PDA

View Full Version : Natural Disasters--what 3 pens do you grab?

spotted and speckled
May 20th, 2013, 03:04 PM
Hurricane season is almost upon us here in Florida. Tornadoes, earthquakes, house fires....we are all vulnerable. So, if you had a 2 minute warning to get your family to safety and grab a few pens, which ones would you grab? I know most of us would spend 99% of that 2 minutes getting our families out of the fire or to the storm cellar, but if you had just a few seconds, what 3 pens would you take?

I have all my old black cork piston-fillers on my desk in a designated spot (looks like a square coffee cup)--and I grab and go.

What would you take?

manoeuver
May 20th, 2013, 03:11 PM
This is not a theoretical problem, and if you wait till disaster strikes to grab your pens, you've already lost.

I've got 3 suitable pens on my person at all times. When the oatmeal hits the fan I grab the kid and the wife and that's it.

whatever I leave behind I'll see in hell I guess. I should keep more cash on my person.

Dangit, you've got me all paranoid now.

AndrewW
May 20th, 2013, 03:25 PM
Lamy 2000, Sheaffer Targa, Sheaffer Touchdown Admiral. +1 to that above. I'd probably abandon ship long before natural disaster struck.

All of that said, if I really had to, I would simply grab my violin and abandon everything else, even my pen collection. Pens can be replaced. My beloved instrument, however, cannot. Thankfully, New England doesn't generally get a lot of these.

Annie
May 20th, 2013, 03:26 PM
My red Carene, my burgundy 51 and my red Visconti. Not the most expensive pens but all of them priceless to me as gifts from those I love.

jar
May 20th, 2013, 03:31 PM
Whatever was already in my pocket. The pens will be so far down the list of what to grab as to be insignificant.

Pens are just things. Things can be replaced.

fountainpenkid
May 20th, 2013, 04:07 PM
I wouldn't.

plistumi
May 20th, 2013, 04:43 PM
Alas. A Pelikan, another Pelikan and a Pelikan.

reprieve
May 20th, 2013, 05:33 PM
The three pens that have the most sentimental value:
Nakaya Neo Standard Fox with 9 Tails
Nakaya Long Heki-Tamenuri Ascending Dragon
Danitrio Densho Firefly maki-e

Laura N
May 20th, 2013, 09:53 PM
I wouldn't.

Me either.

spotted and speckled
May 21st, 2013, 06:06 AM
Most of us wouldn't either.

Pensfan
May 21st, 2013, 09:42 AM
About 18 months ago, our house was destroyed by a fire. My daughter came home to find the fire, we got home just as the fire department was getting there. I never once gave a single thought to grabbing something so trivial as a fountain pen. I grabbed my kids and left everything else, even the pets.

It's a fun mental activity to see which pens you truly like... but when it happens for real... pens (new and vintage), violins (even our 1850s french Vuillaume), pets, everything but family members is on it's own.

erpe
May 21st, 2013, 09:51 AM
I'm not sure but I don't think I would stop for a moment to consider which pens I would like to take. In a reflex I might grab my KaWeCO sport together with the current Mole because that is what I always grab when I get up from my desk.
Oh, eh PS, we don't have a lot of hurricanes here but when one strikes, I might grab my camera before the pen :)

fountainpenkid
May 21st, 2013, 02:11 PM
About 18 months ago, our house was destroyed by a fire. My daughter came home to find the fire, we got home just as the fire department was getting there. I never once gave a single thought to grabbing something so trivial as a fountain pen. I grabbed my kids and left everything else, even the pets.

It's a fun mental activity to see which pens you truly like... but when it happens for real... pens (new and vintage), violins (even our 1850s french Vuillaume), pets, everything but family members is on it's own.

I might try to salvage my violin if anything...if there was time...

BikerBabe
May 21st, 2013, 03:24 PM
I'd grab the fabric roll holding my familiy and friends' pens. That's pens that have been given to me by my family and friends, they matter most to me.

ethernautrix
May 21st, 2013, 07:31 PM
I'd grab things so quickly, I'm sure there'll be more than three pens.

I know, I know -- the question isn't about grabbing pens when a natural disaster befalls us, but which three would we least like to lose....

I would have an easier time answering the question if it were about something I could carry only three of, since I can carry a couple dozen pens and still grab all my important papers and computer back-ups and such.

Marsilius
May 21st, 2013, 07:35 PM
First, three kids.
Then, three musical instrument case.
Then, three disaster kit backpacks.
Finally, forty-pen case!
All assuming my place hasn't collapsed into the fault line below be then . . .

fountainpenkid
May 21st, 2013, 07:40 PM
First, three kids.
Then, three musical instrument case.
Then, three disaster kit backpacks.
Finally, forty-pen case!
All assuming my place hasn't collapsed into the fault line below be then . . .

What do you play?

Laura N
May 21st, 2013, 07:55 PM
Ah, okay, divorced from the natural disaster context, where I just wouldn't be focusing on pens, I know the three pens I'd choose if I could only keep three. First, a 1928 Parker Duofold that belonged to my late grandfather. Second, a Danish Parker Duofold from my husband and children. Third, a Montblanc Virginia Woolf that was a gift from my parents.

Apart from those, it would be fun to build up a new collection again.

Marsilius
May 22nd, 2013, 12:51 AM
[QUOTE=Marsilius;30598]

What do you play?

Historical woodwinds: Recorder and Renaissance double reeds. Even geekier than pens.

manoeuver
May 22nd, 2013, 05:41 AM
[QUOTE=Marsilius;30598]

What do you play?

Historical woodwinds: Recorder and Renaissance double reeds. Even geekier than pens.
Whoa.

thinking further on the subject, I'd gladly give up all my pens if it meant I could also get rid of everything else in my house (family excluded.)

youstruckgold
May 22nd, 2013, 06:13 AM
I might cheat: my Omas celluloid paragon set (1box); my Omas Ercolessi, & then it's a toss up between the Gallilleo, the Delta cotta reale or the Pelikan Gaudi. Hopefully I'll never have to choose

Laura N
May 22nd, 2013, 06:49 AM
I might cheat: my Omas celluloid paragon set (1box); my Omas Ercolessi, & then it's a toss up between the Gallilleo, the Delta cotta reale or the Pelikan Gaudi. Hopefully I'll never have to choose

OMG. That's almost worth setting my house on fire for. :)

kaisnowbird
May 22nd, 2013, 07:21 AM
I actually thought about this and that's why nearly all my pens are kept in a box on wheels, which I could throw out of the window in case of a fire, kick it and let it roll before me so I have my hands free for other stuff, and it's small enough to be carried in one hand. There are so many things of great sentimental value in the house that we'll probably never be able to rescue in an emergency evacuation, and carrying a few dozen fountain pens around the aftermath of a natural disaster would be plainly stupid. Still, I would want to salvage something if disaster strikes.

If I have to choose three fountain pens to keep, they might be:
1. Caran d'Ache Leman Turqoise (F) - it's just so beautiful and flawless
2. Lamy 2000 (Pendleton Point Medium) - this is my perfect workhorse
3. Pilot Vanishing Point Deep Yellow (Mottishaw Cursive Italic Broad) - probably the most convenient fountain pen EVER.

And to cheat a little - I must above all else take my late grandfather's Parker 51 Pencil in Nassau Green. It's a pencil, so doesn't count among the three. :p

kaisnowbird
May 22nd, 2013, 07:45 AM

Hi Pensfan, I'm so sorry about your pets...

Marsilius
May 22nd, 2013, 08:03 AM
[QUOTE=Marsilius;30598]

What do you play?

Whoa.

thinking further on the subject, I'd gladly give up all my pens if it meant I could also get rid of everything else in my house (family excluded.)

A frequent impulse, indeed. I periodically try to throw everything away, and never succeed.

fountainpenkid
May 22nd, 2013, 04:22 PM
[QUOTE=Marsilius;30598]

What do you play?

cool. I've always found baroque woodwinds to be intriguing. My dad plays the quena and quenacha, if you know what those are.

caleath
May 22nd, 2013, 04:33 PM
None of them...they are just pens. I can get more. Speaking as someone who has lost all they own once. House fire.

Pensfan
May 23rd, 2013, 06:53 AM
It actually was and still is very liberating. It really puts everything into the proper perspective. We had a LOT of junk that we wouldn't have gotten rid of any other way haha

None of them...they are just pens. I can get more. Speaking as someone who has lost all they own once. House fire.
Yep, been there with you brother. :)

Marsilius
May 23rd, 2013, 12:15 PM
[QUOTE=Marsilius;30598]

What do you play?

cool. I've always found baroque woodwinds to be intriguing. My dad plays the quena and quenacha, if you know what those are.

"I'd rather be a hammer than a nail . . . " yep, cool, too.

KrazyIvan
May 24th, 2013, 12:08 PM
Assuming my bag is with me, and it usually is, I will have at least 12 pens with me. Which pens those would be? It changes so I can't say.

Tracy Lee
May 24th, 2013, 01:02 PM
Assuming my bag is with me, and it usually is, I will have at least 12 pens with me. Which pens those would be? It changes so I can't say.

Exactly what he said.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

79spitfire
May 25th, 2013, 11:07 AM
Most of my 'valuable' pens are in boxes, so they would be easy to grab anyway...

Pingo5
May 25th, 2013, 11:26 AM
Whatever was already in my pocket. The pens will be so far down the list of what to grab as to be insignificant.

Pens are just things. Things can be replaced.
because that nice custom pen you love so much is easy to replace. they can be replaced, but the chance of getting that expensive custom pen again are low. unless you somehow have enough money for it after your house got destroyed.
sorry, that came out rude. didnt mean it to :3

Pingo5
May 25th, 2013, 11:28 AM
wrap them up as fast as you can and gun it!
but seriously, i only have like 3 pens. so i guess i will take them.

blopplop
May 25th, 2013, 01:40 PM
My two Pilot 823's and one of my P-51's.

Pendragon
May 25th, 2013, 06:04 PM
Hurricane season is almost upon us here in Florida. Tornadoes, earthquakes, house fires....we are all vulnerable. So, if you had a 2 minute warning to get your family to safety and grab a few pens, which ones would you grab? I know most of us would spend 99% of that 2 minutes getting our families out of the fire or to the storm cellar, but if you had just a few seconds, what 3 pens would you take?

If my family's safety was at stake due to disaster, I would spend 100% of my time getting them to safety. Forget the pens, they are completely irrelevant by comparison.

Pingo5
May 25th, 2013, 06:21 PM

If my family's safety was at stake due to disaster, I would spend 100% of my time getting them to safety. Forget the pens, they are completely irrelevant by comparison.

i think he was mentioning if you had time to grab them. like if your family was safe and stuffs. cmon! tell us!

AndyT
May 26th, 2013, 07:34 AM
I'll interpret this as which three I'd keep if the rest had to go - in the event of a disaster family and cameras come first, naturally.

The Ty-Phoo Tea pen. A fairly uncommon mottled hard rubber lever filler of no great value but with bags of character.
Waterman Champion 501. Quite an ordinary pen with an extraordinary nib.
A Swan Self-filler. Not sure which though, maybe the green marbled semi-flex.

AtomicLeo
May 26th, 2013, 08:25 AM
Almost two years ago, we were under the threat of evacuation due to a forrest fire. Sooooooo, I've had to make this decision. I picked my MB 146 and black Parker 51. Didn't have room for a third. I also took videos of my pens left behind for insurance purposes. :-(

peterpen53
May 26th, 2013, 08:34 AM
I can't help wondering what you all would do with these fountain pens in a situation (assuming a real natural disaster) where you probably could not get any ink or paper anyway. If anything, I would hope I have my MB or Parker ballpoint on me. The refills go on forever, they can write on virtually anything and even upside down.

Pendragon
May 26th, 2013, 04:56 PM

i think he was mentioning if you had time to grab them. like if your family was safe and stuffs. cmon! tell us!

Then that reduces the question to "what are your three favorite pens". For me, these are:

Pelikan M215
Parker P51
A small Arnold pen

I would take the Pelikan because it is the first fountain pen I ever owned and the one I use the most. The Parker and Arnold I would take because they were given to me as gifts.

