PDA

View Full Version : Which font/style is this?

burf
December 6th, 2018, 12:58 AM
Hi,

I want to know which calligraphic font is this and where I can get information about strokes to create the characters...

Thank you

Jon Szanto
December 6th, 2018, 01:04 AM
I'm not certain that what is pictured is, or is not, a specific thing. However, note that fonts are used in computer word processing and printing typography, and what is done by hand, with ink and pen is referred to as a script. If you do more discussion and searching, referring to the script in the image will be helpful. It is a playful variation on italic scripts, but whether it is some person's personal style or a regularly copied one, I don't really know.

Pterodactylus
December 6th, 2018, 11:02 AM
A calligrapher once also corrected me when I said “font”, he said they are talking about Alphabets not fonts.

aquafox
December 6th, 2018, 11:29 AM
Looks vaguely like a chancery script, albeit with no slant, written with a very broad stub

calamus
December 6th, 2018, 11:14 PM
That particular calligraphic hand may not have a name. There is a font very similar to it called Legend that was designed by Ernst Schneidler, and some calligraphers have developed hands patterned after it. It has a sort of Near Eastern flavor. The calligraphic hand you're asking about seems very close to it, particularly some of the minuscules. Some of them, though, like the a, are closer to Carolingian, which is a hand (or script) and not a font, although I imagine there must be fonts based on it. It was used in France around the time of Charlemagne.

If you want to learn how to form those letters, or at least letters very similar to them, there's a wonderful book called Written Letters: 33 Alphabets for Calligraphers by Jacqueline Svaren that breaks down each letter stroke by stroke. The copy I have I bought new back in 1990 or thereabouts (it's copyright 1986). I don't believe it's in print any longer, but affordable used copies can be found. Try the usual suspects -- abebooks.com, alibris.com, amazon.com, etc. There are a few NOS copies floating around, but the ones I found doing a quick search were pretty expensive.

burf
December 7th, 2018, 12:01 AM
I'm not certain that what is pictured is, or is not, a specific thing. However, note that fonts are used in computer word processing and printing typography, and what is done by hand, with ink and pen is referred to as a script. If you do more discussion and searching, referring to the script in the image will be helpful. It is a playful variation on italic scripts, but whether it is some person's personal style or a regularly copied one, I don't really know.

I will try to remember that...

burf
December 7th, 2018, 12:02 AM
A calligrapher once also corrected me when I said “font”, he said they are talking about Alphabets not fonts.

it depends on the frame of mind you are in, how you take it - as an undue criticism or a free and helpful advice.

burf
December 7th, 2018, 12:04 AM
Looks vaguely like a chancery script, albeit with no slant, written with a very broad stub

that gives me new terms to research to even reach the point I am already at :haha:

burf
December 7th, 2018, 12:11 AM
That particular calligraphic hand may not have a name. There is a font very similar to it called Legend that was designed by Ernst Schneidler, and some calligraphers have developed hands patterned after it. It has a sort of Near Eastern flavor. The calligraphic hand you're asking about seems very close to it, particularly some of the minuscules. Some of them, though, like the a, are closer to Carolingian, which is a hand (or script) and not a font, although I imagine there must be fonts based on it. It was used in France around the time of Charlemagne.

If you want to learn how to form those letters, or at least letters very similar to them, there's a wonderful book called Written Letters: 33 Alphabets for Calligraphers by Jacqueline Svaren that breaks down each letter stroke by stroke. The copy I have I bought new back in 1990 or thereabouts (it's copyright 1986). I don't believe it's in print any longer, but affordable used copies can be found. Try the usual suspects -- abebooks.com, alibris.com, amazon.com, etc. There are a few NOS copies floating around, but the ones I found doing a quick search were pretty expensive.

Legend and Carolingian - they both were helpful.

I found this

https://www.deviantart.com/saivaraks/art/Carolingian-Alphabet-207924731
It you could forward me a picture such as this, which is even closer, it would be wonderful.

and this

http://www.identifont.com/show?K08

Though none of them are exact matches but they are valuable pieces of information nonetheless. Thank you!

calamus
December 7th, 2018, 12:22 PM
I found this

https://www.deviantart.com/saivaraks/art/Carolingian-Alphabet-207924731
It you could forward me a picture such as this, which is even closer, it would be wonderful.

and this

http://www.identifont.com/show?K08

Though none of them are exact matches but they are valuable pieces of information nonetheless. Thank you!

PM sent.

An old bloke
October 6th, 2020, 04:31 PM
Having had my usage of 'font' corrected previously, I believe (a guess) the illustrated 'script' is a variation of an Italic form.

Nomlenom
November 10th, 2020, 11:30 AM
Although not very well done, it is certainly the Brush Scriptorium originally made by American calligrapher Arthur Baker.
I upload an image of this calligraphy made by me with a Pilot Parallel Pen.

http://www.avancecreativo.com/ext_foroestilograficas/IMG_3216.jpg

Cyril
June 29th, 2021, 02:48 PM
Hi,

I want to know which calligraphic font is this and where I can get information about strokes to create the characters...

Thank you

Basically FONT = SCRIPTs.
There's no " fonts " in calligrapher's Manuel but there are "scripts" in their manuals. :)
When you practice calligraphy "you practice scripts and not fonts " It is a century old art of lettering and penmanship.
We call it calligraphy = (from kallos beauty) + -graphia -graphy

An old bloke
June 29th, 2021, 03:03 PM
Hi,

Thank you

Basically FONT = SCRIPTs.
There's no " fonts " in calligrapher's Manuel but there are "scripts" in their manuals. :)
When you practice calligraphy "you practice scripts and not fonts " It is a century old art of lettering and penmanship.
We call it calligraphy = (from kallos beauty) + -graphia -graphy

I was duly chastised about that very point some years ago on this very forum.