feel comfortable returning home after dark, police presence or no.

I did used to hang out with my friend who lived on Capp at 21st. Yeah. The many tales she had of the hookers and drug dealers and public urinators/defecators. Definitely a sketchy area, but she'd lived there for about 30 years before the landlord's daughter's moving in evicted her and her family.

It's a big city packed into seven square miles, so, you know, danger can lurk anywhere. Just keep your wits about you and respond to potential threats with humor and deflection and if it turns out to be a fight-or-flight situation, choose flight.

I was looking at a place in the Tenderloin that year, too! An old hotel turned into month-to-month residence. Really glad my better judgement decided against that...

calamus
June 5th, 2019, 05:27 PM
Definitely there are areas in the City that are especially dangerous, and others that are less so. It seems to me that California has largely turned into a giant cesspit, particularly the larger urban areas. It's changed so much in my lifetime, I can't even recognize the place anymore. Of course, it's not just here. I remember when I used to love London and walked or took the tube everywhere and felt perfectly comfortable.

You should be okay walking around Chinatown and Fisherman's Wharf and Telegraph Hill and Market Street during the daytime, anyway. I think. They used to be fine. I don't know if Golden Gate Park is still safe, you'd have to ask someone who's been there more recently.
I've stopped going (to SF) because the place just seemed to be on a downhill spiral.

Then there's this, just now from the "chatbox" at the top of the home page:

New [16:50] arrow: I had a bit of a shock report from los angeles and san francisco
New [16:51] arrow: apparently rats, typhus and worrying escalation of tuberculosis
New [16:51] arrow: people on the streets and no sanetary soluitons
New [16:52] arrow: I'm as you know in Bergen, we have rats too
New [16:52] arrow: major problem and a continuous struggle to keep the population down
New [16:54] arrow: I think they even mentioned bubonic plague
New [16:54] arrow: which made it sound a bit unreal

AzJon
June 5th, 2019, 06:37 PM
Definitely there are areas in the City that are especially dangerous, and others that are less so. It seems to me that California has largely turned into a giant cesspit, particularly the larger urban areas. It's changed so much in my lifetime, I can't even recognize the place anymore. Of course, it's not just here. I remember when I used to love London and walked or took the tube everywhere and felt perfectly comfortable.

You should be okay walking around Chinatown and Fisherman's Wharf and Telegraph Hill and Market Street during the daytime, anyway. I think. They used to be fine. I don't know if Golden Gate Park is still safe, you'd have to ask someone who's been there more recently.
I've stopped going (to SF) because the place just seemed to be on a downhill spiral.

Then there's this, just now from the "chatbox" at the top of the home page:

New [16:50] arrow: I had a bit of a shock report from los angeles and san francisco
New [16:51] arrow: apparently rats, typhus and worrying escalation of tuberculosis
New [16:51] arrow: people on the streets and no sanetary soluitons
New [16:52] arrow: I'm as you know in Bergen, we have rats too
New [16:52] arrow: major problem and a continuous struggle to keep the population down
New [16:54] arrow: I think they even mentioned bubonic plague
New [16:54] arrow: which made it sound a bit unreal

Eh, we get plague here in Arizona pretty regularly. It's not something you want, but its also treatable with a standard round of anti-biotics. Bad if it goes through homeless populations that can't/don't seek treatment though.

Beyond that, LAX has almost always been a dump.

I haven't been in London in close to 10 years, but I too walked all over the city with nothing more than my trusty London A-Z. Got very lost and found some very cool places that way. Probably wasn't always the smartest idea, but never had a problem.

Empty_of_Clouds
June 7th, 2019, 04:33 AM
I've been reading a lot of reviews and guides this past couple of weeks, and of course taking note of the comments made here. My wife and I sat down today and had a long discussion about our trip overall. The upshot of this is that we were aiming for a relaxing and hassle free holiday. San Francisco, it seems, does not shape up well to that ideal. So we are now looking to alter the travelling parts of our holiday to go through Singapore in both directions. Luckily it won't cost us anything to cancel flights and re-route!

catbert
June 7th, 2019, 05:25 AM
I see there's a pen show in Singapore next month. https://www.wellappointeddesk.com/2019-pen-show-schedule/

ethernautrix
June 7th, 2019, 05:30 AM
Oh well. If you come through Wrocław, Poland., I'd be happy to play tour guide. Last week, I showed my well-travelled friends around this beautiful city, and they very much enjoyed it and felt safe. Much easier on the pocketbook than San Francisco (by a wide margin). Of course, getting here is expensive....

I know. It's a silly suggestion. I know. It isn't convenient at all. But... Wrocław is a beautiful city with a fucked-up history, a city that is still coming into its own and not... um, San Francisco. There is no Gordo or Mifune equivalent, and Polish is more code than easily apprehensible, but there are plenty of lovely aspects, from the many parks and bike paths and more and more diverse restauants and the very reasonable train fares to other lovely Polish cities with access to towns and villages, to recommend it.

I've never been to Singapore. Maybe you'll consider posting photos and your impressions of the city. Hm? (Laughing to myself, cos I'm thinking noodles. MmmmNoodles. Tall buildings, too, yes, yes, but... noodles!)

azkid
June 7th, 2019, 07:46 AM
The last time I was in San Francisco was 2013. I keep reading all these horror stories in mild disbelief, and with alarm, because the city was nothing like this six years ago.

I too would love to see/hear of your travels to Singapore.

Also I can personally vouch for Denver as a destination should anyone find themselves heading in this general direction. I'd be happy to play tour guide.

Chrissy
June 7th, 2019, 12:31 PM
I visited SF 16 years ago and absolutely loved it. One day I hope to go back there.

ethernautrix
June 7th, 2019, 01:17 PM
As I said, folks I've talked to (or who were interpreted for me after learning I'm from SF) who visited in the last coupla years had nothing bad to say about the city. Maybe they were being polite, but none of their reactions to "San Francisco" was negative. Two of my oldest friends visited SF last year (they honeymooned there about 25 years ago and have been back several times) loved their visits(s).

It's probably different living there than visiting, and I'm not trying to convince Mr. and Mrs. EoC to go anywhere. Wrocław was merely a suggestion, even though their coming here is on the far side of remote.

I still think SF would be lovely to visit. All tourist destinations have a dark side, and it behooves tourists (and residents) to be alert. Certainly doesn't mean you can't enjoy the place.

AzJon
June 7th, 2019, 01:47 PM
As I said, folks I've talked to (or who were interpreted for me after learning I'm from SF) who visited in the last coupla years had nothing bad to say about the city. Maybe they were being polite, but none of their reactions to "San Francisco" was negative. Two of my oldest friends visited SF last year (they honeymooned there about 25 years ago and have been back several times) loved their visits(s).

It's probably different living there than visiting, and I'm not trying to convince Mr. and Mrs. EoC to go anywhere. Wrocław was merely a suggestion, even though their coming here is on the far side of remote.

I still think SF would be lovely to visit. All tourist destinations have a dark side, and it behooves tourists (and residents) to be alert. Certainly doesn't mean you can't enjoy the place.

The alarmist commentary about SF in this thread...Its not like anyone is going to Fresno! ;)

FWIW San Francisco, despite what many of the fearful are saying, offers quite a bit of slowing down. If New York is the City That Never Sleeps, San Francisco is the city that leaves work early on Friday, has a few beers in the park, eats a burrito, and passes out at 8.

Empty_of_Clouds
June 7th, 2019, 03:51 PM
The choice of SF as a stopover was mainly mine - never been there, and it had the pen show. My wife though has zero desire to visit the US, and it dawned on me (slowly because I am a bit dim) that the choice to go to SF was rather selfish on my part. The swap to Singapore is to remove that selfishness and replace it with something she is super happy to do. Her face positively lit up when I suggested it, so it is clearly the right decision for us as a couple. What I feel about this is somewhat irrelevant.

@ethernautrix, thanks for the offer. If I ever get back to Europe for a tour I may just take you up on that!

calamus
June 7th, 2019, 04:57 PM
I apologize if my personal distaste for San Francisco created any problems for you, EoC, and I do hope that your stopover in Singapore will be wonderful and that it will end up being one of those "all's well that ends well" sorts of things.

California in general is going through a rough patch. I've lived here for most of my life. It was much better in many ways some years ago, and hopefully will be again. Right now, not so good. I feel trapped here -- I'm too old and all my assets are too tied up to make moving anywhere else very likely, and I guess some of my anguish leaked out onto my keyboard.

Empty_of_Clouds
June 7th, 2019, 06:13 PM
Calamus, I have assumed that your views on SF were honest, and so yes that opinion has played a significant part in our decision. However, this is not a finger pointing exercise. Rather it is a lesson for me to sharpen up my due diligence before I make expensive decisions (this one has cost us $700 to change which will impact on other aspects of our trip).

Largely I am kicking myself for not noticing my wife's agitation about the US in the first place.

The stopover in Singapore will be wonderful, I am sure.

calamus
June 8th, 2019, 01:38 PM
$700 -- ouch! that's a Montblanc or a Visconti!

Jon Szanto
June 8th, 2019, 02:43 PM
I apologize if my personal distaste for San Francisco created any problems for you, EoC, and I do hope that your stopover in Singapore will be wonderful and that it will end up being one of those "all's well that ends well" sorts of things.

California in general is going through a rough patch. I've lived here for most of my life. It was much better in many ways some years ago, and hopefully will be again. Right now, not so good. I feel trapped here -- I'm too old and all my assets are too tied up to make moving anywhere else very likely, and I guess some of my anguish leaked out onto my keyboard.

On the other hand, I’ve lived here essentially all my life, moving here as a 4-year-old in the mid-1950s, and as much as I have travelled I am always happy to return. There isn’t any place I’d rather live, and the opportunities I’ve had here over my lifespan would be hard to duplicate elsewhere. A state of miraculous physical beauty and a vivid and unruly history, it still manages to lead the way in a country where large chunks seem to be slowly sliding into the Dark Ages. We’re going to have our hands full with the oncoming effects of climate change, but no one is left out of that.

This is home for me.

Empty_of_Clouds
June 8th, 2019, 03:45 PM
There's a big difference between living somewhere - when things become ingrained in your daily life - and visiting an unfamiliar place (which while often an engaging challenge, is not always desirable).

My view of SF obviously stems from a romanticised 60's image of a laid back hippy kind of life situated on a beautiful landscape, which is apparently a million miles from what it is today according to reports.

