PDA

View Full Version : New Year pen (and paraphernalia) wish list - What's yours!

Empty_of_Clouds
December 12th, 2018, 04:11 AM
Okay, end of the year approaches, and there's a whole new and shiny year just ahead. Has anyone else prepared a wish list for 2019?

Here is my shortlist of vintage unobtaniums, apologies for slightly blurry photo and writing (suck a bit at both).
https://i.imgur.com/9zy0fXHl.jpg

In more detail - 'cause the Devil's in them, amirite?

Parker 51 - really liked the double jewel version, though cost is usually prohibitive, but only with one style of cap (the fancy banded version). Had one, sold it, such is life. Failing that, I really like the deep midnight blue and gold cap combination. The main problem for me with 51s is sheer range of prices. The pens are often bulletproof, so guarantees and the like are not really a selling point (to me). However, what is a decent price? I have no real ground for reference.

Eversharp Skyline - I've actually had 3 of these (sold one, gifted two), and really loved the design. Always felt it was a fragile pen, but if that was the case they wouldn't have survived this long I guess. The version I prefer is black bodied with the green striped cap. It's lush!

Sheaffer's Crest - have never seen one in the flesh. The version with the uneven length lines on the cap is very appealing. No lever fillers, just the plunger type. No idea how to find or assess one. Similar to 51s, no idea on what is a reasonable price.

Parker Duofold - everyone should have a "big red". Frankly I would be happy with red, black or the burgundy mottled type. Had one, sold it in a moment of utter stupidity. Prices are all over the place and seem to have some connection with the size of the imprints (among other things).

Waterman's 94 - had a superb example in steel quartz (from Rick Krantz). Again, sold it for a reason that eludes...well, reason! Not looking for any flex, just really liked the design (on later reflection). Haven't seen a decent example since.

Well there you have it. It is highly debatable whether any of these are seriously acquirable, but you never know. If anyone wants to help with one or two of these next year (yeah, a tremendously long shot I know) I would appreciate it.

On the paraphernalia side I have a bit of a hankering for a Nagasawa leather pen case. Perhaps I should ask Santa for that one. :)

Deb
December 12th, 2018, 06:34 AM
I would almost echo your desire for a Big Red - an estimable pen, but the one pen I would like to get in the coming year is a Mabie Todd Swan SF230 in mottled hard rubber, though I would settle for black hard rubber if it had a fine point. I've had a few in the past but I have always sold them. It's what I do after all but this time I want to get one for myself.

Sailor Kenshin
December 12th, 2018, 09:00 AM
Short wish list:
Handwriting like yours.

azkid
December 12th, 2018, 03:15 PM
A good stretch of time off work.

Also ditto on the handwriting [emoji16]

Empty_of_Clouds
December 12th, 2018, 08:42 PM
Thanks for compliments on the handwriting. It's definitely improving, but still a-ways to go. :)

Regarding my vintage pen wish list, I don't expect really to get all of these. One or two would be an achievement!

Currently working on what will likely be an even shorter modern pen wish list. Much to think about there.

Kulprit
December 12th, 2018, 08:57 PM
My wish for 2019 is that I buy no more pens. Indeed, I’d love it if I could halve the number of pens I currently own.

Unfortunately, I highly doubt I’ll succeed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VertOlive
December 12th, 2018, 09:05 PM
Pie In The Sky: Sailor Black Velvet

catbert
December 12th, 2018, 11:46 PM
Regarding my vintage pen wish list, I don't expect really to get all of these. One or two would be an achievement!

Currently working on what will likely be an even shorter modern pen wish list. Much to think about there.

Seems not entirely impossible that you might find some of them, considering you’ve had four of the five before. Lightning could strike twice. Here’s hoping. :)

After an extended Italian and German vintage kick, the top of my perennial wish list leans modern at present. I expect it will continue that way into 2019. If I can pull together the funds — aged mobile phone just died, which doesn’t help — perhaps a Sailor 1911 large (but which nib?) and a Pilot Custom 823 with an FA nib. Was impressed with both at the Pelikan hub. Also interested in the Karas Vertex and Conid Minimalistica. Realistically not going to be able to swing all of these.

penwash
December 13th, 2018, 09:16 AM
My personal wishlist seems to stay consistent from the past years.
I'd like a pen that is unique, makes me smile when I write with it, and preferably one that I nurse back to life myself.

Two pens stood out in 2018. One is a Belmont with an original nib that rivals a dip nib in flexibility.
The other one is a Montblanc 344G that I bought from Vasco.

And of course, continue to spread the joy by selling the pens I restored and collect the writing samples from happy buyers :)

Empty_of_Clouds
December 14th, 2018, 08:35 PM
Alas that we will not be seeing the pens you restored now that Pen Agora is shutdown. I used to look there regularly, really enjoyed the format, but never quite had the courage to buy pens that I personally knew nothing about.

junglejim
December 14th, 2018, 11:43 PM
Alas that we will not be seeing the pens you restored now that Pen Agora is shutdown. I used to look there regularly, really enjoyed the format, but never quite had the courage to buy pens that I personally knew nothing about.

+1. I also enjoyed seeing all of the interesting restored pens and sketches that you put up, Will. I still use the frankenpen with the xxf nib you put together (although it's regulated to making out the daily grocery list and jotting down the occasional phone number) and it works very well with crappy recycled paper and Perle Noire.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BcnUKmtBSBz/

All the Best.

thebenedictine
December 15th, 2018, 12:33 AM
Lamy 2K
Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze
Montblanc 146
Sailor 1911 Large
Platinum 3776

Realistically, the Lamy and/or 3776 have the greatest chance of being added. Maybe a 1911 Large if I’m really lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

penwash
December 15th, 2018, 09:04 AM

Thanks, David!

The Pen Agora is closed as a market, but Redeem Pens is still alive and well on its Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/redeempens/) and now Facebook Redeem Pens (https://www.facebook.com/redeempens/) page that is starting to get some traction.

penwash
December 15th, 2018, 09:08 AM

+1. I also enjoyed seeing all of the interesting restored pens and sketches that you put up, Will. I still use the frankenpen with the xxf nib you put together (although it's regulated to making out the daily grocery list and jotting down the occasional phone number) and it works very well with crappy recycled paper and Perle Noire.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BcnUKmtBSBz/

All the Best.

Thanks Jim, please visit the Redeem Pens facebook (https://www.facebook.com/redeempens/) and instagram (https://www.instagram.com/redeempens/) if you feel like it.

See, this is what makes my heart glad. That the pens I restore is valued by the new owner and used in whatever role.

KrazyIvan
December 17th, 2018, 12:05 PM
I have not purchased any pen related items in a year. No pens, no paper, no inks. I still have plenty to review. If I could buy one pen, I think it would be a Lamy Aion.

Voiren
December 17th, 2018, 01:17 PM
I want a red mottled hard rubber pen. I keep watching them come and go on eBay - I suspect the price I'm willing to pay is just too low for the market, but you never know.

I just got one of the things that would have been on my list, assuming it makes its way through the mail safely to me! A second hand Pelikan M1000. I was not expecting to find that last week! (I would prefer not-black, but like my M805, black seems to be easier to find). There are other Pelikans on my list - I love the current special editions, but again, the price makes me hesitate when I could buy umpty vintage Pelikans instead!

I want some different nibs to put in my PenBBS pens - maybe FPR?

A Regalia nib - that'll take some luck!

(I should however write with more of my recent acquisitions before buying anything else... It has been a good year for pens, for me).

Empty_of_Clouds
December 17th, 2018, 02:23 PM
I have a similar desire for a really nice ebonite pen, but whether that will be vintage or modern is a tough call. Penwash had one or two nice woodgrain versions on Pen Agora that I missed out on (in the vintage bracket), and in the modern arena I have been looking at Eboya (though the nibs are somewhat generic from what I hear).

With Pelikans I would be tempted by a Shanghai M620 (if I could ever find one), as it has personal associations, not a major desire though.

KrazyIvan
December 17th, 2018, 02:38 PM
I want a red mottled hard rubber pen. I keep watching them come and go on eBay - I suspect the price I'm willing to pay is just too low for the market, but you never know.

I just got one of the things that would have been on my list, assuming it makes its way through the mail safely to me! A second hand Pelikan M1000. I was not expecting to find that last week! (I would prefer not-black, but like my M805, black seems to be easier to find). There are other Pelikans on my list - I love the current special editions, but again, the price makes me hesitate when I could buy umpty vintage Pelikans instead!

I want some different nibs to put in my PenBBS pens - maybe FPR?

A Regalia nib - that'll take some luck!

(I should however write with more of my recent acquisitions before buying anything else... It has been a good year for pens, for me).

I have a similar desire for a really nice ebonite pen, but whether that will be vintage or modern is a tough call. Penwash had one or two nice woodgrain versions on Pen Agora that I missed out on (in the vintage bracket), and in the modern arena I have been looking at Eboya (though the nibs are somewhat generic from what I hear).

With Pelikans I would be tempted by a Shanghai M620 (if I could ever find one), as it has personal associations, not a major desire though.

