PDA

View Full Version : Esterbrook was revived?

Elim
October 29th, 2018, 04:26 AM
I was poking around the internet and tumbled across this article. http://blog.andersonpens.com/pen-review-new-esterbrook-j-series-pens/

Does anyone know what has happened since the review?

sgtstretch
October 29th, 2018, 07:16 AM
That Esterbrook continued to make shitty overpriced Chinese pens until earlier this year. Kenro pens (the US distributor for Aurora & Montegrappa) bought the rights to Esterbrook, and just recently released the Esterbrook Estie, which is more in line with the original J series. It's pricey, but much higher quality, and has an adapter to take original J series nibs.

aquafox
October 29th, 2018, 01:51 PM
Can't comment on current Esterbrook production - never held one - but I read people prefer the Moonman M100 over the pricier Estie

penwash
October 29th, 2018, 02:37 PM
I saw the new "Estie" in person, it's a modern pen without any traces of what makes vintage Esterbrook so endearing.

Yes, the nib adapter is a nod in the right direction, but the pen itself is practically indistinguishable from other cigar-shaped acrylic pens.

And we haven't even get to their pricing model, which confuse me even more.

grainweevil
October 30th, 2018, 03:51 AM
Yes, the nib adapter is a nod in the right direction, but the pen itself is practically indistinguishable from other cigar-shaped acrylic pens.

And we haven't even get to their pricing model, which confuse me even more.

Arguably, had the original Esterbrook company survived, and given that cigar-shaped acrylic pens are becoming so ubiquitous, they might well have been producing exactly that themselves. But the pricing, yeah, I really don't see what they're trying to do there. It reminds me of the recent Manuscript "1856" effort at an acrylic higher-end FP. The theory's nice, but certain brands just aren't associated with higher prices, and no-one's much willing to pay them however good the product may be.

I should probably confess that I find vintage Esterbrooks rather over-rated*, and certainly over here in Blightly, ridiculously over-priced, so I may be taking a more sanguine view of the whole thing than true devotees of the brand.

*Don't throw things. Please. :ph34r:

penwash
October 30th, 2018, 12:02 PM
Arguably, had the original Esterbrook company survived, and given that cigar-shaped acrylic pens are becoming so ubiquitous, they might well have been producing exactly that themselves.
*Don't throw things. Please. :ph34r:

First of all, we're just discussing this as an observer, so no argument here :)

Regarding whether Esterbrook **might** eventually produce a cigar-shaped pen or not, I think, at least the way I see it, is not an excuse for not at least giving a little visual cues as an homage to the most popular model of the brand, the Esterbrook J.

Let's take the modern Wahl Decoband for example. That pen is easily 2x the size of the original vintage one, with different material, and internal parts. But just at a glance you will recognize and understand why that modern pen is called "Wahl Decoband". It contributed to why the buyers love it even though it's a $800 pen.

Now, one thing I will give Kenro the benefit of the doubt, is that they may purposely want to come up with a different look, because it wasn't their intention to celebrate the vintage Esterbrook models. The pen collector in me may wish it, but that doesn't mean they are obligated to it.