Jon Szanto
June 8th, 2019, 04:08 PM
You've made your decision, and it is probably the right one. That said, SF is still one of the remarkably unique cities of the world, with enough of it's essence left to make it worth visiting for many. I do fear, though, that the tech juggernaut may have pushed it past the tipping point, which would certainly be sad.

I've not been to Singapore and have only viewed it from afar over the last number of years. I find it virtually impossible to think of it as a relaxed vacation stop, but not having been there, I'd never say for certain. Fortunately, my most recent 'views' of it ended up balancing each other out: the mania and avarice (if humorous) of "Crazy Rich Asians" was very well tempered by an episode of "Street Food" that followed a young woman who is saving the tradition of a particular Singaporean delicacy in her food stall. Lovely story.

Have a good time.

Empty_of_Clouds
June 8th, 2019, 04:08 PM
The plus side (pen wise) of going to Singapore is the opportunity to visit the amusingly named Fook Hing Trading Co. Though naturally because of this...

$700 -- ouch! that's a Montblanc or a Visconti!

… I won't be able to afford to buy anything. Not that I would ever pay $700 for a pen of course.

Another advantage is that the temperature will be around 30 degrees (86F to our US members) so we will be able to go for a swim without need for wetsuits!

Empty_of_Clouds
June 8th, 2019, 05:07 PM
You've made your decision, and it is probably the right one. That said, SF is still one of the remarkably unique cities of the world, with enough of it's essence left to make it worth visiting for many. I do fear, though, that the tech juggernaut may have pushed it past the tipping point, which would certainly be sad.

I've not been to Singapore and have only viewed it from afar over the last number of years. I find it virtually impossible to think of it as a relaxed vacation stop, but not having been there, I'd never say for certain. Fortunately, my most recent 'views' of it ended up balancing each other out: the mania and avarice (if humorous) of "Crazy Rich Asians" was very well tempered by an episode of "Street Food" that followed a young woman who is saving the tradition of a particular Singaporean delicacy in her food stall. Lovely story.

Have a good time.

Thanks. As an individual I have no qualms about going anywhere much, and I've been to some pretty dodgy and dangerous places in my time, but I think it is the right decision for us as a couple. As for Singapore, well we have a few friends who live/are from there*, my parents were stationed there for several years and my older sister was born there. My wife and I even speak the main two languages (though my Mandarin is serviceable rather than elegant). Basically there is much that we will find familiar, or at least understandable.

*by contrast, apart from two penpals we have no friends anywhere in the US.

LeFreak
June 8th, 2019, 11:18 PM
I have lived in San Francisco for over 30 years and am now officially an old woman living there. The city is fine. It has no more problems than any other city of a similar size. All of this alarmist BS just makes me laugh. And I say that as someone living in the Upper Haight, which is not exactly the cleanest of areas.

Frankly, the worst problem with the city is all of the billionaires who now live here.

Chemyst
June 8th, 2019, 11:21 PM
I have lived in San Francisco for over 30 years and am now officially an old woman living there. The city is fine. It has no more problems than any other city of a similar size. All of this alarmist BS just makes me laugh.

Shhhhh! Don’t tell people that! You’re going to ruin it!

LeFreak
June 8th, 2019, 11:22 PM
I have lived in San Francisco for over 30 years and am now officially an old woman living there. The city is fine. It has no more problems than any other city of a similar size. All of this alarmist BS just makes me laugh.

Shhhhh! Don’t tell people that! You’re going to ruin it for the locals!Too late,,, Zuckerberg is here!

Chemyst
June 8th, 2019, 11:28 PM

Shhhhh! Don’t tell people that! You’re going to ruin it for the locals!Too late,,, Zuckerberg is here!

Can you blame him?

The principal problem with the Bay Area is that it is too perfect. Everyone wants to live there!

Chemyst
June 8th, 2019, 11:36 PM
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48028256041_674c0a890b_o.jpg (https://www.sfpenshow.com/)

ethernautrix
June 12th, 2019, 05:53 AM
The principal problem with the Bay Area is that it is too perfect. Everyone wants to live there!

Or California in general. It's always been a lure for relocation.

I've discovered that now I prefer less crowded cities, which came as a huge surprise to this big-city girl.

I do miss all the cultural and entertainment offerings (in English) - even browsing bookstores (kindv pointless for me po polsku), but I love the architecture and bike paths and parks in Wrocław, plus the easy access to other parts by train and bike. Just Sunday, my friends and I took the train to Wałbrzych (an hour away), then rode our bikes up and down the mountain to Sokołowsko, then back to Wałbrzych and the train. So much love (it).