One of my favorite pens is a modern "red" ebonite pens. It's an Edison Pearl with a bulb filling system and ink window. The "red" material is more of a rusty terracotta color. It is also a reason the original owner traded it to me for a few pens. He did not like the rusty color and thought it would have been a more deep red.
https://scontent-dfw5-2.cdninstagram.com/vp/833b813c971c9476443bfc7f2003b296/5CA5D91A/t51.2885-15/e35/21479679_270660563444866_4440139608671387648_n.jpg ?_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.cdninstagram.com

I liked it so much I had someone make me a barrel of the same ebonite for my Lamy Safari.

https://scontent-dfw5-2.cdninstagram.com/vp/ef347ecb1f5cac7819cc898893a3065a/5CA269B8/t51.2885-15/e35/19425495_146603252574897_7338090550228156416_n.jpg ?_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.cdninstagram.com

Empty_of_Clouds
December 17th, 2018, 03:07 PM
Heh! Not a favoured pen for me (have given away all I had), but that is still a neat idea for a Safari. :)

The Edison looks nice too, but US pen makers are a no-go zone for me so I have to look further afield.

Ahriman4891
December 17th, 2018, 06:33 PM
I'm wishing for Aurora to produce something interesting for their centenary in 2019. Pilot's 100 years offerings this year are very expensive and not really my cup of tea, and Platinum's (they share the 1919 birth year with Aurora) look kinda meh from the leak (https://www.reddit.com/r/fountainpens/comments/a5jev2/leak_of_platinums_100th_anniversary_pen/) I've seen. Aside from that, maybe a Nakaya desk pen? That's about it for the big ticket wishlist items.

top pen
December 18th, 2018, 01:55 AM
Maybe a Thuya Sheaffer Targa I got the slim this year and would like to upgrade it or have a fatter sibling. I don't see next year being a big pen buying year as other hobbies are stealing the funds

ethernautrix
December 18th, 2018, 06:08 AM
The overall trajectory for my pen... interest over the past several years has been to downsize.

I have acquired a few Pilots in the past... four years, and these have helped to keep acquisitiveness at bay. I love writing with these pens.

I'm still in the downsizing process (currently not making the effort to sell, but still intending to). At the back of mind, however, is the possibility of one of these days acquiring a maki-e Stylo Art with a Pilot PO nib. But it's not a priority for the foreseeable future.

Empty_of_Clouds
December 21st, 2018, 09:18 PM
Just looking back at my list, I think I will be looking at them from the bottom up (in terms of overall desirability).

Still, mulling over modern stuff.

birch
December 23rd, 2018, 04:57 AM
Similarly to ethernautrix I'm in the process of reducing the number of pens. I'm aiming to end up with several pens I would use daily. No wish list for the next year. Maybe a CONID and/or another Pelikan, but I can't imagine finding anything significantly better than my favourite pens I already own.

Lady Onogaro
December 23rd, 2018, 03:15 PM
Right now, I'm not feeling a yearning for any pen or ink. I'm hoping to use up some of what I have.

bluefeathers
December 26th, 2018, 12:32 PM
There are a couple pens on my wishlist, but I already have one planned for my birthday (Aurora Optima orange) and got several new pens in the second half of this year,
so I would also like to cool it, and enjoy the pens I have.

Most of the pens on my wishlist are quite expensive so not sure if/when I'll get them:

GvFC Snakewood F nib
Aurora Demo with red ends
Montblanc 146 with EF nib from mid-1990s
Montblanc Heritage 1912, EF nib

Empty_of_Clouds
December 29th, 2018, 03:52 AM
I've been idle at home for the last couple of days and decided to have a stroll around eBay. After about half an hour I realised that I wasn't looking at or for anything specific, like there is no direction to my search. Scary. Looking back at the list I posted at the beginning of the thread it seems that the P51 should be removed. I've had several really interesting examples that I flipped (and only after noticed that they were likely one-time only buys, same with the Duofold alas). I've not seen a Skyline in my favourite configuration for over a year now, so strike that, and W94s are harder to find than ever. I've tried searching for a Crest before with zero luck.

Bit of a rubbish list then really. What was I thinking?! :crazy_pilot:

christof
December 29th, 2018, 05:11 AM
...everything Pelikan 101 and 101N.
(I would be more than happy to catch only one...)
C.

kardisa
January 6th, 2019, 12:26 AM
I'm looking for a pen that I have yet to identify:

* The weight of a Parker 51
* The size of a Sailor 1911M
* A nib that writes like a Waterman No. 2 (Flexible, but can also be used as an EDC)
* NOT a c/c or eyedropper filling system

I hope to find something filling those requirements this year.