PDA

View Full Version : Coffee People. Talk to me.

Pages : [1] 2

manoeuver
May 20th, 2013, 07:45 AM
My name is Tim and I'm a Coffee Geek.

Other terms I've had applied: Coffee Jerk. Coffee Ninja. Coffee Sensei.

Background: Been drinking the stuff forever. Had my first coffee job in college, that was 13 years ago. Since then I've been baristo, manager, trainer, and owner of retail gourmet coffee shops. Last year I started a (one-man) consulting company. My clients were all coffee businesses. One client (my favorite coffee roaster) brought me on full-time last year as an Evil Scientist- I've been doing program development there, it's been a blast. I also discovered I love love love the coffee roasting side of the industry.

anyway, here's my home brew rig:
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m262/timhofmann/IMG_20130520_093358_zps9ca8be42.jpg

my auto-drip machine is 10 years old and going strong. Brews at 195 degrees. I drink about 24oz out of this thing daily between 5 and 8AM.

I'll use the Aeropress after the drip's gone. The Bonavita kettle is fun to use- super convenient, with built-in thermostat.

Main grinder is Capresso Infinity, I've used it for almost 8 years now. Still very happy.

I'll take the Hario hand grinder and Aeropress with me when I travel.

Two things I don't have to fuss with: home roasting and home espresso. I respect those who go through the hassle, I'm very fortunate to have commercial capabilities at my fingertips where I work.

ok, who's next?

drgoretex
May 20th, 2013, 08:08 AM
My name is Ken, and I'm a coffee addict....

Nice set up there!

My home apparatus is pretty similar, with a burr grinder a drip brewer. We get our coffee beans freshly roasted at a small coffee shop near us. At work, it's Tim Hortons coffee all day long (they opened up an outlet in the lobby of my workplace). In fact, I've been sipping on that as I peruse FPG this am :-)

Cheers,

Ken

ardgedee
May 20th, 2013, 08:25 AM
When I have coffee at home...
I quit the electric burr grinder a year and change ago, and use a Hario Skerton I modded with a homebrewed stabilizing bearing. For brewing I usually hand-pour because that's the easiest to clean up, but I also have a Frieling double-wall steel press pot and a Bodum Santos vacuum pot. Water comes from a Zojirushi electric water boiler, which my partner uses for her tea.

There are a couple local roasters doing good work, so I'm not deprived of variety, but when I talk about coffee I begin to miss Mighty Good and Roos, both of whom operate in Ann Arbor, MI, and are still my favorites.

PointyThings
May 20th, 2013, 08:28 AM
My "new" grinder, a $25 Craigslist find after a "bonus" piece of gravel in a supermarket bag of beans destroyed my Bodum burr grinder.

This 100+ year old grinder does a beautiful job on drip grind and provides a nice morning workout.

manoeuver
May 20th, 2013, 08:45 AM
When I have coffee at home...
I quit the electric burr grinder a year and change ago, and use a Hario Skerton I modded with a homebrewed stabilizing bearing. For brewing I usually hand-pour because that's the easiest to clean up, but I also have a Frieling double-wall steel press pot and a Bodum Santos vacuum pot. Water comes from a Zojirushi electric water boiler, which my partner uses for her tea.

There are a couple local roasters doing good work, so I'm not deprived of variety, but when I talk about coffee I begin to miss Mighty Good and Roos, both of whom operate in Ann Arbor, MI, and are still my favorites.
I'd love to see your grinder mod. Got any pics?
I also love the cleanup ease of pourover coffee. That's how I do demos for the roastery. I don't have a vacuum pot cause I know I would never use it knowing what cleanup is like.

KrazyIvan
May 20th, 2013, 08:50 AM
I am Krazy about coffee. While I try to get locally roasted coffee, that always does not work out since they are a good drive away. A friend supplies me with some Guatemalan beans every now and then that he gets shipped from his mom in Guatemala. She roasts the coffee herself. When I can't get that I usually have some whole bean on hand from Rio Grande Roasters or the medium roast Costco stuff that is roasted by Star Bucks.

I don't have pictures of my gear but I have a burr grinder, regular blade grinder (yeah, yeah I know), drip coffee maker and French Press. I bring bean to work but since I get in later than some of the coffee drinkers, they don't want to wait for me to grind the coffee. They say it is too much work and won't touch the bean. Whatever. :p

My Starbucks coffee mug.

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4041/4530922121_5124577ae9_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ivan_romero/4530922121/)
Mmmmmm Coffee (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ivan_romero/4530922121/) by IvanRomero (http://www.flickr.com/people/ivan_romero/), on Flickr

ardgedee
May 20th, 2013, 09:00 AM
I'd love to see your grinder mod. Got any pics?

Not really. I'm going to redo it, hopefully better and hopefully soon, so I'll try to take some photos of that.

Cleaning out a vacuum pot is neither easier nor harder than a press pot, it's just messier. The trick is having a pipe brush the right size to fit in the flue; Asian groceries usually stock a set for a buck or two.

manoeuver
May 20th, 2013, 09:37 AM
I don't use a press pot, either. the silt makes me dry heave.

jar
May 20th, 2013, 10:25 AM
I've pretty much moved backwards. I've abandoned roasting and grinding, put most of my coffee machines away and settle pretty much on the single serve format products. I've abandoned Keurig and Nestle (the machines are still going strong just at new homes) and settled on the pod format as my main machine (Bunn MCP) and rotate through CBTL, Illy, Tassimo and Lavazza machines in addition as the fancy strikes.

ardgedee
May 20th, 2013, 10:35 AM
I like my press pot, but then again I'm fond of chewy coffee... :) The main goal of re-modding my grinder is to get a more consistent grind than I currently have, and hopefully get even less dust than it currently produces.

If you like the idea of press pots but dislike them in practice, might be worth trying one with a pluger that has a rotating shield over the screen. It does a better job of separating the grounds from the drink.

Sailor Kenshin
May 20th, 2013, 10:45 AM
*raises hand*

I have a K-rig that I just got and am having fun with, three or four percolators (which SAVED us during a two week power outage, lol), a vacuum maker, buncha Chemexes, couple press pots, buncha stovetop 'espresso makers,' a Mr. Coffee that's a regular weekend user, a larger Gevalia for when company comes and which makes excellent coffee, and once I had a Turkish stovetop maker but I lost it.

I HAD a good hand grinder and a great electric. But those went the way of the Turkish pot.

Yeah, I'm iggorant, but What's an Aeropress?

Always sorta kinda wanted to roast my own, but... Little scurd.

I like mango pudding
May 20th, 2013, 10:50 AM
There's coffeegeek dot com for you to spend lots of time when you are not here (yes, another geek site). Also homebarista dot com if that isn't enough for you. I'm on both. I have a Rocket Giotto HX E61 machine that is only a year old or so, plus a Macap MC4 doserless grinder. Used to have a Rancilio Sylvia that was PID'd but even still, it was too tempermental. Never had a problem with the Rocket, and I'm still getting used to it. I use mainly local roasters. I've had some good shots with Intelligentsia's Black Cat. I can do many different types of latte art too. Yes, coffee is my other "hobby". I have one other "hobby" but I won't mention that right now.:)

not exactly mine, but you get the idea of what it looks like.

drgoretex
May 20th, 2013, 11:42 AM
There's coffeegeek dot com for you to spend lots of time when you are not here (yes, another geek site). Also homebarista dot com if that isn't enough for you. I'm on both. I have a Rocket Giotto HX E61 machine that is only a year old or so, plus a Macap MC4 doserless grinder. Used to have a Rancilio Sylvia that was PID'd but even still, it was too tempermental. Never had a problem with the Rocket, and I'm still getting used to it. I use mainly local roasters. I've had some good shots with Intelligentsia's Black Cat. I can do many different types of latte art too. Yes, coffee is my other "hobby". I have one other "hobby" but I won't mention that right now.:)

not exactly mine, but you get the idea of what it looks like.

WOW! Nice! I guess that is the coffee equivalent of someone posting a pic of a high end 'grail' pen :)

Ken

kirchh
May 20th, 2013, 11:58 AM
For a single cup, I am very fond of the Clever Coffee Dripper (http://www.sweetmarias.com/clevercoffeedripperpictorial.php) (got mine from Sweet Maria's). It's basically a pourover but with a valve, so it adds a dimension of control, as you can control the steeping time; after it steeps (I go four minutes total with a stir after one minute to break the "crust"), you simply place it on top of your cup and it automatically opens the valve and dispenses the coffee. Fun! So, by fiddling with grind, grounds quantity, water temp, and steeping time, you can tune the flavor to your liking. As it uses a paper filter, the coffee is not silty, but it is as robust as you want to make it. And for $15, it's hard to go wrong.

http://www.sweetmarias.com/clever_coffee_dripper/CCD_withcoffeefront.jpg

--Daniel

manoeuver
May 20th, 2013, 12:19 PM
I love the idea of the valve on a pourover brewer. on the other hand I like the challenge of dialing in brew time by adjusting the grind of the coffee.

Toffer
May 20th, 2013, 12:22 PM
Wow I didn't know coffee was so complicated! I had to look up burr grinders but I have one of those, like this:http://www.espressotec.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/R/F/RF5138_ManualGrinder_M.jpg
But I got fed up of grinding for ages so bought one with blades, which I then have to put in the old grinder because it doesn't grind well enough! Then I have a stove top Bialetti like this:http://www.conranshop.co.uk/conrancatalog/product/large/global/images/main/357210.png

I would love a proper machine though!!

david i
May 20th, 2013, 12:23 PM
I fear I cannot well engage the cult of coffee, despite appreciating its taste. Rebound from more than 1/3 cup leads to vicious headaches, a problem indeed for one who works night shifts in hospital. I recently was gifted a bag of beans from a pen client heavily involved in coffee production. At some point I will have to risk converting it to coffee and indulging in a few sips. The tragedy is that we have such a nice coffee shop in the ground floor of my NYC apartment building.

regards

d

Biber
May 20th, 2013, 12:33 PM
Hi folks - I love my coffee so I'll chime in here.

Primarily use a french press, though I'll also use a Mokka pot two or three times a week. Recently made a connection at work with a lady whose family has a coffee plantation in Panama so I've been recently enjoying their "Latin" roast. Fresh coffee is the only way to go!

Toffer
May 20th, 2013, 12:47 PM
Wow I didn't know coffee was so complicated! I had to look up burr grinders but I have one of those, like this:http://www.espressotec.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/R/F/RF5138_ManualGrinder_M.jpg
But I got fed up of grinding for ages so bought one with blades, which I then have to put in the old grinder because it doesn't grind well enough! Then I have a stove top Bialetti like this:http://www.conranshop.co.uk/conrancatalog/product/large/global/images/main/357210.png

I would love a proper machine though!!

I like mango pudding
May 20th, 2013, 01:25 PM
espressotec is 5min away from my place. they are one of the biggest specialty coffee machine retailers here and of about 3 or so in Canada online. They compete with the American on-line retailers and prices are within 1% or less of each other. The markup is extremely low so no wheeling and dealing online. I got my machine as a customer return item, and I got a few other things with it, so espressotec offers a good deal in that regard.

KCat
May 20th, 2013, 02:11 PM
Great thread, Tim. Thanks. Speaking to a baristo the other day and he said that he had a really simple set-up at home as well. If he wanted espresso or anything like that, he drove two miles to work to use the beautiful machine in the shop. Rough life. :P

Coffee freaks! Yay! For Christmas, Hubby bought me a Via Venezia espresso machine. I enhanced with a non-pressurized filter (whew! what a relief) and I really can't imagine making coffee any other way now. Maybe I'll get sick of it someday. Still have my Mr. Coffee (gold filter) for when people visit. And a Melitta for the occasional pour over but I found I miss the taste that the paper filter removes. Would love to try a Turkish coffee pot (and a samovar for tea). The more intense the taste, the better.

ILMP, I love your HX. I'm afraid unless we win the lottery or I write a bestseller, (both highly unlikely) I won't ever have a machine like that. I considered eventually moving up the Silvia but heard it is picky. Could you tell me in what way? I've already got trouble getting my tamp even and I've been doing that for a month now. (bangs head on desk) It's a fun addiction (the process as much as the coffee) so I don't mind but I don't need to add a "temperamental" machine to the mix.

I use Redbird espresso and a local roaster now and then as well. The local is very good but not well known as yet. I hope they survive because they're very small and well outside the downtown area. I'm trying to tell my local friends to get by there when ever they can (Pearland Coffee Roasters). Had a fantastic latte there the other day.

reprieve
May 20th, 2013, 05:28 PM
I have a French Press pot and a Bialetti Moka stovetop pot that see occasional use. My five year-old Cuisinart drip machine still gets used every day.

But my true love is a Gaggia Classic espresso machine. I've had it for just over two years now, and I can't imagine living without it. I have learned to pull a decent shot with nice crema, and am now experimenting with a naked portafilter. I use a Gaggia MDF burr grinder, but I'm thinking of switching to a doserless grinder as the Gaggia MDF's doser drives me batty (but the actual grinder itself has been consistently excellent).

I try to buy fresh-roasted beans from a local coffee shop, but when I can't get them, I use Filicori Zecchini or Lavazza beans. I have read a lot of good things about Klatch's roasts (http://www.klatchroasting.com/Klatch_Coffee_Specialty_Espresso_s/31.htm) and am about to order a bag of their Belle Espresso.

http://www.wholelattelove.com/ItemImages-1341529457/1802/compressed/3437330.png
photo from Whole Latte Love (http://www.wholelattelove.com)

I like mango pudding
May 20th, 2013, 06:05 PM
ILMP, I love your HX. I'm afraid unless we win the lottery or I write a bestseller, (both highly unlikely) I won't ever have a machine like that. I considered eventually moving up the Silvia but heard it is picky. Could you tell me in what way? I've already got trouble getting my tamp even and I've been doing that for a month now. (bangs head on desk) It's a fun addiction (the process as much as the coffee) so I don't mind but I don't need to add a "temperamental" machine to the mix.