BTW, if any of you venture to Wrocław and want a pen meeting or just to meet and get some information about this city, let me know. As long as I'm here (duration always uncertain) , I'll be happy to meet up with pen people.

calamus
June 12th, 2019, 02:05 PM
https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fww1.hdnux.com%2Fphotos%2F30%2F62% 2F24%2F6497596%2F3%2F1600x1600.jpg&f=1

https://s.hdnux.com/photos/37/56/04/8315192/7/920x920.jpg

https://images.wsj.net/im-80221/social

https://sfpublicpress.org/files/news/tent_encampments_m.stoll_.jpg

https://media.globalcitizen.org/thumbnails/fd/3f/fd3f0f69-f644-42e3-bc45-626d1368ed37/23864863426_ae2d2d2ab3_k.jpg__1500x670_q85_crop_su bsampling-2.jpg

https://archinect.imgix.net/uploads/3d/3dfd9ac65c10c733aed27d4ebcc3b3ec.jpg?auto=compress %2Cformat

AzJon
June 12th, 2019, 03:46 PM
Calamus, I fail to see the relevance. Other than your "it was better in the good old days!" malarkey, what point are you trying to make? That there are Homeless in SF? You see the same problem in NY and DC. Hell, you see that in Phoenix, Arizona. Here's an image from Auckland, NZ: https://www.whaleoil.net.nz/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/skynews-homeless-sleeping-rough_4388498-630x354.jpg

I will also repeat: the homeless in San Francisco are really pretty benign. I had one lady sing me amazing grace as a "thanks" for giving her a couple bucks. Another dude tried to give me his bag of weed because I gave him a $5 for him and his dog. On the scale of homeless people, there are a lot of them, but they really don't bother you that much.

here's one from Ukiah:

https://www.ukiahdailyjournal.com/wp-content/uploads/migration/2017/201712/NEWS_171219957_AR_0_WNZPAFSATGPW.jpg

Here's Eureka:

http://kymkemp.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/a45d818b-8942-406d-9a93-924b81951a50.jpg

Fun fact, I was assaulted in Eureka at a gas station by a dude that that looked mostly normal.

Homeless does not equal dangerous. Especially in a place like SF.

Jon Szanto
June 12th, 2019, 03:52 PM
Calamus, surely you know that this is neither SF-centric nor even California-centric. The growing income inequality in our nation is spinning off these unfortunate stories. Yes, there are junkies and bums and other bad citizens within those populations. SF may have a particularly keen edge to it's problem, with techbros stepping around these people while living lives with resources that are orders of magnitude more than the street person could dream of. That SF has developed in this manner in the last 2 decades is a modern phenomenon and problem... with roots in the past.

LA's homeless situation has exploded. We've even had an uptick of significance in San Diego. Seattle is out of control (another burgeoning tech hub with skyrocketing property values); Portland... I'm sure the list is long and wide and is societal in nature. Does CA, with it's amenable climate and wide spaces prove to be a fertile ground for this situation? I believe that is part of it, but I also believe that this is a nationwide change in economies and social cultures. It will have to be solved in a very large-scale manner. What bothers me is that, along with the skewing of personal economies, we've seen a hardening of hearts in our world, and a drawing back of the very nature of charity toward your fellow citizens. This, too, seems national in scope. Ugly hearts, wanting what they have and not wanting to share. Even old-school "christian charity" has been upended by the malignancy of the mega-churches, with their pastors living multi-million dollar lives.

Difficult times all over. No easy solutions.

calamus
June 12th, 2019, 05:33 PM
I wanted to provide some counterpoint to that uber-romanticized photograph of the stunning, glorious, everyone in the world wants to be here photograph of the bay.

I understand that homelessness is a worldwide problem, that there's something fundamentally wrong with society. I am also well aware that there are no easy answers to how to deal with it, or even to how we got to this point.

It seems to me, and I may be wrong, that the problem is particularly bad in San Francisco. (It's bad in California in general, and LA is off the Richter scale too, but this thread wasn't originally about visiting LA. And BTW, I'm not surprised that someone got assaulted by a "normal-looking" person in Eureka -- despite having a population under 30,000 it's got some big league problems, including one of the highest crime rates in the state.) I don't travel as much as I used to, and things may have gotten as bad elsewhere, perhaps in lots of places, in which case all I can say is, may God have mercy on us all. Because San Francisco is like a nightmare, pretty sunset shots of the bay notwithstanding.

calamus
June 12th, 2019, 05:53 PM
Here's Eureka:

http://kymkemp.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/a45d818b-8942-406d-9a93-924b81951a50.jpg

Fun fact, I was assaulted in Eureka at a gas station by a dude that that looked mostly normal.

Homeless does not equal dangerous. Especially in a place like SF.

I lived in Eureka from 2006 to 2014. By the time I moved away from there I'd had the windows of my car smashed in, people defecating in my front yard, and a couple of blocks away from me a 13 year old kid got shot and killed on the local playground. And yet it always seemed like a safe haven when I'd get back from San Francisco on the few occasions that I'd have to go there. And I've encountered grateful and entertaining panhandlers in Eureka; they are not exclusive to San Francisco. And I've encountered some very scary street people in San Francisco too. There's a wide range of types in any population anywhere. Anyway, there's something very cold and hard about San Francisco that I've never encountered anywhere else except for New York. The place just creeps me out.

calamus
June 12th, 2019, 09:31 PM
I wanted to provide some counterpoint to that uber-romanticized photograph of the stunning, glorious, everyone in the world wants to be here photograph of the bay.

Oh, you were making a couterpoint?

I took it as agreement. Everyone literally does want to live in the Bay Area! Houses cannot be built fast enough! Even the most destitute want to live in this area. From billionaires to to the penniless, the Bay Area is the place to be!

