PDA

View Full Version : Lunchtime ink review: Montblanc Toffee Brown

Voiren
November 19th, 2018, 01:36 PM
Lunchtime ink reviews! I'm taking one ink to work each day and doing one of these during my lunch.

Montblanc Toffee Brown, dip test with TWSBI Eco 1.1mm stub, on Rhodia dotpad.

I really like this ink - it is smooth to write with and looks good at different sizes (I keep some in a PenBBS fine most of the time). It is a nice warm shade of brown with reddish undertones.

FredRydr
November 19th, 2018, 02:40 PM
MB Toffee is my top choice when I want a vintage look using an EF flex nib on old postcards and stationary.

Voiren
November 19th, 2018, 03:00 PM
I go for Diamine golden brown for similar purposes (but not in EF, I have one specific pen where it shades light to dark and back again). In a drier pen it is a bit light.

azkid
November 20th, 2018, 09:59 AM
If I didn't already have Diamine Macassar I would be all over this. Looks really nice. Thanks for the review!

AzJon
November 20th, 2018, 11:14 AM
Agreed, Fred, with it having a vintage look. I think it works best on cream/ivory colored paper. Reminiscent of walnut ink, to a degree.

migo984
November 21st, 2018, 10:34 AM
I go for Diamine golden brown for similar purposes (but not in EF, I have one specific pen where it shades light to dark and back again). In a drier pen it is a bit light.

I enjoy using Mb Toffee Brown. I do NOT enjoy Diamine Golden Brown, in any pen. It’s so dry it’s like writing with grit :blink:

azkid
November 21st, 2018, 11:34 AM
Good to know! Sounds like my experience with Diamine Twilight. Maybe I should do a review of that crap and warn people off. :D

Misfit
March 4th, 2019, 01:48 AM
I put this ink in two pens, one a Lamy with 1.5mm and the other a Levenger Truewriter with B nib. After writing with both, on the same page, it looked like two different inks. I like the color.

Another great lunchtime review.

FredRydr
March 4th, 2019, 07:14 AM
I put this ink in two pens, one a Lamy with 1.5mm and the other a Levenger Truewriter with B nib. After writing with both, on the same page, it looked like two different inks....
On vintage postcards, the color turns to greyish-brown after it dries, losing its reddish-brown color.

TSherbs
March 4th, 2019, 07:48 AM
How did someone put this ink in a pink pen?? I am way too match for that!

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Voiren
March 4th, 2019, 05:15 PM

Ha, the pen I actually have this in is the PenBBS autumn gradient acrylic :)

TSherbs
March 4th, 2019, 05:27 PM

Ha, the pen I actually have this in is the PenBBS autumn gradient acrylic :)It's all good. :) Enjoy the color spectrum!

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

PhotoJim
March 4th, 2019, 06:10 PM
Nice ink! My browns are Diamine Saddle Brown and Waterman Absolute Brown. I think the latter is closer to this than the former, but I'm not sure I need this ink yet. I'll keep this one in mind for when I deplete one of them.