The Sylvia is very tempermental without a PID. I was temperature surfing all the time with mine till I got the PID on it. It worked for the most part, most of the time, but there were times it was a miss fire and I had some throw outs. It started to leak at the group head one time so I had to fix that. Then a hose gasket started to give out and had that replaced. The PID started to give temps way off the mark sometimes. You need either a click tamper like the Espro, or be pretty damn good at being consistent with 30 lbs of force. I just gave up and sold it with problems and all. So far no problems with the Giotto.

TMac
May 20th, 2013, 06:16 PM
Tim, is the coffee business you are working with a local company? Let me know if they have retail sales,I'd love to try them out.
Terry

ardgedee
May 20th, 2013, 06:46 PM
I love the idea of the valve on a pourover brewer. on the other hand I like the challenge of dialing in brew time by adjusting the grind of the coffee.

This. I've also figured out how to regulate flow by positioning the paper in the cone I use, so it's not too difficult to get a good brew without much hardware.

One of our local cafes (Cocoa & Cinnamon) uses the Clever for their herbal drinks, which is a good idea. If we didn't already have a couple single-serving press pots in the house for tea, I'd probably get a Clever for the job.

Sketchy
May 20th, 2013, 07:06 PM
I use a ninety year old hand crank box grinder, a ceramic pour over brewer, two mugs, and Trader Joe's "Plain Old Joe" coffee. I brew two cups, leaving the brewer on the second mug until I've finished drinking the first. That second mug of coffee remains nice and hot.

Tony Rex
May 20th, 2013, 07:19 PM
In Soviet Russia (well, Indonesia really) Starbucks come to you!

I'm not attacking anyone or coffee culture.. But since Tim mentioned a Mandailing Coffee, that reminds me of the plight of poor coffee farmers who, ironically, could barely afford instant coffee packets like the above.. While their products fuel multi billion industry elsewhere. Especially Aceh farmers, who couldn't use their own Gayo name because it's trademarked by a foreign company. They sold their stuff marked as Mandailing etc.. And farmers from the Eastern parts: Toraja (near my ancestral home), Timor Leste, NTT Flores growers are even poorer than the Sumatran! Although, IMO they got better beans. Overall, I'd rate the unfairness of the industry exceeded of the sweatshops because of the uncertainty of crops and commodity prices. I must say though, in some mysterious way, a 'kopi tubruk' with cheap rock sugar and a clove ciggy (I quit smoking a long time ago, but still very vivid) were better than any fancy coffee of the West. I don't know, perhaps it's just sentiments out of solidarity. It's just better.

Tony

KCat
May 21st, 2013, 10:26 AM
The Sylvia is very tempermental without a PID. I was temperature surfing all the time with mine till I got the PID on it. It worked for the most part, most of the time, but there were times it was a miss fire and I had some throw outs. It started to leak at the group head one time so I had to fix that. Then a hose gasket started to give out and had that replaced. The PID started to give temps way off the mark sometimes. You need either a click tamper like the Espro, or be pretty damn good at being consistent with 30 lbs of force. I just gave up and sold it with problems and all. So far no problems with the Giotto.

Ah, okay. Given I have a Via Venezia, I don't think I'd be too concerned with PID or no PID. :P I'm just happy when I can get my shots to come out even. I do have an Espro because my ability to judge my tamp is horrid. I have a very light hand with writing (have trouble getting flex out of flex nibs) so knowing what the heck 30lbs is... But balancing it is my problem. Inevitably when I try to make up for my tendency to not put enough pressure on the right side of the PF, I over tamp and get a too-long shot.

I like mango pudding
May 21st, 2013, 12:29 PM

Ah, okay. Given I have a Via Venezia, I don't think I'd be too concerned with PID or no PID. :P I'm just happy when I can get my shots to come out even. I do have an Espro because my ability to judge my tamp is horrid. I have a very light hand with writing (have trouble getting flex out of flex nibs) so knowing what the heck 30lbs is... But balancing it is my problem. Inevitably when I try to make up for my tendency to not put enough pressure on the right side of the PF, I over tamp and get a too-long shot.

The Via Venezia has a pressurized portafilter so you don't have to be so critical with tamping or grind. But if you want to be sure about the force, use a bathroom scale to measure 30 pounds to judge how hard to tamp. You can remove the pressurized portion of the portafilter to make it a regular one. But without a pressurized PF, you need to be more critical with pressure, grind and dosage as well. You should be able to extract the brew till just before the machine starts to choke and extract up to 2 ounces in about 24 to 30 seconds.

KCat
May 21st, 2013, 02:30 PM

The Via Venezia has a pressurized portafilter so you don't have to be so critical with tamping or grind. But if you want to be sure about the force, use a bathroom scale to measure 30 pounds to judge how hard to tamp. You can remove the pressurized portion of the portafilter to make it a regular one. But without a pressurized PF, you need to be more critical with pressure, grind and dosage as well. You should be able to extract the brew till just before the machine starts to choke and extract up to 2 ounces in about 24 to 30 seconds.

Right. I don't use the pressurized filter. I did for a good while but after about three months I started tasting and smelling what I can best describe as something rancid. Now, having gone through a few short shots, I can relate this to the "sour" taste of which others speak. (shudder). I get pretty consistently 30-34 seconds most days but they are not level. That is, my right shot is always faster than my left. The machine has been leveled. My tamp has not. :P This is why I wanted to get on Coffeegeek and try to pick brains to figure out what, if anything, I could do besides practice to get it right. If I go a shade lower on the grinder, it chokes completely. A shade higher and the water runs through too fast. So the tamp pressure and grind seems right, just uneven. I use "WDT" btb 'cause my Baratza does make for some clumpy grounds.

Anyway - didn't mean to turn this into - "Fix my tamp!" thread. I'll shut up now. I've enjoyed seeing everyone's set-up. I love the old grinders. Somewhere on the tube I saw a huge vintage hopper. A thing of beauty. Stuff like that, like vintage pens, is what makes hobbies like this so cool.

Best,
KCat

caribbean_skye
May 21st, 2013, 02:53 PM
Disclaimer: I'm not a coffee drinker. However, I do occasionally I like a cappucino and while I was in Greece I fell in love with their coffee (metrios pls). I do have in a storage unit: an old style manual (burr) grinder (can be used for coffee beans, spices etc), a bodum coffee press and milk frother and an inexpensive espresso machine.

ink mixer
May 21st, 2013, 08:07 PM
I'm as fanatical about coffee as fountain pens. I usually drink about two Chemex pour overs a day from a Burr grinder and digital scale. In some ways, I think the digital scale is probably the most important part of coffee making. Otherwise, I admire the espresso folks, but I don't need another obsessive hobby, so I let good shops make it for me.

Honey Mustard
May 23rd, 2013, 06:23 PM
Now that its warm out (and my AC is broken) I've been pretty much exclusively drinking cold brewed iced coffee. I still wake up with a cup from my Keurig, situated next to my alarm so I can hit "brew" first thing in the morning. But after that it's iced coffee all day long. It's just about the most refreshing thing in the entire world and so easy to brew.

tenney
May 24th, 2013, 12:13 AM

Aeropress is an inexpensive (< USD$30) easy to use, fast, easy to clean "press" coffee maker that makes a great cup approaching an espresso. It makes a consistently very good cup quickly and with crema. It's available at many places including Amazon.

See http://aerobie.com/products/aeropress/aeropress-story.htm

I like mango pudding
May 24th, 2013, 12:31 AM
yes, Aeropress is very good. In order to get the maximum benefit out of it, do the upside down method, therefore you get the crema/oils in your coffee all included.

I have this myself.

manoeuver
May 24th, 2013, 08:08 AM
I'm as fanatical about coffee as fountain pens. I usually drink about two Chemex pour overs a day from a Burr grinder and digital scale. In some ways, I think the digital scale is probably the most important part of coffee making. Otherwise, I admire the espresso folks, but I don't need another obsessive hobby, so I let good shops make it for me.A scale is good to have. I don't use mine much though. I really like having a grinder with a timer on it, it makes brewing so easy.

When I'm doing coffee instruction I always use a scale though.

KrazyIvan
May 24th, 2013, 08:15 AM
It's getting close to 100 degrees F now and I still drink coffee.

Sailor Kenshin
May 24th, 2013, 09:33 AM

Aeropress is an inexpensive (< USD$30) easy to use, fast, easy to clean "press" coffee maker that makes a great cup approaching an espresso. It makes a consistently very good cup quickly and with crema. It's available at many places including Amazon.

Thanks! I might put that in my Wish List. Is it easy to clean?

I like mango pudding
May 24th, 2013, 09:40 AM

Thanks! I might put that in my Wish List. Is it easy to clean?

for the most part, yes.

You do need to buy little round filter papers but those are really cheap. It would be no different than cleaning a drip coffee filter holder. YOu need to rinse the excess cling on grinds under a stream of water, and that's it

WenV
May 24th, 2013, 10:01 AM
Hi all,
I got hooked onto coffee brewing and coffee appreciation about 18 months ago through another forum (about travel bags, mind you) and was first introduced to the Aeropress. I bought an Aeropress and a Porlex grinder soon after and starting grinding fresh beans and brewing my own coffee. Since then, I have also bought a Bialetti Brikka (my favorite brew method), a Frieling French press, and recently a Breville Smart Grinder. Coffee drinking is now as much an obsession for me as using fountain pens. 😀

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

blopplop
May 24th, 2013, 04:56 PM
I too am a coffee geek. I generally go for whatever gourmet whole beans are being sold at Costco. When I have a few extra bucks it's Peets coffee all the way. I love Peets coffee. Almost 100% of the time I grind my beans with each cup and use a french press. I like strong coffee and I find I can get the most out of the bean using the press.

DAve

Bogon07
May 24th, 2013, 08:54 PM
House of 'Robert Timms' Bodum plunger & JamaicaBlue signature blend - for tonight's episode of Death in Paradise.

Harris Coffee micro mesh gold filter - great for a single cup.

tenney
May 25th, 2013, 12:24 AM
The aeropress is VERY easy to clean. You unscrew (half turn) the filter bottom, push the "pump" through dumping the beans and filter into the compost, then rinse it all out maybe 60 seconds to clean. It's also fast to make coffee -- put paper filter in, grind beans, put them in, pour in hot water (not as hot as for other brewing methods), stir for ten seconds, then push the "pump" to push the brew through at the end it gets harder to push as the crema comes out. Voila, done. Maybe 30-60 seconds total.

As for nice coffee beans... I like Kicking Horse (see http://www.kickinghorsecoffee.com/en/home ) Kick Ass beans (I get them by the kilo bag on Amazon at about USD$12-13 per pound).

KCat
May 26th, 2013, 11:30 AM
Starting to wish I had an aeropress to take with me on the few trips we take. I'm going to be hard pressed for decent coffee in the wilds of New Mexico next time we go. Uh. No pun intended.

manoeuver
May 28th, 2013, 11:18 AM
Starting to wish I had an aeropress to take with me on the few trips we take. I'm going to be hard pressed for decent coffee in the wilds of New Mexico next time we go. Uh. No pun intended.
You should consider purchasing an Aeropress then. That would solve your aeropress problem...

BikerBabe
May 28th, 2013, 11:49 AM
Spring water, freshly ground Kenya AA - yum! :)

Cheers! ;)

kenmc
June 5th, 2013, 11:20 AM
I have drank coffee for most of my 60 years. I am amazed how coffee and coffee making has evolved through those years but at the same time they have made a full circle. Louisiana Cajuns liked coffee when coffee wasn't cool. :) When I was a young boy all the local small stores sold coffee beans. My grandmother would "parch" the beans in a skillet on the stove top, let them cool in a metal tray, then grind them in a coffee grinder that was wall mounted. Back then, everyone used drip pots with the cloth sack. It was always STRONG coffee! If you drank coffee at my GrandMere's, you drank sweet coffee because as soon as the coffee dripped she sweetened the whole pot! In fact, that was the norm for most Cajuns back in the day.
Of course, now we don't have to go through all these procedures - we have Community coffee!

Sailor Kenshin
June 5th, 2013, 12:56 PM
Sounds wunnerful!

And now we go to the opposite: K-Cups. In the past two days, two different brands of K-Cups but with the same fluted construction, failed to puncture. Good thing we had half an eye on the procedure before catastrophe struck.

Two different brands! Unacceptible!

Thanks fer letting me vent. Whew.

tenney
June 5th, 2013, 11:18 PM
Although I don't use K cups, there is a company that sells re-usable (you fill it with the coffee you want) compatible K cups. See http://www.keepcup.com/

Sailor Kenshin
June 6th, 2013, 06:32 AM
Thanks for the link. We actually have two of them; the problem being adjusting the coffee grind JUST RIGHT.

One of the faulty-cupmakers has a caution on its web site. I sense a refund/product withdrawal/etc.

ardgedee
June 6th, 2013, 07:21 AM
Although I don't use K cups, there is a company that sells re-usable (you fill it with the coffee you want) compatible K cups. See http://www.keepcup.com/

Hmmm. I just see well-designed travel cups there, not reusable Keurig cups.

It looks like Keurig has an own-branded reusable K-cup (http://www.amazon.com/Keurig-K-Cup-Reusable-Coffee-Filter/dp/B000DLB2FI), but $13 for it is ridiculous. For twice the price I could get an Aeropress and keep an entire coffee maker in my desk.

tenney
June 6th, 2013, 11:31 PM
I thought that was the company for reusable K cups. Sorry 'bout that. As I said, I don't use K cups so it was from memory of a specialty food convention.

enchiridion
June 14th, 2013, 11:02 AM
35253526Although I drink orange peku and darjeeling tea whenever in the USA, GB or the Netherlands, I'm a heavy coffee consumer. I have a Philips Senseo, a classic Braun brewing machine that works with melitta filterpapers, a Nespresso machine, a glass pint with stamper, a Rombouts 123spresso machine and a Café Liégeois espresso machine on steam pressure (the last two are packed to give to a charity).
My preferred roast is Goudmerk by Rombouts (suppliers to the royal court in Belgium). It's a 100% Arabica that is not to oily, not burned too long (like the bitter French coffee Malongo or the Walloon Jacqmotte I like also very much). It's mildly bitter but has a slight acidity to compensate and it tastes ok both warm and cold. No cream , no sugar. The DE dessert is a blend called "red label" as opposed to "gold label". Gold label is 100 procent Arabica and red label is 75 percent arabica and 25 percent robusta varieties. The robusta is what gives American coffee the horrible taste (dusty cardboard). For the Senseo the pads bij Rombouts (Goudmerk), Oké Koffie, Ethical Coffee and the Café Liégeois (only Grandioso gusto) are by far the best. The dessert by DE is acceptable, most other pads are proof of Sturgeon's Law ("90 percent of everything is crap" worst are Graindor and Puc). In the classic coffee brewer Goudmerk is best, followed by Black Label from DE and some artisanal 100% Arabica blends from Oké Koffie, Mokapi, Hoorens (Santos Exclusive), de Olifant, St-Michel... For classic espresso machines the pods by Mokafina are excellent as is a good Italian pod (not the hyped Lavazza or Segafredo). I like the tin's with ground coffee by Illy a lot. For Nespresso I stick to the DE replacement capsules. And a typical Belgian thing the 'filter' is only acceptable if it is Goudmerk by Rombouts (Miko is awfull). A filter is an injection moulded top with coffee between 2 coffee papers and just enough space in the plastic cup to fil the porcelane cup under the filter. In a bar I look if the barista has a Shaerer of WMF machine. If I don't trust de machine or if I cannot see the espresso machine I order water, tea or beer.
There is one thing about coffee that puzzles me: the bad taste in coffee in some cultures (Starbucks has a nice styling but all these flavours and the marketing are not my cup of tea). I found that Belgian coffee in England tastes just as much as shit like English tea and apparantly the water is to blame.
When my notes next to my computer after a day of writing have a lunar coffe stain, then I know my day has been prodcutive and I guess that's how they invented ink.

AndyT
June 14th, 2013, 11:17 AM
I found that Belgian coffee in England tastes just as much as shit like English tea and apparantly the water is to blame.

Whereabouts? If by England you mean London ... fair enough!

manoeuver
June 14th, 2013, 02:31 PM
there is no shortage of american coffee roasters offering 100% arabica coffee. that said, I wouldn't buy american-roasted coffee in Europe. Stale. Same goes for european-roasted coffee here. Italian-ground coffee? only in Italy, and only if it's immediately brewed.

if you want robusta, go to france.

tandaina
June 14th, 2013, 02:54 PM
Best bet no matter where you are is buy LOCALLY roasted coffee. We buy coffee roasted in Austin. Tastes so much better than even the "gourmet" stuff that gets shipped in. (Ruta Maya rocks! If you are near Austin look for it at HEB or Costco.)

enchiridion
June 15th, 2013, 01:15 PM
London, Kingston-upon-Thames and Cambridge.

AndyT
June 15th, 2013, 02:15 PM

Thames valley water is grim - I can't understand how Londoners can bear to shave with it, far less drink the stuff. No idea about Cambridge.

enchiridion
June 16th, 2013, 09:08 AM

Thames valley water is grim - I can't understand how Londoners can bear to shave with it, far less drink the stuff. No idea about Cambridge.
last year when I was in Cambridge the water was so high entire fields next to the canals had been intentionally flooded. It is so beautifull overthere so I think that's why they can live with the grim water.

KCat
June 18th, 2013, 04:32 PM
So I had a cup from a Nespresso this weekend.

WTF?

Do they make K-cups with actual coffee in them? I mean, do they make an "espresso" K-cup that tastes like perhaps an "Americano" or at least your basic cup of coffee. That was the weakest watery 8 ozs of swill... Glad I didn't go that route for travel. EEYECH!

jar
June 18th, 2013, 06:22 PM

WTF?

Do they make K-cups with actual coffee in them? I mean, do they make an "espresso" K-cup that tastes like perhaps an "Americano" or at least your basic cup of coffee. That was the weakest watery 8 ozs of swill... Glad I didn't go that route for travel. EEYECH!

Nespresso is meant to have 50ml to 80ml espresso. If you expected an 8 ounce cuppa no wonder you found it weak. :pound:

manoeuver
June 19th, 2013, 01:19 PM
ugh!

KCat
June 19th, 2013, 03:36 PM

WTF?

Nespresso is meant to have 50ml to 80ml espresso. If you expected an 8 ounce cuppa no wonder you found it weak. :pound:

I don't know how much it was. I was throwing that out there. It was a mug and the machine determined how much water it used, not me. I used the "fill line" as per the instructions. And it wasn't an espresso k-cup. Just a coffee. Might as well have been dishwater. It filled about half the mug and the mug was about your typical coffee mug so I'd say about 5 - 6 ozs if memory serves. Of dishwater.

KrazyIvan
June 19th, 2013, 03:41 PM
We have a vending machine at work that dishes out "expresso" like that. A coworker that does not drink coffee regularly bought some thinking it should have been a full cup. when he got what he considered a "shot" of coffee, he put more money in the machine and filled the cup up. He was bouncing off the walls after that. :pound::bounce:

jar
June 19th, 2013, 04:05 PM

WTF?

I don't know how much it was. I was throwing that out there. It was a mug and the machine determined how much water it used, not me. I used the "fill line" as per the instructions. And it wasn't an espresso k-cup. Just a coffee. Might as well have been dishwater. It filled about half the mug and the mug was about your typical coffee mug so I'd say about 5 - 6 ozs if memory serves. Of dishwater.

Nespresso is NOT a K-Cup.

Nespresso machines do not automatically make 5 or 6 ounce drops.

KCat
June 19th, 2013, 06:00 PM

Golly. Didn't mean to offend. I just got my brands mixed up. I meant Keurig. Nespresso makes the CitiZ. Both use cup-like units. The CitiZ sure looks automatic to me. Put water in, it goes through a "capsule" and makes coffee. Add milk. That's your part so it's not completely automatic but then neither is the Keurig.

Maybe Nespresso's version is wondrous. I don't know.

So let me start over.

The Keurig sucked. My intent was to find out if the K-cup machine (the part I did get right) might have better coffees available or if all coffees coming from it taste like that. Sorry if I confused the two. No need to berate me.

I admit, however, that I'm dubious about either brand being able to produce a decent cup of coffee after that experience. Anything that shoots water through a tiny blot of coffee that quickly has to have limitations. Drip/press/pour over and espresso machines keep the water in contact with the grounds much longer and in my mind would make for a much stouter drink (better, again, in my opinion).

ardgedee
June 19th, 2013, 06:23 PM
The Keurig sucked. My intent was to find out if the K-cup machine (the part I did get right) might have better coffees available or if all coffees coming from it taste like that. Sorry if I confused the two. No need to berate me.

I admit, however, that I'm dubious about either brand being able to produce a decent cup of coffee after that experience. Anything that shoots water through a tiny blot of coffee that quickly has to have limitations. Drip/press/pour over and espresso machines keep the water in contact with the grounds much longer and in my mind would make for a much stouter drink (better, again, in my opinion).

Most K-cup machines will serve a variety of sizes. This means the same single cartridge has more or less water forced through it. You can see the fluid changing color during the draw, from a dark coffee color to lighter shades.

So if you want a strong brew and have an 8-ounce coffee mug, pour yourself two 4-ounce servings. You'll go through the K-cups twice as fast this way, of course.

jar
June 19th, 2013, 06:33 PM

Golly. Didn't mean to offend. I just got my brands mixed up. I meant Keurig. Nespresso makes the CitiZ. Both use cup-like units. The CitiZ sure looks automatic to me. Put water in, it goes through a "capsule" and makes coffee. Add milk. That's your part so it's not completely automatic but then neither is the Keurig.

So let me start over.

The Single serve coffee area is every bit as broad as fountain pens and so it really depends on what it is you want.

Nespresso is one of the espresso single serve formats. Keurig is a brewed coffee format.

There are a few other formats and some make both brewed coffee or espresso.

Mixing up K-cup and Nespresso is about like mixing up fountain pens and colored pencils.

Just as with fountain pens, if I had a clue what it is you like then I might be able to suggest a machine or format for you to check out.

Sailor Kenshin
June 19th, 2013, 06:35 PM

So let me start over.

I actually LIKE my K-rig. It's good at making reg'lar coffee but I haven't used it for 'spresso. For that, I have a little old stovetop thingie. Not real espresso but it has body.

KCat
June 19th, 2013, 07:15 PM
Hey jar. Well here's what I have: a low end espresso machine. Via Venezia with non-pressurized porta-filter. Honestly, I'd rather carry that wherever I go. But that's impractical.

Here's what I'll be in need of, maybe: something that will work in a small space and tolerate salt air. It may be short term--a week or so at a time. It may be permanent. I would prefer something filterless because I don't think one gets the taste from coffee from a paper filter as one does from screens. But I'm open to suggestions. And I'm just daydreaming really. I could make do with a pour over or a Moka pot and hand frother. That would allow me to take my Redbird. But an automatic machine with capsules would be easy and take up minimal space in the beach house kitchen. Still, I can imagine it would be susceptible to corrosion.

I drink americanos, espresso, and lattes. And iced coffee from espresso.

jar
June 19th, 2013, 07:25 PM
Hey jar. Well here's what I have: a low end espresso machine. Via Venezia with non-pressurized porta-filter. Honestly, I'd rather carry that wherever I go. But that's impractical.

Here's what I'll be in need of, maybe: something that will work in a small space and tolerate salt air. It may be short term--a week or so at a time. It may be permanent. I would prefer something filterless because I don't think one gets the taste from coffee from a paper filter as one does from screens. But I'm open to suggestions. And I'm just daydreaming really. I could make do with a pour over or a Moka pot and hand frother. That would allow me to take my Redbird. But an automatic machine with capsules would be easy and take up minimal space in the beach house kitchen. Still, I can imagine it would be susceptible to corrosion.

Okay. So primarily espresso based drinks.

There are several possibilities.

Nespresso makes several small machines that should do well in that environment and they also have a very broad selection of different blends and varietal coffees. The machines make either a standard or long drop. Some models also have frothers.

I did a review thread on the single serve espresso machines from Nespresso, Illy, Lavazza and Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf here (http://www.singleservecoffeeforums.com/nespresso-lavazza-illy-and-cbtl-shootout-t8537.html).

KCat
June 20th, 2013, 10:08 AM
Okay. So primarily espresso based drinks.

There are several possibilities.

Nespresso makes several small machines that should do well in that environment and they also have a very broad selection of different blends and varietal coffees. The machines make either a standard or long drop. Some models also have frothers.

I did a review thread on the single serve espresso machines from Nespresso, Illy, Lavazza and Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf here (http://www.singleservecoffeeforums.com/nespresso-lavazza-illy-and-cbtl-shootout-t8537.html).

Thanks much! Have a wonderful (if blistering hot) summer.

KCat

manoeuver
June 20th, 2013, 01:57 PM

try an aeropress.

you will get the best results if you grind fresh coffee yourself just before brewing. just saying.

KCat
June 20th, 2013, 02:51 PM

try an aeropress.

you will get the best results if you grind fresh coffee yourself just before brewing. just saying.

I've thought of that, as well. I'll probably play with one. It's a small investment and if it doesn't cut it, then the other options are out there. Already have a good grinder so...

I looked at a hand espresso maker. Amusing. Rather expensive considering what it is.

http://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/mypressi-twist-portable-espresso-maker-2-0/

Of course, both of these options mean taking my grinder with me to the beach house. It's not huge and it would take up about the space of an automatic machine so I guess it's one or the other in the long run.

This is a very isolated area. No coffee shops nearby. So one way or another I'll need *something* to make coffee. Even if it's a Turkish pot on the stove. :P

manoeuver
June 20th, 2013, 05:13 PM
Used properly an Aeropress will make splendid coffee. I promise. I make my living doing this stuff.

85AKbN
March 19th, 2014, 07:10 AM
I use a Bonivita 8 cup with natural brown filters (Melitta, or generic).
Achieves an ideal coffee brewing temperature of 200-205 degrees F.

VertOlive
March 19th, 2014, 07:18 AM
I have a Keurig. I put the Revv brand kcup in it and set the water amount to the little teacup icon. 4 of these in rapid succession puts me on my feet in the morning.

Adhizen
March 19th, 2014, 07:20 AM
I'm a coffee snob my friends say.... I have lugged over hill and dale my coffee equipment.... french press... espresso maker... coffee sock... etc... I have tried coffee in every country I have traveled in.... Costa Rica, Egypt, Mexico, Canada, England.... and across the USA... I have had adventures is roasting my own beans... and other experiments... I don't think I will try coffee pooped out by a civet cat... I do have some boundaries to my palate. I have an antique Belgium brass coffee grinder that looks like a pepper mill to the untrained eye... I am always on the quest for the perfect coffee mug...