Everyone? Literally? Are you delusional, or do you work for their Chamber of Commerce? It's true that a certain sort of person is attracted to the Bay Area, but it's equally true that there are those who find it absolutely repulsive. You literally (and I mean that in the nonfigurative sense) couldn't pay me enough to live there.

calamus
June 12th, 2019, 09:52 PM
Calamus, surely you know that this is neither SF-centric nor even California-centric. The growing income inequality in our nation is spinning off these unfortunate stories. Yes, there are junkies and bums and other bad citizens within those populations. SF may have a particularly keen edge to it's problem, with techbros stepping around these people while living lives with resources that are orders of magnitude more than the street person could dream of. That SF has developed in this manner in the last 2 decades is a modern phenomenon and problem... with roots in the past.

LA's homeless situation has exploded. We've even had an uptick of significance in San Diego. Seattle is out of control (another burgeoning tech hub with skyrocketing property values); Portland... I'm sure the list is long and wide and is societal in nature. Does CA, with it's amenable climate and wide spaces prove to be a fertile ground for this situation? I believe that is part of it, but I also believe that this is a nationwide change in economies and social cultures. It will have to be solved in a very large-scale manner. What bothers me is that, along with the skewing of personal economies, we've seen a hardening of hearts in our world, and a drawing back of the very nature of charity toward your fellow citizens. This, too, seems national in scope. Ugly hearts, wanting what they have and not wanting to share. Even old-school "christian charity" has been upended by the malignancy of the mega-churches, with their pastors living multi-million dollar lives.

Difficult times all over. No easy solutions.

I don't think it's primarily an economic issue, although there's an economic component to it, particularly once people hit the streets. Why they end up there often has other factors at the fore. I knew a physicist in LA who had a great job, nice house, lots of money, and then fell apart when his wife divorced him. He hit the bottle, lost his job, and ended up living under a tarp by a creek in Topanga Canyon. While most of the people on Skid Row aren't former physicists, many of them are, in fact, mentally ill. I think society is sick, perhaps even rotten to the core. Contemporary values that are being shoved at us through the media and elsewhere are rotten. The fundamental building block of society is the family, and the family is under unrelenting attack by the rot, and has become fragmented and incapable of providing the emotional support people -- and especially children -- need to be healthy, well-functioning human beings. To quote Yeats, "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."

Farmboy
June 12th, 2019, 11:43 PM
For what it is worth, the pen show really isn’t in San Francisco but it sounds better than Redwood City Pen Show. Just keep it our little secret.

RWS
June 13th, 2019, 12:44 AM
Thank you Farmboy for bringing us back to the pen show.

Now that EoC isn't attending, will I be the only person there?

I am flying in to SF on Thurs 22nd August, staying in the city centre, then leaving on a hired motorbike round northern California on Monday 26th for a week or so. You are all making me think that I may as well cancel the motorbike hire as I won't survive that long. (joke)

Certainly there will be events to make the trip interesting, but who want boring?

I agree about the rise in polarisation in society, we have it here in the UK. Homelessness is increasing, a lot of people are finding it hard to make ends meet. Unfortunately some think this is due to deliberate government policy with their "reform" of the benefits system.

As an elderly neighbour of ours used to say, "I am glad that I am on the way out".

Chemyst
June 13th, 2019, 01:00 AM

Oh, you were making a couterpoint?

I took it as agreement. Everyone literally does want to live in the Bay Area! Houses cannot be built fast enough! Even the most destitute want to live in this area. From billionaires to to the penniless, the Bay Area is the place to be!

Everyone? Literally? Are you delusional, or do you work for their Chamber of Commerce? It's true that a certain sort of person is attracted to the Bay Area, but it's equally true that there are those who find it absolutely repulsive. You literally (and I mean that in the nonfigurative sense) couldn't pay me enough to live there.

Haha!

Well as you were kind enough to post for all of us, the city is incredibly diverse and the number one problem seems to be how to accommodate everyone who wants to live in this (relatively) small corner of America.

We can argue about whether it is the weather, culture, social safety net, jobs or something else that is the draw, but the main problem with SF in particular and CA in general is that it is so nice that far more people want to live there than can be accommodated at present. That statement seems to be almost universally true, regardless of how much the supply of "good stuff" is increased! :cool::rockon::cool:

guyy
June 13th, 2019, 04:41 AM
If someone is bothered about economic inequality & injustice, i don't think the show being in Redwood City is going to help.

Empty_of_Clouds
June 13th, 2019, 04:58 AM
While it may be just a shop, the Fook Hing Trading Co. will be my mini pen show. At least I should be able to handle a few modern pens. And if I want to look at fancy stuff I can head down to Aesthetic Bay.

catbert
June 13th, 2019, 04:59 AM
On a tangentially related note:
Want to get drunk and play with rats? San Francisco has your bait (https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/jun/13/rat-bar-san-francisco-dungeon-pop-up)

catbert
June 13th, 2019, 05:04 AM
While it may be just a shop, the Fook Hing Trading Co. will be my mini pen show. At least I should be able to handle a few modern pens. And if I want to look at fancy stuff I can head down to Aesthetic Bay.

There is also Overjoyed (https://www.overjoyed.xyz/home), though I believe they are moving.

Empty_of_Clouds
June 13th, 2019, 05:59 AM
Thanks for the link. Some decent prices there, and free shipping on orders over SGD$100.

ethernautrix
June 15th, 2019, 04:36 AM
Cities... pens.... It all comes down to what we want and what we can afford, what we're willing to do.

I feel bad for calamus that he's stuck living in a place he despises. Place is important to me -- and sometimes the place changes, or I change (most likely both), and it's a kind of torture feeling stuck.

