PDA

View Full Version : Sailor Kobe Inks?

JustinJ
May 19th, 2013, 10:36 AM
I just purchased Sailor Kobe Emerald ink not too long ago. It is a very well behaved ink and has a nice saturated color to it. I may actually like it better than some of the Iroshizuku inks. The Sailor Kobe ink can be purchased for $20.00 shipping included on ebay, if you have not tried the ink yet.

I do have few questions and hopefully someone could answer them.

Is the Sailor Kobe ink the same formulation as the regular Sailor ink?

Has anyone purchased any of the brown Sailor Kobe inks, if so how do you like them?

reprieve
May 19th, 2013, 01:45 PM
I have Amber Arima; it's a very nice red-orange-brown. It is a close alternative to the (sadly) discontinued Sailor Red-brown which was a favorite of mine. I haven't tried any of the other browns, but I have Pink Okamoto, Emerald Nunobiki, and Suzuran Green, and they are all equally well-behaved. I've never had any trouble with any Sailor inks.

Laura N
May 19th, 2013, 07:00 PM
I looked at the swatches on eBay some months ago, and some of the inks did look the same as the Jentle inks. Not that I can tell definitively. I would like to try them, but I have so many inks to use that I can't justify any new purchases.

blopplop
May 19th, 2013, 07:41 PM
I have not tried any browns, but I can attest from the ones I have that they all behave perfectly for me. No problems at all.
I have: Orange Ikuta
Red Kitano Ijinkan
Wadamisaki Blue
Suzuran Green
Shioya Blue
Kounan Maroon

I was thinking of grabbing Arima Amber at this moment. I think I will.

These Kobe inks really have been hitting home with me. I too am liking them as much if not better than the Iroshizuku line.

Dave

blopplop
May 19th, 2013, 07:43 PM
Plus, buying them from cool-japan on ebay is just the way to go price-wise!

JustinJ
May 19th, 2013, 09:25 PM
I found the Kobe inks after ordering 3 Iroshizuku inks. In hindsight, I would have ordered three of the Sailor Kobe inks instead of the Iroshizuku. I am trying to justify ordering a Kobe brown, since the Iroshizuku just came in.

The only thing that I've noticed with Sailor inks is they have a distinct smell. It is a smell that I have not smelled in other inks. The smell does not bother me.

blopplop
May 19th, 2013, 10:41 PM
You're right, a very distinct smell. And call me weird, I kind of like it. :)

Nonsensical
May 20th, 2013, 12:06 AM
What is it about the Kobe inks that makes you like them more than the Iroshizuku? Colours? Performance? I have the opportunity to get my hands on more Iroshizuku soon, but would consider some Kobe inks instead.

P.S. I would be getting Iroshizuku ink at a very reasonable price ~$13-14USD.

JustinJ
May 20th, 2013, 07:32 PM
You're right, a very distinct smell. And call me weird, I kind of like it. :)

I am same way and find the smell interesting. One day I'm going to identify the smell.

JustinJ
May 20th, 2013, 07:49 PM
What is it about the Kobe inks that makes you like them more than the Iroshizuku? Colours? Performance? I have the opportunity to get my hands on more Iroshizuku soon, but would consider some Kobe inks instead.

I like the saturation and the color of the Sailor inks. It has a different writing feel in my Japanese fine nib pens than the Pilot Ink. I use Japanese fine nibs and find the Sailor allows a little more control. It has a good ink flow in all my pens. The Sailor colors are different than the Pilot in that I find them more artistic. The colors are interesting and not a standard type of color.

I still like the Iroshizuku inks a lot. I have four of them right now and sampled about 15 of them. There are a few Iroshizuku that are very interesting. I find the Kiri Sami a very unique ink. Also the Syro-Ryo is a great color in my opinion.

blopplop
May 21st, 2013, 12:00 AM

I like the saturation and the color of the Sailor inks. It has a different writing feel in my Japanese fine nib pens than the Pilot Ink. I use Japanese fine nibs and find the Sailor allows a little more control. It has a good ink flow in all my pens. The Sailor colors are different than the Pilot in that I find them more artistic. The colors are interesting and not a standard type of color.

I still like the Iroshizuku inks a lot. I have four of them right now and sampled about 15 of them. There are a few Iroshizuku that are very interesting. I find the Kiri Sami a very unique ink. Also the Syro-Ryo is a great color in my opinion.