AndyT
March 19th, 2014, 02:59 PM
By coincidence I took this photo earlier today, and thought it might serve as a decoration for this thread.

Sailor Kenshin
March 19th, 2014, 03:03 PM
Ooooo....shiiinyyyyy.

Crazyorange
March 19th, 2014, 04:48 PM
I'm taking a class in NYC. The nearby Starbucks has a rare "clover" brewer. It costs $10,000 and only a handful of Starbucks have it. Has any coffee people hear about it? It's suppose to make coffee amazing.

TerraNoir
March 19th, 2014, 05:03 PM
I'm taking a class in NYC. The nearby Starbucks has a rare "clover" brewer. It costs $10,000 and only a handful of Starbucks have it. Has any coffee people hear about it? It's suppose to make coffee amazing.

My Starbucks has one. It was suppose to be one of the first to roll out. Its totally amazing!!! A splash of soy milk on top..... Heavenly!!

Crazyorange
March 19th, 2014, 05:26 PM
Just what does this clover machine do? Isn't brewing...brewing???

TerraNoir
March 19th, 2014, 06:35 PM
Just what does this clover machine do? Isn't brewing...brewing???

They grind the coffee beans fresh in front of you. And they put it in this machine and I guess it acts like a reverse french press. I don't know the whole mechanics behind it. It just amuses me watching it being made. But it tastes so good. You know how on some coffees it says you should taste notes of something. You really can with this coffee.

Crazyorange
March 19th, 2014, 06:49 PM
Cool. That's for the info. Enjoy your cup of joe :)

I like mango pudding
March 19th, 2014, 07:05 PM
Yeah I've tried coffee from a clover. It all depends in the roast and the person making it for you. It's not all about the machine

Bogon07
March 19th, 2014, 07:05 PM
How the Clover Coffee Maker Works:
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/gadgets/kitchen/clover-coffee-maker1.htm

Clover Coffee: Building on French Presses and Vacuum PotsThe flavor of your coffee depends on two things -- how the beans are roasted and how the drink is prepared. Roasting packs the flavor potential into a coffee bean, while grinding and brewing prepare the beans in a way that maximizes the flavor. The Clover gives you control over the two brewing factors that affect the flavor, which are the temperature of the water and the dwell time, or the time in which the grounds are in contact with the water.
The Clover uses a proportional integral derivative (PID) controller to create the exact right temperature of water every time. Even a change of a few degrees in water temperature can make the difference between a cup of sludge and a cup that highlights the flavor of the bean. If the water is too hot, it will overextract the flavor of the beans, resulting in a bitter taste, but if the water is not hot enough, then you have underextraction and a weak cup of coffee.
This coffee maker also lets you dial in the exact number of seconds that the grounds are in contact with the water, and the Clover's brewing process is designed to bring out the best in the grounds. Let's look at how it compares with other coffee-making methods.

further pages in this article describe the process of making a cup of coffee.

LunaAzurina
March 20th, 2014, 09:08 PM
We have a Bodum French Press that we love. We broke a little piece on the plunger. They have excellent customer service and sent us a replacement piece in a week.

00Photo
March 20th, 2014, 10:47 PM
I also have a Bodum french press and grind my beans in a spaceship looking KitchenAid grinder. It's nice being able to adjust the size of the grind and brew times for the variations in roasts you get between bags of beans. I find I like Starbuck's Sumatran, it has a a nice earthy flavor and interesting highlights without being bitter.

Bogon07
March 21st, 2014, 02:38 AM
We have a "House of Robert Timms" plunger ...oh around the back obscured by the handle it says "Bodum" so it must be a French Press. Anyway it has done sterling service for many many years.

mmahany
March 21st, 2014, 08:58 AM
Coffee snob? Not really

Caffeine addict? Most definitely

I have two Keurig Vue V700 machines and probably 100+ Vue cups stock piled (which will be lucky to last me 2 months)

Settings:

1.) I keep mine on the hottest setting (192* I believe)
2.) The auto on/off is a lifesaver (although even $10 machines have that function)
3.) Filtered water makes a BIG difference and my city's tap water is already very good.

Favorites:
1.) I'd HIGHLY recommend buying an adapter. I have one for each machine. They cost around $10-15 I think. They allow you to use K-Cups as well as regular coffee grains. It makes for a very versatile system.
2.) Donut Shop Flavor is my favorite flavor. I've tried quite a few and this wins by far for me. However, taste (literally in this sense) is subjective
3.) Starbucks French Roast and House Blend are two other flavors I really enjoy.

I was very hesitant to buy a single serve brewer for a long time. My thought process was "Why spend more than 5x as much on a machine that saves you 2 minutes at most and limits you to 1 cup at a time."

The main benefit is its simplicity. There's almost nothing to clean up. No coffee pot that discolors over time, and when you do have to clean something it's a very small part that can be hand washed or thrown in the dishwasher.

After waiting 2 years to finally try a Keurig, I bought my second one literally the day after I tried out the first one. The additional cost has certainly been worth it for me personally.

Sailor Kenshin
March 21st, 2014, 09:53 AM
I'm thanking God now for my K-rig, as my knee's getting worse and this is fast and simple.

Titivillus
March 21st, 2014, 01:03 PM
Kuerig cups for me every morning in a contigo cup. Not quite geeky enough but I do need the caffiene.

ceramic_pizza
March 21st, 2014, 08:04 PM
I'm a coffee addict. I wish I could be a coffee snob but I don't really have the time or room for that. I get my coffee by microwaving water and pouring it over a filter. Goddamn dorm doesn't allow coffee machines. :( I can't even have an electric kettle.

Oh well. at least I have filters now and can make drip coffee, before I was making due with dining hall coffee. And that stuff not only tastes nasty, half the time there is no coffee.

00Photo
March 21st, 2014, 11:18 PM
I'm a coffee addict. I wish I could be a coffee snob but I don't really have the time or room for that. I get my coffee by microwaving water and pouring it over a filter. Goddamn dorm doesn't allow coffee machines. :( I can't even have an electric kettle.

Oh well. at least I have filters now and can make drip coffee, before I was making due with dining hall coffee. And that stuff not only tastes nasty, half the time there is no coffee.

I remember those days. Lucky for me I didn't like coffee back then. I made do with mountain dew and no doze pills. I used to put mountain dew in my cereal in the morning. :D

85AKbN
March 22nd, 2014, 07:02 AM
my keurig broke and i didn't replace it, so i have a couple of unopened boxes (kona and donut shop, and some loose not finished boxes). contact me if you want them. U.S. shipping only please. :)

Sailor Kenshin
March 22nd, 2014, 09:48 AM
If no one contacts you, could you take them to work or donate to a food pantry?

85AKbN
March 22nd, 2014, 10:14 AM
If no one contacts you, could you take them to work or donate to a food pantry?
i wouldn't throw them out. :)

00Photo
March 22nd, 2014, 12:00 PM
I snapped a quick photo this morning mid brew.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7401/13333831453_fa19ed728d_o.jpg

tenney
March 22nd, 2014, 09:55 PM
I never knew that Clover's were "rare". It just seemed that most Starbucks in the SF Bay Area had them ... and then I went into a small store and was suprised they didn't have one.

85AKbN
March 23rd, 2014, 09:14 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oct-MsEfvco#t=58

jfsisler
March 26th, 2014, 11:20 AM
Glad to see that there are other folks here who use a Keurig -- I live by mine. Can't say I drink coffee for the caffienne jolt, but I do love the flavor of hazelnut and the warmth of a steamy cup first thing in the morning. I have a reuseable filter so I can use my favorite hazelnut decaf (have to use decaf when on my allergy meds or else my heart rate gets too high), and I just love it. That being said, I'm on my fifth single cup one since 2010 --guess it's a good thing our electronics recycling people can take them. So far so good for this one though, especially since the warranty ran out last July. I like my coffee strong and bitter, about 1/3 warm milk, no sugar.

Cookies
March 26th, 2014, 05:15 PM

Ahh, dorm days. I can't make it out of bed without a cup of coffee, so back then I snuck a mini brewer in my room and I would hide it in my hamper when the RAs came around. I'm no coffee snob but they slop they served in the dining hall was gag-worthy.

tenney
March 27th, 2014, 12:55 AM
I have a reuseable filter so I can use my favorite hazelnut decaf (have to use decaf when on my allergy meds or else my heart rate gets too high), and I just love it. That being said, I'm on my fifth single cup one since 2010 --guess it's a good thing our electronics recycling people can take them.

Keuriq has said that their next gen unit will use DRM'ed cups -- cups with digital rights management to prevent people from using any cup not from Keuriq.

Sailor Kenshin
March 27th, 2014, 05:44 AM
I have a reuseable filter so I can use my favorite hazelnut decaf (have to use decaf when on my allergy meds or else my heart rate gets too high), and I just love it. That being said, I'm on my fifth single cup one since 2010 --guess it's a good thing our electronics recycling people can take them.

Keuriq has said that their next gen unit will use DRM'ed cups -- cups with digital rights management to prevent people from using any cup not from Keuriq.

Nobody would buy one.

Pens&Lit
March 27th, 2014, 05:55 AM
I have a Keurig at home with the K-Cup. As to the Clover video, there's a coffee shop near me that uses them for their by the cup coffee. The coffee that thing makes is nothing short of amazing.

lisantica
March 27th, 2014, 06:30 AM
I just did a search of Starbucks near me with the Clover system....must drive 30 miles, but I intend to do so in the next day or two.

Crazyorange
March 27th, 2014, 07:36 AM
Thanks for the video. It's great to see the process.

Newjelan
March 28th, 2014, 01:06 AM
Starbucks closed down in Melbourne as they couldn't make a profit in a city of more than 4,000,000 people. We love coffee in Melbourne and are VERY particular about it. We're proud of the fact that chain store "coffee" houses doesn't succeed here and it's the artisans who do very well.

We have a specialist coffee roaster & supplier 100m from our house, another about 1km away and numerous (15 or so) cafés with awesome coffee within 500m as well as our own precision equipment. Coffee is an art form and an essential part of each day IMO.

Scrawler
April 29th, 2014, 10:22 AM

It is my dream to have either this or the Gaggia hissing and steaming copper and brass machine in my kitchen.

rgperedo
May 12th, 2014, 09:26 AM
I have a small Moka that I've had for about 4 years. I bought it the first time I lived in Italy. I love the simplicity of it. I also have a nice (cheap) milk frother also bought in Italy. My whole set up economical. I use mostly Lavazza dolce e gusto espresso I also enjoy Lavazza qualitá oro which is much deeper in taste. I drink either regular doppio espresso, dry cappuccinos or shakeratos with amaretto. I love love coffee. Also I found some decent Lavazza coffee here but the selection is skimpy, and very overpriced.

Holsworth
May 24th, 2014, 10:56 AM
Having sold my Nespresso machine due to lack of kitchen space (as well as the fact they seem so wasteful) I got myself a small but effective set up - a hario skerton mill, a V60 1 cup dripper and some beans. I've got a bit of a Monmouth coffee addiction, and thankfully a friend at work who walks past Sourced at St Pancras a few times a week who can pick up some beans for me when I run out!

ardgedee
May 24th, 2014, 03:35 PM
I've become dependent on the Aeropress for my daily brew. The secret turned out to be using a sufficiently fine mesh screen and a nearly-espresso grind in the Hario. The other secret is mastering the upside-down method. :D

I like mango pudding
May 24th, 2014, 11:55 PM
Yes I too love my aeropress. I just use a paper filter because after I finish pressing I just pop out the grinds right into the garbage with one fine mighty wack on the bottom of the press and it shoots out like a mini cannon ball of coffeee.

I too use the upside down method

Toffer
May 26th, 2014, 05:42 AM
I keep looking at the aeropress and umm and argh at whether to buy one. What's the upside down method and what difference does it make?

ardgedee
May 26th, 2014, 07:35 AM
The upside down (a.k.a. inverted) method is literally the technique of brewing coffee in an upside-down Aeropress.

See Aeropress's instructions for use (http://aerobie.com/images/AeroPress%20Instructions%20for%20Web%20L.pdf) and you'll notice they recommend setting the chamber directly on your cup and filling it with grounds and water, then stirring and adding the plunger.

To brew upside-down, stand the Aeropress on its plunger, with chamber fitted on top, fill the chamber with grounds and water, and then add the screen after stirring. When the brew time is done, the whole thing has to be flipped over onto a cup -- it takes a couple tries to figure out how to do this without a small mess, but it's not difficult. There are a lot of demonstration videos on YouTube.

The main advantage of the upside-down method is getting a stronger brew without over-steeping. It is also the best way to use metal filters -- with the standard method, the paper filters will usually hold back most of the water before you add the plunger, but mesh filters will not.

TMac
May 26th, 2014, 11:08 AM
I've given up on Kuerig - 2 machines both stopped functioning in less than a year with moderate use. Going to try and find an Aeropress, sounds like it may be what I would like!

I like mango pudding
May 26th, 2014, 12:59 PM
I keep looking at the aeropress and umm and argh at whether to buy one. What's the upside down method and what difference does it make?

The upside down (a.k.a. inverted) method is literally the technique of brewing coffee in an upside-down Aeropress.

See Aeropress's instructions for use (http://aerobie.com/images/AeroPress%20Instructions%20for%20Web%20L.pdf) and you'll notice they recommend setting the chamber directly on your cup and filling it with grounds and water, then stirring and adding the plunger.

To brew upside-down, stand the Aeropress on its plunger, with chamber fitted on top, fill the chamber with grounds and water, and then add the screen after stirring. When the brew time is done, the whole thing has to be flipped over onto a cup -- it takes a couple tries to figure out how to do this without a small mess, but it's not difficult. There are a lot of demonstration videos on YouTube.