Pingo5
May 26th, 2013, 05:59 PM

Then that reduces the question to "what are your three favorite pens". For me, these are:

Pelikan M215
Parker P51
A small Arnold pen

I would take the Pelikan because it is the first fountain pen I ever owned and the one I use the most. The Parker and Arnold I would take because they were given to me as gifts.
well, sort of. i would say, say my favorite pen is a safari, but i have a studio. i would probably take the studio even if it was'nt my fav.

fountainpenkid
May 26th, 2013, 06:28 PM
I think it is a tricky balance for some between sentimental value and collectable value.

Pingo5
May 26th, 2013, 06:54 PM
I think it is a tricky balance for some between sentimental value and collectable value.

yes... take the $50 worth gifted pen or the $120 worth bought pen :3

Marsilius
May 27th, 2013, 09:56 AM

Just pop everything into your new desk, Pingo, and toss that in the car!

Pingo5
May 27th, 2013, 12:37 PM

Just pop everything into your new desk, Pingo, and toss that in the car!
Yes, I can do that for sure lol

snedwos
May 27th, 2013, 01:02 PM
I keep all my pens in the same wrap, so stopping to pick out three would be dicing with death!

But it would have to be my 3 vintages. The others are still rolling off production lines somewhere, or really really crap (so good riddance!).

With the vintage pens I feel a sense of duty to all their previous owners. I am their current custodian.

The cat's not allowed in the house anyway, so she can be left to her own devices. She'll be OK.

dobemom
May 28th, 2013, 09:25 AM
On my way out come whatever articles are on my person, the dogs, and the birds - both of whom were given to me by someone I work with who lost their home in a massive fire. One of the birds tried so hard to get out of his cage he snapped his beak in the process and it's never grown back. No creature should have to live through two disasters in one lifetime.

I know which pens I'd miss the most, but I'd have to make do with whichever were in my pocket at the time. In a bit of irony, I do tend to carry three.

ethernautrix
May 28th, 2013, 04:51 PM
One pen I will always want to keep: Nakaya unpolished shu Piccolo Cigar with a ruthenium-plated F nib.

So, there's one.

Progress!

Now, how to choose two from the rest. Oi.

WendyNC
May 28th, 2013, 07:55 PM
Nope,it has to be at least four. Divina Desert Springs, Palazzo Ducale di Sassuolo, one of the OMDs and one of the Wall Streets. But which OMD and which Wall Street? This game always makes my head hurt. It's probably a good thing that I'd be too busy rounding up animals to have a chance to deal with the pens.

john
June 11th, 2013, 07:49 PM
If I am facing the natural disaster, I don't need pens. I must grab a big fix blade and a folder for surviving.

Heliotrope
June 11th, 2013, 09:50 PM
I would have an easier time answering the question if it were about something I could carry only three of, since I can carry a couple dozen pens and still grab all my important papers and computer back-ups and such.

I had a similar thought. I rarely go anywhere without at least half a dozen pens in my Penvelope. It would just be a matter of grabbing my satchel, which contains my mobile life and goes with me just about everywhere. In a true emergency, I probably wouldn't think of my pens so much, but I would instinctively grab my family and my satchel before clearing out.

chaimann
June 23rd, 2013, 09:19 AM
Whatever is in my purse. A typical assortment would be a Preppy full of HOD or Lex Gray, a TWSBI 540 with a "serious" ink, and a Lamy Safari with a "fun" ink.

If there is an advantage to being, shall we say, thrifty about my pen purchases, it is that nothing I have is irreplaceable.

ethernautrix
June 23rd, 2013, 04:37 PM
I keep duplicates and spares of my pens in safe houses around the world, so whenever a disaster hits, I can walk away.

(Not really, but, hey, what a plan!)

inkstainedruth
December 26th, 2013, 03:38 PM
I keep duplicates and spares of my pens in safe houses around the world, so whenever a disaster hits, I can walk away.

(Not really, but, hey, what a plan!)

