PDA

View Full Version : Pink Floyd

JustinJ
May 22nd, 2013, 06:24 PM
It has been about six months since I last listened to Pink Floyd's Animals. I am listening to it tonight. What a great album. Anyone else like Pink Floyd?

I like most of their albums except some of their earliest albums. If I was pressed on my favorite, it would be Meddle.

Tracy Lee
May 22nd, 2013, 06:48 PM
Haven't listened in ages, but loved their albums when I was in college. I may need to dig out Dark Side of the Moon - tops on my list.

thagbert
May 22nd, 2013, 06:56 PM
Wish You Were Here. All time favorite Pink Floyd album!

Followed by, The Wall, Dark Side of the Moon, and A Momentary Lapse of Reason.

jar
May 22nd, 2013, 06:58 PM
No Floyd today but was listening to Cream, GD, the Beachboys and Yardbirds.

MadAmos
May 22nd, 2013, 07:37 PM
I am a fan and for me Pulse is my favorite with Momentary Lapse of Reason a close second. :rockon:

Frank
May 22nd, 2013, 08:08 PM
Sure do! Get to hear at least one Floyd song daily on local classic rock station
(WMGK- www.wmgk.com) Philly station- they play a block of Led Zep, Beatles, and Stones everyday!

:)

JustinJ
May 22nd, 2013, 08:15 PM
I like Wish You Were Here and the Pulse concert DVD is excellent. Dark Side of the Moon is my second favorite album. My seven year old daughter loves Another Brick in the Wall. It is fun to hear her sing it.

I would have to say that my favorite Pink Floyd album changes upon further thinking. Most of them are all excellent.

I usually listen to vinyl and let my children pick what we will listen to. Sometimes they will pick classic rock and other times jazz. I introduced them to old Yes this past month and they loved it.

JustinJ
May 22nd, 2013, 08:21 PM
Sure do! Get to hear at least one Floyd song daily on local classic rock station
(WMGK- www.wmgk.com) Philly station- they play a block of Led Zep, Beatles, and Stones everyday!

:)

How many songs from today will be played 40 years later on the radio? It is hard to beat classic rock. It is was a special and creative time for music during the classic rock period. There was some amazing songs and groups. The music is timeless.

jbb
May 22nd, 2013, 08:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJZ-uoXnfWg

orfew
May 22nd, 2013, 09:25 PM
I listen to Pink Floyd quite often. My favourite older album is ummagumma followed by atom heart mother. I enjoy the final cut as well. As for later albums, The Division Bell is a true masterpiece.

earthdawn
May 22nd, 2013, 11:30 PM
Hehe... LOVE Floyd..

Ill give the short version of my story.

My first wife and I loved Floyd equally and when they were on Long Island at Nassau Colosseum we went opening night. Then they added a final show and when tickets went one sale we grab a pair. Soooo... we get there for the last night only to see thousands of people outside trying to get tickets Every window and entrance had signs saying they were filming that night. Momentary Lapse of Reason. Watching the video we can see ourselves for a flash across the crowd lol

Was really cool seeing the setup that night so they could film it.

Ohhh... quick one. We saw them in New Jersey at the Meadowlands and just as they went into Comfortably Numb it started to lightly rain... coming down through all the lasers etc. made it just magical !

PS... Best seats were always, IMO, first row center but in the upper deck so you had a full stage view ;)

What a show they put on !!!

peterpen53
May 23rd, 2013, 02:29 AM
I like Wish You Were Here and the Pulse concert DVD is excellent. Dark Side of the Moon is my second favorite album. My seven year old daughter loves Another Brick in the Wall. It is fun to hear her sing it.

I would have to say that my favorite Pink Floyd album changes upon further thinking. Most of them are all excellent.

I usually listen to vinyl and let my children pick what we will listen to. Sometimes they will pick classic rock and other times jazz. I introduced them to old Yes this past month and they loved it.

It always irks me that they left Astronome Domine out of the concert on the DVD (it was a studio "extra"), while it is on the Pulse CD. My favourite Pink Floyd song ever. Nothing beats the live version on the Ummagumma live disk.
I really like Meddle and judging by my ratings The Division Bell seems to be my favourite album.
Animals? Sheep!!
Yes were unique in their own way.

BikerBabe
May 23rd, 2013, 05:16 AM
Put short:
Gilmour is God! :D

JustinJ
May 23rd, 2013, 05:54 PM
I did not realize there were so many Pink Floyd fans in this forum. I enjoyed reading everyone's responses.

klpeabody
May 27th, 2013, 07:18 PM
Great thread. I would say The Wall, and Momentary Lapse of Reason are my favorites.

ethernautrix
May 28th, 2013, 04:18 PM
Pink Floyd is my FAVORITE. Pink Floyd is my Nakaya of music.

Favorite album: ANIMALS, but sooooo love WISH YOU WERE HERE and DARK SIDE OF THE MOON. Like the others, too. I was JUST listening to these three albums the day before yesterday.

The way I discovered Pink Floyd was I was watching WKRP IN CINCINNATI: Carl Anderson is talking to Dr. Fever (the deejay) and this song was playing in the background. Anderson picks up the album cover and says "PIG ON A WING?" Or "PIGS (THREE DIFFERENT ONES)?" and I grabbed a pen and some paper and wrote it down. The next time I went to the record store, I looked for it. Been my favorite ever since.

TMac
May 29th, 2013, 06:48 PM
My favorite is probably Momentary Lapse of Reason. Although it is really hard to pick one favorite, they are all really good.

ethernautrix
May 29th, 2013, 08:07 PM
Ah... I went to a record release party for A MOMENTARY LAPSE OF REASON at a recording studio in Berkeley. Pink Floyd wasn't there, though. I do like that album, haven't listened to it in years. Must correct that.

Titivillus
June 12th, 2013, 09:25 AM
I've probably got their whole discography at home. Find that I'm in a "shine on you crazy diamond mood right now". There's a jazz remix of the song used in a recent movie that is really quite good as well.

And I have 4 versions of Dark side of the moon: original, a Dub version, and a rock and a classical.

As an aside Netflicks has a documentary series of classic records and DSOTM is one. Great to hear them all talking about how it was made. And a bonus of seeing the tape loop for money being played.