PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of the plan of action for this 51 set?

Elim
November 15th, 2018, 03:54 PM
Ok so i won a 51 signet set for really nothing, most likely because of the HUGE engraving on the barrel.

https://image.ibb.co/mBSgLL/s-l1600.jpg

Thoe barrels have to go, obviously. I am considering replacing them with demonstrator barrels from Kullock. I think this would make fora fairly attractive set. Your thoughts?

morningtundra
November 15th, 2018, 04:55 PM
Is that engraved or printed? If printed, there are various solvents you could try.

Is it just one barrel or both?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elim
November 15th, 2018, 08:22 PM
Looks deeply engraved and both pieces.

Elim
November 15th, 2018, 08:24 PM
https://image.ibb.co/gUjdH0/s-l1600-2.jpg

Chrissy
November 15th, 2018, 10:21 PM
What a shame. They would have been really nice pens but for that engraving.:( I bet you could get the black out and that would make it less noticeable, but it's still a pretty deep hole to fill.

Elim
November 15th, 2018, 10:41 PM
Nah, I'll just swap out the barrels for demonstrators.

Farmboy
November 15th, 2018, 11:12 PM
If the engraving is so offensive, why buy the pens?

Elim
November 15th, 2018, 11:29 PM
lol because i got a 51 set for less than $30. Engravings be damned, thats a steal.

Chrissy
November 16th, 2018, 01:54 AM
Barrels are cheap enough and they seem to be readily available on ebay. :)

Elim
November 16th, 2018, 02:19 AM
Indeed, that's the play. I'm going to wait until they arrive before i make any solid decisions though.

grainweevil
November 16th, 2018, 02:38 AM
Just the pen to use when you need prompting to get on with a job. viz:

"Sigh, don't wanna have to write to Great Uncle Augustus. Where's the right pen to goad me into action?"

In short, if it was me I'd retain the engraving and enjoy thinking about how many provoking jokes Mr, Mrs or Ms L Goad used to endure.

Unless, of course, it's a GOAD pen - Greatest Of All Days. :D

FredRydr
November 16th, 2018, 03:40 AM
I like it. "L. GOAD" Very cool!

Elim
November 16th, 2018, 04:01 AM
I entertained adding an E to the front of the engraving. El Goad..poke poke poke.

amk
November 16th, 2018, 04:38 AM
Let's approach this a different way. We've had a few threads on this forum about the kind of colleagues who grab your FP to jot something down, or pinch pens off your desk... one of the most annoying dangers of modern fountain pen fanlife.

Mr Goad evidently had run the gauntlet of fountain pen thievery. Perhaps his colleagues were early ballpoint users and broke one of his nibs by pressing too hard, or lost the cap of his much loved Duofold. This time, he said as he plonked down his money for a brand new 51 set, this time it will be different....

Anyway, I rather like those barrels, so if you're getting rid of them, I'll take them off you!

Deb
November 16th, 2018, 04:55 AM
I'm a fan of personalisations. I think they add someting to the pen. Not quite history unless you can identify the previous owner, but character anyway.

Chrissy
November 16th, 2018, 04:59 AM
I'm a fan of personalisations. I think they add someting to the pen. Not quite history unless you can identify the previous owner, but character anyway.
There is reasonable personalisation, and then there is PERSONALISATION like L.GOAD. Sadly, I could never own these pens with that on there. :(

FredRydr
November 16th, 2018, 08:00 AM
Oh, be sure to do a search on Mr. or Ms. L. Goad. You never know what will turn up. I had a Waterman No. 7 blue nib that was engraved with a name that turned out to be a famous magazine illustrator. Then there was the black and red hard rubber Waterman 55 engraved with a name that turned out to be a prominent executive of Florida department store that went by his name. Researching your pens' provenance can be fun.

penwash
November 16th, 2018, 10:03 AM
There is reasonable personalisation, and then there is PERSONALISATION like L.GOAD. Sadly, I could never own these pens with that on there. :(

Chrissy, good thing I just finished my coffee, otherwise I'd be cleaning up my laptop screen now. :D

pajaro
November 16th, 2018, 11:46 AM
I am in the camp of those who think this is a cool personalization. It is really kind of funny. Then, again, I have found that most people never see the humor I see in things. Especially . . .

Elim
November 16th, 2018, 01:00 PM
Oh, be sure to do a search on Mr. or Ms. L. Goad. You never know what will turn up. I had a Waterman No. 7 blue nib that was engraved with a name that turned out to be a famous magazine illustrator. Then there was the black and red hard rubber Waterman 55 engraved with a name that turned out to be a prominent executive of Florida department store that went by his name. Researching your pens' provenance can be fun.

I do that with every one I get and even will run a fast search omn interesting pieces i spot in ebay. There is 1 right now im trying to get. I'll drop a full post on them if i score the set. Pretty cool engraving and even bigger than the goad banner.

Elim
November 16th, 2018, 01:01 PM
I am in the camp of those who think this is a cool personalization. It is really kind of funny. Then, again, I have found that most people never see the humor I see in things. Especially . . .

I agree 100%, cool engraving.

Bad joke of the day.

what do dark humor and a kid with cancer have in common?
They never get old.

pajaro
November 16th, 2018, 03:18 PM
If I were going to get rid of the monogrammed barrels, I would choose black instead of demonstrator, unless you will also replace the pen's hood with a like demonstrator hood. You want to keep the pen consistent if you are thinking of ever selling it. The existing hood on these things is black, so black barrels would be the easiest to find that would be consistent. Gold plated barrels are a very long shot. I am not sure if you would find a pencil demonstrator barrel. Ariel Kullock probably offered them, but I believe he has retired, but you could look. Black is likely the easiest to find in barrels for the set.

Elim
November 16th, 2018, 03:57 PM
Agreed on the black, but he has a demo barrel for both and a clear shell as well, so the whole kit is there if I decide to go that route. Still haven't decided 100% one way or the other yet.

pajaro
November 16th, 2018, 05:36 PM
Agreed on the black, but he has a demo barrel for both and a clear shell as well, so the whole kit is there if I decide to go that route. Still haven't decided 100% one way or the other yet.

These clear barrels and shell, are they original Parker parts, or are they made by an aftermarket party? Whichever they are, it would be good to keep this information with the set. I remember some threads on FPN where some collectors got really upset about 51s with the new demonstrator parts being possibly offered as original Parker demonstrators. Mainly I think they were upset with the makers like Ariel Kullock who made the clear demonstrator parts. I don't know if anyone can tell the difference betreen original Parker parts and aftermarket parts.

Farmboy
November 16th, 2018, 09:37 PM

These clear barrels and shell, are they original Parker parts, or are they made by an aftermarket party? Whichever they are, it would be good to keep this information with the set. I remember some threads on FPN where some collectors got really upset about 51s with the new demonstrator parts being possibly offered as original Parker demonstrators. Mainly I think they were upset with the makers like Ariel Kullock who made the clear demonstrator parts. I don't know if anyone can tell the difference betreen original Parker parts and aftermarket parts.

For the most part it is easy to tell if the demonstrator parts are original or reproduction.

Elim
November 16th, 2018, 11:40 PM
Yes these are Kullock pieces im looking at and Farmboy is right. It's fairly easy to tell the original from the repop's. Machining marks and an overall different feel and quality.

I am also considering building a suite for this set. A couple of different barrel color combos for the pair, possibly an extra set of Lustraloy caps or whatever style I can track down. It could be a 'dress your set' for your wardrobe/event or whatever strikes your fancy that day.

pajaro
November 18th, 2018, 09:41 PM
I thought of changing shells, barrels and caps out on 51s. I felt it was kind of a lot of trouble changing shells. So, I bought 51s with personalizations and such and converted them. Sometimes I move caps like Kullock's Kama Sutra cap among a few 51s.

amk
November 19th, 2018, 03:31 AM
I love this idea of the modular fountain pen! I have two Auroras which share a nib :-)

Chrissy
November 19th, 2018, 04:58 AM
I love this idea of the modular fountain pen! I have two Auroras which share a nib :-)
That's a good idea, but the one without a pen would dry out quicker. :)

proteus
November 19th, 2018, 12:58 PM
Elim,

I think your pen set is perfect as it is.

I would not change a thing, have the FP serviced and enjoy it for what it is.

nb : I have a couple of questions please – aimed at the vastly more knowledgeable members here. ( Farmboy…. et al )

Does anyone here a similar P51 Signet set from Arrow Park.

Is the gold inner ring of the clutch ring normal ?

Are these sets in mint condition, boxed considered rare ?

Does anyone here own a full RS FP & Pencil ? ( Not just a custom )

Have never seen a FP or pencil, I know that they were made, possibly only at Arrow Park.

Any photography would be nice – I would greatly appreciate it.

Many Thanks.

Elim
November 19th, 2018, 07:34 PM
nb : I have a couple of questions please – aimed at the vastly more knowledgeable members here. ( Farmboy…. et al )

Does anyone here a similar P51 Signet set from Arrow Park.

Is the gold inner ring of the clutch ring normal ?

~Yes, the models with a gold filled cap have a gold wash in the depression on the clutch ring

Are these sets in mint condition, boxed considered rare ?

~Rare is such an overused word in the hobby. They aren't RARE, truly uninked NIS is uncommon/less frequently encountered and again if truly uninked can command a premium on the price.

Does anyone here own a full RS FP & Pencil ? ( Not just a custom )

~RS?

Have never seen a FP or pencil, I know that they were made, possibly only at Arrow Park.

~You lost me on this one, you just posted a pic of both.

Any photography would be nice – I would greatly appreciate it.

Many Thanks.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

proteus
November 20th, 2018, 12:13 PM
Elim,

RS means Rolled Silver

I was asking if anyone had seen an upper shell ( barrel ) in Rolled Silver

The clutch ring on your pen was used at Arrow Park P51'S 1948/49 Signet FP ( Also in 1941/42 Vacs )

Elim
December 1st, 2018, 10:46 PM
Elim,

RS means Rolled Silver

I was asking if anyone had seen an upper shell ( barrel ) in Rolled Silver

The clutch ring on your pen was used at Arrow Park P51'S 1948/49 Signet FP ( Also in 1941/42 Vacs )

Ive never seen one factory, I THINK I remember seeing something in that vein by Kullock a decade or so back, but nothing really stands out in memory.

I finally got the set in. Standard 51 signet set. fine nib, 4q 48 production. Save the engraving it's in perfect shape. The down side for me is im having a hard time using it. My hands are stiff with the early stages of arthritis and im having a tough time holding on to it properly. Feels too thin. The Bexley Intrepid has been seeing the bulk of my fp use.

I am just going to drop it back in ebay and see what happens, unless someone here wants to claim it as theirs for 125

proteus
December 3rd, 2018, 11:14 AM
Elim, sorry to hear of your arthritis.

I was interested in what you paid.
You mentioned ' I won a 51 signet set for really nothing, most likely because of the HUGE engraving on the barrel '
Can you tell me what 'really nothing' is.

( I am not in the buying market )

Thanks

Elim
December 3rd, 2018, 12:44 PM
message sent

pajaro
December 3rd, 2018, 01:00 PM
Actually I think the personalization is done well and elegantly. It is one of the better ones I have seen. I used to keep a couple of personalized Parker 51s as examples of how people used to do this back in the day. It would not be a bad thing for a 51 collector to have a nice example of a personalized set in a collection, and you might make a bit by offering it where you think you can get the best return.

proteus
December 3rd, 2018, 01:58 PM
Wise words from pajaro.

I 100% agree.

Elim
December 3rd, 2018, 02:18 PM
Its in ebay now. Has a bid, im making a few bucks.

Thanks guys.

penmainiac
January 12th, 2019, 12:12 PM
Where can i buy a parker 51?

Farmboy
January 13th, 2019, 07:16 AM
Where can i buy a parker 51?

Online or in person?

Knowing where you are located would help with the latter.

penmainiac
January 13th, 2019, 10:36 AM
In person or online either would be ok. I live in anahiem california.

Farmboy
January 13th, 2019, 10:16 PM
Los Angeles Pen Show is in a few weeks. I’d start there.

proteus
January 16th, 2019, 01:03 PM
penmainiac,

They come in alot of different colours, shapes and caps