:pound:
Hmm. Wow. Sorry for resurrecting the thread, but with FPN down I need to get my FP community fix somehow!
Well, now, back on topic. I would say:
(1) Plum Parker 51 Demi. My baby. M nib, perfect size, perfect writer. I'll never see another one for as good a deal as I got, probably. No brainer. If it could only *one* pen, that'd be the one....
(2) medium (?) blue Parker Vector (sentimental favorite -- it was my first "good" pen after a couple of cheapie Parker cartridge pens (the ones with the rubber sections that disintegrated after awhile). It's got a firehose of an F, and it never fails to work, no matter the (inadvertent) abuse tossed its way the last couple of years, including sitting in the bottom of my husband's car in 20 degree temps for a week.
(3) Ooh. Third is a toughie. It's a toss-up between the Methuselah's Pine Cone Ripple ebonite Konrad and the Silver Pearl Parker Vacumatic. Both are great writers. Maybe a slight edge to the Vac, since it's vintage, but only by a whisker... because there'd be a better possibility of replacing the Konrad.
I'd be sad about the Esterbrooks, and the other 51s, and the Craig BHR pen with the music nib (which still needs to be resacced; and really sad about the Morrison ringtop with the gold filled filigree overlay (nice juicy M or B nib, and it's a pretty pen to boot). Maybe even the Snorkels. But they all would lose out to those top 3/4.
Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

ac12
December 28th, 2013, 11:52 AM
My mothers fountain pens (sentimental reasons)
Waterman, from my wife.
And my Parker 180.

brewsky
December 28th, 2013, 09:10 PM
Pelikan m101n lizard
Acme artist series from my mom as a graduation gift (first fountain pen)
Pilot vanishing point in gunmetal from the gf.

Penne Stilografiche
December 28th, 2013, 09:50 PM
Sheesh, only 3.... I would just throw everything in a briefcase and run.

kaisnowbird
December 28th, 2013, 10:53 PM
Sheesh, only 3.... I would just throw everything in a brief case and run.

Ah, you beat me to it. I keep all my pens in a box with wheels exactly for this kind of purposes.

Runnin_Ute
December 28th, 2013, 11:31 PM
I only have 9 anyway... and if the {natural disaster} occurred after having packed the bag for the day- I would likely have them all. I usually have 2-3 in my shirt pocket anyway. Usually my Pelikans (120/M205) and my True Writer Silver Anniversary. That would give me an EF, F and M .....just with those three.

Waski_the_Squirrel
December 29th, 2013, 12:32 AM
I'll respond to the spirit of the question rather than the reality. (The reality is that most of them are with me in a case.)

Pilot Custom 823 - I absolutely love this pen. It is a great writer and the most expensive pen I own.

Edison Collier in Persimmon Swirl - I have an emotional attachment to this pen because I bought it as a reward for finishing writing my first decent novel. It's also pretty and writes well (if I keep its limitations in mind).

Noodler's Konrad in Sahara Ripple Ebonite - I just love this pen. I know I could buy another one, but it is wonderfully flexy, flexible (in a sense beyond line width), attractive, and just a generally decent pen.

VertOlive
January 12th, 2014, 10:32 PM
The .gov pamphlet recommends a month's supply of necessities for those sheltering in place after a natural disaster.

How much ink and paper is that?

Pelikan-Vera
January 13th, 2014, 05:07 AM
I guess you can't eat the ink.....

pengeezer
January 13th, 2014, 06:36 AM
In the spirit of the question,I have a pen case with most of my pens
in it. And underneath that is my plastic case with all my inks in it.
So all I have to do is grab and run.

John

RuiFromUK
January 13th, 2014, 07:53 AM
Montblanc 2006 platinum Starwalker with a medium nib
Pelikan Green M800 (when it comes from repairs) with a OBBB nib, otherwise Pelikan M200 with a M400 OBB nib
Pelikan Green 400 NN with a EF nib

ethernautrix
January 13th, 2014, 09:54 AM
Yeah, for me it would be, "Which three pen cases would you grab...?" and then I'd say, "Well, they're all in my shoulder bag/backpack/purse with my wallet, journal, and so on, so all I'd have to do is grab the bag...."

And say good-bye to all those notebooks.