PDA

View Full Version : I bought this Sheaffer today. Anyone know what model it is?

Chrissy
December 31st, 2018, 02:45 PM
As the title says. I bought this Sheaffer pen today and am not sure what model it is. Some sort of a Snorkel maybe? Any help would be greatly appreciated. It could be the oldest pen in my collection..... :)

I didn't pay very much for it, and I know it has a 14ct nib.

whych
December 31st, 2018, 06:09 PM
Looks like one of the Craftsmen touchdown models.
Have a look at: http://penhero.com/PenGallery/Sheaffer/Sheaffer.htm
and: http://penhero.com/PenGallery/Sheaffer/SheafferTipDip.htm

You should be able to find it there.

pajaro
January 1st, 2019, 05:36 PM
Looks like the TD Craftsman.

Chrissy
January 2nd, 2019, 02:28 AM
Looks like the TD Craftsman.

After looking at the links very kindly mentioned by "whych", I hd come down on the side of the Sheaffer TD Cadet, as the main difference between that and the Craftsman seems to be that the latter has a stainless steel cap while the Cadet has a plastic cap.

whych
January 2nd, 2019, 05:05 AM
What does the barrel imprint say: Does it say Made in USA or Australia?
Other points to look for are:
The nib (it should be 33 or something. 52 nibs are very uncommon)
Does it have the price under the Sheaffer's/Made in (should be 330 for $3.30, from memory)

The cadets are, according to PenHero, meant to have a screw in nib.

Oh and then to throw a spanner in the works, they also did a similar looking pen in lever fill.

I know there are/used to be Aus collectors here like HughC who should be able to give you more info.

Sorry I can't be more help, it's nearly 10 years since I last chased Sheaffers.

BTW, have you looked on FPN for info?

Chrissy
January 2nd, 2019, 05:19 AM
What does the barrel imprint say: Does it say Made in USA or Australia?
Other points to look for are:
The nib (it should be 33 or something. 52 nibs are very uncommon)
Does it have the price under the Sheaffer's/Made in (should be 330 for $3.30, from memory)

The cadets are, according to PenHero, meant to have a screw in nib.

Oh and then to throw a spanner in the works, they also did a similar looking pen in lever fill.

I know there are/used to be Aus collectors here like HughC who should be able to give you more info.

Sorry I can't be more help, it's nearly 10 years since I last chased Sheaffers.

BTW, have you looked on FPN for info?
I don't have it yet but I know that the nib says 14K and 23 and that it is Made in Australia.
Thank you for your help. :)

whych
January 2nd, 2019, 05:28 AM
I don't have it yet but I know that the nib says 14K and 23 and that it is Made in Australia.
Thank you for your help. :)
Then HughC is your man for info.
I think the Aus production varies from the main US production and doesn't get a mention on the main Sheaffer sites.

There is more on the Craftsman TD on this page:
http://penhero.com/PenGallery/Sheaffer/SheafferTMTouchdown.htm
Scroll down the page because most of the pens have a Triumph nib.

From memory, those nibs will fit a pelikan m200 feed as well as some old Faber Castell/Osmias.

G Mark W
January 3rd, 2019, 03:01 AM
From the picture and description it appears to be an Australian Touchdown Cadet. Key identifying points are 14K No. 23 nib and standard (as opposed to Tip-Dip) feed.

The Australian factory produced two TD Cadet versions: the TD Cadet in the early-to-mid 1950s and the TD Tip-Dip Cadet 23 in the early 1960s. Most of the latter have matching grip sections.