I'm the type of person who believes that one always has a choice -- to stay or to leave. Not saying at all that it's easy. But when it becomes harder to stay the course than to make the difficult change... that's usually when a person takes action. And sometimes changing directions brings a whole new set of (hooray!) problems. As Tony Millionaire says, "You can't protect yourself."

Anyway... I would encourage all pen people, collectors and users, hobbyists and dabblers, and all in between, plus the curious and the shy, locals and travellers -- attend the SF Pen Show. Attend A pen show, anywhere you can. Give it a try. The SF show, in particular, has been very well received since its latest incarnation (the current team of organizers), and if I would be in the Bay Area at the end of August, I would go without hesitation.

And if you're in Wrocław (again with the invitation), you know... if I'm here (and should be for at least a few more months), I will be happy to meet and talk pens and perhaps tiresomely point out what I find intreesting about this city.

Empty_of_Clouds
June 15th, 2019, 04:58 AM
On a serious note here (stupid taggers notwithstanding)

I've been to shows. Not pens shows, obviously, shows of other things. I doubt a pen show is significantly different from any other kind of hobbyist show.

On a slightly different slant; if I was heavily interested in vintage pens then I most likely would be more enthusiastic to attend. However, as I live in a country where vintage pens are almost non-existent, this aspect of pens is not really a viable direction in which to proceed. So, because vintage pens are a dead end for me*, I must rely on modern pens. These I can find much more readily when I am on my various travels in the Asia-Pacific region.

*having solid, trustworthy connections in other countries would go some way to mitigating the local problem, but such connections have never been forthcoming.

ethernautrix
June 15th, 2019, 05:19 AM
EoC, aren't you going to England on this trip? There are shows (I don't know when, though) and pen clubs or meet-ups.

If locals aren't issuing invitations, perhaps you could "forthcome" a suggestion about meeting, expressing your interest in vintage pens and what kind of information you're seeking.

I know at least a coupla pen vendors in England. Probably Mike Selway would be a good connection, cos he sells mostly vintage. Can't remember off the top of me head where in England, though. He's come to all seven years of Pen Show Poland-- and I consider him (and his wife) a friend.

Ahahaha! I spelled my "me," which is funny, cos that's what I thought as I was writing, and then I thought, no, don't play around, just write "my," and then my inner prankster obviously took control and defied me. Hahaha.

Empty_of_Clouds
June 15th, 2019, 05:39 AM
I don't have time for a pen show in England (if there was even one on during my trip). Also, considering this is a family visit I don't really have time to meet any pen individuals*. In my previous post I was talking more generally. Bear in mind that it is 12 years since I have been home, so not exactly a regular occurrence!

*again, nobody else has suggested this. I couldn't do so because I don't know anyone, and besides which I am going to be away in the West Country - not exactly pen territory - and will not be visiting any of the major centres.

carlos.q
June 16th, 2019, 03:33 PM
On a slightly different slant; if I was heavily interested in vintage pens then I most likely would be more enthusiastic to attend. However, as I live in a country where vintage pens are almost non-existent, this aspect of pens is not really a viable direction in which to proceed. So, because vintage pens are a dead end for me*, I must rely on modern pens.

With all due respect, I can understand your argument but do not share your conclusion as my experience has been different. I also live in a country where vintage pens are almost non-existent. However 90% of my pens are vintage.

I guess the trick is I don't buy pens on eBay. I have bought my vintage pens from reliable vendors and have returned them when found faulty or not to my liking. It's a bit more expensive but makes for a lot less problems!

Empty_of_Clouds
June 22nd, 2019, 02:50 AM
Fair point. Here there are a lot of factors that may cause problems. For example, long delivery times and high postal costs (depending on vendor and location - but most locations for me are US and UK, so a long way to go). Together with this I've never had much of an instinct for who to go with (there are one or two people I know of, that's all). And of course buying vintage pens, in my mind at least, should be about discovery in the market place rather than simply what one can afford to pay.

That our conclusions are different does not invalidate either of them. :)

Further to this, education plays a big role. Relatively recently I spotted what I thought was an unusual model of a vintage brand. As I was unsure in my assessment I brought it to the attention of a member here who I know collects this brand. They snapped it up immediately! Of course, you could say this is a nice thing for me to do for a fellow member, but on the other hand I missed out on getting something unique too. The gap in knowledge of vintage pens makes every purchase a real gamble.

RWS
August 20th, 2019, 10:48 AM
Just to revive an old favourite thread.

I should be flying from Manchester to SF on Thursday, and plan to visit the SF Pen Show on Saturday 24th. If you see a strange person / particularly handsome young man in leather trousers that are held up by leather braces (I believe they are called suspenders in the USA), please feel free to say hello.

No, I am not into the leather scene. I am hiring a motorbike after the weekend and riding round California for a couple of weeks.

See you there!

Roger (RWS)

Jon Szanto
August 20th, 2019, 11:01 AM
No, I am not into the leather scene. I am hiring a motorbike after the weekend and riding round California for a couple of weeks.

Capital idea! That may be the one thing that outdoes the pen show. I'll keep an eye out for you.

