PDA

View Full Version : Incowrimo-2019 - who is up for it this February?

Morgaine
January 4th, 2019, 02:05 PM
4 weeks away, so who is up for this?

VertOlive
January 5th, 2019, 08:48 PM
Reposting from my comment on the "Did You Correspond Today" thread.

In a word: "Yep". Have ordered new return address stickers and new stamps for the occasion over on Etsy.

Tooled up and dialed in!

Morgaine
January 7th, 2019, 06:53 PM
February 2012 was my first month of letters, so this is my 8th year of February letter craziness.

Chrissy
January 7th, 2019, 11:10 PM
I don't like to post my name and address details on the InCoWriMo site, but I always take part. If any FPG member wants my details, I'm happy to oblige....:)

DaveBj
January 8th, 2019, 08:08 AM
I'm ready. As far as I know, my particulars are still on the InCoWriMo list; I'll doublecheck after they open access on the 18th. I'm not making any vows about writing a letter a day, but I'm going to try hard to have an empty incoming slot in my caddy at the end of the month.

Voiren
January 8th, 2019, 02:56 PM
I mentioned in the other thread, but yes, I've joined. There may be sketches on (at least some) letters instead of ink reviews in Feb!

VertOlive
January 8th, 2019, 06:23 PM
Posting my address here because the InCo site doesn't identify me as Vert Olive:

Diana Vredeveld
411 E. 6th St.
Hereford, TX 79045
USA

although
January 8th, 2019, 07:18 PM
I'm in! It's my second year. This year I have many more pens to work with!

Morgaine
January 18th, 2019, 03:18 PM
And the address list is now up.

Voiren
January 18th, 2019, 04:21 PM
I'm on the list, but if anyone here wants to add me to their address lists, pm me!

Morgaine
January 18th, 2019, 05:31 PM
I printed some new return address labels, getting myself organised... Will leave it until nearer the day to pick victims... Still writing to victims from 2014 onwards!

Chrissy
January 19th, 2019, 01:38 AM
I printed some new return address labels, getting myself organised... Will leave it until nearer the day to pick victims... Still writing to victims from 2014 onwards!

I've lost a few "previous victims" over the years :) but might pick up some more.

Morgaine
January 19th, 2019, 12:16 PM
Certainly happy to umm victimise people!

radellaf
January 19th, 2019, 09:50 PM
I'm on the inco2019 list, but is there a list of fountain-pen-fan people? I was looking here but didn't find an obvious addresses thread?

That site's list has grown large and unwieldy, and with no profiles and not even pens in common, it's too hard to figure what to write. I'm not going to just send "hi, happy incowrimo" postcards, either ;)

VertOlive
January 19th, 2019, 10:16 PM
I'm on the inco2019 list, but is there a list of fountain-pen-fan people? I was looking here but didn't find an obvious addresses thread?

That site's list has grown large and unwieldy, and with no profiles and not even pens in common, it's too hard to figure what to write. I'm not going to just send "hi, happy incowrimo" postcards, either ;)

No list of FP users or profile. We used to post our own list here, but not lately. I do post my address here and others offer to pm theirs if you ask.

But, for what it's worth, I mostly got FP letters from those on the official InCo list.

VertOlive
January 19th, 2019, 10:26 PM
So most of my new Etsy stuff has arrived for InCo: address labels and three new rubber stamps.

What is everyone's strategy for picking new names from the list? This year I might write to every small town in Texas to get to know my new home state better, the rest will each be sent to a different non-US address.

Morgaine
January 20th, 2019, 11:06 AM
Last year, for some, I picked trees - so, fruit trees, plus oak, pine, etc....

VertOlive
January 20th, 2019, 04:01 PM

As in last names or street names?

Morgaine
January 21st, 2019, 05:51 AM

As in last names or street names?

Either the name or address. I didn't write to every tree though.

azkid
January 22nd, 2019, 01:59 PM
I must be dumb because I cannot figure out their website. Like, where is the list? How do you join? What is it exactly?

Chrissy
January 22nd, 2019, 02:25 PM
I must be dumb because I cannot figure out their website. Like, where is the list? How do you join? What is it exactly?

It took me ages to find the address book too, because the web-site address only includes it if you are on the 2019 page. Here is the 2019 address book (http://incowrimo-2019.org/portfolio/address-book-2019/)
Once you are on the 2019 page, you can add your own name and address or access the list.