I probably would have answered the question in the same way JustinJ did. I will only add that the type of saturation the Kobe inks have (at least the ones I own) has been consistent from color to color.

Dave

Nonsensical
May 21st, 2013, 12:25 AM
More specifically, do these behave like the regular Sailor Jentle series? I have a bottle of Sky High that I love.

By better control (as I also mainly use Japanese Fine nibs), do you mean that the flow is more controlled, or that it is slightly less lubricated and allows for more feedback than the Iroshizuku?

In your (collective) opinion(s), if I was to get just one bottle, which one would be 'the one' that must be had?

woosang
May 21st, 2013, 12:26 AM
Thanks to you guys I have bought 6 bottles.. Now I have to see if they are are good as the Jentle inks

blopplop
May 21st, 2013, 03:18 AM
Thanks to you guys I have bought 6 bottles.

Oops! :)

JustinJ
May 21st, 2013, 08:51 AM
Thanks to you guys I have bought 6 bottles.. Now I have to see if they are are good as the Jentle inks

I think that you will like them a lot. I am so tempted to buy one of the brown inks. The seller on Ebay is great. He packs the inks well and sends them quickly.

woosang
May 21st, 2013, 01:20 PM

I think that you will like them a lot. I am so tempted to buy one of the brown inks. The seller on Ebay is great. He packs the inks well and send them quickly.

Good news then :-)

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

JustinJ
May 21st, 2013, 04:12 PM
More specifically, do these behave like the regular Sailor Jentle series? I have a bottle of Sky High that I love.

By better control (as I also mainly use Japanese Fine nibs), do you mean that the flow is more controlled, or that it is slightly less lubricated and allows for more feedback than the Iroshizuku?

In your (collective) opinion(s), if I was to get just one bottle, which one would be 'the one' that must be had?

I find the Sailor Ink more lubricated than my Fuyu Gaki. The overall properties of the Sailor Inks contribute to the writing experience. Although, the Pilot and Sailor inks perform better than many other brands that I've tried. Both Pilot and Sailor inks are excellent. You are not going to have a bad performing ink with either the Sailor or Pilot inks. When you factor in cost, then the Sailor comes out ahead in my opinion. A bottle of Iroshizuku will cost you from 28-35 U.S. dollars. You can buy the Sailor Kobe ink for 20.00 U.S. dollars shipping included. The Sailor just seems better in my fine nib pens. It also works great in my broader nibs.

I can not answer your question on which Kobe ink is best. I like the emerald color a lot but it is the only one I own. Hopefully, someone else will chime in and give you one of their favorite colors. I will definitely add more of them.

JustinJ
May 21st, 2013, 06:12 PM

What colors did you buy?

woosang
May 22nd, 2013, 03:56 AM

What colors did you buy?

Wadamisaki blue
Shinkaichi gold
Suma kaihin blue
Tarumi apricot
Taisanji yellow
Arima amber

Laura N
May 22nd, 2013, 07:08 PM
I'd love to see swabs or writing samples of any of these inks. :)

tenney
May 22nd, 2013, 08:00 PM
As I recall, aside from being available on ebay these inks are also available from one store in Kobe... but which store is it?

JustinJ
May 22nd, 2013, 08:25 PM

What colors did you buy?

Wadamisaki blue
Shinkaichi gold
Suma kaihin blue
Tarumi apricot
Taisanji yellow
Arima amber

I would like to hear how you like the inks.

Tony Rex
May 23rd, 2013, 05:22 AM
I'd like to know how #5 black Dong behaves... Without getting fired for googling it, or mentally scarred for life feeling small and insecure, but how?

Nonsensical
May 23rd, 2013, 05:44 AM
I'd like to know how #5 black Dong behaves... Without getting fired for googling it, or mentally scarred for life feeling small and insecure, but how?

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/152215-18-x-sailor-nagasawa-kobe-inks/page-2

Scroll down to SameCapote's post #41 and #42.

Tony Rex
May 23rd, 2013, 05:56 AM
Cheers mate. I was just kidding :) Actually, I might buy it just for the name.

velo
August 17th, 2013, 05:58 AM
I just bought the Arima Amber and hopefully postage will be quick.

AltecGreen
August 17th, 2013, 07:37 AM
As I recall, aside from being available on ebay these inks are also available from one store in Kobe... but which store is it?