BTW, you probably already have an itinerary, but you could do a lot worse than heading north out of the Bay area and taking in the scenery of the No. California coastline on Highway 1. I was recently doing just that on a quick trip:

https://i.imgur.com/ssSOSCV.jpg

RWS
August 21st, 2019, 02:10 AM
Hello Jon,

Yes indeed, North on Hwy 1 to Ferndale, inland to Redding, Lake Tauoe, Lee Vinning, Yosemite, back to the coast at San Sebastian, Monterey, back to SF. Note that I have chosen to travel North on Hwy 1, so I am not right on the edge and likely to be blown off the road on the exposed sections.

I doubt whether my tourist snaps will be as good as your picture though.

Look forward to meeting you at the show.

Roger

TonyG
August 21st, 2019, 02:55 AM
I have done almost all those roads over the years- but on a bicycle. You can't go wrong.

About the wind here- it comes out of the northwest, off the ocean, going north on 1 you'll be in a headwind. Not that it will make a difference, you have a motor :-)

I should be at the show saturday, I'll look for you.

RWS
August 21st, 2019, 05:28 AM
It's a long time since I was on pedal power. There is nthing more demoralising than riding into a headwind all day.

650cc of Japanese V-twin makes all the difference.

See you on Saturday.
Roger

Pendragon
August 25th, 2019, 02:46 PM
The organizers of the SF Pen Show show are bona fide fountain pen gods. Man, the place was packed like a can of sardines! To say it is successful would be a huge understatement. Lots of exhibitors, lots of really nice people, and about 8 million pens. Pen shows = super useful + fun to attend. Super easy access for both locals and those coming in from out of town, as well. The pen show special discounts are great, too! I scored a very nice Nakabayashi Logical Prime notebook and Girologio pen case for less than $35. Wow, top quality.

BTW, you probably already have an itinerary, but you could do a lot worse than heading north out of the Bay area and taking in the scenery of the No. California coastline on Highway 1. I was recently doing just that on a quick trip:

That is an excellent photo, and a perfect example of the beautiful Northern California coastline. Where was that picture taken?

Yes indeed, North on Hwy 1 to Ferndale, inland to Redding, Lake Tauoe, Lee Vinning, Yosemite, back to the coast at San Sebastian, Monterey, back to SF. Note that I have chosen to travel North on Hwy 1, so I am not right on the edge and likely to be blown off the road on the exposed sections.
The drive up Highway 1 is so awesome, it won't really make that much difference. You certainly chose a very scenic route.

For many years, I used to drive up the coast this time of the year. Often amazing, always beautiful, and there are interesting towns and side trips along the way. For example, Annapolis Winery (http://www.annapoliswinery.com/) is about 10 miles inland from Sea Ranch, itself a cool and trippy place. @Empty_of_Clouds or anyone else, if you are ever in Northern California, I highly recommend a drive up Highway 1 north of San Francisco. It really is that amazing, and just like Jon's photo. There are times when it is like an incredible scene out of a fantasy novel.

An alternate route is to go up 101 north to River Road (just north of Santa Rosa), and head through the Russian River Valley to the coast. You get a drive through redwood forests and then the coast. There are a many wineries along the Russian River, and also some great brewpubs and craft breweries. If you don't ride a motorcycle, then perhaps rent a Jeep Wrangler, preferably with a convertible top.

Jon Szanto
August 26th, 2019, 12:45 AM
The organizers of the SF Pen Show show are bona fide fountain pen gods. Man, the place was packed like a can of sardines! To say it is successful would be a huge understatement.

I just got back to San Diego after the 8-hour drive (probably would have been 30 minutes less had it not been for traffic in God-forsaken LA...).

But holy hell, what a GREAT show this year. I've been attending SF since Todd, Ricky and Syd took over the show a few years ago, and I thought last year it topped out. Man, it was so rocking this year, it was insane. Including the fact that I missed a bunch of people, like RWS and Pendragon. Just so many people happening, especially on Saturday. I'm definitely going to do a recap but it will be a few days. I also am going to have to pull some photos from other sources as I didn't do enough but... wow. I don't know what can happen next year, they have almost completely maxed out the facility! I'm exhausted and yet totally wired.

That is an excellent photo, and a perfect example of the beautiful Northern California coastline. Where was that picture taken?

That is just at a pullout just barely north of Stewarts Point, north of Bodega Bay.

FredRydr
August 26th, 2019, 03:26 AM
But holy hell, what a GREAT show this year.
Are you richer or poorer for the experience?

That is just at a pullout just barely north of Stewarts Point, north of Bodega Bay.
See any birds?
https://www.bodegabay.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/x-birds23-1.jpg

Jon Szanto
August 26th, 2019, 10:54 AM
Are you richer or poorer for the experience?

Yes.

See any birds?

Not in scary numbers!

Pendragon
August 26th, 2019, 04:07 PM
I just got back to San Diego after the 8-hour drive (probably would have been 30 minutes less had it not been for traffic in God-forsaken LA...).

But holy hell, what a GREAT show this year. I've been attending SF since Todd, Ricky and Syd took over the show a few years ago, and I thought last year it topped out. Man, it was so rocking this year, it was insane. Including the fact that I missed a bunch of people, like RWS and Pendragon. Just so many people happening, especially on Saturday. I'm definitely going to do a recap but it will be a few days. I also am going to have to pull some photos from other sources as I didn't do enough but... wow. I don't know what can happen next year, they have almost completely maxed out the facility! I'm exhausted and yet totally wired.
I was thinking the same thing. Not only was the main exhibition room completely maxed out, so were the little room and alcove in front of it. The show even spilled out a wee bit into the hallway in front. Amazing! The place was so jam packed that it would be hard to find anyone. It is almost certain that additional space will be needed for next year's show.