Morgaine
January 22nd, 2019, 02:59 PM
You sign up https://incowrimo-2019.org/portfolio/join-in-2019/ (I suggest not having it roll over for next year's). Then, within 24 hours, your address should appear over on the huge ginormous list https://incowrimo-2019.org/portfolio/address-book-2019/ it can look a bit unwieldy. I did notice that signing up for it ends at the end of January.

There are also a few places for comments - the comment section https://incowrimo-2019.org/portfolio/comments-2019/ and also on the address book itself. Plus, there are some blog posts. Comments also need to be approved before being published.

(I'm not running this)

VertOlive
January 24th, 2019, 08:43 PM
So. Five letters already on the in-pile. Do I stall a bit and reply after Feb. 1st?

Dilemma...

Chrissy
January 24th, 2019, 10:43 PM
So. Five letters already on the in-pile. Do I stall a bit and reply after Feb. 1st?

Dilemma...
I've been wondering exactly the same....:)

Morgaine
January 25th, 2019, 06:43 AM
I have a little bit of a pile. One letter just in today from an InCo-16 pal! I have one letter stamped ready for posting to an InCo-15 pal!

I think I should try to make a dent in my pile, at least half to be written before the end of the month. One letter a day would be less than half my current pile!

If you are in a letter writing mood, then you should write!

VertOlive
January 26th, 2019, 09:32 AM
Busy weekend in the funeral home, but if I find the time, I decided to write a reply to the letter which arrived first and which is from my oldest pen pal. There--Executive Decision Made!

Below is my "Writing Atrium" from which my InCo efforts will fly forth. Yes, that IS a bust of Diana in the corner and a wall fountain for sound effects...

https://i.imgur.com/DUGd26k.jpg

jbb
January 26th, 2019, 05:42 PM
The lure of InCoWriMo is upon me. Is it cheating if you write 28 letters in February but not one per day?

Chrissy
January 27th, 2019, 12:43 AM
The lure of InCoWriMo is upon me. Is it cheating if you write 28 letters in February but not one per day?
Nothing is cheating. :) You can write as many or as few as you like and send them when you like. :)

FredRydr
January 27th, 2019, 07:00 AM
Nothing is cheating. :) You can write as many or as few as you like and send them when you like. :)
That's my take on corresponding, all year long.

benjitzu
January 27th, 2019, 11:41 AM
I haven't pulled the trigger yet on joining the 'official' Incowrimo site but would love to send letters to new people. I'll PM several on this thread and welcome anyone to contact me as well.

A bit of background, if it's helpful...

I travel almost full-time and have for over a decade (partly for business, but mostly cause I want to). Grew up in the Rockies so I'm a mountain man at heart. I always gravitate to locations with mountains (Sierras, Rockies, Alps, etc) and have lived all over North America and Europe (and the Philippines, but that was a while ago). Besides my love for all things fountain pens, inks, and paper, I love motorcycles (put over 20k miles on mine last year), anything outdoorsy (camping, hiking, etc), animals (especially my cat, Songi), literature, history, yummy tea (Lapsang souchong and Fortnum & Mason's Royal Blend are my favs at the moment), and a gazillion other things. I have yet to meet a person with whom I can't connect about something - there are so many awesome things in life that there's bound to be a shared interest somewhere.

Ben Austin
PO Box 702638
Salt Lake City, UT 84170

(I have this PO BOX so all my mail gets forwarded to wherever I happen to be)

Empty_of_Clouds
January 27th, 2019, 03:21 PM
Could someone explain a bit about how this works. I ask because a typical letter for me is about 6-8 sides of A5, which would be difficult on a daily basis. What do other people do? Is there a kind of accepted first letter format?

Morgaine
January 27th, 2019, 03:56 PM
On days I hadn't felt like writing letters, I did send out Postcrossing postcards. Maybe a friend or family have birthdays coming up and sending them a card could count too. The slightly different project of A Month Of Letters http://lettermo.com/about-the-challenge/ allows for other things to be mailed.

The projects are supposed to be enjoyable, if you can't commit to every day, don't fret.. Some letters I write may not be completed on the day, some take time to write. My letters are of varying lengths, shortest perhaps is two sides of A5, longest around 15+ pages of A5. I like the variety.

