PDA

View Full Version : Stub/italic conversion

Gulfcoast
May 19th, 2013, 11:49 AM
I like the line variation and line width (on the downstrokes) of the 1.1 italic nib on my Vac 700. If buying a pen for which there is no italic nib offered, what width nib should I buy to be able to have a nibmeister convert it to something which writes like a 1.1 italic?

Sorry if this a is a dumb question!

Thanks in advance,
Mark

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

View from the Loft
May 19th, 2013, 11:56 AM
It's not a dumb question. If you want to know the answer to this, then so will others.

The best advice is to discuss the specifics (in advance of purchasing the pen and nib) with the person that will be working on the nib for you. You need to tell them exactly what you want from the nib, send them a writing sample and photographs or video showing how you hold your pen and write. For a nib that lays down a 1.1mm line, you are probably looking at a BB or B nib as the base nib - but that in itself will depend on the original nib.

The one law that applies to this is that tipping material can be taken off the nib easily, but it's not so straightforward to add it back. So, start off with a wider nib than the line you desire.

And welcome to the world of custom ground nibs. I predict another hit on your wallet ...

manoeuver
May 19th, 2013, 05:08 PM
Right. Bolder the better.

Gulfcoast
May 19th, 2013, 06:54 PM
Time to dash an email of to Mike-it-Work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

tintak
May 24th, 2013, 04:02 PM
All of my pens have some form of stub or italic nib. I am unable to write with a standard ball-tipped nib.
My hands are also quite small.
The Sailor 1911-M (in PMMA resin or machined acrylic) has become my standard pen model.

Except for one pen with a Zoom nib, all my other Sailors (7) started out with a 14K two-tine Music nib. There is a large hunk of tipping material on the MS nibs (approx. 1.15 mm. but often even wider).
This means that these nibs are excellent candidates for customization to a stub or an italic nib.
To date, John Mottishaw & Mike Masuyama (no affiliation) have ground various edged nibs for me, ranging from a 1.1 mm. to 0.6 mm.
I have the highest regard for their work & communication.

You can also start with a pen that would have a 1.1 mm to 1.5 mm. stainless steel nib (I only know JoWo, but I believe Bock or Schmidt also produce wide grade ss. nibs).
These nib units could also make a good platform for a re-grind.
Some nib technicians will customize either gold or steel, while others only work on gold nibs.

Good luck in your search to find the perfect Italic for you.
Cheers:
tintak