PDA

View Full Version : SOLD Vintage Watermans with Flex: 0552 Pansy Panel Overlay | 52 | NOS 42 1/2 Ripple Safety

popcod
December 16th, 2018, 04:54 PM
https://i.imgur.com/opjd1Xj.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/xcXVfUV.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/adZKoap.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ykol1sA.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/6t8LgLY.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/i0Uz4Bu.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/MqnMGZO.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/xPaSSyv.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/4ejrvPB.jpg

Condition (n.b.): All pens listed below have been disassembled, cleaned and restored with new sacs (if applicable) installed in the last couple weeks. Each is guaranteed to fill and write as designed without leaks or other issues. Nibs have been adjusted when necessary to ensure that all lay down a smooth and consistent line. These pens have no cracks, chips, personal engravings, missing parts, bent nibs, misaligned tines, or threading issues.

1. c.1924-7 Waterman 0552 Gold-Filled Pansy Panel Overlay (gold-filled over BHR, lever filler, 14k XF Superflex nib). The is a full-sized, standard girth model, measuring a hair under 5 1/2" capped. Waterman's early 20th century overlays exhibit a level of craftsmanship and attention to detail that is all but unmatched by anything being made today. This gold-filled 0552 overlay features one of their most exquisite Art Deco motifs, a pattern known as Pansy Panel. The pattern had several variations, some of which have more detail and sharpness than others. This is the most ornate and finely wrought example I've personally ever seen. The pen is equipped with a 14k Super-Flexible Ideal #2 nib that epitomizes the expressive writing characteristics that early Watermans are known for. It lays down a smooth and consistent XF line that widens to a BBB+ under light pressure (see writing sample). Thin hairlines, strong snap-back, and generous flow under full flex make it a great choice for calligraphic writing styles such as Copperplate and Spencerian. Condition: excellent. These pens are frequently found with engraved details weakened by years of wear. But the pattern on this one appears as sharp and deep as it did when it left the factory. No dents or dings to the overlay, the cap's crown included, which remains perfectly round. And there's no brassing whatsoever aside from one spot surrounding the small end of the lever (see photos). Hard rubber retains it's factory black hue with smooth, lustrous surface and no notable blemishes. And imprint toward the end of the barrel as well as number stamp on the butt are sharp, deep, and fully legible. An exceptional writer in collector-grade condition, worthy of being passed down for generations to come. Price: $350 SOLD

2. c.1915 Waterman 12 PSF (BHR, NPT, lever filler, 14k XF Superflex/Wet Noodle nib). The is a full-sized, standard girth model, measuring a hair under 5 1/2" capped. The transitory predecessor of the 52, Waterman's PSF (Pocket Self-Filler) was their first foray into lever-filling pens that didn't require an eyedropper or some other ancillary equipement to be filled. Based on the raised barrel threads, this appears to be an early PSF: smooth black hard rubber with nickel-plated clip and lever. 14k Ideal NY #2 nib yields Super-flexible variation with softness verging on a Wet Noodle. It lays down a smooth and consistent XF line that widens to a BBB+ under light/very light pressure (see writing sample). Generous flow under pressure, thin hairlines, and near effortless variation make it an ideal choice for calligraphic writing styles such as Copperplate and Spencerian. Condition: excellent. Hard rubber retains a dark black color with minimal fading and smooth, lustrous finish with no notable blemishes. Nickel-plating is clean and bright with no brassing aside from some of the typical wear to the clip ball. Barrel imprint is weak but still fully legible. Number stamp on butt of the barrel is sharper with traces of the original red fill. A well-preserved pen with a killer nib. Price: $220 SOLD

