PDA

View Full Version : Best way to remove nib grade sticker from a vintage Pelikan 400NN?

Ahriman4891
December 6th, 2018, 02:45 PM
Dear Pelikan experts,

I recently purchased a well-preserved Tortoise Brown 400NN, which has about half of the original nib grade sticker still on the barrel. What is the best way to remove it without damaging the celluloid? A quick Google search did not return anything except naphta (lighter fluid), wondering if there is anything else... Thanks!

piscov
December 6th, 2018, 03:54 PM
Use only water. It is enough. Then use a cloth to scrape the remainings that still resist.

Ahriman4891
December 6th, 2018, 03:56 PM
Thank you! Glad to hear that only water will be enough. I'll do it and report results.

piscov
December 6th, 2018, 04:03 PM
👍 Wet it and use your fingernails to take it off. The nail will not scratch it. Then wet it again and use a cloth to clean any glue remainings that may still be there if needed.

KrazyIvan
December 7th, 2018, 08:54 PM
Here is a quote from Ron Zorn. I also use lighter fluid. We used it in the optical industry to remove sticker residue from many delicate surfaces.

Alcohol can and will damage some plastics like celluloid. I have had Goo Gone damage some materials. Some of the "safe" orange cleaners can in fact melt some plastics or damage finishes.

In 20 years of pen work however, I have never had lighter fluid, which is naphtha, damage a pen.... at all, ever. Yes, I do still have some pens on which it was used 20 years ago. It works, and is used by many other pen repairers as well.

Baby oil is mineral oil, and quite thick. The advantage to naphtha is that it is very light, and evaporates very quickly.

Eddie Southgate
December 10th, 2018, 04:11 PM
Don't use lighter fluid . Use WD40 or any non petroleum oil . Dab it on , let it soak and rub the gum off with a cloth soaked in whichever you use after the sticker turns loose .