PDA

View Full Version : I've Been Mixing IG Inks: ESSRI+G10+Green+Sepia

SchaumburgSwan
November 25th, 2018, 07:14 PM
Hi,

some of my favorite inks are iron gall. So I took some of these to see what happens when I mix them. :-)

The inks:
ESSRI, blue-black IG
Gutenberg G10 Urkundentinte "Schwarz" black IG
Platinum Classic Forest Black, green IG
Platinum Classic Sepia Black, brown IG

1. I wanted to make Forest Black darker and less yellowish:
My favorite: 75% Forest / 25% ESSRI (darker but not a cold green)

2.: Forest Black mixed with G10:
Favorite: 67% Forest / 33% G10 (a "Moddergrün" = murky gray green)

3.: Forest Black with G10 and ESSRI:
Favorite: 40% Forest / 40% G10 / 20% ESSRI (subtle gray-green)

4.: G10 mixed with ESSRI to remove the aubergine tint:
Favorite: 75% G10 / 25% ESSRI

5.: Sepia Black and ESSRI:
Favorite: 50% Sepia Black / 50% ESSRI (nice dark gray-black)

Nib used: Swan B-stub; paper: Clairefontaine 90g/m3
Photos were taken 10 days after writing.
No mixture developed a sediment in these ten days.

Best
Jens

grainweevil
November 26th, 2018, 03:10 AM
Interesting results, Jens. While I've mixed an IG with another ink, somehow never got round to mixing two IGs together. Another thing to put on the One Day list. Thanks! :)

SchaumburgSwan
November 26th, 2018, 04:47 AM
Interesting results, Jens. While I've mixed an IG with another ink, somehow never got round to mixing two IGs together. Another thing to put on the One Day list. Thanks! :)

Thank You,

well, it seems as long you don't mix IG with non-IG inks there is a chance to get a stable result.
I'll keep the mixes for the next months...

Best
Jens

ilikenails
December 22nd, 2018, 05:10 AM

Thank You,

well, it seems as long you don't mix IG with non-IG inks there is a chance to get a stable result.

Best
Jens

That makes sense all round. Well done and thanks for sharing!

Btw, if you want an alternative to IG inks then Koh I Noor black document ink is supposed to be a monster of permanence - the other 3 colours less so. It's fountain pen safe and passes the very tough British standard for archival ink. I've thought of getting some and seeing how it blends with eg Skrip Red myself.

Chrissy
December 22nd, 2018, 07:46 AM
I like some of your results despite the fact that I don't use IG inks myself. :)

SchaumburgSwan
December 22nd, 2018, 07:01 PM

Thank You,

Best
Jens

That makes sense all round. Well done and thanks for sharing!

Btw, if you want an alternative to IG inks then Koh I Noor black document ink is supposed to be a monster of permanence - the other 3 colours less so. It's fountain pen safe and passes the very tough British standard for archival ink. I've thought of getting some and seeing how it blends with eg Skrip Red myself.

Hi,

thank you. :-)
Here it's not mainly about permanence, I simply like the look of IG inks.
Some De Atramentis pigmented archival and document inks are at hands anyway... ;-)

Best
Jens

SchaumburgSwan
December 22nd, 2018, 07:08 PM
I like some of your results despite the fact that I don't use IG inks myself. :)

Dear Chrissy,

thank You, which do You prefer?

Me and my english Swan pens like IG ink, it seems... ;-)

Sure, I respect the decision not to use IG inks, I don't put them in my modern (post 1979) pens with ink windows,
especially "hard core" IGs like ESSRI, Diamine Registrar's or Gutenberg G10...

Have a nice day
Jens

Chrissy
December 23rd, 2018, 01:51 AM

Dear Chrissy,

thank You, which do You prefer?

Me and my english Swan pens like IG ink, it seems... ;-)

Sure, I respect the decision not to use IG inks, I don't put them in my modern (post 1979) pens with ink windows,
especially "hard core" IGs like ESSRI, Diamine Registrar's or Gutenberg G10...

Have a nice day
Jens
Of those in your pictures I liked the look of the green ones best. I don't have any vintage pens with sacs that would ever have been made around the time that IG inks were first introduced, so I never use either. An expert ink maker has advised me that IG inks would be safe to use in my modern pens as long as I cleaned them out every two or three days. Since I choose to not follow that regime, I also choose to not use inks that contain IG. There are plenty of inks around to use in my modern pens, so I have enough alternatives. :)
Soon I will be reviewing one of your "hard core" IG inks. I'm not yet sure which pen I might use for that. :)