The main advantage of the upside-down method is getting a stronger brew without over-steeping. It is also the best way to use metal filters -- with the standard method, the paper filters will usually hold back most of the water before you add the plunger, but mesh filters will not.

also, best seen on Ytube. do a search on "aeropress upside down " and you'll see what that means.

I just finished a second cup of coffee this morning from my aeropress using this method.

Wile E Coyote
May 26th, 2014, 04:13 PM
The Aeropress does make a good cup of coffee but it is limited in the volume of coffee made per cycle. It does not fill my mug which isn't exactly oversized and forget about a travel mug.

The best IMHO is the simplest: A filter and cone. Complete control of everything.

I like mango pudding
May 26th, 2014, 07:11 PM
The Aeropress does make a good cup of coffee but it is limited in the volume of coffee made per cycle. It does not fill my mug which isn't exactly oversized and forget about a travel mug.

The best IMHO is the simplest: A filter and cone. Complete control of everything.

Just brew at double strength and the add hot water left over from your kettle to top it up

henkm
May 26th, 2014, 10:25 PM

Yay for drip coffee. My grandmother made it on a round filter but you don't see those much anymore.

RayCornett
May 26th, 2014, 11:26 PM
Nothing beats fresh roasted, fresh ground beans and a press......

Sailor Kenshin
May 27th, 2014, 04:48 AM

Yay for drip coffee. My grandmother made it on a round filter but you don't see those much anymore.

Metal or porcelain? Either way, I think I still have a metal one somewhere...the round kind. Thise two-stage porcelain drip pots are now both rare and collectible.

henkm
May 27th, 2014, 05:50 AM

Metal or porcelain? Either way, I think I still have a metal one somewhere...the round kind. Thise two-stage porcelain drip pots are now both rare and collectible.

Porcelain, it looked very old.

Holsworth
May 27th, 2014, 06:07 AM
I backed this on kickstarter last year, looking forward to getting it and seeing how well it does!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1347010534/duo-coffee-steeper

tenney
June 3rd, 2014, 12:23 AM
Three times the cost of an Aeropress. I sure hope it's great. Let us know.

Holsworth
June 3rd, 2014, 03:38 AM
Three times the cost of an Aeropress. I sure hope it's great. Let us know.

For some reason an aeropress had never really appealed to me. Love my V60 for daily use (small, simple, fits in the cupboard with the mugs) but wanted something else for more than 1 cup for when we have people over or if the other half decides he wants one too. Plus, it's kinda pretty!

TMac
June 3rd, 2014, 03:51 AM
Went out this weekend and purchased an Aeropress. I was not expecting much given the low cost but I am pretty impressed. Much better cup of coffee than what I get from Kuerig or mr. Coffee. Right now, I'm only using grocery store bought cans of coffee, can't wait to get out and buy some beans for a fresh grind.

caribbean_skye
June 3rd, 2014, 05:32 AM
I backed this on kickstarter last year, looking forward to getting it and seeing how well it does!

Just watched the video. You will have to give us your impressions after you're received it and tried it out.

manoeuver
June 3rd, 2014, 10:13 AM
Aeropress To Go
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m262/timhofmann/2014-06-03120848_zps8ea9d02f.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m262/timhofmann/2014-06-03120925_zps28e3b3a3.jpg

I like mango pudding
June 3rd, 2014, 10:21 AM

Just watched the video. You will have to give us your impressions after you're received it and tried it out.

Me too - just watched it, but I'm not about to try yet another portable to go coffee machine. The Aeropress is the one for me and don't have plans to change it. I've got three espresso machines at home, plus about a half dozen other types of coffee makers/machines as well. The Aeropress is one of two machines/makers I have at work, and the only one that is used on a daily basis.

Sailor Kenshin
June 4th, 2014, 06:59 AM
Can someone who owns the Aeropress give me an idea of how easy it is to use, disassemble and clean? It's been at the back of my mind a while now.

I have a plunge press pot and rarely use it because it's fussy to get clean. Thanks.

ardgedee
June 4th, 2014, 07:19 AM
The Aeropress is the easiest to clean, in my opinion. The plunger surface can simply be wiped after use, and since it effectively wipes down the sides of the chamber with each use, the chamber cylinder doesn't need washing often. The paper filter is disposable, and that leaves the filter basket, which I usually rinse clean after each use. I wash the plunger and filter basket with soap and a dish brush a couple times a week.

This is when compared to other coffee processes I've used: Espresso machines (Braun and La Pavoni), French Press, vacuum pot, drip machine, and pour over. A cone filter holder is pretty easy to clean too but I've found it difficult to get all the coffee residue out of the corners if I accidentally let it dry before washing. Since there are different types of holders, ymmv.

I like mango pudding
June 4th, 2014, 12:24 PM
agree with ardgedee.

Once I finish plunging, I get ready and aim it at either the garden outside, or the compost bin and BAM, push it out with one forceful push and see that coffee puck go flying!!! The finer the grind, and the longer you wait to push that puck out the cleaner the rubber plunger is. I rarely need to clean the plunger. Youtube the videos on this machine and you'll know what I am talking about.

gbryal
June 4th, 2014, 12:31 PM
As soon as I saw this thread I thought, maybe there is a thread for us tea drinkers. But the forum's search function says "tea" is too short a word. You coffee people run the world, don't you?

amk
April 10th, 2019, 03:56 AM
Drinking Kenya Peaberry since 1981. Currently on Ethiopian coffee bought on a trip out there earlier this year.

I started off on a Bodum cafetiere, broke two doing the washing up and now have a stainless caftetiere... but I'm reading this and thinking I must get an Aeropress.

Do people have advice on what Aeropress package to go for? There seems to be a fair amount of choice on Amazon.fr.

I also enjoy cold pressed coffee. Is there a neat and tidy way of making this, rather than using two mugs and filter paper in a tea strainer?

manoeuver
April 10th, 2019, 06:31 AM
This is a fun old thread!
since the OP I moved to Ohio and started a coffee roastery. Coming up on our 5-year anniversary!
Opened 2 shops here in Hilliard and should have one open adjacent to the University within a week or so.

My home rig is almost the same, I've switched out the old drip brewer for a Bunn home unit.

KrazyIvan
April 10th, 2019, 08:51 AM
Since the OP, My wife replaced my French press since she broke while washing it. It's a nice stainless steel model. I also added two mokka pots to the mix, one is single serve size and the other is a 9 cup size, stainless model which seems like an odd size but I guess it makes up for water lost to soaking the grinds and a bit that does not make it to the top.

calamus
April 10th, 2019, 10:10 AM
Coffee beans from Java... Java Estate the seller called it. Medium roast, maybe even light-medium, definitely not dark. The most enjoyable coffee I've ever drunk. Alas, haven't been able to find it anywhere in the past 20+ years, except for one small boutique roaster who used it in blends and wouldn't sell me any unless it was blended. If anyone knows where I can find any...

manoeuver
April 10th, 2019, 04:06 PM
Coffee beans from Java... Java Estate the seller called it. Medium roast, maybe even light-medium, definitely not dark. The most enjoyable coffee I've ever drunk. Alas, haven't been able to find it anywhere in the past 20+ years, except for one small boutique roaster who used it in blends and wouldn't sell me any unless it was blended. If anyone knows where I can find any...

Good news and bad news. 'Estate' usually means the coffee came from a single farm. These days it's usually followed by the name of the farm. If I ever pick up some Java I'll let you know. I have some other Indonesian beans but no Java ATM.

FredRydr
April 10th, 2019, 08:37 PM
What's the distinction between beans that look shiny (oily?) and beans that look dry? It doesn't seem to matter whether they're light or dark roast.

By the way, last week I discovered Klearly Koffee (https://www.noblechemical.com/product/?id=12010), only half a century late.

manoeuver
April 11th, 2019, 06:35 AM
What's the distinction between beans that look shiny (oily?) and beans that look dry? It doesn't seem to matter whether they're light or dark roast.

By the way, last week I discovered Klearly Koffee (https://www.noblechemical.com/product/?id=12010), only half a century late.

Fred, a darker roast brings oil to the surface of coffee beans relatively immediately.
My dark roasts are shiny and oily the day they're roasted.

If it's a light or medium roast and the beans are oily, it's a good sign they are old and most likely gross.

calamus
April 11th, 2019, 12:21 PM
I'll take that as good news, and keep my fingers crossed. Thank you!!

adhoc
April 12th, 2019, 12:38 PM
We're in a unique position - located right between Italy and the balkans, which were under Ottoman empire for centuries. So over here, or at least I personally, like to prepare coffee in two ways.

1.) What we know as the Italian way over here. It's a dual chamber pot, which unscrews at the middle. You fill the water in the bottom chamber, and coffee in the middle where a filter goes. The water then boils and the vapor goes through the ground coffee, then cools back down in the upper chamber. After a while, the upper chamber fills up with coffee (beverage). Pour into a cup, add sugar and milk based on your preference.

https://i.imgur.com/FVQnGIL.jpg

2.) What we know as the Turkish coffee (and for the Greeks here, the Greek coffee!). It's called a džezva. You put water in it, wait for it to boil, then remove half of the boiling water into a cup, put in a few table spoons of coffee (depending on how strong you like it - I like 2 spoons per cup, which is very strong) and sugar for those that drink it sweet, wait for it to boil again, wait a little until the coffee foam cools down, and pour the water from the cup back into it. Wait again until it boils, then pour into a cup. Add milk if you like. This coffee is very strong and is my personal favorite. There will be heavy ground coffee residue at the bottom - don't drink that. Well, some more hardcore than me, do. But I'd advise against it, it can be nasty for your stomach.

https://i.imgur.com/75Dge66.jpg

I personally drink coffee with a tiny bit of skinned milk, no sugar.

P.S.: I only drink this coffee, if I can. When you open a pack, the smell alone can make your day. I see it's even sold internationally on amazon, for anyone wanting to try it.
https://i.imgur.com/Mecvpb8.jpg

penwash
April 12th, 2019, 12:46 PM
We're in a unique position - located right between Italy and the balkans, which were under Ottoman empire for centuries. So over here, or at least I personally, like to prepare coffee in two ways.

1.) What we know as the Italian way over here. It's a dual chamber pot, which unscrews at the middle. You fill the water in the bottom chamber, and coffee in the middle where a filter goes. The water then boils and the vapor goes through the ground coffee, then cools back down in the upper chamber. After a while, the upper chamber fills up with coffee (beverage). Pour into a cup, add sugar and milk based on your preference.

https://i.imgur.com/FVQnGIL.jpg

I personally drink coffee with a tiny bit of skinned milk, no sugar.

That photo reminds me of this:

https://www.giardino.it/pens/mazzuoli/IMMAGINI/MokaTutte.jpg

titrisol
April 12th, 2019, 01:11 PM
Yeah, those moka pens (https://www.mazzuoli.it/en/moka.html)are awesome and they are inspired in the Bialetti moka-express

IIRC Bialetti designed his moka-express pot in the times of Mussolini, where coffee and aluminum were seen as part of the modernization of Italy
Basically it was the poor man's espresso machine, in which the water boils at the bottom and builds pressure before pushing through the coffee (espresso). The pressure is needed to overcome the resistance of the coffee bed, and the way you pack the coffee and how fine the gorunds are makes a difference
http://www.mokabees.com/wp-content/uploads/how-does-moka-pot-work.png (http://www.mokabees.com/how-to-make-moka-pot-coffee-espresso-ultimate-guide/)

History of the Bialetti Moka-express
https://ineedcoffee.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/bialetti-moka-express-ad1-e1407979493698.jpg (https://ineedcoffee.com/the-story-of-the-bialetti-moka-express/)

Tutorial for Moka-express
https://ineedcoffee.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/stovetop-espresso-brewing-tutorial.jpg (https://ineedcoffee.com/stovetop-espresso-brewing-tutorial/)

PS: PenHero has them for $60 instead of 160!
I couldn't resist and I ordered a black-acrylic pen.... review in a few days

http://aziende.freecomm.biz/390296/images/chiaroscuro_catalog.jpg

adhoc
April 12th, 2019, 01:25 PM
Interesting! I didn't know that either.

azkid
April 12th, 2019, 05:22 PM
That moka pot reminds me a little of a camping espresso maker that I got which also uses steam pressure to force water through the grounds. My wife, who lived in Germany for 6 years, told me they used something like it all the time. I bet it was a machine similar to the Bialetti.

Not sure what we are talking about besides coffee stuff, but I use a Gaggia Espresso Deluxe we bought about 15 years ago to make iced lattes 1-2 times a day, most days.

I realize that iced lattes are a sacrilege to some connoisseurs but whatever. It is a decent little machine. Very much entry level, though. I keep thinking about upgrading.

During its long life I've only had to replace the power switch and now the temp light burned out on the brew switch, but the pump and heater elements keep going strong.

I modded it with an adjustable pressure valve. Maybe I will put a PID controller and 3-way valve on it one of these days.

I forgot what brand the burr grinder is. I did roast my own beans from Sweet Maria's for awhile but don't do it much anymore as it smokes up the house when I do a Vienna roast or darker which annoys my wife. :)

titrisol
April 17th, 2019, 07:07 AM
That is exactly what the Bialetti pot does!
It takes a bit of practice to know how fine the grounds should be; how much you should use (too much cmakes to much pressure) etc
BIaletti was the original inventor !

That moka pot reminds me a little of a camping espresso maker that I got which also uses steam pressure to force water through the grounds. My wife, who lived in Germany for 6 years, told me they used something like it all the time. I bet it was a machine similar to the Bialetti.