I am lucky to live very close by, and so did not have to do the exhausted part. Hope you recover from your long journey, and look forward to reading your recap when you do.

If it is the Stewarts Point I am thinking of, it is a hamlet way north of Bodega Bay, not so far from Sea Ranch. That whole stretch of coastline is just amazing.

Jon Szanto
August 26th, 2019, 04:41 PM
The place was so jam packed that it would be hard to find anyone. It is almost certain that additional space will be needed for next year's show.

Syd, one of the show organizers, has already said they spoke with the hotel and are adding 1000+ sq ft of additional space next year. They are aware of the perils of a successful show!

If it is the Stewarts Point I am thinking of, it is a hamlet way north of Bodega Bay, not so far from Sea Ranch. That whole stretch of coastline is just amazing.

My bad. It is further north, just south of Sea Ranch. Every inch of that coast is so wild.

RWS
August 26th, 2019, 08:47 PM
Currently in Jenner, after a very hot ride up the Napa valley, then down the Russian River valley. Looking forward to the ride up the coast tomorrow. Very misty on the coast though. Hope it clears in the morning.

I called in the SF Lamy store on Sunday. They were offering 20% off everything, but couldn't tempt me. The young man in the store was very knowledgeable. Really interested in his pens.

Pendragon
August 27th, 2019, 12:59 AM
They have a Lamy store in San Francisco? That might be worth a visit. You have willpower to pass up 20% off.

Napa does get pretty hot, especially this time of year. The fog often comes in on the coast during the evening, but usually burns off by about 10 am or noon at the latest. About 15 miles north of Jenner you will see Fort Ross right by the highway. It is an interesting example of Russian colonization in the early 1800s, and worth a visit if you are into that sort of thing. There used to be good abalone diving around there, too, but the season has been closed for a couple of years now.

Happy Trails!

Empty_of_Clouds
September 14th, 2019, 12:04 AM
Have arrived home in New Zealand.

Of the UK portion of our travels I will say little, as this was a personal trip for family reasons.

For the rest, in brief.

Singapore: hot, damn hot in fact. Every. Day.

In general, if you are visiting, bring a big hat! And don't bother going to Sentosa island unless you are a fan of the Disney grotesquerie.

Food: tons of it everywhere, all good, something for every palate as well as the adventurous.

Pens: Parker, Waterman, Lamy, Cross and Montblanc can be found in most malls, usually in a department store rather than a specific pen shop.

The Fook Hing Trading Co. has a reasonable selection of pens - the usual luxury suspects - and it was here that I first got my hands on a modern Aurora. The 88 is quite a modest size, though nicely balanced when posted, and I would buy one in a heartbeat (there's one colourway that really attracted me) if I could justify spending so much on just a pen (if I sold everything else I may be tempted). Also fondled a Dani trio (don't recall the model, but I think it may have been a Genkai). Very nice too!

Aesthetic Bay was interesting. The owner was really sweet, but his English is very poor and so communication was awkward. As a result I didn't hang around for long, which was disappointing. I did handle a few Nakaya pens, but eschewed everything else in the shop (wanted to hold the larger Pelikans for instance) because of the language barrier. Regarding Nakaya, in my opinion the basic lacquer work is not worth the $650 starting price. It is not so very different from the way kitchenware is lacquered; it feels and looks the same to me, and thus deters. The more interesting finishes, on the other hand, like the stoneware ishime, are perhaps more suitable to such pricing and above. The dorsal fins were interesting, but not as it turned out enough to sway me. All the Nakaya pens I handled were incredibly light, and this is by no means a criticism of them, but often the nibs looked disproportionately small to my eyes and tastes.

I bought no pens, inks, or stationery.

Oh, and Singapore is hot. Did I mention that?

ps. On our last day (return trip to NZ), we noticed the notorious Chilean barquentine (four-mast tall ship) - the Esmerelda - was in port. The ship is now used as a naval training vessel (as opposed to General Pinochet's floating torture chamber). Anyway, we were allowed aboard so we took a look. Beautiful vessel, despite its dark past.

BillE
September 14th, 2019, 12:47 AM
Pen shows are Awesome! The one I go to also has the aspect of a pop-up museum in that it is in a large metropolitan area and a lot of people come just to look at the pens. There is early admission on Friday which is great because you get first pick AND it is mainly only pen geeks at that time.

azkid
September 14th, 2019, 07:48 AM
Glad you're back OK and sounds like you had quite an adventure. The last few years I more often than not wilt like a delicate flower in too much heat. I do kind of look forward to food as a major part of travel. I have a feeling I'd love that place... In winter.

Empty_of_Clouds
September 14th, 2019, 03:39 PM
Oh yes, in Winter the temperature drops dramatically from 33 degrees Celsius (average Summer temp) to 31 degrees. Makes all the difference! :) Actually, a great deal of the eating can be had in aircon places, so it's not too bad. Note that humidity is often high though, which in my opinion makes it feel a lot hotter.

azkid
September 14th, 2019, 08:39 PM
OK, well... I think I will just look at pictures of the place, then. :)