PDA

View Full Version : Antique Store Find!

Frank
May 21st, 2013, 01:12 PM
Over the weekend, I purchased a QUART BOTTLE of Carter's Blue-Black Ink at a local Antique Store!
The bottle looks 100% full, and has the original box! The ink looks like it was bottled yesterday- no sedimentation at all! ;)
I have already tried some of it- Looks greenish-blue, but faded. I recall thinking the same of the Sheaffer Quink BB that I purchased a year or two back as well! Holding on to it for now- Just goes to show that vintage ink was not as "vibrant" as modern inks! More info/pics to come!

Frank

jbb
May 21st, 2013, 01:24 PM
Nice acquistion! I've found that some of the vintage inks I have look faded to me too. My Quink black was quite purple.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7045/6961637112_149fc59551.jpg

KrazyIvan
May 21st, 2013, 01:59 PM
Nice! Greenish blue can be good. :D

woosang
May 22nd, 2013, 05:06 AM
Greenish blue sounds lovely

Frank
May 22nd, 2013, 09:18 AM
Thanks- It is lovely! Just wish it was darker!

I am experimenting with a a bit in a sample bottle.
Trying to see how it behaves with Sheaffer Black.

ardgedee
May 22nd, 2013, 10:46 AM
Post photos!

My wife has a 25-ish year old bottle of Pelikan 4001 blue-black that's faded to a nice grey that looks purplish on some paper and brownish on others. But yes, like you say, it's not as dark as I would like.

drgoretex
May 22nd, 2013, 01:48 PM
Cool! Would love to see some pics of this ink!

Depending on the ink, I don't necessarily mind a 'faded' colour. Sometimes can have a cool effect.

Ken

Frank
June 7th, 2013, 04:14 PM

Sorry I was so late with these pics!
This is the quart size bottle of Carters BB Ink I got!

I am considering the idea of selling samples of this ink.
I could buy empty sample vials similar to those sold by Goulet/isellpens.
Give me your feedback on this, so I can determine if this is feasible!

Thanks!!
Regards,
Frank

Frank
June 7th, 2013, 04:33 PM
Ink Samples- (Using 9314-F nib in Estie Dipless Pen)

Frank
June 11th, 2013, 08:19 AM
I am happy to add that the ink does look better (darker) after it has dried a day or two!
The ink also behaves when mixed with both Sheaffer Black, and Parker Black!

I'll keep you posted!

;)

Frank
August 29th, 2013, 10:00 PM
I am happy to add that the ink does look better (darker) after it has dried a day or two!
The ink also behaves when mixed with both Sheaffer Black, and Parker Black!

I'll keep you posted!

;)

After a couple of months with this ink, I am happy to report that I DO love it!
What I realized is that this ink is more of a grey, than a dark blue! Once I worked with it in that regard, I realized that it's great!

I do like grey, and this color is more like Lexington Grey, and Diamine Graphite. It dries a greenish-grey hue, that does look better after it dries a bit longer!

Frank

yipe
September 8th, 2013, 03:56 AM
Even if it looks like there's no sedimentation, I assume you've given the bottle a good shake?

Frank
September 9th, 2013, 01:28 PM
Sure, but thanks for your input. It seems that vintage inks are not as "vibrant" as modern types. I also had a good bottle of Sheaffer's BB not too long ago that also turned out to be very light in color. This was the standard, small bottle, with the inset "tip dip" lip- I'm sure there is a term for this, but it escapes me now!
I have two of these bottles that I keep my "Mixed Inks" in!

:-)