Not sure what we are talking about besides coffee stuff, but I use a Gaggia Espresso Deluxe we bought about 15 years ago to make iced lattes 1-2 times a day, most days.

I realize that iced lattes are a sacrilege to some connoisseurs but whatever. It is a decent little machine. Very much entry level, though. I keep thinking about upgrading.

During its long life I've only had to replace the power switch and now the temp light burned out on the brew switch, but the pump and heater elements keep going strong.

I modded it with an adjustable pressure valve. Maybe I will put a PID controller and 3-way valve on it one of these days.

I forgot what brand the burr grinder is. I did roast my own beans from Sweet Maria's for awhile but don't do it much anymore as it smokes up the house when I do a Vienna roast or darker which annoys my wife. :)

Marywildavsky
January 29th, 2020, 10:22 AM
Hmm! Fountain Pens and Coffee! Well, yes. They go together. Local Highwire (Oakland, CA) roaster’s Batak from Sumatra, made in The American Press (best cleanest press pot ever!), and on the weekend Port of Mokha’s Yemeni beans for a different experience. And then select which lovely pen to write with for that day.....

Cookedj
January 29th, 2020, 12:22 PM
I enjoy good coffee - really good coffee. I'm interested in the Port of Mokha coffee - can you only buy it online?

guyy
January 30th, 2020, 05:13 AM
My mother gave me her 1980s la Pavoni Europiccola a couple years ago. I replaced the switch and gave it an overhaul. Then i got a Pharos hand grinder to go with it. (No room for an electric grinder in this NYC kitchen).

I used to roast my own beans, but i haven’t since i moved to New York; i don’t have a garage anymore. The best coffee i ever had was some Yirgacheffe i roasted myself.

I have a couple espresso every morning and once in a while a third in the afternoon.

Scooby921
January 30th, 2020, 06:08 AM
My mother gave me her 1980s la Pavoni Europiccola a couple years ago. I replaced the switch and gave it an overhaul. Then i got a Pharos hand grinder to go with it. (No room for an electric grinder in this NYC kitchen).

I used to roast my own beans, but i haven’t since i moved to New York; i don’t have a garage anymore. The best coffee i ever had was some Yirgacheffe i roasted myself.

I have a couple espresso every morning and once in a while a third in the afternoon.
I've had some Ethiopian Yirgacheffe. Not my favorite. It's good, but we all have different tastes. Ethiopian has immense depth and earthy tones. I prefer lighter, sweeter coffees. Brazil, Panama, Costa Rica...

For years I was ordering fresh roasted beans online. Recently discovered my local grocery store stocks whole beans. Not quite as fresh as roasted-to-order and shipped 2-day to my door, but good enough. They carry a Jamaican blend and an island blend. I think the island blend is a Kona blend. I know I'm not getting Blue Mountain Reserve or 100% Kona for $11/lb, but it's as good or better than the Brazil Yellow Bourbon and Panama Boquete I was buying at $20/lb.

FredRydr
January 30th, 2020, 07:08 AM
I've been able to sample a lot of different coffee bean types over the past year, grinding them for my collection of French presses. I'm not a fan of the Mocha Java blend, but I discovered I really like "Sumatra Kopi." As I was preparing to post here, I did a bit of research and learned "Kopi Luwak" are coffee beans that pass through the alimentary canal of a forest creature before being gathered, primarily in Indonesia (including Sumatra). In other words, coffee beans picked out of civet poo. Fine, and it's been done for a long time without killing imbibers who pay a lot (up to $500 lb.) for the privilege. But I'm suspicious. My beans cost no more than others, and "Luwak" is missing from the "Sumatra Kopi" label that the seller placed on the 1lb. bag.

A bit of searching reveals: "Kopi is the Indonesian word for coffee. Luwak is a local name of the Asian palm civet in Sumatra. Palm civets are primarily frugivorous, feeding on berries and pulpy fruits such as figs and palms...." Awww, I'm drinking coffee made from beans rejected by the civets!

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f7/Luwak.jpg/440px-Luwak.jpg

jar
January 30th, 2020, 09:24 AM
http://www.fototime.com/0A5D6650D488014/standard.jpg

FredRydr
January 30th, 2020, 10:56 AM
Whoa! That’s what it takes to get a cup of coffee in your neighborhood?

guyy
January 30th, 2020, 03:48 PM

I've had some Ethiopian Yirgacheffe. Not my favorite. It's good, but we all have different tastes. Ethiopian has immense depth and earthy tones. I prefer lighter, sweeter coffees. Brazil, Panama, Costa Rica...

A good Yirgacheffe can be floral. The one i'm talking about had an apricot taste, and it was quite sweet. I think they're often roasted too quick and end up too acid and too raucous.

I like variety, so i do enjoy those smooth & balanced Central American coffees, too. I usually go for the Costa Rican ones. I often alternate between an African and a Central American.

jar
January 30th, 2020, 06:21 PM

It's 101 years old now and in far better shape than I am.

FredRydr
January 30th, 2020, 06:49 PM
I’m afraid you’ve lost me.

Scooby921
January 31st, 2020, 05:28 AM

I’m afraid you’ve lost me.
I'm thinking the firearm is a bit less rusty and the joints move more freely...

Chrissy
January 31st, 2020, 05:32 AM
Whoa. That's the first time I ever saw a picture of a real gun in a real hand.....

85AKbN
February 3rd, 2020, 04:17 AM
I drive to McDonald's about once a week and get 4 large coffees and pay for three (coupon survey code gets two for one).

Fermata
February 3rd, 2020, 08:33 AM
I drive to McDonald's about once a week and get 4 large coffees and pay for three (coupon survey code gets two for one).

I have had worse coffee in some specialist coffee houses than a black McDonalds coffee, not my first choice you understand but not as big a hardship as you might think.

Cookedj
February 3rd, 2020, 08:55 AM
I have found McDonald's coffee is hit and miss. It used to be amazing where ever I went, but over the years it has changed. When I'm travelling around the US, I usually hit up a Loves Truck stop, they've got great coffee.

Lady Onogaro
February 3rd, 2020, 09:10 AM
I have found McDonald's coffee is hit and miss. It used to be amazing where ever I went, but over the years it has changed. When I'm travelling around the US, I usually hit up a Loves Truck stop, they've got great coffee.

My husband loves the coffee at Pilot and RaceTrac. (Not a coffee drinker myself, so I have no idea.)

Cookedj
February 3rd, 2020, 10:42 AM
They are good too. The thing that makes the truck stop coffee good is they always have fresh pots, and different types.

DumDum
February 3rd, 2020, 11:19 AM
With a mild peptic ulcer caffeinated drinks are a no no. Same for alcohol. Not much fun being restricted to milk and water, but at least it saves money. Oh how I envy those who get a kick from their joe.

Scrawler
February 7th, 2020, 10:09 AM

That look a lot like the first pistol my dad put in my hand when I was 6. It was a .25 but not a Colt and it did not have a grip safety. It was some sort of European make that now escapes me after all this time.

AzJon
February 7th, 2020, 11:20 AM

I have had worse coffee in some specialist coffee houses than a black McDonalds coffee, not my first choice you understand but not as big a hardship as you might think.

Its sort of the same phenomenon as the wine or whiskey world. There is a point where the complexity may not be to your liking, but is also being geared towards the specialty consumers.

The variation of "coffee" out there, bean origin, blends, roasting level, etc. has a huge impact on what flavors come out. All of which has nothing specifically to do with what you like as a coffee. I had an ethiopian recently that tasted like blueberry muffins. Absolutely not what I want out of a coffee, but I could appreciate it for what it was.

Edit to add: it's a not dissimilar argument to the "but my G7 gel pen works fine and was cheap and writes every time. Why would I buy that expensive [insert brand] pen that is finicky on cheap paper?"

tde44
February 7th, 2020, 12:46 PM

Cool - love coffee, pens and firearms of all types. :applause:

FredRydr
July 31st, 2020, 05:39 AM
I use French presses and a burr coffee grinder. Today I read a letter (written on folded A4 with Oster Kahakki in a little Sheaffer Balance) from a pen friend in Warendorf, Germany. She writes that she bought a Chemex coffee maker to supplement her French press, and that the two methods produce two different types of coffee from the same beans. I know nothing about Chemex, and what I read on the Chemex website seems to indicate it's just a coffee filter in a cone-topped glass vessel, but makes the claim that it removes oil from the coffee. I may just like the oil, as I do the fine sludge in the bottom of the cup.

Can anyone share their experience with Chemex?

jar
July 31st, 2020, 06:12 AM
I use French presses and a burr coffee grinder. Today I read a letter (written on folded A4 with Oster Kahakki in a little Sheaffer Balance) from a pen friend in Warendorf, Germany. She writes that she bought a Chemex coffee maker to supplement her French press, and that the two methods produce two different types of coffee from the same beans. I know nothing about Chemex, and what I read on the Chemex website seems to indicate it's just a coffee filter in a cone-topped glass vessel, but makes the claim that it removes oil from the coffee. I may just like the oil, as I do the fine sludge in the bottom of the cup.

Yes, the filter papers can absorb some oils but you can get the same effect adding one of the round paper filters designed for a French Press.

guyy
July 31st, 2020, 06:15 AM
The Chemex makes nice filter coffee. I think it’s true that you’d get less oil compared to the french press, but that’s somewhat coffee dependent.

Be aware that the filters are different than the typical coffee filter you find in the grocery store. It’s not that hard to find them in coffee shops and the like, but still an extra complication.

tde44
July 31st, 2020, 07:52 AM

Me too! If only there was a great image with all three like the coffee & guns one.

tde44
July 31st, 2020, 08:00 AM
Whoa. That's the first time I ever saw a picture of a real gun in a real hand.....

You need to get out more :)

jar
August 1st, 2020, 02:37 PM

Me too! If only there was a great image with all three like the coffee & guns one.

Your wish is my command:

FredRydr
August 1st, 2020, 03:24 PM
Whoa. That's the first time I ever saw a picture of a real gun in a real hand.....You need to get out more :)
Let us broaden our minds.

FredRydr
August 1st, 2020, 03:28 PM
Or

KrazyIvan
August 1st, 2020, 08:36 PM
I follow a coffee youtuber and he recommended microwaving your beans right before grinding. I must say that has really made my coffee taste a bit bolder and I like it. He mentions you should experiment with how long to microwave them because humidity and differences in microwave wattages affect the taste. I found my 1100 watt microwave and 60 seconds of zapping the beans brings out the best in my brew. I am using a moka pot to brew my coffee. Oh and here is a link to the video. Warning. Mr. Hoffmann takes coffee brewing to extremely geeky levels. Due to the nature of this site I think that should be okay but I thought a warning would be appropriate. :D

https://youtu.be/yXCboVCDHLw

Radonactionservices
August 1st, 2020, 09:11 PM
I found a Moka pot at a garage sale for $2. Amazing coffee on a gas stove. It’s not quite expresso, but stronger than anything I can get out of a Keurig. Some coffees work better than others. Not sure why.

Maybe I am on a trend with old technologies - fountain pens, Moka pot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FredRydr
August 1st, 2020, 09:56 PM
...Warning. Mr. Hoffmann takes coffee brewing to extremely geeky levels. Due to the nature of this site I think that should be okay but I thought a warning would be appropriate. :D

I drove down to his shop early Saturday morning of the last Columbus Ohio Pen Show expecting to meet him accidentally on purpose, but no dice. I took a brewed house coffee back with me.

manoeuver
August 2nd, 2020, 04:55 AM

I use a Chemex in the roastery. It's about as far from French Press as you can get.

The thick paper filter eliminates oil and sediment in the cup, making an exceptionally clean coffee.
Using fresh coffee, a Chemex can support very high ratios, brewing very strong coffee without a trace of bitterness.

If you're into the oils and sediment in French Press coffee, Chemex isn't your method-- although if you're really trying to get to know a coffee comparing pressed and Chemex preparations will give you a very good idea of the range of the bean.

I brew coffee in many many ways at my biz. Chemex is one method I consider a real treat.

edit: this post reads like ad copy. Sorry bout that. Part of my job is to write clearly and descriptively about coffee.

Chrissy
August 2nd, 2020, 05:02 AM

I use a Chemex in the roastery. It's about as far from French Press as you can get.

The thick paper filter eliminates oil and sediment in the cup, making an exceptionally clean coffee.
Using fresh coffee, a Chemex can support very high ratios, brewing very strong coffee without a trace of bitterness.

If you're into the oils and sediment in French Press coffee, Chemex isn't your method-- although if you're really trying to get to know a coffee comparing pressed and Chemex preparations will give you a very good idea of the range of the bean.

I brew coffee in many many ways at my biz. Chemex is one method I consider a real treat.

edit: this post reads like ad copy. Sorry bout that. Part of my job is to write clearly and descriptively about coffee.
Very interesting. Thank you. :)

KrazyIvan
August 2nd, 2020, 08:21 AM
...Warning. Mr. Hoffmann takes coffee brewing to extremely geeky levels. Due to the nature of this site I think that should be okay but I thought a warning would be appropriate. :D

I drove down to his shop early Saturday morning of the last Columbus Ohio Pen Show expecting to meet him accidentally on purpose, but no dice. I took a brewed house coffee back with me.

I dont think we are talking about the same person. The youtuber is based in the UK as far as I can tell.

FredRydr
August 2nd, 2020, 08:26 AM

I dont think we are talking about the same person. The youtuber is based in the UK as far as I can tell.
Mea culpa. I write of the Hofmann that's this thread's OP.

manoeuver
August 2nd, 2020, 08:42 AM

Mea culpa. I write of the Hofmann that's this thread's OP.