Nagasawa

Laura N
August 17th, 2013, 08:26 AM
Three of these inks arrived at my house this week: No. 1 Rokko Green, No. 3 Sepia and No. 15 Maiko Green.

I really, really like them. I'm still testing them and will try to post reviews if anyone's interested. Very quickly, the colors I got are all subtle with good shading. I'm not sure how well-lubricated the Sepia is: it feels very smooth in a medium Lamy Al-Star, but not in a Sailor fine. But the color is very appealing.

velo
August 17th, 2013, 05:53 PM
Laura N even short reviews would be great as there isn't a lot of info about.

I'm thinking of trying the Mikage Gray as well.

blopplop
August 17th, 2013, 06:07 PM
I've ordered from them several times and I've always been pleasantly surprised at how fast the package has arrived. If I'm remembering correctly, I think less than two weeks from the time I ordered.

Dave

jde
August 18th, 2013, 06:45 AM
I got two of 'em: Nada Brown, and Sannomiya Panse. Like them both, but then I haven't met a Sailor ink I don't like.

Kobe #16 Nada Brown:
http://peaceablewriter.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/dani-compare-00411.jpg

Kobe #18 Sannomiya Panse:
http://peaceablewriter.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/panse019-3.jpg

ypsilanti
August 18th, 2013, 11:24 AM
Here's a look at the five Kobe inks I have: #21 Taisanji Yellow, #8 Arima Amber, #39 Brick Brown Red, #22 Shinkaichi Gold, and #25 Tarumi Apricot.

These inks look so much better on paper than in my photos. I've been arguing with my camera for some time now and this is the best I've managed. These inks shade well, have a lovely sheen. I'm sorry I can't give you a better look right now. Anyhow, the list of five is on Tomoe River off-white paper and the individual inks are on Rhodia.

Steph
August 18th, 2013, 12:02 PM
Nice! I just ordered three colors from them: ikuta orange,maya lapis, and kaihin blue. Looking forward to trying them.

tenney
August 18th, 2013, 08:36 PM
Just curious... what are the prices of these Kobe inks at the Nagasawa store?

blopplop
August 18th, 2013, 09:28 PM
20.00 shipped.

blopplop
August 18th, 2013, 09:29 PM
ikuta orange-- eye popping color!!

tenney
August 18th, 2013, 10:25 PM
Yes, it's $20 shipped on ebay, but if you walked into Nagasawa in Kobe, how much do they charge for the ink. No complaints with the ebay pricing, I'm truly just curious in case I find myself in Kobe.

AltecGreen
August 18th, 2013, 10:48 PM
Yes, it's $20 shipped on ebay, but if you walked into Nagasawa in Kobe, how much do they charge for the ink. No complaints with the ebay pricing, I'm truly just curious in case I find myself in Kobe.

¥1575

jde
August 19th, 2013, 06:54 AM

¥1575

That's not a bad price differential, IMHO. (based on today's conversion, anyway)

tenney
August 20th, 2013, 12:09 AM
Thanks. That is a very fair shipping fee. Now all I have to do is get myself over to Kobe...

velo
August 22nd, 2013, 04:31 AM
20.00 shipped.

I presume if you're in the US. I paid 20.00 + international shipping.

jde
August 22nd, 2013, 08:07 AM
20.00 shipped.

Good reminder about how country-centric our responses can be. :)
Including myself in that, esp.!

velo
August 23rd, 2013, 01:50 AM
20.00 shipped.

Good reminder about how country-centric our responses can be. :)
Including myself in that, esp.!

As long as I have internet access it's all good.:)

andrew1829
August 23rd, 2013, 05:05 AM
These remind me of those sensual makeup ads for lipgloss and blush-- it's funny how you can smear anything on a white background and take some macro shots and they all look equally appealing, haha.

I can't imagine writing with these, but they look beautiful for art and doodles. Or a cheek stain, of course.

velo
August 23rd, 2013, 08:55 PM
I wrote with a standard black ink for ten years. How boring. I'm so glad I discovered these colours.

Laura N
August 26th, 2013, 09:36 AM
Here is a look at the inks I've used. Apologies for the image quality.

In order, the inks are No. 3 Sepia, No. 19 Minatogawa Lime, No. 15 Maiko Green, No. 1 Rokko Green, No. 38 Kitanozaka Night Blue, and No. 32 Tamon Purple Grey.