PDA

View Full Version : M80x/M60x: Why choose over the other?

franzdimson
May 19th, 2013, 03:33 PM
Hello!

I'm sorta new to the Pelikan flock and I have this dilemma (only for a geek). I'm deciding between getting an M605 vs an M805. I just haven't had the chance to hold any M60x pen models.

I bought an M800 Tortoise-Shell on a whim even without holding one and I don't regret getting it. I love it's weight and looks.

I guess to help me decide, I'd like to ask you all here. As subject goes, which of the two models would you get and why would you choose it over the other?

Thank you in advance for all your help! =)

The Good Captain
May 20th, 2013, 02:08 AM
I've both sizes and some of the 400/200 size as well. Although I have small hands I've no difficulty writing for long periods with any of them. However, when I might choose one size over another is usually due to which shirt I'm wearing and the pocket depth decides which pen I can carry clipped to that particular pocket. Sadly, I've only a couple of garments that have pockets deep enough for the 800!
So to answer your question, I've no reason to choose the 8 v the 6 for writing purposes. And they both hold the same amount of ink.

franzdimson
May 20th, 2013, 10:50 AM
However, when I might choose one size over another is usually due to which shirt I'm wearing and the pocket depth decides which pen I can carry clipped to that particular pocket.

Wow! I never even thought of that. I do plan to use the pen at work or outside my home. The M800 Tortoise has never left my home so I never had a reason to place it in my shirt pocket.

Thank you for that perspective.. =)

jar
May 20th, 2013, 12:19 PM
Also, you are making a n00b mistake, but we were almost all n00b at one time (I wasn't since they had not invented new yet when I was young), and so you are asking the totally wrong question. The right question would have been "which of the two models would you get first and why would you choose it before the other?"

I'd answer that question except it is far too late; I have both 600s and 800s and forget which I bought first. I do think I got the 400 size 600 before I got the 600 size 600 though.

Laura N
May 20th, 2013, 01:08 PM
Well, my answer won't help you. I would get the M600: that's my favorite size Pelikan, whereas the weight and balance of the M800 don't work for me. Since you've already said you love the size and weight of the M800, our preferences are totally different. :) It sounds like it would be best if you try an M600 before buying one, though. Can you buy from a shop in the Bay Area?

Murfie
May 20th, 2013, 05:28 PM
I've owned an M800 and I still own an M600. The two pens have several differences but the two standout ones are the size and the balance. The M800 feels much larger in the hand than the differences in dimensions suggest. Also the brass components of the M800 piston cause a completely different feel in the balance of the pen. I am like Laura N above in that I prefer the M600, but in your situation where you have found the M800 very comfortable, then it is likely you will be disappointed by the M600. For every user who favours the M600, you will find another who prefers the M800. So it all comes down to personal preference and no one can help you with that.

reprieve
May 20th, 2013, 05:39 PM
I have been using my M6xx's more often than my M8xx's lately, but I still love them both. The M8xx can feel start to feel back-heavy during long writing sessions; the M6xx is better balanced and draws less attention from co-workers (since it's smaller and more portable).

franzdimson
May 21st, 2013, 02:10 AM
[QUOTE=jar;30208]The right question would have been "which of the two models would you get first and why would you choose it before the other?"[QUOTE]

Haha! You are right. I've been thinking of just getting both M605 and M805 in blue striations. I guess which one first. =)

franzdimson
May 21st, 2013, 02:17 AM
Thank you everyone for your insights. The M800 for me does feel quite comfortable and the M805 may be the "first" pen I will purchase between the two. =)

Laura N, I haven't really seen a brick & mortar store around my area but I know there are a couple in downtown San Francisco and in Carmel. I'd have to make time to go.
I am waiting for the San Francisco Pen Show hopefully it pushes thru this year. =)

Thanks again fellow Geeks!

printhardcopy
May 26th, 2013, 04:35 AM
Most important how big is your hand.

If your hand is big, get m800

If your hand is smaller, get m600.

This is the most important factor.

Playtime
May 29th, 2013, 09:00 PM
A posted m600 is hard to beat.

I like mango pudding
May 29th, 2013, 09:28 PM
I never really gave the 600 a thought. To me it was the 800 or 1000. Go big or go home. Then again, on the opposite side, the mini me of the 800/1000 is the 200, which is the cute kid brother of the two. The middle siblings never get any respect in my books.

JustDaveyB
May 30th, 2013, 05:13 AM
I think each size has their place. Barring having large hands where you would need the bulk of the M800 or M1000. I think all the sizes are usable (even the little M300). For me it is more about weight than size. The M800 and M1000 having a brass piston have that weight that makes them feel more solid. I wish they would have used brass instead of plastic in the M600. I used to find the smaller Pelikans too light for me but I have since grown used to them. As other people have said the M2XX, 4XX and M6XX sizes fit in the shirt pocket far better the big Pelikans. My favourite is still the M600 but I have 19 of them!

snedwos
May 30th, 2013, 06:16 AM
I have been using my M6xx's more often than my M8xx's lately, but I still love them both. The M8xx can feel start to feel back-heavy during long writing sessions; the M6xx is better balanced and draws less attention from co-workers (since it's smaller and more portable).

Unless it's the white tortoise.

Tony Rex
May 30th, 2013, 06:33 AM
My favourite is still the M600 but I have 19 of them!

That's still one of the most jaw dropping collection I've ever seen. Good on you David.

I prefer M200/400 size myself. In M800 size I prefer lacquered brass Waterman or Pilot.

Tony

Playtime
May 30th, 2013, 07:10 AM

Unless it's the white tortoise.

I suspect you'd want the attention were you buy a white tortoise-and rightfully so!:)

franzdimson
June 2nd, 2013, 01:02 PM
Hello geeks!
Just giving an update. I just purchased the M805 Blue and black with a broad nib. It is coming from Germany so it'll take a while. But want to thank y'all for the insight and help.

I'll probably acquire the m605 down the line and once I get a feel for it in a store. =)

Next thing to think about is nib stub-ification. I love stubs and it'll be awesome for this pen. ;->