That's a-me! Sorry I missed you Fred, I was no doubt at the show! If we ever have another show let's be sure to hang out.

Chuck Naill
August 2nd, 2020, 12:09 PM
Just noticed this thread. I have a Chemex, press, and one of those interesting stove top expresso pots. Day to day I use the press. I do have a special pot with one of those skinny spouts for the Chemex.

guyy
August 5th, 2020, 03:04 PM
https://i.imgur.com/4iMX2fs.jpg

Espresso from a 1980s la Pavoni + obligatory pen content.

Scrawler
August 6th, 2020, 10:03 AM
Just noticed this thread. I have a Chemex, press, and one of those interesting stove top expresso pots. Day to day I use the press. I do have a special pot with one of those skinny spouts for the Chemex.

I would not have known what a Chemex was but for Mr. Hoffmann.

Kaputnik
August 11th, 2020, 10:59 AM
Fair warning, this post is likely to ramble a bit.

We have just gotten electricity back after a week, following tropical storm Isaias. Since my stove and other appliances are electric, my morning coffee had to come from elsewhere. A local bagel shop, a bakery, and the Keurig maker at work all provided adequate coffee, although the bakery was just barely adequate. Their croissants are excellent, though.

I've gone through different phases in learning about coffee. Started with instant many years ago, and everyone ought to try that just so that they can appreciate the difference. Finally got a drip coffee maker, and tried a stovetop percolator at one point. The percolator coffee wasn't to my taste, but it got me to grinding my own beans in order to get a coarse enough grind. My electric burr grinder is a pain to clean thoroughly, and it seemed that coffee was getting wasted, so I went to hand grinders. Currently I make coffee mostly with a Hario pour over maker, a French press, or occasionally with an Aero Press. Every now and then I make Turkish coffee. I found that using a cezve properly on an electric stove is tricky, so I cheat and use a Beko electric Turkish coffee machine, which works great.

I keep three hand grinders ready. One is set for medium fine to use with the pour over maker or Aero Press, one is set for coarse to use for the French press, and a special one is set for ultra fine to make Turkish Coffee.

During our power outage, I happened upon the following passage in Robert Burton's The Anatomy of Melancholy, first published in 1621, and revised several times before Burton's death in 1640. In a chapter on "alteratives and cordials", he approves of moderate wine drinking, and then writes the following:

The Turks have a drink called coffa (for they use no wine) so named of a berry as black as soot, and as bitter (like that black drink which was in use amongst the Lacedæmonians and perhaps the same), which they sip still of, and sup as warm as they can suffer; they spend much time in those coffa-houses, which are somewhat like our alehouses or taverns, and there they sit chatting and drinking to drive away the time, and be merry together, because they find by experience that kind of drink, so used, helpeth digestion and procureth alacrity.

Burton was a scholar at Oxford, but he died too soon to see the first "coffa" house in England, which opened in Oxford in 1652.

https://www.historic-uk.com/CultureUK/English-Coffeehouses-Penny-Universities/https://www.historic-uk.com/CultureUK/English-Coffeehouses-Penny-Universities/

KrazyIvan
August 11th, 2020, 12:30 PM
Anyone try microwaving your beans before grinding?

My wife found an old moka pot while thrifting and it looked unused. It is not your traditional moka pot shape with all the bevels. It has more of a rounded egg shape to it. The rubber gasket looks brand new. It has a larger "basket" than normal so coffee comes out strong, even light roasts not normally known for bold flavor.

She also bought me a Clever Dripper. This is an interesting cross between a pour-over and french press. It looks like a typical pour over but it has a valve that wont open until you place it on a mug. So you set it up like a pour-over but place it on the counter while you pour the water in. Then after the brewing time (like a french press) you place it on your mug and the valve opens, dripping the coffee into your mug. You get the french press brewing without the hassle of the cleanup since it uses Melitta cone filters. You filter the oils and silt that would normally be present in a french press brew. I don't mind those things but in the morning rush, it is easy to clean.

guyy
August 11th, 2020, 01:11 PM
I also like hand grinders. Being a New Yorker who isn’t rich, my kitchen counter space is rather limited. I had an old german hand cranker that i used for everything from turkish to drip. It disappeared in a move, and now i use an expensive modern hand grinder. It’s functional, but lacks the charm of my old one.

FredRydr
August 11th, 2020, 01:56 PM
I’ve never tried a hand grinder. I read that grinding takes forever on the little devices, and when I start the coffee routine first thing in the morning for a 32oz press, I kinda want it DONE!

guyy
August 11th, 2020, 03:08 PM
I’ve been hand-grinding for so long, i don’t mind the time or effort. The grinding is just part of the routine. At any rate, my current grinder is pretty quick. It grinds an espresso shot out in about 20 seconds. Big burrs do the trick. (but it does require some elbow grease)

Kaputnik
August 11th, 2020, 04:26 PM
I make about 16 oz of coffee on a typical morning. For either a French press or pour over maker that means grinding about 30 grams of beans, a figure arrived at by trial and error and what works for me. The coarse grind for the press goes more quickly, of course, for the pour over I sometimes pause for ten seconds or so, but I'm still done in about two and a half minutes even for that.

Before getting the hand grinders, I tried using a Capresso electric burr grinder. As I mentioned, I didn't like the cleanup and the wasted coffee. When I first tried making Turkish coffee, I briefly went back to it, as it would supposedly grind it finely enough for that, not just according to the advertising but according to a couple of online articles on making this kind of coffee. Unfortunately, that turned out not to be the case, at least for the one that I have. I ordered a hand grinder from Turkey, and it does the job. Admittedly, adjusting it for that powdery Turkish grind makes it rather harder to turn, but then, I don't make that much Turkish coffee at one time, so I get by.

I suppose that as I get older, the hand grinders might become too much effort, in which case I suppose I'd get pre-ground Turkish coffee and use an electric for other types. But I'm not there yet.

Tiwi
August 13th, 2020, 12:53 AM
Hi everyone, I just wanted to ask for your recommendations. I think about buying a new grinder an I don't know which one to choose. In the office we have Mueller Ultra-Grinder. I like it, but for me it seems too expensive. Hand grinder might be not that pricey. Here I found a comparison, but if one of you have a grinder from that list (https://www.coffee-statistics.com/best-turkish-coffee-grinder/), please share your opinion with me:)

manoeuver
August 13th, 2020, 05:54 AM
if the hand grinding gets tedious it's easy to use a cordless drill in place of the hand crank (it works on my Hario hand grinder.) Just don't mash the trigger, you have to go slow.

I recommend it often, as I've used mine daily for over 12 years: the Capresso Infinity. I haven't used it to grind for Turkish coffee, I have a commercial Bunn at the shop for that.

Ivan, I really like the clever dripper. I have one at home I use when I want one quick(ish) cup of pourover coffee.

By the way, I just wrote and released a guide to cold brew coffee that turned out really well. I put a link to it in my signature for anybody who's interested.

Wile E Coyote
August 13th, 2020, 06:16 AM
if the hand grinding gets tedious it's easy to use a cordless drill in place of the hand crank (it works on my Hario hand grinder.) Just don't mash the trigger, you have to go slow.

This is exactly what I have been doing. The manual grinder seems to have a better grind consistency and is also capable of a finer grind than my electric grinder. I use a 9/32" nut driver on the Hario which makes the process much easier than putting the grinder shaft directly in the drill chuck.

FredRydr
August 13th, 2020, 06:53 AM
if the hand grinding gets tedious it's easy to use a cordless drill in place of the hand crank....
Are you a DeWalt man, or Milwaukee?

Wile E Coyote
August 13th, 2020, 08:38 AM
if the hand grinding gets tedious it's easy to use a cordless drill in place of the hand crank....
Are you a DeWalt man, or Milwaukee?

Not yellow or red...Teal blue - Makita

Tiwi
August 14th, 2020, 11:09 PM
if the hand grinding gets tedious it's easy to use a cordless drill in place of the hand crank.
Thanks for the advice, I'll try it tonight

Chuck Naill
August 15th, 2020, 06:52 AM
I use an old electric grinder and a 32 oz press. I go with Peets or Starbucks depending on the deal of the week. I prefer coffee oil to filtered.

guyy
August 15th, 2020, 07:11 AM
I used to roast my own, but i no longer have the space to do it. These days i get my coffee from Driftaway in Brooklyn or Nicoletti, also in Brooklyn but closer to me. Back in the days when we travelled to faraway places like Bleeker St., i’d get some from Porto Rico, an old time Greenwich Village place. All of those places do mail order.

Dreck
August 15th, 2020, 07:59 PM
My wife is a New Orleans girl, so I've been sold on CDM coffee and chicory (https://shop.cafedumonde.com/) for the past few decades. If it's done in a french press, the oils can be a bit much for those with more delicate palates. I prefer mine out of a good old-fashioned percolator, or the drip machine in my classroom.
Since I'm a theologian, I prefer my coffee Hamartologically Orthodox: hot as Hell, black as sin, strong as death, and bitter as iniquity.

FredRydr
August 15th, 2020, 09:59 PM
Chicory...that I cannot abide! When I would stay with my brother who lived in the Quarter, he tried to sway me, but I remain unconvinced.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/chicory-coffee-mix-new-orleans-made-own-comes-180949950/

jar
August 16th, 2020, 05:46 AM
I tend to enjoy coffee with chicory but only as an occasional aside from the varietals.

Chrissy
August 20th, 2020, 02:41 AM
I tend to enjoy coffee with chicory but only as an occasional aside from the varietals.
I remember a liquid coffee made with chicory called Camp that I always used to drink when I was younger, but never buy anymore. I suppose it's a good store cupboard ingredient if you need to add liquid coffee flavour to something. :thumb:

guyy
August 20th, 2020, 06:03 AM
How about cardamom in your coffee? I always add it to turkish.

I’m drinking turkish coffee this week because we’re on a camping trip & it’s best for camping.

Kaputnik
August 20th, 2020, 06:09 AM
How about cardamom in your coffee? I always add it to turkish.

I’m drinking turkish coffee this week because we’re on a camping trip & it’s best for camping.

I've tried that when making Turkish coffee. Didn't spoil it, didn't improve it as far as I was concerned.

Some time I'm going to have to try chicory in my coffee and instead of coffee, just out of curiosity. If I hate it, I hate it.

FredRydr
August 20th, 2020, 01:40 PM
The local coffee places offer all sorts of flavored coffees. The only flavor I'm looking for when I want coffee is...coffee.

jar
August 20th, 2020, 02:18 PM
And I want shot, small, medium or large.

CrayonAngelss
August 20th, 2020, 02:44 PM
The local coffee places offer all sorts of flavored coffees. The only flavor I'm looking for when I want coffee is...coffee.

When I was a coffee drinker, I could never do the flavored coffees/creamers. To each their own, but I just wanted regular coffee and half n half.

FredRydr
August 20th, 2020, 03:32 PM
Then there's expresso ice cream from Leo's.

FredRydr
March 5th, 2021, 08:21 AM
The Moka coffee pot (https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/make-coffee-moka-pot) is in trouble! "Get one while you can."

https://assets.atlasobscura.com/article_images/61528/image.jpg

Igraine
March 5th, 2021, 09:39 AM
I had been using Krupps mini expresso machines for several years, would just make myself a big mug of expresso every morning. The first Krupps machine I got lasted a long time, the 2nd and 3rd seemed to be less quality, and stopped working after a year each. I went back to old fashioned stove top percolator coffee - then decided on one of those overpriced Fellow pour over systems. A big, clunky, clumsy thing to use. The very thin glass carafe broke the second day. Since that day, I’ve been using the metal cone filter that came with the Fellow. I just put it in a mason jar, put some coffee in, and pour over that way. Works really good. So now I’m thinking of just buying a simple pour over set, preferably one where I don’t need a paper filter. I could keep using the Fellow filter and mason jar, it works great, bu I’d like something a little more pleasurable to use.

NumberSix
March 5th, 2021, 10:05 AM
Can I share something that will probably get me banned? I like instant coffee.

:dance3:

Historically, I have been a mild coffee snob. Nothing major, but just "not-Folger's". That sort of thing. But then I started watching a terrific youtube channel called SteveMRE1989, where the dude samples military meals as old as WW2 and further back. He is so in love with "Coffee Instant, Type 2". One day, I got curious and bought some Taster's Choice instant packets.

It has its own flavor, to be sure. But I found I liked it. And what's more, I liked the convenience of it. I already had a machine that looks like a tiny coffee maker which will quick-boil a mug's-worth of water. I used it for making tea, but obviously it works just as well for a cuppa instant.

That was maybe two years ago. Instant coffee is now in my regular rotation, so that I only make a full pot half the time instead of daily.

NumberSix
March 5th, 2021, 10:10 AM
Oh, and thanks to the early months of COVID when we were all unsure of grocery availability and ordering in bulk, I started ordering buckets of Maxwell House, Folger's, and Yuban. Those are now my go-to coffee grounds. I like them, and I like the value price of them compared to the Starbucks, Seattle's Best, etc that I used to buy. (though I do have a container of Dunkin Donuts grounds happening right now)

In order of flavor preference, I would probably go:
1. Yuban
2. Maxwell House
3. Folger's

What's next in my fall from snobbery? Am I going to start drinking Coor's Light? (hehe, this is not a joke on you guys - it's a joke on me)

TSherbs
March 5th, 2021, 10:14 AM
Snobbery over coffee is stupid. If you like it, drink it. We drink what we like, and what we can afford. Billions can't afford or have access to coffee at all.

NumberSix
March 5th, 2021, 10:26 AM
Snobbery over coffee is stupid. If you like it, drink it. We drink what we like, and what we can afford. Billions can't afford or have access to coffee at all.