3. 1920s-30s Waterman 52 Ringtop (BCHR, NPT, lever filler, 14k F Flex/Superflex nib). The is a full-sized, standard girth model, measuring 5 1/2" capped. It's a late-production, BCHR 52 in a configuration I've never seen before. The pen came clipless from the factory (no holes drilled) but it features what appears to be a factory-original ringtop, an addition usually reserved for Waterman's Vestpocket models. If I were to speculate, I'd say it was a special order made by a customer who preferred a ringtop to a clip, perhaps for the purposes of carrying it in a pocket attached to a chain like a pocket watch. Later 14k Ideal #2 nib yields Super-flexible variation with Flexible softness, laying down a smooth and consistent F line that widens to a BBB+ under moderate pressure (see writing sample). Condition: excellent. You'd be hard pressed to find a pen with crisper chasing. Like the imprints and barrel-butt number stamp, it's sharp and deep with no discernible wear. Hard rubber retains dark black hue with little fading and smooth, lustrous finish with no significant blemishes. Trim is clean aside from a ding to one side of the lever box (does not impair function at all) and a small spot on the end of the lever globe where the nickel has lost some of its luster. An interesting variation on Waterman's classic workhorse and another delightfully expressive writer. Price: $175 SOLD

4. 1920s Waterman 42 1/2 Ripple Safety – NOS stickered and uninked (Red and Black Ripple HR, safety/eyedropper filler, 14k F Superflex factory Stub). The is the slender model, measuring 4.4" capped and 5.5" posted. Red and black ripple hard rubber with Waterman's globe imprint on the barrel and '42 1/2' stamped on its butt. Clipless from the factory (no holes drilled in the cap for one). When is the last time you saw a New Old Stock Waterman's Ripple with its original stickers? One of the stickers marks the price of the pen at 110 Francs, suggesting the pen was manufactured for sale on the French market. I disassembled and inspected this pen with a loupe and LED penlight, then flushed it with water, and I found no trace of ink whatsoever, neither in the cap nor anywhere in the barrel. Based on this inspection, I think it's safe to say it's going on 100 years uninked(!) For this reason, I haven't inked it to make a writing sample. Instead, I've filled it with water and stored it for a week to confirm there are no leaks (there aren't) and tested the nib for smoothness with water (it's smooth). In so doing, I found the nib to be in the Super-flexible range and, judging by the tipping, it appears to be a F factory stub. If you decide to ink this pen, it will be covered by my usual guarantees for nibs and filling systems. If it doesn't write smoothly and consistently or hold ink as designed, I'll fix any problems for you and have it back in a week at no extra charge. This safety pen has a retractable nib (cf. Montblanc's Boheme) that smoothly extends by means of a spiral mechanism inside when the knob on the end of the barrel is turned (see detail photo). This creates an ink-tight seal in the barrel when writing. Turned the other way, the nib retracts into the barrel, which enables the pen to be filled directly through the section with an eyedropper/pipette. Once the nib is retracted and the cap screwed on, the section creates an ink-tight seal against the inner cap, preventing leaks into the cap when carried (hence the name "Safety Pen"). Condition: near mint. As mentioned, this pen is new old stock, stickered, and uninked. Surface is smooth with no notable blemishes and imprints are as sharp and deep as the day it left the factory. I'd call it mint were it not for some fading of the color on the barrel and cap, which could be polished away if one can figure out a way to avoid damage to the stickers. Speaking of which, the stickers are still solidly affixed but 1/4 of one and 3/4 of the other has been torn off over the years. The portions that remain read: "[Water]man—Fcs 110" and "Plume." A beautiful pen and a rare piece of history. Examples like this one are pretty durn hard to come by these days. Price: $270 $240 SOLD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shipping: To CONUS locations buyer may opt for either:

• USPS First-Class with tracking for $4;
• USPS Priority with tracking for $8.

Please contact me for shipping quote if located overseas (delivery confirmation required).

Order, Payment, & Guarantee: Pens are placed on hold for the first person to PM me with firm request to purchase, to which I’ll reply with payment details. If I haven't received Paypal payment within 24 hrs, then they become available to the next person. All pens are guaranteed to be in the condition in which I've described them. If I've missed something or the filling mechanism is not fully functional, the buyer may contact me up to 7 days after receiving the pen for a full refund (issued once I receive the pen back in the same condition as sold). I've sold pens online for over a decade. Please check my past listings here as well as on the classifieds and historical sales forums on FPN (username: Estragon) for some of my previous offerings.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

popcod
January 6th, 2019, 03:29 PM
Reduction made on the last remaining pen :bump2: