PDA

View Full Version : Iroshizuku Ink Caps

southpaw52
January 4th, 2019, 02:39 PM
I really enjoy using Pilot's Iroshizuku inks. The caps are not the best. I contacted Pilot about the issue with the cap and they are sending a replacement cap.
Great customer service.

stub
January 4th, 2019, 09:28 PM
I have broken 3 already. I might be crazy but these feel like, of all things, Bakelite. Which is a horrible brittle thing to make a cap out of in 201x. Lovely for guitar pick guards (one of its properties is electrical nonconductivity) and has a nice feel but really an odd material to use.

The 1940s called. They want their Bakelite back. har har.

Or maybe it isn't bakelite and just feels like it.

FYI: Pilot regular ink caps are threaded the same way.

Chrissy
January 5th, 2019, 01:22 AM
I think they are just made from plastic that seems quite brittle. They can also get stuck and are then difficult to unscrew. :(

Lady Onogaro
January 7th, 2019, 09:13 PM
I've had the same problem. I have one broken cap (usable, but ick). I'm looking for a replacement cap.

Chrissy
January 7th, 2019, 11:08 PM
I've had the same problem. I have one broken cap (usable, but ick). I'm looking for a replacement cap.
I think you will find that Pelikan or Kaweco caps might be the same size. Maybe even one from a larger size cola bottle will work.

aurore
January 9th, 2019, 01:28 AM
Very true. Edelstein caps are for life :)

azkid
January 17th, 2019, 08:02 PM
The 1940s called. They want their Bakelite back. har har.

I noticed the cap on my Quink Black looks and feels like Bakelite as well. (I'm comparing it to my working Western Electric 302 on my work desk) :)

adhoc
January 26th, 2019, 12:37 AM
I lubricate the threads of my Iroshizuku (and also Waterman) ink bottles. I guarantee you your caps will never break again.
Use the cheapest silicone grease you can find. Just make sure you don’t get the nib of the pen in contact with it when refilling.

catbert
January 26th, 2019, 01:32 AM
It helps to wipe the rim and threads of the bottle after each filling. Ink that dries there contributes to the cap sticking.

Chrissy
January 26th, 2019, 01:37 AM
It helps to wipe the rim and threads of the bottle after each filling. Ink that dries there contributes to the cap sticking.
+1 for this. It's something I always do, with every ink bottle. :)

KrazyIvan
January 27th, 2019, 03:15 PM
My Kon Peki ink is sealed shut and I have tried everything I know to do to open it without breaking the cap. No luck. :cry:

catbert
January 27th, 2019, 04:13 PM
My Kon Peki ink is sealed shut and I have tried everything I know to do to open it without breaking the cap. No luck. :cry:

Have you tried soaking the exposed part of the neck of the bottle or holding it under running water? Might just be enough to loosen dried ink on the threads. A rubber grip helps too.

KrazyIvan
January 27th, 2019, 06:19 PM

Have you tried soaking the exposed part of the neck of the bottle or holding it under running water? Might just be enough to loosen dried ink on the threads. A rubber grip helps too.

Yes, I have tried that. I know I wiped the cap threads before replacing the cap. It is something I've done for a while now, so, I am unsure why the cap is stuck.

catbert
January 27th, 2019, 06:44 PM
Last resort:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTSaEbNTIOg

jmccarty3
January 27th, 2019, 07:29 PM

Hold the bottle upside down for about five minutes under warm running water, then tap the cap edge gently in several places against the counter. That has always worked for me. I also try to place the tassel inside the lowest cap thread--that seems to help.

radellaf
April 3rd, 2019, 11:12 PM
I think you will find that Pelikan or Kaweco caps might be the same size. Maybe even one from a larger size cola bottle will work.

I was getting ready to pour the Iroshizuku into a spare Sheaffer ink bottle and then noticed the Sheaffer cap fits. I may still try to get this 3D printed cap made, though: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2296689

Chrissy
April 3rd, 2019, 11:41 PM

Yes, I have tried that. I know I wiped the cap threads before replacing the cap. It is something I've done for a while now, so, I am unsure why the cap is stuck.
Did you ever manage to get your cap off of your Kon Peki bottle?