As for first letter format - I'm in a few penpal groups on Facebook. They call the first letter the intro letter. Some will send the same thing to every potential penpal, a form letter CV-like applying for the position of your penpal, with very little personalisation, one-sided (in style) all about the person sending. Others might ramble on with stories and experiences, introducing themselves a little bit at a time, and other letters. Postcrossing has a motto - send the quality of postcard that you are happy to receive yourself. InCoWriMo-sent letters should make someone's day. Some letters, even first ones, can have you in stitches :rofl:

Chrissy
January 28th, 2019, 07:50 AM
....longest around 15+ pages of A5.

Wow! :jaw: that's an impressive letter. :)

FredRydr
January 28th, 2019, 10:57 AM
Pica, double spaced?

Morgaine
January 28th, 2019, 01:07 PM
I sent an 8 sided A5 letter today.

Morgaine
January 28th, 2019, 01:54 PM
A woo hoo perhaps for Eric as the site is updated. https://incowrimo.org/2019/01/incowrimo-address-exchange-2019/

VertOlive
January 28th, 2019, 07:05 PM
EOClouds: while a daily letter during February is a goal, do as you will.

My intro letters to strangers are usually both sides of an 8" x11" sheet. A little about me and the reason I chose them off the giant list, mixed with some specific questions for them about where they live, what they do, who they are.

Do it your way, enjoy yourself.

Empty_of_Clouds
January 28th, 2019, 10:12 PM
I guess I just lack imagination. :rain: Thanks for the tips though.

Morgaine
January 29th, 2019, 06:04 AM
Not quite penpal letters, but do have a look at http://www.lettersofnote.com/ - there are so great letters there. Also available in book format, 2 volumes.

Chrissy
January 29th, 2019, 07:54 AM
A woo hoo perhaps for Eric as the site is updated. https://incowrimo.org/2019/01/incowrimo-address-exchange-2019/

After I read this, I asked Eric if the old InCoWriMo 2014 thread here on FPG could also be unstuck and a brand new 2019 thread (https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/27048-InCoWriMo-2019-Address-Exchange) stuck on instead, and it's been done. Thanks Eric. :cheers:

sgtstretch
January 29th, 2019, 09:16 AM
Stamp stash refilled, and a large pile of envelopes have been made. I'm ready for the start of February.

VertOlive
January 29th, 2019, 06:37 PM
I guess I just lack imagination. :rain: Thanks for the tips though.

Well, you could pm me your address and I'll send you my idea of an intro letter. Better check my profile though, there are "trigger" topics there (!)

VertOlive
January 29th, 2019, 06:39 PM
Stamp stash refilled, and a large pile of envelopes have been made. I'm ready for the start of February.

You are just astonishingly tireless with your Original Envelope productions! They're always appreciated.

Chrissy
January 29th, 2019, 10:57 PM
"large pile of envelopes have been made" sounds fascinating. Are you up for an exchange with a UK Geek?

Morgaine
January 30th, 2019, 03:04 AM
Come on January, move over!

FredRydr
January 30th, 2019, 06:42 AM
My postage stamp purchases have been ridiculous lately.

Morgaine
January 30th, 2019, 12:28 PM
You've had the domestic forever price rise, so I guess you've stocked up!

New issue of stamps here next week or is it the week after. Royal Mail's stamp calendar supposedly celebrates all things British. Leonardo da Vinci is the theme!

Morgaine
January 30th, 2019, 12:57 PM
So most of my new Etsy stuff has arrived for InCo: address labels and three new rubber stamps.

What is everyone's strategy for picking new names from the list? This year I might write to every small town in Texas to get to know my new home state better, the rest will each be sent to a different non-US address.

I'm thinking this year of grabbing the nearest book / magazine, turning to page ??? and seeing what words/names appear there... and CTRL+F them into the address book page. I probably won't pick all my victims this way. I also won't pick too far in advance, and may be using different books / magazines as the month goes on.

VertOlive
January 31st, 2019, 09:30 PM
Cry "InCo" and let slip the letters of February!!!

Morgaine
February 1st, 2019, 08:29 AM
I'll be posting my first InCo-2019 letter today, plus a letter I wrote yesterday.