I agree. Drink what you like and can afford.

I just laugh at myself for being a self-described coffee snob and then realizing I actually like the "cheap stuff". No shade meant towards anyone who doesn't agree.

TSherbs
March 5th, 2021, 11:44 AM
And just so we're clear, I buy roasted whole beans from a local roaster whom I consider the best in the area. I grind it only when I brew it, and I prefer it to be less than two weeks from when it was roasted.

But I am 60+ years old and can finally indulge my tastes more. But for 40 years prior I would never have considered buying anything but cheaper stuff in cans. I don't buy cheap beer anymore, either, but I also drink way way less. But I will drink a Bud without complaint. Usually. ;)

AzJon
March 5th, 2021, 01:45 PM
Snobbery may be stupid, yes, but a part of it actually involves a level of social action as well.

While the instant stuff and Yuban may be a person's preferred brew, I can order roasted, whole-bean coffee directly from a roaster that I can talk to whose livelihood is dependent on the coffee. They, in turn, know and can talk directly to the farmer they are getting beans from. The roaster can also often provide (if requested) what they are paying the farmer for their beans. That "snobbery" is also creating jobs (or saving farms) in those regions.

So, yeah, I spend more on coffee than my father or grandfather would ever consider reasonable, but if its spending a few dollars more for my indulgence and someone getting paid a better price for their labor, I'm all for it.

That the roasters take more care to make their coffee is just a secondary benefit.

NumberSix
March 5th, 2021, 03:22 PM
Snobbery may be stupid, yes, but a part of it actually involves a level of social action as well.

While the instant stuff and Yuban may be a person's preferred brew, I can order roasted, whole-bean coffee directly from a roaster that I can talk to whose livelihood is dependent on the coffee. They, in turn, know and can talk directly to the farmer they are getting beans from. The roaster can also often provide (if requested) what they are paying the farmer for their beans. That "snobbery" is also creating jobs (or saving farms) in those regions.

So, yeah, I spend more on coffee than my father or grandfather would ever consider reasonable, but if its spending a few dollars more for my indulgence and someone getting paid a better price for their labor, I'm all for it.

That the roasters take more care to make their coffee is just a secondary benefit.

I was trying to have fun with the "snob" term, even mentioning that I was joking at myself.

But I appreciate your taking the time to demonstrate how much your virtue exceeds mine. I will remember in the future so as not to misunderstand.

AzJon
March 5th, 2021, 04:00 PM
I was trying to have fun with the "snob" term, even mentioning that I was joking at myself.

But I appreciate your taking the time to demonstrate how much your virtue exceeds mine. I will remember in the future so as not to misunderstand.

Wasn't directed at you, but I'm glad to see you are also capable of misinterpreting intent.

NumberSix
March 5th, 2021, 04:29 PM

Wasn't directed at you, but I'm glad to see you are also capable of misinterpreting intent.

You mentioned Yuban and instant coffee, which came from my post. Here's how your comment sounded to me: "It's cute that you (er, people - since it was not aimed at me) like Yuban and instant coffee. But my coffee choice makes the world a better place." You even ended by saying that the quality of the coffee you buy from these sellers is a secondary benefit.

AzJon
March 5th, 2021, 04:53 PM

You mentioned Yuban and instant coffee, which came from my post. Here's how your comment sounded to me: "It's cute that you (er, people - since it was not aimed at me) like Yuban and instant coffee. But my coffee choice makes the world a better place." You even ended by saying that the quality of the coffee you buy from these sellers is a secondary benefit.

My apologies. You seem rather upset about this, so let me assure you that I was not criticizing you, but the coffee industry as a whole. I could have also said Don Francisco's in place of Yuban, but Yuban was what was on the top of my thoughts.

I should also clarify: by "secondary benefit" that is to say that the coffee is cared to as a perk, an added bonus, a byproduct, of a roaster caring more about the supply chain. I would probably not buy a coffee on ethics alone. I apologize for that not being clear.

TSherbs
March 6th, 2021, 05:39 AM
AzJon, you're free to buy whatever coffee you want. I, too, vote with my dollars for some matters of conscience, sometimes. I consider it a privilege to have that option.

"Snobbery" is stupid. We see it from time to time also on threads about Chinese-made fountain pens, ballpoints, and cursive handwriting.

FredRydr
March 6th, 2021, 05:54 AM
..."Snobbery" is stupid. We see it from time to time also on threads about Chinese-made fountain pens, ballpoints, and cursive handwriting.
Uh oh.

TSherbs
March 6th, 2021, 06:13 AM
..."Snobbery" is stupid. We see it from time to time also on threads about Chinese-made fountain pens, ballpoints, and cursive handwriting.
Uh oh.

Ha!

I'm just saying. Keepin' it real, here!

And I am currently quaffing my brew from freshly roasted beans from Papua New Guinea. So, there's that, too....

manoeuver
March 6th, 2021, 06:24 AM
Here's something fun.
My buddy who lives in the Nashville area came to visit a few weeks back and brought me a bourbon barrel.
I've got 15 kilos of a nice El Salvador aging in there, we'll pull it out next month and see what happens...

https://timhofmann.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/2021-01-31-10.50.09-scaled-e1615037054365.jpg

FredRydr
March 6th, 2021, 06:57 AM
Before you roast it? Won't roasting burn off the added flavor? And does this warrant a 6-hour drive for a cup? Or mail order beans!

Sailor Kenshin
March 6th, 2021, 07:03 AM
The Moka coffee pot (https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/make-coffee-moka-pot) is in trouble! "Get one while you can."

We have one! Well, more than one....we've had some variation of these for ages.

TSherbs
March 6th, 2021, 07:21 AM
Manoeuver, how do you then get the beans out?

manoeuver
March 6th, 2021, 07:50 AM
Before you roast it? Won't roasting burn off the added flavor? And does this warrant a 6-hour drive for a cup? Or mail order beans!

I know, right? We'll be doing a couple tasting events where we'll A/B test the aged vs non-aged beans. A/B sacks o' beans will also be available for shipping when the time comes.

Manoeuver, how do you then get the beans out?
to be determined. I think the initial plan will be to remove the bung, lift the barrel, turn it bung-side down and shake. Wish me luck, that sucker is HEAVY.

TSherbs
March 6th, 2021, 11:30 AM
Your chiropractor does not condone that plan!

NumberSix
March 7th, 2021, 10:00 PM
My apologies. You seem rather upset about this, so let me assure you that I was not criticizing you, but the coffee industry as a whole. I could have also said Don Francisco's in place of Yuban, but Yuban was what was on the top of my thoughts.

I should also clarify: by "secondary benefit" that is to say that the coffee is cared to as a perk, an added bonus, a byproduct, of a roaster caring more about the supply chain. I would probably not buy a coffee on ethics alone. I apologize for that not being clear.

Okay, I admit I may have over-reacted. Tone is difficult to read on a forum like this, and my detector seems to have been off-the-mark. My apologies.

guyy
March 8th, 2021, 05:33 AM

I’m using my Bialetti because the switch on my ancient la Pavoni espresso machine needs to be replaced yet again.

Kaputnik
September 27th, 2021, 01:12 PM
I remembered this thread yesterday for reasons I'll get to presently, and thought I'd give it a bump.

My available methods of making coffee at home now include.

A French press (more than one, actually)
An Aero Press.
Three or four pour over setups.
A stovetop percolator which I no longer use.
A Moka Pot, which is my preferred method if I have time to stand there and watch it.
Both a cezve and a Beko electric Turkish coffee maker for Turkish coffee. I generally take the easy way and use the Beko.
An infuser for making cold brew in large mason jars.

And I used to own a drip maker. Long ago I would even get instant coffee. There's a Keurig machine at work, which isn't bad if I bring in my own coffee for it.

So I was interested to learn of still another sort of coffee maker yesterday. I went with some friends to a Vietnamese restaurant, and decided to try their iced coffee. They brought a special kind of pour over maker, like the one you can see on this page.
(https://coppercowcoffee.com/pages/what-is-vietnamese-coffee) It was very slowly making hot coffee, but they also brought a tall cup of ice, and had me pour it into that when it was done.

Best iced coffee I've ever had, and now I'll have to look into Vietnamese coffee blends for hot coffee as well. I don't know how important the brewing method is to the result; but it's something to look into.

The restaurant owner seemed a little bit taken aback that I didn't want sweetened condensed milk in it, and the page I cite above also suggest that this is the best way to do it, but it was really good black.

TSherbs
September 27th, 2021, 03:27 PM
Is there an image missing?

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Kaputnik
September 27th, 2021, 04:07 PM
Is there an image missing?

I didn't include an image, but the highlighted text is a link to the page with the picture I mentioned.

TSherbs
September 27th, 2021, 04:29 PM
on Tapatalk there is no highlighted text, but don't worry about it....

FredRydr
September 27th, 2021, 04:39 PM
A French press (more than one, actually)...
Ditto:

A classic old one with a worn bakelite(?) knob for caffeine,
A vintage one in silver-plate and silver knob from the '50s for decaf (other residents are on notice), and
A double capacity one for those long days.

Lately, Sumatra Mandehling has been my beans of choice. I don't know what they're categorized as, but I like them.

Lloyd
September 27th, 2021, 06:48 PM
While I mostly get my caffeine from yerba mate these days, I use a Bialetti when I want coffee (I grind it but don't roast it). I like it black and alternate between the unfiltered moka pot and filtered. To make filtered, I cut a paper filter to the diameter of the grounds holder and adhere it to the filter plate by dampening it. Then, I assemble the Bialetti and make it the normal way. It removed the thicker oils but leaves the deep flavor.... I'm on the fence about which way I prefer, unfiltered or filtered.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

TSherbs
September 27th, 2021, 07:59 PM
While I mostly get my caffeine from yerba mate these days, I use a Bialetti when I want coffee (I grind it but don't roast it). I like it black and alternate between the unfiltered moka pot and filtered. To make filtered, I cut a paper filter to the diameter of the grounds holder and adhere it to the filter plate by dampening it. Then, I assemble the Bialetti and make it the normal way. It removed the thicker oils but leaves the deep flavor.... I'm on the fence about which way I prefer, unfiltered or filtered.

filtered, all the way for me

guyy
September 27th, 2021, 08:45 PM
Switched to an Elektra MCAL espresso machine during the pandemic. Espresso is my choice nearly all the time. My backup methods are still turkish & moka pot, usually turkish. In fact, since my grinder is under repair, i’m making turkish this week.

Lloyd
September 27th, 2021, 09:27 PM

With the Bialetti, with the paper filter placed on the metal filterplate?

TSherbs
September 28th, 2021, 04:27 AM

With the Bialetti, with the paper filter placed on the metal filterplate?

No, sorry, I just meant that I prefer filtered coffee to remove some of the more bitter oils. I have gone back to pour-overs at home. I just use a cheap steel cone with micro-mesh. Works great. My wife doesn't drink coffee, so there is only me to brew for....

mizgeorge
September 28th, 2021, 05:31 AM
I've become a total coffee heathen. We have every device imaginable for making it, and my husband still generally uses a steel filter for himself, but I now drink almost exclusively instant. Very good instant, but instant nonetheless. I don't enjoy the oiliness of anything else any more*.

I'll still have a shot of espresso if I'm out, but just can't be bothered with anything else.

I am (even with instant) very fussy about where my coffee has been grown, and only really like beans from as far north of the equator, with a huge preference for Latin American and Caribbean varieties. Must be organic too.

* When I'm home in Antigua, we just get Leeward Island grown green coffee, usually from Dominica (NOT the DR), pan roast it and grind it at home. Now that really is delicious...

Radonactionservices
September 28th, 2021, 06:13 AM
I guess I am a vintage person. I like my ancient Bialetti stovetop Moka pot. Sometimes I use sweetened condensed milk instead of creamer.

What’s nice about the Moka pot is that I can use pretty much everything from Folgers in a red bucket to fancy self-ground coffee, and it works great. Aside from changing the filter / seal and cleaning the pressure relief, it is pretty much maintenance free.

One note - keep the coffee grounds out of the threads. The pot really needs a good seal to function right.

And the coffee? Like a fine, smooth, fountain pen ink, maybe even Graf von Faber Castell. Good coffee goes hand in hand with fountain pens and good ink (and maybe a slice of toasted sourdough with butter and raspberry preserves).

Cyril
September 28th, 2021, 06:58 AM
I guess I am a vintage person. I like my ancient Bialetti stovetop Moka pot. Sometimes I use sweetened condensed milk instead of creamer.

What’s nice about the Moka pot is that I can use pretty much everything from Folgers in a red bucket to fancy self-ground coffee, and it works great. Aside from changing the filter / seal and cleaning the pressure relief, it is pretty much maintenance free.

One note - keep the coffee grounds out of the threads. The pot really needs a good seal to function right.

And the coffee? Like a fine, smooth, fountain pen ink, maybe even Graf von Faber Castell. Good coffee goes hand in hand with fountain pens and good ink (and maybe a slice of toasted sourdough with butter and raspberry preserves).

:tea::tea::tea::tea::tea::tea::cool:

I am too a fan of this pot.

I just had my coffee and it is done by a Italian Coffee single /double maker ( ""Bialetti stovetop Moka pot coffee maker" ) with some strong powdered cloves to give extra aroma .

Sailor Kenshin
September 28th, 2021, 07:02 AM
A French press (more than one, actually)...
Ditto:

A classic old one with a worn bakelite(?) knob for caffeine,
A vintage one in silver-plate and silver knob from the '50s for decaf (other residents are on notice), and
A double capacity one for those long days.

Lately, Sumatra Mandehling has been my beans of choice. I don't know what they're categorized as, but I like them.

They used to be my favorite.